bigpygme
bobheckler
beat
jeb
Sam
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior Empty Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior

Post by Sam Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 am

It appears that it’s regrettably time to clarify the forum policy on one form of unacceptable posting behavior.

This board was established for Celtics fans, and friends of Celtics fans who may not be Celtics supporters, to post ideas, information and
opinions in a convivial manner. It is expected that users will post both positive and negative viewpoints as they are deemed appropriate and realistic.

However, logic dictates that a team with a winning record of .656 will be worthy of at least some reasonable balance of positives
over time...to go along with the negatives. When a given poster's negative viewpoints concerning the Celtics comprise an overwhelming
preponderance of his/her posting activity, they take on an aura of Celtics bashing. When the Celtics bashing appears gratuitous
to the point of representing a self-serving agenda, it constitutes unacceptable posting behavior. If the cumulative nature of the bashing is sufficiently repetitive to assume a taunting tone, it is another indication of “over-the-top” posting behavior.

When such unacceptable behavior by a given poster is noted by a moderator, the offending post and/or ensuing and/or
previous messages by that poster reflecting gratuitous Celtics bashing may be summarily deleted by the moderator without notice. Retaliatory name-calling or inappropriate language may also be deleted.

Naturally, the interpretation of any message as "gratuitous Celtics bashing" will be a judgment call. And, on this forum, Sam (as moderator) will be the judge. Unless the poster’s inappropriate behavior escalates, he/she will not be immediately banned; but his/her future posts will be carefully screened for possible gratuitous Celtics bashing tendencies, with further action
taken as required. In Sam's absence, he will designate one or more of the other five administrators to carry out this policy.

The vast majority of activity on the board is refreshingly civil, and it is unfortunate that this policy must be reinforced at this time. Posters may be certain that Sam will be broadminded in his interpretations, with the previous history of the poster in question being taken into account.

And, for those who may be tempted to respond that this policy is an attempt to limit freedom of speech, that is not at all the case. It is intended to contain abuse of freedom of speech under the conditions of this board and to maintain freedom of enjoyment of the board for all. The policy applies to everyone equally.

As always, comments on this policy or any other matters may be directed to Sam via private message or email (SlipSamCelt@aolcom).

Best regards to all, and Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior Empty Re: Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior

Post by jeb Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:56 am

Copy that
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior Empty Re: Title of thread: Important Clarification of Board Policy on Posting Behavior

Post by beat Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:06 pm

All

just got done reading the game on thread.

really don't know what to say and prhaps should leave it at that BUT that would be a cop out.

many times the C's have stunk up the place. And virtually all of us have been critical of those times but have done so in a way that is still hopefull of the rest ot that game, or the next, or the remainder of the season.

When I see LOOSER and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in bold i began to wonder. Then reading the various exchanges drove it home.

No there is no delete here nor should there have to be but I have a personal delete and I will not respond to a particular poster from here on out.

What the rest of you do is entirely up to you.

I don't get on the game on threads much recently as the computer is in another room from the TV I "have " to use. I'd ratehr focus on the game than worry about where my fingers ar on a keyboard. (actually only use about 6 of them)

We won, we won playing poorly, but it went on the left side of the ledger.

Washington has some quality players that have nothing to lose in a game like that. And we almost found out to late to remind them whom we are.

Anyway those are my thoughts.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:12 pm

I am growing a little weary of the geritol and age comments. We all get old.

Beat

It is very hard to ignore a person that is posting 3 to 1 in sheer volume to EVERYONE ELSE on the game on thread. Including a lot of distracting pictures.

Anyway I think Sam is on this in the right manner.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Jeb

In re-reading my post I think I must have used more than six fingers and the extra ones didn't look where they were going. And a couple of the regular ones (fingers that is) took some time off.

Keyboarding was never offered in my day. Took personal ityping in HS on the old manual monsters, and my errors and words were a lot like a bad PG's assisst to turnover ratio.

Yeah I think Sam's on top of this one.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:56 pm

If I may offer a shade of gray here:

Negatives and pejoratives (within reasonable bounds. There are some statements that are NEVER acceptable under any circumstances) on the "Game On" threads should not be viewed in the same light as those on "Post-Game" threads or on any other threads.

"Game On" threads are, by their very nature, interactive with an event we all have a vested interest in going on real-time. Not surprisingly, emotions will run high and sometimes a little out of control. We say/type things we probably shouldn't, jump to conclusions we probably could have held back on and pontificate (like I'm doing now) when we should probably listen to others.

Posting on threads in the "Hot Celtics and Basketball Topics" section don't have to be done ASAP, regardless of your state of mind, to retain relevancy. The poster can step away, get some fresh air and take a few deep breaths and take their time expressing themselves with at least a modicum of decorum. They can even edit their posts if they fail to fully get a grip on themselves on the first pass. Legitimate excuses for bad behavior, therefore, are scarcer there.

I would hope (and have full confidence) that Sam will take more of a birds-eye view of what's going on.

bob
P.S. On a personal note, I have consciously tried to throttle my fingers' efforts to only refer to certain Lakers as KoME and Sasha Eurobitch out of respect for our resident Laker fans, MustangGator and Babyskyhook. I confess to being mortal and not being perfect and have occasionally done so, hopefully, in proper context and offering some substance to back up myself. In the posts where I fail and I insult someone's sensibilities, I would appreciate a reminder from either them or Sam that I'm being rude. Being rude to a ballhogging ME-baller and a useless, one-dimensional sack of shit who isn't even effective one-dimensionally anymore and who are neither present nor members of this board is not the same as being rude to a poster, but I would appreciate a warning shot across my bow before getting chopped nevertheless. Thanks.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

bob

I think Sasha would agree...............sort of.

What kind of name is Sasha anyway?

I think in Latin it means "eater of towels".

beat

just googled it for the heck of it . this is what I found.

ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Sasha derives as a Russian endearment of the Greek names “Alexander” and “Alexandra” meaning “defender or helper of mankind.”

personally I like "eater of towels" better.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

beat wrote:bob

I think Sasha would agree...............sort of.

What kind of name is Sasha anyway?

I think in Latin it means "eater of towels".

beat

just googled it for the heck of it . this is what I found.

ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Sasha derives as a Russian endearment of the Greek names “Alexander” and “Alexandra” meaning “defender or helper of mankind.”

personally I like "eater of towels" better.

beat,

Sasha is the russian version nickname for "Al" or "Alex". Yeah, I know, it don't make sense but they're russians. What do you expect from people who sell vodka in bottles with poptops.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm

glad to have the clarification. it should help - should, and i hope it does.

one poster (yes, our favorite) said and even re-upped with it last night that he was posting to "STIR THE POT", and avowed that he was not primarily sharing to watch or understand the game or share insights on the team or the game. it's all in the thread. so, what's he DOING here?

i hope last night's Game On thread will be reviewed by Sam and members of the moderator group. this would be useful in helping "management" better understand the frustration, annoyance, irritation and ire i felt that i know was shared by most others.

with all due respect (and i do respect him plenty), gyso's point about the "heat of the moment", uh, "exception" doesn't bear up to scrutiny very well in terms of last night's exchanges, with one member virtually chortling over the discomfiture he was causing most other posters.

i AM smiling about beat's "eater of towels" line, just not smiling about much else at the moment.
Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Michael,

There's no need for further review of last night's game-on thread. I got home about midnight (EST) and stayed up until roughly 4:30 a.m. minutely reviewing the thread because I was so vibrantly livid and felt so betrayed and rudely insulted.

Some of that time was spent in composing the post that you see on the "policy" thread I started. I waited until noon today before posting it because I wanted to pass it by the other administrators to make certain no one thought I was off-base. All were of an accord that the post was warranted.

And anyone has the most remote concern that I won't back up everything I say simply doesn't know me. I'm glad that I'll have another full day to simmer down a little before the next game. I'd prefer to greet that game-on thread with positive expectations.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey Mike

I'm glad you liked the line.
Took one year of Latin and that's all I remember.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:36 pm

bigpygme wrote:glad to have the clarification. it should help - should, and i hope it does.

one poster (yes, our favorite) said and even re-upped with it last night that he was posting to "STIR THE POT", and avowed that he was not primarily sharing to watch or understand the game or share insights on the team or the game. it's all in the thread. so, what's he DOING here?

i hope last night's Game On thread will be reviewed by Sam and members of the moderator group. this would be useful in helping "management" better understand the frustration, annoyance, irritation and ire i felt that i know was shared by most others.

with all due respect (and i do respect him plenty), gyso's point about the "heat of the moment", uh, "exception" doesn't bear up to scrutiny very well in terms of last night's exchanges, with one member virtually chortling over the discomfiture he was causing most other posters.

i AM smiling about beat's "eater of towels" line, just not smiling about much else at the moment.
Michael

BP,

Thanks for the respect, due or not. I think you are attributing the HOTM E to me by mistake. That was written by some other poster, not me. I personally don't cater to that view, not one bit.

I was the "substitute teacher" last night while the regular teacher was out. Your favorite poster took advantage of the situation with full knowledge that Sam would be out. No, I was not happy a bit about the goings-on last night. Character definition indeed.

I agree with Sam about feeling betrayed and insulted. I would add "used" to those feelings. I did a lot of counting to ten (and higher) last night. It took most of the enjoyment out of the game.

The ending did help a bit.

I didn't feel as helpless as when this same thing happened over and over again back at BDC, from this same guy, mind you. I knew that Sam would deal with it in the AM.

I hope we can put this behind us and it NEVER happens again.

On another subject, did you get my explanation on the Game On! thread about how your contest guess got screwed up last night?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12 pm

I think bobheck called it pretty good. The game on thread gets peoples blood up. We all bleed green and some of us get good and pissed when things aint goin right. But hell that's the thread for that stuff. Keeps it juicy and good to have your boys there to talk you down when your on the ledge.

Workin fellas. Real good job. Much needed.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

This same guy got attacked on the BDC when 15 loyal posters all went at him the same time,he was making it personal and everyone was hammering his lame points on the game,the guy apologized back then and hasn't changed at all,still an abrasive annoying pest.....gee does anyone know who I'm talking about?I wonder if there was a vote,how lopsided would it be to boot him?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I was too busy watching the game last night to follow the Game On thread so I really don't know what the kerfuffle was all about. The comments must have really been below the belt for Sam to get upset, knowing the sense of equanimity, civility, and fairness he brings to all occaisions.

This incident reminds me of another man of great dignity I once knew in my life, Phillips Stevens, the the Headmaster of my prep school. Many of the kids were snobs and would swear out the dorm windows at the working class groundskeepers below, and Phil, as we called him amongst ourselves, considered this to be abhorrent behaviour. At lunch he reprimanded the entire student body, declaring that "there shall be no more hurling of epithets and invectives at the grounds crew."

Thereafter students stopped swearing at the croundskeepers. Instead they would regularly yell out the window: "Epithet!" "Invective!"

I'm still not sure what those words mean.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

worcester wrote:I was too busy watching the game last night to follow the Game On thread so I really don't know what the kerfuffle was all about. The comments must have really been below the belt for Sam to get upset, knowing the sense of equanimity, civility, and fairness he brings to all occaisions.

This incident reminds me of another man of great dignity I once knew in my life, Phillips Stevens, the the Headmaster of my prep school. Many of the kids were snobs and would swear out the dorm windows at the working class groundskeepers below, and Phil, as we called him amongst ourselves, considered this to be abhorrent behaviour. At lunch he reprimanded the entire student body, declaring that "there shall be no more hurling of epithets and invectives at the grounds crew."

Thereafter students stopped swearing at the croundskeepers. Instead they would regularly yell out the window: "Epithet!" "Invective!"

I'm still not sure what those words mean.

Worcester,

I wish you had more time to post here.

Only you could have come up with that story!

I hope you are doing well.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 pm

NY Celt, I just got through a really busy time teaching and practicing and now have a break for a while to write after watching the games, my most cherished diversion from the workaday world. It's always a pleasure reading your posts. What a great group on Sam's site. W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 am

worcester great to see you,hope your here more often and your work goes well and is fullfilling.Have you seen or heard from Mike fromNP at all?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:10 am

Cowens,

There was a vote. It's being addressed. And cooperation from everyone in displaying forbearance and not fanning flames will make that process much easier for the "voter."

Much appreciated, everyone,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:06 am

Sam sorry didn't know that

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

jeb65 wrote:I think bobheck called it pretty good. The game on thread gets peoples blood up. We all bleed green and some of us get good and pissed when things aint goin right. But hell that's the thread for that stuff. Keeps it juicy and good to have your boys there to talk you down when your on the ledge.

Workin fellas. Real good job. Much needed.

jeb,

I think the gist of this thread is that there were boys that wanted to push some people off the ledge, not talk them off it.

I was watching the game in a bar, so I wasn't on the thread that night. To be honest, I should have done that first before posting, instead of just speaking in general hypothetical terms. I have since gone there and read it. Pretty hot talk and some blood flowed, all green.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Bob -

yes, you really would need to see what the give and take was on the thread to appreciate what people were worked up about.

certainly in general, your comments of civility and open-mindedness make sense, but the bile and baiting that was being spouted was totally out of line and unacceptable, at least to my old eyes ...

appreciate what you bring to the table.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Looking forward to tonight's game-on thread. For whatever reason,
we've been experiencing record numbers of posts. That's great, and
it's much appreciated.

Go Celtics! Don't get Bucked!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

jeb65 wrote:I am growing a little weary of the geritol and age comments. We all get old.

Beat

It is very hard to ignore a person that is posting 3 to 1 in sheer volume to EVERYONE ELSE on the game on thread. Including a lot of distracting pictures.

Anyway I think Sam is on this in the right manner.

I'm on board Sam. Jeb I haven't been able to watch as closely as I'd like....for several reasons I won't bore you with but I can't shake the feeling that this geritol thing just doesn't add up. I don't know what the problems are but things don't seem to add up in my mind (course maybe my mind is too twisted) but it seems to me that if nobody really understands the funk, then no one can say they won't come out of it with purpose. I know that Sam would admonish me for this, with good reason, but when I play the line up in my head...I still think, "Damn! this team is loaded with talent, really loaded. When they get in a groove, Watch Out!"... I dunno.....
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Why would I admonish you? I think the Geritol thing is bunk. Whether it applies to the Three Amigos or to me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next