Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft.

3 posters

Go down

Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft. Empty Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft.

Post by swish Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:56 pm

If the Lakers do not finish in the bottom 3 this year the Lakers will lose their # 1 pick to the 76ers. As general manager of the Lakers would you make moves that would help to insure that they had one of the three worst records in the league ? I WOULD. Right now they are 4th.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft. Empty Re: Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft.

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Setting aside the fact that I am anti-tanking:

If I was Mitch Kupchak, I'd do my best to win.  Why?  

1.  Because the natives are already getting restless out in LA.  The reaction by the fans to seeing the Lakers deliberately trying to lose would be comparable to the general reaction of Celtic fans if we saw Danny and Wyc doing a Hinkie imitation.

2.  What could he do?  Who does he have that he could unload?  Kobe's done and has zero trade value, even if he was on the block (which I don't see happening anyway).  Randle is on his way up, would you trade him and what kind of veteran player could you get for a player with a rookie contract?  D'Angelo Russell is still in serious growth mode.  Hibbert?  In a league that's moving towards mobile big men who can spread the floor, he's a dinosaur.  What's more, he's a dinosaur that Larry Bird unloaded for a song just a few months ago.  If he's on the trade block again that would not say good things and would undercut his trade value.  Maybe closer to the trading deadline his bloated contract (in its final year) might have trade value but by then it might be too late for the epic tank you are suggesting. Other than those players what are Kupchak's chips?

3.  Kobe's head would explode and every Laker fan would agree with him. Throw in the hotter Clippers being in the same town...

4.  Tanking would require Kupchak's boss, Jim Buss, to admit he has failed and, effectively force him to resign.  Buss has recently claimed that he thinks the Lakers rebuild is "on track".  Deliberately tanking would make him out to be a liar, or incompetent. While I might argue he really is the latter he certainly doesn't believe he is either and would resist any actions that would make him look like he is wrong. He is now vocally and aggressively defending his tenure as GM (or whatever his actual title is), I don't see him rolling over and playing dead just for the chance of getting the Lakers their 3rd draft pick #7 or better in the past 3 years (Randle, #7 2014; Russell, #2 2015; and now this one). 

Besides, just because you have the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the league doesn't mean you cannot drop to 4th or 5th when they take out the pingpong balls. That's why it's called a lottery. That would mean, in this case, they gutted their team and tanked for nothing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft. Empty Re: Kupchak and the Lakers # 1 pick in 2016 draft.

Post by wide clyde Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 pm

The Celtics are certainly not yet ready to be NBA championships at least they did not go about rebuilding by way of the TANK.

There is just something wrong with the idea of trying to lose game after game after game. I live down near the Philly area and I know that the 6ers fans are pretty much gone after their tanking path that has now gone on for about 4 seasons. They have had plenty of high level draft picks but are still not gaining any ground. There are always free 6ers tickets floating around down here in our town that go unused time after time.

Glad the the Cs have not gone the 'tank' route

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down