A RITUAL OF AUTUMN

+2
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

A RITUAL OF AUTUMN Empty A RITUAL OF AUTUMN

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 pm

A RITUAL OF AUTUMN

New England in fall repose, with its countryside abound in the brilliant color of autumn splendor, as greens turn into pumpkin orange and fiery red maples, slightly hidden by touches of cannery yellows still clinging to those river white birches.

But as the color of green begins to leave its rightful thrown atop those majestic trees, it begins to reappear almost serendipity like upon other majestic objects that too tower above this good ground. Worn like battle armor from the knights of old, in the form of a sweater with a shamrock attached and a blessing from St Patrick too.

From '46 they have always reappeared, each autumn in a place they call Boston, in the Garden of Eve. But oh our color Green, was it not for a tinge of "Red" that produced our Mighty Pride, would we have disappeared right before our eyes?

So hear ye hear ye let it be known from this day forth………from Bunker Hill to Springfield and Down East Maine as well, and to all of those who call it their nation .....Celtic Nation is again on the rise!

Last edited by 112288 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

A RITUAL OF AUTUMN Empty Re: A RITUAL OF AUTUMN

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I knew you were a talented guy but I was unaware of your talent for poetic prose. Good job!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 pm

NYCelt

I think he copied it from some guy with the same name over at BDC.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Even with the big 3 and the 17th banner. Even with Sheed and Daniels, with Rondo growing into a superstar, and Paul Pierce living that rare story of sticking to your guns and standing by your team and having it actually pay off – the Celtics are not big time like they used to be in Boston.

Maybe it is because the Red Sox and the Patriots became relevant during that 22 year drought. Maybe it is because the team is primarily black and we don’t have white hero this time around (hope not) Maybe it is that people are just too busy to follow every sport and let the Celtics fall to a distant 3rd or 4th (running neck and neck with the Bruins). But overall, I don’t see the same kind of Celtic Pride that we saw in the 80s around here.

I mean, sure they will sell 18,000 seats a game and if they are still playing in June, all the green will come out of the woodworks – and they will fill up every drinking hole and pretend they have been big fans all along. But the average person that I know doesn’t REALLY follow the Celtics anymore.

Me and my Dad are the exception (more on that in another post soon) and now that I have met you guys out here….I feel I have found a true Celtics home. Where I can talk about the team and the game with people that don’t just love the team on nights in May when the playoffs are in town, or afternoons in June when the duck boats are heading down Boylston St. But love them EVERYDAY like I do.

Thanks again Sam.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

My pleasure, Mrkleen, but guys like NYCelt, gyso, Pete and Beat deserve more credit for making this board an actuality. It does seem as though the Celtics have attracted and lost more "fair weather" fans than the more consistent followings of other major sports teams in Boston. I've been living with tha since 1950.

But I've also learned to be more concerned with why my immediate circle thinks, and that definitely includes this board. What we have here are what I call the "real fans"—knowledgeable, steadfast, loyal, energetic, and able (regardless of age) to appreciate the Celtics tradition. It's a phenomenon that lightweight trolls can and will never comprehend. Too bad for them, and hooray for us and the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 pm

MrKleen,

I've spoken of this before and I wish I had photos of it, but my college dorm room was called the Garden 1975. I had Celtic photos plastered all over my half of the room. I even made the 12 (at that time) Mini 8x11 inch Banners that I hung from the ceiling and of course the banner of numbers too, in the proper order. My roomie was a Knick fan so one evening I made him his 2 banners and hung them over on his side. Room was a tad lopsided but hey whose was counting?

When they won in 1976, as I was graduating, I colored my blinds so when they were opened they had the championship banner facing out onto the quad. As my room was third floor (top) right over the entrance it attracted some attention ........and a bill in the mail a couple of weeks later for new blinds as I had "damaged" the old ones.

I loved the 70's C's.

I just want this year to be special and get another banner. At the very leat to have a legit chance which we do.

Yeah perhaps there are more distractions but like NYCelts little guy last night wanting to watch the game at least some of it with his dad is really what matters. There are lots of little NYCelts all over and although they can never witness first hand the great teams of the past they will be informed properly of the place those teams have in the history of the NBA, Fore when we are gone, they will carry the torch. At least my son will...... when baseball season is over (or if the Yanks lose early) We both hate the Yanks.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by spikeD Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:33 pm

That was beautiful. Thanks.

The prose poem is a wonderful art form and a particularly neglected one. I wrote one many years ago and I really liked the format and the way the story panned out. I don't know why I haven't done it since.

Some of the best songs and poems use images of the changing colors of autumn . Thinking of it as a ritual of nature and relating it to the Celtics was mighty fine. I just put Tom Rush's Urge for Going on the CD player and opened a bottle of wine. Thanks again.

spikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:40 pm

BEAT

If you check Boston.Com you will see that it was me. Check it out!

Last edited by 112288 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 pm

spikeD wrote:112288

That was beautiful. Thanks.

The prose poem is a wonderful art form and a particularly neglected one. I wrote one many years ago and I really liked the format and the way the story panned out. I don't know why I haven't done it since.

Some of the best songs and poems use images of the changing colors of autumn . Thinking of it as a ritual of nature and relating it to the Celtics was mighty fine. I just put Tom Rush's Urge for Going on the CD player and opened a bottle of wine. Thanks again.

Thanks Spike, hope all is well. i was near your town Saturday but I did not have your phone number on me. Hope to see you soon. My wife say's hello. 112288

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 pm

NYCelt wrote:112288,

I knew you were a talented guy but I was unaware of your talent for poetic prose. Good job!

Regards

Thank's so much. Hope you and the family are doing well. Must be getting real cold up there. Hope to see you soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm delighted that you saw fit to repost this here. It is definitely appreciated.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Sam wrote:112288,

I'm delighted that you saw fit to repost this here. It is definitely appreciated.

Sam

Thanks Sam, I wanted to honor your new site, I am just sad that I did not wait to give you an exclusive. But consider it
part of the beginning history and property of "SAM'S CELTIC FORUM"!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down