tjmakz
Matty
beat
21 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Trade Rumor Thread

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:42 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--four-serious-candidates-emerge-for-nets--gm-job-074420156.html

Sources: Four serious candidates emerge for Nets' GM job
Adrian Wojnarowski By Adrian Wojnarowski
9 hours ago
Yahoo Sports


Two Western Conference executives have moved into prominent consideration with Bryan Colangelo and Danny Ferry for the Brooklyn Nets' general manager job, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Denver Nuggets assistant GM Arturas Karnisovas and Houston Rockets executive VP of basketball operations Gersson Rosas have emerged as serious candidates in the process, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Nets have expressed a desire to have a GM in place prior to the Feb. 18 trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Formal interviews are expected to begin in early February.

So far, ownership has balked at the idea of paying Kentucky coach John Calipari the $120 million package he's seeking for a return to the NBA, league sources said.

As the Nets' hierarchy canvasses for background and insight, multiple league executives have spoken at length with team officials about Karnisovas and Rosas in recent days and weeks. While other candidates remain possibilities, these two have separated themselves in the process, league sources said.

Already identified as candidates for the job, Colangelo and Ferry have significant and well-known track records. Colangelo is a two-time NBA executive of the year, who had success running the Phoenix Suns and Toronto Raptors.

Ferry was GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Atlanta Hawks, where he helped build two Eastern Conference contenders. A year ago, Ferry was fired in a scandal surrounding a racially insensitive scouting report read on a management conference call with Hawks management.

Colangelo has strong backing at the highest reaches of the league office, and Ferry has support from outgoing Nets GM Billy King, who is still involved in the Nets' day-to-day operations until his successor is hired.

Karnisovas and Rosas fit the Nets' desire to have a more global scouting focus, something ownership believes was lacking under the previous regime. The Nets are severely limited in draft picks over the next several years, and will need to be creative in reshaping a floundering roster.

Karnisovas, a native of Lithuania, speaks several languages, including Russian, and has strong relationships with the members of owner Mikhail Prokhorov's extended sporting inner-circle. Karnisovas was a college star at Seton Hall University, and has polished a strong global basketball résumé that includes jobs in the NBA's league office, director of scouting with the Rockets' front office, and currently as assistant GM with the Nuggets. Karnisovas spent two years as USA Basketball's global basketball scout.

Working with Denver GM Tim Connelly, Karnisovas has had success with player personnel decisions involving overseas players, including the drafting of Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, and Joffrey Lauvergne. Karnisovas played a part with selecting Emmanuel Mudiay and Gary Harris, too.

After Seton Hall, Karnisovas won two Olympic bronze medals (1992 and '96) for Lithuania and was chosen as FIBA's European Player of the Year in 1996. As a player, he reached the Euroleague Final Four three times.

In his 13th year with the Rockets, Rosas, a native of Bogota, Colombia, has been the franchise's Executive VP for five years and worked closely with GM Daryl Morey in remaking the roster and building a 2014-15 Western Conference finalist. Rosas played a prominent role in the Rockets' reshaping of the roster in the post-Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady era, when the franchise traded McGrady for multiple draft picks and built up the assets needed to acquire star James Harden via trade and lure Dwight Howard in free agency.

Rosas played a significant part in bringing Patrick Beverley from Europe as a free agent and drafting a future max-contract player, Chandler Parsons, with the 38th pick of the draft. During those years, Karnisovas was the Rockets' director of scouting.

Rosas has strong personal and working relationships with two potential coaching candidates, Jeff Van Gundy and Tom Thibodeau. Both coaches worked with Rosas in Houston.

Rosas replaced Karnisovas – a former colleague with the Rockets – as the International Player Personnel Scout for USA Basketball in 2015. He also had a brief stay as Dallas Mavericks general manager in the summer of 2013 before parting ways and returning to Houston.

bob
MY NOTE:  No trade with Brooklyn will happen until after they sign a GM and coach.  They might not trade with us (gun-shy of Danny?  LOL) but they might trade with someone else which creates roster imbalances on those teams, which begets more trades which Danny might be able to get in on.

$120M for Calipari to return to a league where he was in over his head the first time?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Bob,

I guess $120 mil is Calipari's price to do something he really doesn't want to do in the first place!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:03 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/1/26/10832860/article

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Chris Mannix ✔ @ChrisMannixYS
Hawks had been soliciting offers for Teague or Dennis Schroder, per rival execs. Though recently they have focused more on Teague.
6:43 AM - 27 Jan 2016
 104 104 Retweets   58 58 likes

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm good with Evan Turner for Dennis Schroder.  Bradley for Teague (they make about the same money)?  I say no. I like Teague a lot, and we need a point guard, but that will screw up IT's head and I like Bradley.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Bob why on earth would we need to add another PG.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 pm

dboss wrote:Bob  why on earth would we need to add another PG.

Dboss

dboss,

Because we only have one that's ready for prime time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/1/27/10843912/Adrian-Wojnarowski-atlanta-hawks-boston-celtics-al-horford-vertical-podcast-nba-rumor

Woj: Hawks could "push the reset button" - Should the Celtics pursue Horford?

By Kevin O'Connor  @KevinOConnorNBA

on Jan 27, 2016, 1:06p 59

Trade Rumor Thread - Page 2 GettyImages-163381102.0
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

Adrian Wojnarowski said on The Vertical Podcast that the Atlanta Hawks could "push the reset button" and All-Stars like Jeff Teague and Al Horford could be available closer to the trade deadline. With the Boston Celtics reportedly looking to make moves consolidating assets for an impact player, Horford seems like a player they could pursue.

"Danny Ainge is out on the hunt for a star, and trying to figure out what that means -- what a star is. One team that I think is really at a crossroads talking to teams is the Atlanta Hawks," Wojnarowski said, adding that the Hawks have tried to gauge the value of Teague. "Al Horford is a free agent this summer. They're not sure he's going to stay, whether they're going to keep him. There's a chance this Atlanta team pushes the reset button here at some point."

Horford will turn 30 this summer when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, so there is an element of risk for any team that has him on their roster after the deadline. But if the Hawks do ultimately decide to be sellers, the Celtics are in a position to react to the opportunity and pursue Horford, who would be a great fit because of his two-way ability.

Horford can hit threes at a competitive rate (career: 32.5%) and he's an excellent threat in the pick-and-roll. Playing Brad Stevens' pace-and-space brand of basketball would work well, since he's also a good ball handler and passer. Horford is a savvy defender that plays strong keep-in-front defense, and can block shots. The Celtics could also comfortably play small ball around Horford, much like they do with Amir Johnson.

Because of Horford's status as an upcoming free agent, it's possible the Hawks would demand less in a trade for him than the Cavaliers would for Kevin Love. Atlanta still might want too much, or decide to keep him, but it seems unreasonable for them to require the 2016 Brooklyn pick. They could instead replenish their own assets with one of Boston's young players and multiple future picks.

On the other hand, the Celtics could also hedge their bets and wait until the summer to make a play for Horford, if there's even any interest. However, considering the possibility of championship teams offering max contracts (like the Spurs with LaMarcus Aldridge), trying to acquire him now wouldn't be a bad idea.

Plus, adding Horford to an already strong Boston roster this season could put them in a position to make a strong push in the playoffs. That could set the Celtics up as a top destination for top players this summer who are available either in trades or free agency.

The Atlanta Hawks could obviously decide to keep their players and ride out this season to make a playoff run. But if there's even a remote possibility that Al Horford is available, the Boston Celtics should be on the prowl.

bob
MY NOTE:  I'd love Horford, if the price is right.  What's the right price?  Well, according to the NBA Trade Machine, Horford for Lee works.  OF COURSE there would have to be picks added to that.  As long as we're not talking Brooklyn picks, I'm ok with that.  My preference would be Boogie, but if Vlade Divac isn't even answering the phones...The nice thing about Horford is that he understands the Atlanta schemes which are based off of Pop's schemes and will therefore be similar to Brad's, since Brad is trying to go that way.  

The rumors are also out that Jeff Teague and Dennis Scroder are on the block too.  If they are moving an All-Star then why wouldn't Horford be on the block too?  The catch is Horford is in his last contract year.  Unless we're giving up a pick(s) that aren't going to be worth much (say, Dallas') then I'd want some assurances that Horford is open to re-signing here.

I'll say one more thing: We hear all kinds of rumors and they will be getting worse over the next 3 weeks, but Woj is in a class by himself. If he's saying the Hawks might blow it up then I'm inclined to think they might. I have no idea how Woj built up his sources around the league but they are pure gold. He was nailing who teams were going to pick in the draft before the Commish came out and announced them. Team after team after team, so it's not just a source in one or two.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Bob,

I would almost think that Thomas would not worry one bit if the Cs were to add another point guard. He has very much looked good off the ball for the last couple of weeks and seems to like being able to attack the hoop from the side of the court.

I would think that Bradley for another ball handling guard would not be a terrible idea at this point with the Cs seemingly using their "small ball" line ups more and more. I have enjoyed Bradley, but his ball handling is still not good for a point guard sized guy and his scoring (although better lately) has been very inconsistent for most of his career. He may also become a distraction if he starts to whine about his salary.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Bob,

I would almost think that Thomas would not worry one bit if the Cs were to add another point guard.  He has very much looked good off the ball for the last couple of weeks and seems to like being able to attack the hoop from the side of the court.

I would think that Bradley for another ball handling guard who can also score some would not be a terrible idea at this point with the Cs seemingly using their "small ball" line ups more and more.  I have enjoyed Bradley, but his ball handling is still not good for a point guard sized guy and his scoring (although better lately) has been very inconsistent for most of his career.  He may also become a distraction if he starts to whine about his salary.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Horford might take Lee and Brooklyn's pick to get him.
No way would they trade him for a non-lottery pick.
I don't know if Atlanta completely tears the team down for draft picks.

I think if we are discussing trades or proposing trades, we should ask would and why would the other team make that trade. Often trade proposals come off as pretty one-sided.

I'm looking forward to seeing what teams will be buyers, sellers, or tankers...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:40 pm

tjmakz wrote:Horford might take Lee and Brooklyn's pick to get him.

I think if we are discussing trades or proposing trades, we should ask would and why would the other team make that trade. Often trade proposals come off as pretty one-sided.

TJ,

If they think Horford is going to leave anyway, then they are in the same situation Danny was with Rondo. You get something but not as much as if they were under long term contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 pm

so is my David Lee and a second rounder (NOT Phillys) for Hibbert fair?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm

kdp59 wrote:

so is my David Lee and a second rounder (NOT Phillys) for Hibbert fair?

Yes, that is fair.
Boston should have (5) 2nd round picks in the draft.
If LA can't get Philly's 2nd rounder, Boston's 2nd or 3rd pick in the 2nd round is preferred.
To get a pick in the 50's, I wouldn't bother making the trade.
I would hold out to see if there are better offers.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

http://nypost.com/2016/01/27/knicks-try-their-luck-in-trade-talks-on-hawks-jeff-teague/

Knicks try their luck in trade talks on Hawks’ Jeff Teague
By Fred Kerber January 27, 2016 | 6:40pm

The Knicks and Hawks have conducted “very preliminary” trade talks concerning point guard Jeff Teague, league sources confirmed. However, a trade seems improbable.

The Knicks are one of several teams to contact Atlanta about the 27-year-old guard. Yahoo! Sports first reported the Hawks talking with multiple teams.

One source claimed there was “nothing to report at this stage” of the discussions between the Knicks and Hawks.

“It makes sense for the Knicks, but what do they have to offer?” one opposing executive said. “Teague is a good player under control for a low figure [$8 million] next year and then he’ll enter the richest free-agency period ever.”

One important question for the Hawks, who currently are seeded third in the East, is whether they are ready to hand over the team to 22-year-old, third-season guard Dennis Schroder, who recently sat two games as a DNP (did not play)- coach’s decision.

bob
MY NOTE: Keep in mind this is coming from the NY media circus, the same idiots who thought Danny would trade Rondo to the Knicks for a box of Krispy Kremes

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Bob,

I understand your point about the NY press, but at the end of Rondo's time in Boston I was so upset with him that I may have actually accepted the box of donuts that you mentioned.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:01 pm

When I consider team needs, PG is not a high priority.  Our all star PG IT along with Marcus Smart do not leave room on the roster for another PG to become part of the rotation.

As we contemplate who stays and who goes my top 6 keepers include AB, MS and JC because they are the best defensive threesome on any team in the NBA and if you break that up then the defense will not be as good.

IT provide pace to the offense and has that rare you can't stop me attitude that every so called good team needs.

Next I am not trading KO because he is a perfect fit for the offense and other players on the team more than makeup for whatever he is lacking on defense. Last but not least I am keeping AJ.

Sully is not on my list of keepers mainly because of my concerns about his long term ability to control his weight.  His knees and back are an ongoing concern.

Evan Turner is very much expendable because he is a very poor outside shooter and wings must be productive outside shooters.

Jonas, Lee, Zeller, Young and all 3 rookies are on the fringe.  Mickey has not had a chance to disappoint but the rest of them look to be Players that can be part of some trades.

The key for the Celtics is to not break up the solid core that has carried the team all year.  Sooner or later Boston will add 2 to 3 players to the mix that provide the skills to take us to the next level.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:14 am

well IF the Hawks are looking to shake things up on their roster , why not go for BOTH Teague and Horford?

Horford ($12m), Teague ( $8M) and Sefolosha ($4M)

for
Amir ($12M), Bradley ($7.7M) , Jerebko ( $5M) , Dallas first this year and that Timberwolves first (which is actually TWO seconds rounder's) .

The Hawks get the Off guard they've needed for a while now and Amir and Jerekbo under their control for this year and next.

Celtics get the players to make a push THIS year to be the second best team in the east.

Teague and Sefolosha are both under contract next year also.

Projected rotation:
C- Horford
PF- Sully
SF- Crowder
SG- Smart
PG- Thomas or Teague
6. Teague or Thomas
7. Kelly O.
8. Turner
9. Sefolosha
10. Zeller

How is that not  a team that could be playing the Cav's in the East finals this year?

Danny of course may have to sweeten the pot with an additional draft pick in the future.

in the offseason, we'd have :

Horford as an UFA and due a max salary
Turner as an UFA
Sully as a RFA
Zeller as a RFA

Lee gone for sure from the roster

Still TWO first round picks and Philly's pick at the top of the second round  (unless it goes to the Hawks).

a total salary on the books of only about $38M after renouncing Lee. Horford wil be due $25M more as a Max player. leaving us $26M UNDER the cap not counting the holds for FA's and the Rookies (about $4-5M depending on the Nets pick). More than enough money to resign any of Turner, Sully and Zeller if they want OR to go after an even bigger fish.

IF somehow Danny could pull something like this off, it would go down as his second BIG trade/deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:45 am

kdp,

OK, you're hired.

We'll have Danny clear his things out of the office this afternoon.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:43 am

DBoss, you can be my GM when I buy the Celts. Great analysis of when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:16 am

I am MORE than happy to have Danny get all the credit and praise, when he pulls it off.

Cool

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:22 am

kdp59 wrote:well IF the Hawks are looking to shake things up on their roster , why not go for BOTH Teague and Horford?

for
Amir ($12M), Bradley ($7.7M) , Jerebko ( $5M) , Dallas first this year and that Timberwolves first (which is actually TWO seconds rounder's) .

The Hawks get the Off guard they've needed for a while now and Amir and Jerekbo under their control for this year and next.

Celtics get the players to make a push THIS year to be the second best team in the east.

Projected rotation:
C- Horford
PF- Sully
SF- Crowder
SG- Smart
PG- Thomas or Teague
6. Teague or Thomas
7. Kelly O.
8. Turner
9. Sefolosha
10. Zeller

How is that not  a team that could be playing the Cav's in the East finals this year?

Danny of course may have to sweeten the pot with an additional draft pick in the future.

Turner as an UFA
Sully as a RFA
Zeller as a RFA

Still TWO first round picks and Philly's pick at the top of the second round  (unless it goes to the Hawks).

a total salary on the books of only about $38M after renouncing Lee. Horford wil be due $25M more as a Max player. leaving us $26M UNDER the cap not counting the holds for FA's and the Rookies (about $4-5M depending on the Nets pick). More than enough money to resign any of Turner, Sully and Zeller if they want OR to go after an even bigger fish.

IF somehow Danny could pull something like this off, it would go down as his second BIG trade/deal.

kdp,

Do you think Atlanta would make a trade like this?

I think Gallinari is the shooter Boston needs to go all in for.
It will take Brooklyn's 1st round pick plus other assets, but he's a legit scorer and shooter if he's healthy.
Since he's 6'10", he can play SF or PF.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:24 pm

tjmakz wrote:
kdp59 wrote:well IF the Hawks are looking to shake things up on their roster , why not go for BOTH Teague and Horford?

for

Projected rotation:
C- Horford
PF- Sully
SF- Crowder
SG- Smart
PG- Thomas or Teague
6. Teague or Thomas
7. Kelly O.
8. Turner
9. Sefolosha
10. Zeller

Turner as an UFA
Sully as a RFA
Zeller as a RFA

kdp,

Do you think Atlanta would make a trade like this?

I think Gallinari is the shooter Boston needs to go all in for.
It will take Brooklyn's 1st round pick plus other assets, but he's a legit scorer and shooter if he's healthy.
Since he's 6'10", he can play SF or PF.

kdp and TJ,

The general rule of thumb when it comes to NBA trades is "whomever got the best player in the trade, won".  It's not always true and sometimes players are better/worse in different systems (e.g.  Jae Crowder has turned into a helluva player, which he wasn't in Dallas, while Rondo practically got run out of Big D on a rail) but it's a working theory.  So, who got the best end of this deal?

Horford + Sefelosha (who has not been mentioned in trade rumors) + Jeff Teague for Amir + Bradley + Jerebko + a mid-first round pick (Dallas') and two second round picks.

Horford is a legit NBA center, Amir isn't.  Furthermore, trading Horford leaves them with Splitter as their starting center.  Jeff Teague is an all-star, Bradley isn't.  Sefelosha is a starter, Jerebko isn't.  So, it looks lop-sided in favor of Boston.  Having said that, the reason why Horford is being talked about being moved is because he is in his contract year and hasn't committed to staying in Atlanta.  Atlanta might move him rather than lose him for nothing as the salary cap explodes and teams can sign him without needing a sign-and-trade.  The rumors are that Dennis Scroder is on the block too.  Why the Hawks would dangle Teague AND Scroder is not something I understand.  Maybe they're just doing a heat check and will pull the trigger on whichever offer is better, but not both.

I'm not thrilled with the prospect of trading Bradley but I'd do it for this trade.  If it happens it will come closer to the deadline as Atlanta management and ownership continue to pester Horford's agent on his intentions and expectations.

I'm ok if Sefelosha isn't included as well.  Good defender but, at almost 32 years old, not what we want for this team.

Contract-wise Horford is an UFA after this year and Teague and Sefelosha have 1 more year on both of their contracts.

Gallinari is a shooter. Gallinari isn't a defender. Gallinari is in the last year of his contract too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Maybe TJ's onto something...

Orazio Cauchi: With the trade deadline incoming, one of the targets for the Boston Celtics is Danilo Gallinari, per source. Ainge is high on him. 5 hours ago – via Twitter paxer89

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 pm

I think it might be a fair deal for them for two reasons.

1) they feel there is a good chance that Hordfor will NOT resign with them.

2) they feel they have peaked with the current roster.

since it has been rumoured they are already taking calls for Teague, I think both of the above may very weell be true.

look at it this way

Teague for Bradley is a pretty fair trade for the hawks. they get an off guard who is an all -defensive type player and who is on a market friendly deal for an additional year over teague. ( of course this assumes they feel Schroeder(sp) is ready for the PG roll).

Horford for Amir and Dallas first rounder this year( and one of the Timberwolves seconds). Again only IF they think they will lose Hordford as an UFA this off-season. he will be 30YO and may also feel the team has peaked and may want to sign elsewhere. Lots of Ifs no doubt.

Sefolosha for Jerebko and the other T-wpvles second rounder. sounds about right for them.

The hawks get the option to keep Amir and/or Jerebko next year or move on with thier non-guaranteed deals.

Hawks would have about $55M in salary next year if they release both players or around $72M if they keep them. Allowing them to still be a player for a mid-level FA

IF they keep Horford and give gim the max next year, they will be at about $83M in salary not counting any draft picks. wiuth as little as $6M under the cap, they would be stuck with the current roster pretty much.

We take the risk that Horford sings elsewhere, in this trade and Danny gives up some of his draft pick stockpile for that risk.

but liek I said it MIGHT take an additioanl first round kicker ( maybe our own pick in 2018 I would suggest) to move the needle.

So I guess a lot depends on where the Hawks see their team right now.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Bob,

Very good points.
Atlanta wouldn't make that trade with Boston.

Gallinari has two years left after this season.
The 2017-18 season is a player option.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next