Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’ Empty Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:24 pm

http://redsarmy.com/2015/12/03/grousbeck-id-like-to-trade-the-nets-pick/

Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’ Wyc-grousbeck1

Wyc Grousbeck appeared on Felger and Mazz early in the evening to talk shop about the Celtics, take listener calls and give away tickets.
The big item was Wyc saying that he’d be willing to trade the Nets’ unprotected first rounder ‘to speed up the rebuild.’ He also offered to support moving the Milwaukee Bucks to Mexico City. He may not have been serious about that one.

Grousbeck took on a number of other subjects, including Jerry West, Greg Oden, tanking vs. rebuilding and how the Celtics mentor new players.

On rotations:
If it takes until February, so be it. We are building this team.

On Stevens:
Are we ready now to attract a marquee free agent? We want to be that destination. Brad’s the big part of that puzzle. Guys need to respect him around the league. Players need to want to come and play for him. I would love to give Brad Stevens the chance to coach an all-time great player. [a free agent] is choosing us for how we play and who is coaching us and their a chance to win a ring. They’re  not choosing us for the weather or the taxes.

On Jerry West:
Jerry West is a guy who doesn’t even have green in his wardrobe. He despises the Celtics. He was in the league awhile with the Grizzlies,and  he let me know exactly how he felt. ‘generally dislike the everybody on the Lakers’

On improving the team vs. tanking:
The way to get better is to grow your own guys up. We’re growing guys with the team, and then we see what happens. We’ve got room for free agents. We’ve got room for trades. It’s not just the one guy, you’ve got to have a team.

On what the team does for young players:
Jim Cash from the ownership group flies with the team and talks to the young guys. We want these kids to become men, to become community members, to become Celtics and to be successful in every possible way.”

On basketball in general:
We’ve got to liven up our game. I want a four point line. I’m going to bring it up at our next meeting.

On Greg Oden:
[Brian McKeon] came back from the combine and said, “You can’t draft Oden”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’ Empty Re: Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 pm

It will take a lot more than the Nets # 1 pick to make a deal for a top end player.

I really do not see what the big rush is for. The Celts have re-established respect around the league and are measurably better. We need to draft a young stud perhaps more than just making a trade for a marquee player particularly if that player can only be counted on for 5 years. Sustainability is what this franchise needs.

The Nets are going to end up with a terrible record. Lopez is one wrong move away from another foot injury. Joe Johnson is just playing out the string.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’ Empty Re: Grousbeck: ‘I’d like to trade the Nets pick’

Post by Outside Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Just a general notice to other teams that the trading hotline is open for business. They're not going to give the pick away for a second-tier player, but it can be a tantalizing sweetener in a trade for a top talent.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 pm

dboss wrote:It will take a lot more than the Nets # 1 pick to make a deal for a top end player.

I really do not see what the big rush is for.  The Celts have re-established respect around the league and are measurably better.  We need to draft a young stud perhaps more than just making a trade for a marquee player particularly if that player can only be counted on for 5 years.  Sustainability is what this franchise needs.

The Nets are going to end up with a terrible record.  Lopez is one wrong move away from another foot injury.  Joe Johnson is just playing out the string.

dboss

+1

(I've been agreeing with dboss too much lately.  Got to find something he says I don't see the same way or this is going to get boring)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm

ha!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Not sure if any other team is looking to call this season a waste yet, but there are some teams with some terrible records already who have to be thinking about it. And, I do not know all of the rosters of these teams to determine if they have even one player that would interest the Cs, but time is on Ainge's side.

But, the Nets pick is still a crap shoot in many ways. Waiting for this pick to pay off could easily take at least three years. First, it is not even guaranteed to be the first pick in the draft next year as all teams with the worst record do not always get the first pick and there is no guarantee that the Nets even end up with the worst record. Second,
even if the pick falls into the top 5 this guy making a major contribution could take up to 3 or 4 years. Neither scenario speeds up the re-build much more than what it is heading toward right now.

I certainly agree that this draft pick should not go for any second tier type of guy, but do agree with Wyc in possibly using it to speed up the process of the rebuild. He may or may not have mentioned it, but certainly getting even one really good player now for the Nets pick (plus?) would make the team better this year, make doing well in the playoffs better this year which would both make a future free agent want to make Boston his new home sooner rather than later.

I see a some good free agent perhaps being hesitant to sign on with Boston with only their current roster because he may feel that if he comes to Boston he may have to be the "man" all by himself. Not all top guys are ready to step into the "top guy" situation no matter how much they get paid. This could easily scare off some guys who could make a major contribution because they may need to think that they have some help already "aboard".

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43 pm

I think once we get a better feel for where the pick may land we will have a chance to speculate on it's value. We know that some picks must be moved. The question is which ones?

Would a top 5 pick be worth keeping in the upcoming draft?

At some point the Celts must draft a young stud.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:23 am

for Anthony Davis?
sure thing!

of course it would probably take ALL the draft picks Danny has in the next three years along with Smart, Bradley and Thomas to even get NO to look his way.

Like others here, I am not sure a 3-5th pick in any draft alone will net you a YOUNG NBA star player in a trade.

it may or may NOT get you a future star player in the draft either.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down