cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
23 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Odds and Ends - Page 7 Empty Re: Odds and Ends

Post by Outside Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 pm

For some reason, players from the old days are feeling threatened by the Warriors' success and feel compelled to belittle Golden State as a team and Curry as an individual player. I don't understand it myself. Guys like Oscar and Kareem should feel secure enough in their accomplishments that they don't feel the need to diss current players. Why not celebrate unselfish team basketball played at a very high level?

My guess is that other teams would like these guys to shut up. The Warriors used disrespect thrown their way in the offseason to help fuel their tremendous start, and this is another jolt of disrespect to fuel their late-season push.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:20 pm

outside what did Oscar and Kareem say? anybody have any links?

seeing us lose recently to Timberwolves and Jazz to teams with bigs with post up skills shows me that style can still have a place in this league.....no team has 2 lights out shooters at the 1 and 2 like Curry and Thompson and its really hard to find those kind of elite pieces.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:23 pm

The old time fans also bask in the glory of what they perceive to have been the greatest teams and players. Its sort of a GOOD OLD DAYS MENTALITY enjoyed by many seniors. Embellishing the past is a national ritual that is always sure to make for interesting discussions.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:11 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:outside what did Oscar and Kareem say? anybody have any links?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14857175/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-finds-bashing-retired-stars-annoying

Part of Oscar's quote:

When I played years ago, if you shot a shot outside and hit it, the next time I'm going to be up on top of you. I'm going to pressure you with three-quarters, half-court defense. But now they don't do that. These coaches do not understand the game of basketball, as far as I'm concerned.

Kareem essentially agreed with him. Once Oscar's quote got into the discussion, Stephen Jackson said his 2006-07 Warriors would beat these Warriors, and Cedric Ceballos said the 1993-94 Suns would beat the Warriors.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2619726-stephen-jackson-says-2006-07-warriors-would-beat-current-warriors-team

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/02/26/cedric-ceballos-1993-94-suns-could-beat-warriors-today/81013634/
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks Outside I didn't find Oscars comments so bad, I find this era overall very weak, obviously GS is a great team. Actually disagree with Kerr saying no one in history could cover Curry, we have a player on our roster, AB who does very well against Steph. I also agree that defensively Curry would have his hands full with a primetime Kevin Johnson, more teams should attack Curry defensively if they can.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:35 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Thanks Outside I didn't find Oscars comments so bad, I find this era overall very weak, obviously GS is a great team. Actually disagree with Kerr saying no one in history could cover Curry, we have a player on our roster, AB who does very well against Steph. I also agree that defensively Curry would have his hands full with a primetime Kevin Johnson, more teams should attack Curry defensively if they can.

cowens

What in particular do you find this era to be very weak?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Thanks Outside I didn't find Oscars comments so bad, I find this era overall very weak, obviously GS is a great team. Actually disagree with Kerr saying no one in history could cover Curry, we have a player on our roster, AB who does very well against Steph. I also agree that defensively Curry would have his hands full with a primetime Kevin Johnson, more teams should attack Curry defensively if they can.

I see a couple of problems with Oscar's comments. Does he actually think that no one has thought of extending the defense on Curry? Or getting physical with him? First off, the game isn't played like it was in Oscar's day where the same guy always brought the ball upcourt and you could harass that guy full court to wear him down over the course of a game. The Warriors have at least three guys on the court at any time who bring the ball up (sometimes four or five), so that little strategy doesn't work. As far as extending the defense out to 35 feet, if you do that with one guy, Curry has great ballhandling skills, body control, and change of direction ability, so he can easily get around one guy. Double-team him, and he'll willingly give the ball up so that the Warriors now have a four-on-three. Coaches have tried this stuff, but it doesn't work because Curry turns it to his advantage and the rest of the Warriors are so good.

Teams have also tried getting physical with him, mainly when he doesn't have the ball, but this also doesn't work. For one thing, Curry is a lot stronger than he looks. He does intense core and hip strengthening, he deadlifts 400 pounds (second-most on the team to Festus Ezeli), and he has great forearm and wrist strength (which is why he maintains good shooting form out to half court), so he's not a little weakling. Then he's in incredible shape and has great stamina, so he can keep running and cutting all game long, which is the best strategy to combat physical play. He also has the perfect demeanor to combat physical play -- he doesn't get frustrated, he keeps working to free himself, and he has the mental toughness that allows him to perform well once he does get open rather than letting the pressure rattle him.

This notion that coaches in today's game can't figure out Oscar's simple solution to defending Curry is just ridiculous. They've tried it, along with everything else, and it doesn't work.

Bradley is obviously a very good defender, and he can do as well against Curry as anyone, but Curry has scored 38 and 37 points in his last two games against Boston, so it's not like Bradley is shutting him down.

Great players would be great, no matter what era they played in. I don't know why these retired players have difficulty acknowledging that.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Outside wrote:

I see a couple of problems with Oscar's comments. Does he actually think that no one has thought of extending the defense on Curry? Or getting physical with him? First off, the game isn't played like it was in Oscar's day where the same guy always brought the ball upcourt and you could harass that guy full court to wear him down over the course of a game. The Warriors have at least three guys on the court at any time who bring the ball up (sometimes four or five), so that little strategy doesn't work. As far as extending the defense out to 35 feet, if you do that with one guy, Curry has great ballhandling skills, body control, and change of direction ability, so he can easily get around one guy. Double-team him, and he'll willingly give the ball up so that the Warriors now have a four-on-three. Coaches have tried this stuff, but it doesn't work because Curry turns it to his advantage and the rest of the Warriors are so good.

Teams have also tried getting physical with him, mainly when he doesn't have the ball, but this also doesn't work. For one thing, Curry is a lot stronger than he looks. He does intense core and hip strengthening, he deadlifts 400 pounds (second-most on the team to Festus Ezeli), and he has great forearm and wrist strength (which is why he maintains good shooting form out to half court), so he's not a little weakling. Then he's in incredible shape and has great stamina, so he can keep running and cutting all game long, which is the best strategy to combat physical play. He also has the perfect demeanor to combat physical play -- he doesn't get frustrated, he keeps working to free himself, and he has the mental toughness that allows him to perform well once he does get open rather than letting the pressure rattle him.

This notion that coaches in today's game can't figure out Oscar's simple solution to defending Curry is just ridiculous. They've tried it, along with everything else, and it doesn't work.

Bradley is obviously a very good defender, and he can do as well against Curry as anyone, but Curry has scored 38 and 37 points in his last two games against Boston, so it's not like Bradley is shutting him down.

Great players would be great, no matter what era they played in. I don't know why these retired players have difficulty acknowledging that.

in the game this year Curry shot 9-27 from the field, in another game a few years ago with Bradley all over him, he shot 4 of 20something, that game was highlighted on Reds Army which showed every FG attempt and Bradley's defense was pretty incredible that game. No one shuts down Curry, but I'll take those FG%'s anytime. Didn't know Curry was such a workout warrior, its obviously helped his game as his improvement has been incredible.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:56 pm

swish wrote:

cowens

What in particular do you find this era to be very weak?

swish

there is a lack of post up players and players that can create for themselves or their team or carry their team, which has led to so much pnr and 3 ball, lots of really bad teams with too many bad young players.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:35 pm

I very seldom watch a game unless it involves the Celtics. Tonight though I tuned in to the Warriors vs Thunder and wow Curry and Durant are putting on a shooting exhibition. Guess I'm going to have to tune in to more games when they involve these two teams, plus the Spurs.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:27 pm

What an amazing shooting performance by Curry tonight. I've never seen a more cold blooded, nor better, three point shooter.

The NBA must be loving this, after tonight I'll be tuning in every time the Warriors are on.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 pm

No doubt...best shooter ever.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:35 am

bobc33 wrote:What an amazing shooting performance by Curry tonight.  I've never seen a more cold blooded, nor better, three point shooter.

The NBA must be loving this, after tonight I'll be tuning in every time the Warriors are on.

Every bar in rhe bay area with a TV was rockin' tonight.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 am

Golden State's starting frontline got outscored by OKC's starting frontline 62-12, yet the Warriors still won.  I see some guard named Curry had a pretty good game to win it for them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/golden-state-warriors-oklahoma-city-thunder-2016022725/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:08 am

I'm curious to see how we do against GS next game, I'm sure we all enjoyed the last time we played them in a thrilling game. If we can figure out where to hide IT on defense, we might be the most difficult match up for GS and Curry, because we have 2 of the best guard and PG defenders in the NBA in AB and Smart and we can run and match their pace.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:06 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/29/sports/basketball/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-oklahoma-city-thunder.html?vh=9c24cab71aad14eae16a4be2c27a50fe2bd7ab68&ts=1456677765&_r=0

Stephen Curry Can’t Be Stopped, by Any Generation

By BENJAMIN HOFFMANFEB. 28, 2016

Odds and Ends - Page 7 29curry-web-master675
Stephen Curry, No. 30, celebrated with teammates after making the game-winning 3-pointer against the Thunder Saturday night. Credit J Pat Carter/Getty Images

Stephen Curry heard the criticism this week. He heard that his success is due in part to a lack of legitimate perimeter defense in the N.B.A. He heard that today’s stars don’t play tough enough to stop him.

To put it bluntly, there was no defense in history that could have stopped what Curry did at the end of the Warriors game against the Thunder Saturday night.

Playing on the road in Oklahoma City, the Warriors were tied with the Thunder, 118-118, when Andre Iguodala pulled down a missed jumper by Russell Westbrook with about six seconds remaining in overtime. The Warriors could have called a timeout to set up their offense, but Iguodala instead chose to toss the ball to Curry, who casually made his way across mid-court. Before the Thunder could put together anything resembling a defensive play against him, Curry launched the ball toward the hoop from more than 32 feet away.

Swish. While beating the rival Thunder, Curry also broke his own record for most 3-pointers in a season (286) and tied for most in a game (12).

“What was that, 40 feet?” Draymond Green asked reporters after the game. “That’s absurd.”

Eurosport UK ✔ ‎@Eurosport_UK
Steph Curry is just ridiculous...
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Lets see if he can catch Larry Bird, no one had more game winners than Bird.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Add A Check Mark beside the following:

Determine who will start - Check
Establish a consistent rotation - Check
Win at home - Check (10 straight)
Avoid wasting assets - Check (kept the core in tact)
Win to establish home court advantage for 1st Rd.- Check (work in progress but looks good)

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:51 pm

The Celtics now have 7 players averaging double digits

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:11 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Lets see if he can catch Larry Bird, no one had more game winners than Bird.

Hard to get too many game winners when your up by 10 plus most of the time

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/phil-jackson-makes-an-absurd-steph-curry-comparison-twitter-goes-ballistic

By: Charles Curtis | February 28, 2016 1:09 pm

We all know that Phil Jackson tweets out some weird stuff sometimes, but what he sent out on Sunday sounds, on the surface, downright ridiculous:

(UPDATE: Jackson clarified what he meant on Monday)

The responses we could print were fun:

Phil Jackson ✔ ‎@PhilJackson11
Never seen anything like SCurry? Remind you of Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a short but brilliant run in NBA?
Follow

Luke Davidson ‎@LukeDavidPsy
@PhilJackson11 I didn't know it was possible to lose complete respect for you from a single post. Congrats. You did it.
8:58 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 103 103 Retweets   561 561 likes

Never seen anything like SCurry? Remind you of Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a short but brilliant run in NBA?
Follow

justin morales ‎@seabrightband
@PhilJackson11 i think you ODed on zen
9:00 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 4 4 Retweets   60 60 likes

Follow

Hool NBA ‎@Hooligan_nba
@PhilJackson11 you're talking about Seth, right?
9:20 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 7 7 Retweets   16 16 likes

No disrespect to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a solid nine-year career in the NBA after averaging 29.0 points per game at LSU, but there’s no way he’s remotely close to Steph Curry, who’s already in the conversation as one of the greatest shooters the league has ever seen. When players like LeBron James are saying things like this, you know we’re witnessing something special.

LeBron James ✔ ‎@KingJames
@StephenCurry30 needs to stop it man!! He's ridiculous man! Never before seen someone like him in the history of ball!
8:34 PM - 27 Feb 2016
 82,788 82,788 Retweets   81,781 81,781 likes

If you need further convincing, here’s a comparison from Basketball Reference:

Odds and Ends - Page 7 Curry

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, there’s a question that has to be asked: Is the Knicks president just messing with us?

Robert Ford ‎@raford3
As a Knicks fan, I'm lukewarm about Phil Jackson as a GM, but his Twitter trolling skills are second to none!
9:54 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 6 6 Retweets   14 14 likes

Jay King ✔ ‎@ByJayKing
Phil Jackson is the greatest troll of all time.
9:44 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 11 11 Retweets   25 25 likes

With the Knicks floundering at the moment, the man has to find a way to have fun.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Here is Jackson's "correction".

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/phil-jackson-clarifies-his-steph-curry-comparison-and-its-only-slightly-better

Phil Jackson clarifies his Steph Curry comparison and it's only slightly better

By: Charles Curtis | February 29, 2016 11:16 am

Phil Jackson heard all the cries of “Whaaaaaaatttt?” on Sunday over him comparing Steph Curry to former Nuggets guard Mahmoud Abul-Rauf.

8:56 AM - 28 Feb 2016
 3,459 3,459 Retweets   3,236 3,236 likes

It turns out he wasn’t trolling the world over his morning coffee. Instead, the Knicks president says he was misunderstood:

How does commenting on Rauf mean I'm comparing him to Curry?
Remind, yes, quick release, cross over, Yep, MVP, nope. Get a grip!
6:19 AM - 29 Feb 2016
 1,068 1,068 Retweets   1,474 1,474 likes

Of course we all thought Jackson was comparing Curry to Abdul-Rauf. That’s why Twitter can be such a tough place to share your opinions: If the “Zen Master” had more than 140 characters, he would have immediately clarified to say something in Abdul-Rauf’s game slightly resembles what he sees in Curry.

I sort of get it now. Someone tweeted me this video of Abdul-Rauf dropping 51 on the Utah Jazz in 1995. You can see some elements of Curry’s game here and there, including the aforementioned quick release from a small point guard. The difference is Curry seems to have this kind of game every night:

But let’s be honest here: That’s about it when it comes to the resemblance, or whatever Jackson wants us to call it. Curry is a once-in-a-generation player, one who has taken the art of shooting to absurd heights, whose ball-handling skills are right there with some of the game’s all-time greats and who, as my colleague Nate Scott put it so eloquently, makes basketball beautiful.

So even if Jackson meant to say that what Curry does looks like some of what Abdul-Rauf did on occasion, maybe we should just stop trying to make comparisons or claim some teams could beat the 2015-16 Warriors and just enjoy watching something we’ve never seen before.

bob
MY NOTE:  There is a difference between Zen and being in a coma.  Phil Jackson has lost sight of that line.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 pm

According to Stephen Asshole Smith, Irving NOT happy in Cleveland.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14869185

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:28 am

bobheckler wrote:According to Stephen Asshole Smith, Irving NOT happy in Cleveland.

Normally, that would make me guess that there's no problem with Irving, but Brian Windhorst said the same thing, so there's probably something to it.

Cleveland is seeming more and more like a dysfunctional team. Not that they can't pull it together and be a force in the playoffs, but there are a lot of issues there.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 am

Odds and Ends - Page 7 Xxx_7670_52669991-e1422474042622

porn star mustache Phil!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content