gyso
steve3344
NYCelt
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Huge Mistake by the Celtics Empty Huge Mistake by the Celtics

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 am

I can't believe we didn't unload Ray Allen when we had the chance.

He has no outstanding value to us at this point.

He'll probably never be a difference maker again this year.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Huge Mistake by the Celtics Empty Re: Huge Mistake by the Celtics

Post by steve3344 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 am

Nice sarcasm NY.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:19 am

NYCelt wrote:I can't believe we didn't unload Ray Allen when we had the chance.

He has no outstanding value to us at this point.

He'll probably never be a difference maker again this year.

That friggin' guy is gonna cost us a game someday!!

Yeah right, only if the word "cost" means the same as the word "win".
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 am

The best was KG messin with their young heads when he was holding a hand of

jack, two, five, seven, eight of diiff suits.

THATS what experience brings you. we couldnt have played worse!

Ah so sweet.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Walter (his real name) has had a good string here of playing well, no doubt. But he is going to be 35 at the start of next season, even if we do re-sign him. If he leaves the team now, we get NOTHING for him; had we traded him for future considerations, we could have planned for the future more effectively. Its easy to get sucked into what has happened to his play since the trade deadline, but thats shortsighted. He should be fun to watch for the rest of this season, then the season will end and our hands will be empty. Personally, I would have preferred to trade him. The team is getting awefully old, and they are not playing well enough to win a ring this year, most likely. If we cannot get new younger players we will not compete for a ring for many many years.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm

jeb65 wrote:The best was KG messin with their young heads when he was holding a hand of

jack, two, five, seven, eight of diiff suits.

THATS what experience brings you. we couldnt have played worse!

Ah so sweet.

if he had 5 cards how could they all be of different suits?

just wonderin how you play poker!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

beat

Pretty well actually. In spite of my 5 suits...I should never write anything pre java.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am

Pumpsie Green wrote:Walter (his real name) has had a good string here of playing well, no doubt. But he is going to be 35 at the start of next season, even if we do re-sign him. If he leaves the team now, we get NOTHING for him; had we traded him for future considerations, we could have planned for the future more effectively. Its easy to get sucked into what has happened to his play since the trade deadline, but thats shortsighted. He should be fun to watch for the rest of this season, then the season will end and our hands will be empty. Personally, I would have preferred to trade him. The team is getting awefully old, and they are not playing well enough to win a ring this year, most likely. If we cannot get new younger players we will not compete for a ring for many many years.

Too much worry about age. It's a tired argument.

Dallas has won how many in a row? 12 straight now.

They're the oldest team in the league.

The NBA is not a young man's league and very young teams have difficulty winning championships.

There are various scenarios to play out with Ray after the season. It's premature to say his time here ends or ends badly for us.

That's why they play the games...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 am

NYCelt wrote:
Pumpsie Green wrote:Walter (his real name) has had a good string here of playing well, no doubt. But he is going to be 35 at the start of next season, even if we do re-sign him. If he leaves the team now, we get NOTHING for him; had we traded him for future considerations, we could have planned for the future more effectively. Its easy to get sucked into what has happened to his play since the trade deadline, but thats shortsighted. He should be fun to watch for the rest of this season, then the season will end and our hands will be empty. Personally, I would have preferred to trade him. The team is getting awefully old, and they are not playing well enough to win a ring this year, most likely. If we cannot get new younger players we will not compete for a ring for many many years.

The NBA is not a young man's league and very young teams have difficulty winning championships.

There are various scenarios to play out with Ray after the season. It's premature to say his time here ends or ends badly for us.

don't mind him,actually its hard not to,he loves to sprout his uneven discombobulated opinions all the time,most of the time they're always wrong then he says he really doesn't know that much about basketball,that baseball is his game.Now hes so sure were not gonna have Ray here past this year.....well alright then,lets see how it plays out.Were we real young like 3 years ago,how'd we do then?and what great analysis if we don't start getting young players we will not compete for a ring for many many years,where does he come up with this stuff.If he didn't write that I would have never known that,great points from him all the time,we should all bow to him for sharing his vision and knowledge.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 am

Pumpsie, what you are saying is not necessarily factual. By not trading Ray, the Celtics undoubtedly added a lot of good will in Ray's estimation, in addition to any allegiance he already felt concerning this team and his championship teammates. It is common practice for teams that have a good relationship with a player whose contract expires to re-sign and trade the player, meaning he still represents a possible trading chip as well as a lower-priced option for the Celtics' ongoing roster if he continues to perform as he has been. In short, this season's playoffs could very well represent his audition for the future as well as lending his obviously considerable talents to this year's effort.

In the meantime, Ray is proving to be a major stabilizer as the team goes about the business of focusing on integrating two new players and gaining good health and momentum for this year's playoffs. That's a good thing.

This thread was quite obviously intended to be a tongue-in-cheek way of expressing gratitude for Ray's good works since the trading deadline. In other words, a welcome ray of sunshine during an unsettling time for Celtics fans. Your dissenting opinion has been duly registered. Regurgitation of the same on this otherwise positive thread will be deemed to suggest an agenda of gratuitously attempting to dampen the spirit of the thread.

Thank you,

The Moderator
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 am

If Ray is not attacked by a great offensive player like a Kobe or Joe Johnson,which then affects his offense he should be fine,hes having a better year and is healthier than Ben Gorden.Hes only 35,hell I wish I could still compete and feel as good as I felt at 35.Hopefully with TA,Quis and Pierce we can limit some of his defensive responsibilty and a few minutes here and there to keep him fresh for those BIG shots.

I don't have to attack a certain poster all the time,just feel someone needed to put him in his place.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 am

Cow,

I think we moderators can make those decisions. That's why we get the big bucks. (lol) Contacting me off the board was the appropriate way for you to go; and I appreciate your extra effort in doing so.

On basketball matters, do you think Finley could be of any defensive help against bigger shooting guards? I don't know anything about his defensive credentials or whether he has enough athleticism left in the tank.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 am

Sam
I don't think Finley has anything left,hope I'm wrong.Earlier in season I posted on an old thread what is Pop doing when he was starting Finley and SA did get off to an awful start,now their going through their injury bug,hope ours are over.
On another topic,you don't have to delete anyones posts if they are bashing me,I can take care of myself here.
Thanks cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Cow,

I don't handle deletions of posts lightly, and I'm an equal opportunity deleter regardless of who may be being bashed. My main hope is that people will help me out by refraining from posting incendiary messages that could potentially goad others into getting into the personal bashing business.

I'm sure everyone on the board can take care of himself or herself. That's beside the point. It's one of my jobs as moderator to try to defuse potentially escalating situations and, to the greatest possible extent, to maintain a civil tone on the board so that no one will feel the urge to engage in vigilante justice. Any and all help in this regard is sincerely appreciated.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Sam wrote:Pumpsie, what you are saying is not necessarily factual. By not trading Ray, the Celtics undoubtedly added a lot of good will in Ray's estimation, in addition to any allegiance he already felt concerning this team and his championship teammates. It is common practice for teams that have a good relationship with a player whose contract expires to re-sign and trade the player, meaning he still represents a possible trading chip as well as a lower-priced option for the Celtics' ongoing roster if he continues to perform as he has been. In short, this season's playoffs could very well represent his audition for the future as well as lending his obviously considerable talents to this year's effort.

In the meantime, Ray is proving to be a major stabilizer as the team goes about the business of focusing on integrating two new players and gaining good health and momentum for this year's playoffs. That's a good thing.

This thread was quite obviously intended to be a tongue-in-cheek way of expressing gratitude for Ray's good works since the trading deadline. In other words, a welcome ray of sunshine during an unsettling time for Celtics fans. Your dissenting opinion has been duly registered. Regurgitation of the same on this otherwise positive thread will be deemed to suggest an agenda of gratuitously attempting to dampen the spirit of the thread.

Thank you,

The Moderator

Gratuitous: being without apparent reason, cause, or justification: a gratuitous insult.

Your assertion that my post was "gratuitous" is incorrect. It was a serious attempt to point out that one opinion, completely reasonable, was to have traded Ray Allen to improve our future outlook. Furthermore, I am not the first poster to have opined this on your board. You may assume whatever you wish however. If you would like to censor differing opinions, feel free to delete this post.

The Poster

Last edited by Pumpsie Green on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 pm

NYCelt wrote:

My point is this: if you look at the "big three" ....and Wallace...and now Finley...we are getting VERY old. The Celtics have had difficulty all year with younger more athletic teams. Thats a fact. I am not saying that we just dump everyone over 32, but if you look at the young/old balance it is now heavily weighted to being older. It is IMO unbalanced. Where is the plan for the upcoming years? Older guys-starters- are signed and committed to for some time; and, as you mentioned, there is the possibility that Ray Allen may come back again next year. His production is at its lowest level since his rookie year. Do you think that will improve with age?
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam
I don't think Finley has anything left,hope I'm wrong.Earlier in season I posted on an old thread what is Pop doing when he was starting Finley and SA did get off to an awful start,now their going through their injury bug,hope ours are over.
On another topic,you don't have to delete anyones posts if they are bashing me,I can take care of myself here.
Thanks cow

Finley has been injured; he had ankle problems. Hence, no lift in his jump shot. At the very least he will command attention beyond the arc spread the floor for the slashers on the second unit. If he is left open he CAN knock down the 3. I like the signing; I think he will surprise you.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam
Thanks cow

Finley has been injured; he had ankle problems. Hence, no lift in his jump shot. At the very least he will command attention beyond the arc spread the floor for the slashers on the second unit. If he is left open he CAN knock down the 3. I like the signing; I think he will surprise you.

pumpsie,

Finley had a severe ankle sprain this season. Obviously, that will affect your shooting. According to his agent he is completely healed now.

I agree with you he will command attention beyond the arc. Defenses will not back off him until he proves to them he no longer has it. He'll only have to hit a few for them to shelve that thought.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Pumpsie,

I don't have time for a long-winded debate on this today, but I did want to get back to you and say your opinion is as valid as anyones. We don't have to agree, and friendly debate is one of the reasons Sam created this board.

What you're missing here is the intent of the post, which was, as mentioned by another, tongue-in-cheek.

You've gotten completely away from the point, as have we all now, so it's time to let this topic fade away.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Heckler, he is exactly the kind of guy we needed on the second unit, especially after trading the House for Nate. Allen and Daniels are both slasher type players who need some open space in which to operate. Even Wallace on the block will benefit by a less congested lane. I don't expect immediate results with the addition of Finley....maybe in 3-4 games after he knocks down a few open shots the second unit could begin to gel.
Good signing...and least in principle. Of course, if Finley really does have nothing left as Cowens wrote it could implode...time will tell.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:10 pm

NYCelt wrote:Pumpsie,

I don't have time for a long-winded debate on this today, but I did want to get back to you and say your opinion is as valid as anyones. We don't have to agree, and friendly debate is one of the reasons Sam created this board.

What you're missing here is the intent of the post, which was, as mentioned by another, tongue-in-cheek.

You've gotten completely away from the point, as have we all now, so it's time to let this topic fade away.

Regards

NY, in my experience threads have a way of diverging from the immediate reason they were created. It makes for good debate sometimes. If the discussion gets way off base it may be time to create another thread or ask a poster to post on another previously created thread that more closely pertains to what he wants to say. Feel free to mention that if its appropriate...to me, or anyone here.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Pumpsie,

I think you're correct, and from your response I thank you for working with me on this.

Your thinking is one of the things that Sam has asked those of us who help moderate this board to do from day one. It's exactly our role to help make sure everyone is heard equally, has a fair say in the proper time and place and that the spirit and tone of the board remains comfortable and enjoyable for all.

Thanks again...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticFan Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Beat: Four suits were from the deck of cards. The 5th suit was in the Cleaners getting cleaned and pressed! (LOL)-MD.

MDCelticFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

MD

With the extra aces being hidden in Jeb's sleeve no doubt!
5 aces beats anything........right?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Call me crazy but I just can't shake this feeling (that runs contrary to the evidence so far) that keeping the big 3 together will pay dividends in the end....not logic, just a gut feeling....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next