cowens/oldschool
kdp59
Shamrock1000
steve3344
NYCelt
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick Empty Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm

BOSTON.COM

By Brian Robb @CelticsHub

Last season, Danny Ainge said that you could never have too many draft picks. The Celtics organization is about to find out this summer whether that statement holds true.

Over the past few years, Boston’s front office has amassed eight picks for the 2016 NBA Draft, enough selections to fill up more than half of an NBA roster. With 11 players already under contract for the 2016-17 season, it’s fair to assume that Ainge won’t be keeping all of those selections in 2016.

The team will likely draft some international players to let them develop overseas for the time being, but odds are a healthy number of the picks will be packaged together in some kind of trade.

When trading draft selections in the NBA, the number of picks doesn’t matter as much as where the picks are located in the draft order. The Celtics dealt with that issue firsthand in 2015 when the Charlotte Hornets reportedly rejected a package of six draft picks for the No. 10 overall selection.

Boston’s ability to target a prized prospect or a star upgrade will depend mainly on where their current collection of draft picks falls. While Celtics fans will be keeping a close eye on Boston’s prospect in the playoff race, they should also be monitoring the progress of the teams listed below since their finishes will directly impact Boston’s future. With that in mind, let’s check in on the statuses of the relevant teams and examine where the Celtics will be picking from (or trading to) this June.

THE CROWN JEWEL

2016 Brooklyn first-round pick (unprotected)

Current record: 17-43

Games remaining: 22 (Home: 8 Away: 14)

Games vs. teams “fighting” for playoff spots or positioning: 14

Acquired via Garnett/Pierce trade in July 2013

Projected pick range: 3-5

Overview: With the Nets improving to 2-0 in the post-Joe Johnson era, any dreams Boston had of landing top-two odds for the May lottery are out the window. As it stands now, it appears to be a three-horse race between the Nets, Suns and Timberwolves for the 3-5 slots in the draft lottery.

3. Suns 15-44

4. Nets 17-42

5. Wolves 19-41

Phoenix has dropped 12 of its last 13 games overall and currently holds a two-game edge over the Nets for the third-best odds. The good news for Celtics fans is that the Nets have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league, playing 15 of their final 23 games away from the Barclays Center. The team is still playing hard and has no reason to “tank,” unlike Minnesota and Phoenix, but there should be sufficient challenging games remaining for the Celtics to gain enough ping pong balls for the fourth-best odds during May’s lottery.

MORE FIRST-ROUND AMMO

2016 Dallas first-round pick (Top-7 protected)

Current record: 32-28

Games remaining: 22 (Home: 11 Away: 11)

Games vs. teams “fighting” for playoff spots or positioning: 18

Acquired via Rajon Rondo trade in December 2015

Projected pick range: 12-24

2016 Boston first-round pick

Current record: 35-25

Games remaining: 22 (Home: 12 Away: 10)

Games vs. teams “fighting” for playoff spots or positioning: 16

Projected pick range: 12-24

Overview: There is a lot of parity in the NBA right now below the championship contenders, and that’s reflected in the range for Boston’s next two first-round picks. The Celtics’ own selection will likely land in the early twenties based on their recent play, but with just four games separating them from a trip to the lottery, they can’t feel secure about their position for another couple weeks.

The Mavericks face a stiff challenge of their own to hold onto a playoff spot down the stretch. They currently possess a three-game lead over the ninth-seeded Utah Jazz from the No. 6 spot in the West, but with 75 percent of their remaining games coming against teams with something to play for, they still have plenty of work to do. That tough slate should make the Celtics’ brass feel confident about this pick ending up somewhere in the teens, but another late-lottery pick can’t be ruled out either.

SECOND-ROUND FODDER

2016 Philadelphia second-round pick (unprotected)

Current record: 8-51

Acquired via Joel Anthony trade in January 2014

Pick range: 31-32

2016 Minnesota second-round pick (unprotected)

Current record: 19-41

Acquired via Brandan Wright trade (from Phoenix) in January 2015

Pick range: 33-35

2016 Dallas/Memphis second-round pick (Celtics get more favorable of picks)

Current record: 32-28

Acquired via Rajon Rondo trade in December 2014 Pick range: 42-54 2016 Miami second round pick (unprotected) Current record: 33-26 Acquired via Joel Anthony three-team trade in January 2014

Pick range: 42-54 2016

Cleveland second-round pick (unprotected)

Current record: 41-17

Acquired via Keith Bogans trade in September 2014

Pick range: 55-58

Overview: The first two of these five selections from Philadelphia and Minnesota stand to be useful trade assets for Boston this draft, given their location in the draft and the flexibility teams have in structuring contracts for second-round picks. Hidden gems (ex: Jordan Mickey) can be found in these spots, and Boston has used second-round picks in the past to move up a couple slots in the draft (ex: Kelly Olynyk in 2014).

Back to top Go down

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick Empty Re: Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 am

11 players under contract now with 2 more Restricted Free agents we control ( Sully and Zeller) and 1 more an UFA we might want back ( Turner).

that's as many as 14 players under contract with those 8 draft picks.

so how much room will this team have for Rookies next year in reality?

I say when all the wheeling and dealing is done we will end up with two rookies on next years roster. and maybe two more who were in camp as late second round picks

if nothing else Danny should "play it forward" with some of the picks, trading them for future draft picks.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick Empty Re: Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:42 am

My thoughts exactly.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 am

kdp59 wrote:11 players under contract now with 2 more Restricted Free agents we control ( Sully and Zeller) and 1 more an UFA we might want back ( Turner).

that's as many as 14 players under contract with those 8 draft picks.

so how much room will this team have for Rookies next year in reality?

I say when all the wheeling and dealing is done we will end up with two rookies on next years roster. and maybe two more who were in camp as late second round picks

if nothing else Danny should "play it forward" with  some of the picks, trading them for future draft picks.

kdp,

That's a possible approach, especially given that there could be a good 4 or 5 players on the current roster we may want to consider part of an emerging core.

I would say if we could pull two rookies from this draft that not only stick, but get some playing time, we will have done more than a little OK. Given the expected makeup of this year's draft, I would be very happy if that top pick turns into a potential scoring threat for us. Beyond that, if it isn't going to get us a player who sticks, I go with your thoughts.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 pm

My ideal off-season at this point and assuming we play like we belong come playoff time this year , with this group of guys:

draft:

Nets top 5 pick: Jaylen Brown SF- California

Dallas 16-20 pick: Jonathan Jeanne- 7-2 from France. Stash him in eurpoe for two years so his body can develop.

our pick at 20-24 (move up using second rounders if needed): Damian Jones - 6-11, Vanderbilt

second round picks on Euro draft and stash types and trades.

Re-sign Sully, Zeller and Turner (again assuming a good playoff showing) for a total of around $24M in next season salarys or less.

leaving us around $9M BELOW the cap next year.

release Amir johnson and his $12M in non guaranteed salary.

sign Al Horford to a deal that pays $20M next season.

16 players under contract, which will require Young or another player bineg cut or moved by seasons start.

roster at 16 players:

Horford
Zeller
D. Jones- Rookie
Sully
Kelly
Mickey
Jerebko- could be a cut also to save $5M
Crowder
J. Brown- Rookie
Turner
Young
Bradley
Smart
Thomas
Hunter
Rozier

I think thats a team to contend with now and we still ahve all the futrue picks , as well as a possible Gobert type in the future.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:02 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/11/11184456/nba-mock-draft-brandon-ingram-over-ben-simmons

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:50 pm

steve3344 wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/11/11184456/nba-mock-draft-brandon-ingram-over-ben-simmons

Ughhh.... the thought of the Lakers getting a once-in-a-generation talent like Simmons just made me throw up in my mouth

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:57 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:
steve3344 wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/11/11184456/nba-mock-draft-brandon-ingram-over-ben-simmons

Ughhh.... the thought of the Lakers getting a once-in-a-generation talent like Simmons just made me throw up in my mouth

well, better keep the bucket handy on draft day. the Lakers should get a high quality player this year.

the trouble with that mock, is that teams at the TOP of drafts almost always draft for talent over need.

that mock assumes Philly will take the lesser player (Ingram) due to need/better fit. I doubt it.

and I doubt that whoever ends up with the top pick will pass on Simmons.

I would take J. Brown, then/or Jamal Murray with the nets pick myself.

I have seen Bender compared to Pau Gasol as his ceiling, if so he'd be a great pick. But I fear some of his rise in the draft is due to Porzingis play this year, yet most say Bender is NOT the player Porzingus is. Kinda leaves me wanting to pass on him myself as a possible over hyped player.

Valentine reminds me of Evan Turner and will probably be a good pick in the 10-16 range for a team. Think how everyone would think Turner was a nice player IF he would have been drafted in that range?

I do like the Prince pick for us later, though I am hoping that he is there with our later pick.

Damian Jones is a guy I still like with one of our later picks.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:

Simmons' team delivers a stinker in 71-38 loss. No chance for NCAA tourney now:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/lsu-s-dismal-season-ends-in-fittingly-disgraceful-fashion-202207867.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you Indiana for beating Dallas today in Dallas, coupled with Houston beating us last night that drops the Mavs to eighth in the West (for much of the season they were fifth or sixth). Now we just need Utah to win a bunch of games and pass Dallas so that pick is a lottery pick for us.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Worth noting…

Denzel Valentine of Michigan State University, a dboss favorite who I would completely support our drafting, is the first player in NCAA history to average at least 19 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists per game.

As an aside; I'm taking MSU to win it on at least one of my NCAA brackets.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Very good day for us. Nets lost at home to Milwaukee dropping them three full games behind Minnesota for the fifth spot and only one game better than Phoenix for number three. And Utah beat Sacramento on the road despite losing the center battle of Cousins vs Gobert 31-0. Utah climbs to within two games of Dallas for the last playoff spot out West and keeps our hope alive that that Mavs pick will be another lottery pick for us.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:36 am

NYCelt wrote:Worth noting…

Denzel Valentine of Michigan State University, a dboss favorite who I would completely support our drafting, is the first player in NCAA history to average at least 19 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists per game.

As an aside; I'm taking MSU to win it on at least one of my NCAA brackets.

saw the game too, the day before AJ Hammonds was a monster, had a 27-11 game, I'm hoping we get him, maybe we'll get both? anyway Izzo totally outcoached his counterpart, they were poised and executed down the stretch while Purdue had too many dumb plays.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am

At the beginning of the year I was very high on Jalen Brown the SF who played high school ball here in GA.  As you know he is playing for Cal.

After watching him play I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole.  The kid is really athletics but he can not hit the broad side of a barn.  Horrible college 3 point shooter at .300%  Think Jeff Green and that is all you need to now.

As I reviewed the draft there may not be a great center out there but there are some really impressive shooters.  If we do not get a top 2 pick I would suggest that Boston trades down in the draft.  And also trade the lesser two first round picks to move up.

Valentine would be my target if the Celtics decide to let Turner walk.  Turner is our de facto back up PG so if he goes we will need another play maker.  Because Valentine has a strong handle and is also a great passer, I could invision him stepping into Turner's role.  Plus since he can make the 3 ball he would be a good fit for the Celtics offense.

If the Celtics keep Turner than Valentine may be redundant and I would go in another direction maybe but he has some rare quaities as did Green who also played for Mich St.

I also like AJ Hammonds and he should be available in the lower part of the draft.

My # 1 concern is that the Celtics must add more shooters.  Buddy Heild is another guy that must be in the conversation as is Jamal Murray.

I do not see the Celtics keeping more than 2 draft picks out of the first round but do not be surprised if Danny uses a bundle of picks to get the guy he wants most (Ingram)

Overall I think we all agree that this should be a very exciting off season.

A big time free agency signing coupled with a stromg draft should push this team into Elite status.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:51 am

I don't watch much college basketball until the tournament. I'll have to make a point to watch Valentine, though I have some vague impressions about him from last year. Will his athleticism translate to the NBA? I don't remember him being super-athletic, and the danger with some guys is that they've topped out athletically against college competition but will struggle in the NBA where everyone is athletic.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Outside wrote:I don't watch much college basketball until the tournament. I'll have to make a point to watch Valentine, though I have some vague impressions about him from last year. Will his athleticism translate to the NBA? I don't remember him being super-athletic, and the danger with some guys is that they've topped out athletically against college competition but will struggle in the NBA where everyone is athletic.

I agree with you 100% on Valentine, while a heady multi skilled player, hes no where near as strong or athletic as Turner, we've seen Turner blow by Dwayne Wade with the game on the line, I don't know if Valentine can do it at the next level.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Outside wrote:I don't watch much college basketball until the tournament. I'll have to make a point to watch Valentine, though I have some vague impressions about him from last year. Will his athleticism translate to the NBA? I don't remember him being super-athletic, and the danger with some guys is that they've topped out athletically against college competition but will struggle in the NBA where everyone is athletic.

I agree with you 100% on Valentine, while a heady multi skilled player, hes no where near as strong or athletic as Turner, we've seen Turner blow by Dwayne Wade with the game on the line, I don't know if Valentine can do it at the next level.

Valentine is below average athletically. If I had to think of a player that played for us he actually reminds me of a shorter version of Paul Pierce. What he seems to lack in athletic ability appears to be more than made up for with his overall basketball IQ.He has that it factor.

Physically he is a 4 year player and is NBA ready now. He is not slated to go high in the draft probbaly becasue of the aforementioned average athletic ability and that hhe spend 4 years in school. There is a mindsent that discounts the players that stay in school. But if you think about it most of the one and done crowd are developmental players or prospects. he may be available at the back end of the lottery.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:06 pm

steve3344 wrote:Thank you Indiana for beating Dallas today in Dallas, coupled with Houston beating us last night that drops the Mavs to eighth in the West (for much of the season they were fifth or sixth).  Now we just need Utah to win a bunch of games and pass Dallas so that pick is a lottery pick for us.

This could be a potentially costly injury to Utah's best player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25516838/jazz-playoff-hopes-in-danger-as-gordon-hayward-to-miss-time-with-plantar-fasciitis
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 pm

"a draft many consider to have a significant drop-off after the No. 2 pick"

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-mock-draft-174919054.html

so let's hope the ping pong balls are good to us for once and get us a top 2 pick this year. Everyone knows how many times they've gone against us.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:38 am

Phoenix just beat Minnesota to tie the Nets with their 18th win.  Wins have been hard to come by for the Suns lately.  Nice to see them win this one tonight to catch the Nets in the win column.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:08 am

tjmakz wrote:
steve3344 wrote:Thank you Indiana for beating Dallas today in Dallas, coupled with Houston beating us last night that drops the Mavs to eighth in the West (for much of the season they were fifth or sixth).  Now we just need Utah to win a bunch of games and pass Dallas so that pick is a lottery pick for us.

This could be a potentially costly injury to Utah's best player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25516838/jazz-playoff-hopes-in-danger-as-gordon-hayward-to-miss-time-with-plantar-fasciitis

The Gordon Hayward-less Jazz amazingly beat Cleveland 94-85 tonight in Utah behind stud SF Rodney Hood's 28 points.  I seem to recall we could've drafted Rodney but picked the immortal James Young instead.  Think Danny would like a do-over on that one?  Anyway, great win for Utah and another inexplicable, lousy loss for Cleveland against an undermanned opponent.  A day after shooting 18 for 37 on threes in routing the Clippers, the Cavs brick 32 out of 42 threes tonight with Kyrie and J.R. Smith shooting a combined 2 for 17 tonight from long range.  Live by the three, die by the three.  Keeps Utah in striking distance of Dallas for the last playoff spot.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:19 pm

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/sixers-fans-mock-nets-fans/

Sixers Fans Roast Nets Fans In Brooklyn With A ‘We’ve Got Draft Picks’ Chant

BY: DAVE LOZO 03.16.16

The Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers are the two worst teams in the Eastern Conference, and because the schedule dictated it, they played at the Barclays Center on Tuesday night. The Nets got up big early and rolled to a 131-114 victory, but it was the Sixers fans in attendance who had the most fun.

Tom Moore ‎@tmoore76ers
#Sixers fans chanting at #Nets: 'We've got draft picks.'
5:01 PM - 15 Mar 2016
 466 466 Retweets   393 393 likes

Amin Elhassan ✔ ‎@AminESPN
Group of Sixer fans in upper deck got off work early, purchased game tickets, train tickets & came to THIS game to chant "Trust the Process"
5:40 PM - 15 Mar 2016
 37 37 Retweets   76 76 likes

You see, the Nets are one of the worst teams in the NBA, but they lack a first-round pick in the upcoming draft because of the trades for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. Over the next three years, the Nets have one first-round pick, which seems like poor asset management in a sport where one high draft pick can turn around your franchise. (And the Nets could really afford to turn their franchise around.)

Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be video of this “We’ve Got Draft Picks” chant, but there were plenty of tweets. Looks like we’ll have to take everyone’s word about those chants and … trust the process. That’s a callback to Sixers GM Sam Hinkie’s mantra, although the team has been terrible for three-straight years, so I don’t know how that’s supposed to hurt the Nets.

Celtics draft pick watch: Checking in on that Nets pick Cdou2kUW4AAkPjV

Philadelphia 76ers ✔ ‎@Sixers
Coach Brown out to see Sixers fans that bused up to Brooklyn for the game tonight.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:39 pm

Basketball-Reference.com posts this ever changing site for projected draft order. Here it is based on their 7,500 simulations today:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/proj_draft.cgi

By the way, other than our game we had a very good night last night with the expected beating of Dallas by GS, Portland beating NO (to stay ahead of Dallas), Houston beating Minnesota (also to stay ahead of Dallas), and Phoenix beating the Lakers in L.A. to tie the Nets with their 19th win. Utah is now only a half-game behind Dallas for the last playoff spot in the West and if the Jazz pass the Mavs that obviously gets us another lottery pick. Let's hope Hayward can come back soon for Utah. Portland has a big home and home with Dallas soon and we need the Blazers to take both of those.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:38 pm

As of the end of games, 3/21/16:

Suns win.  They are now 1/2 game behind Brooklyn for the #3 pick.  They have one more loss than Brooklyn.  Brooklyn plays Charlotte @ home next, 3/22.  Go Hornets!!  Phoenix plays the Lakers @ home next, 3/23.  Go Suns!! 13 games left for Brooklyn, 12 left for Phoenix.

Dallas won, Utah won.  They are still 1 game ahead of Utah, who can't seem to pull their heads out of their own asses.  The loss of Chandler Parsons for the year helps us.  Mavs @ Portland next, a home-away series, 3/23.  Utah @ Rockets, 3/23.  Good chance for a Dallas loss because they beat Portland in Dallas, so this would be payback for Rip City.  Go Utah!!! C'mon!!!  Houston is tied with Dallas, which means they are only 1 game ahead of you.  Beat Houston and it's a tie for 8th if Dallas loses.  BIG game here, BIG. 12 games left for all 3 teams.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:53 pm

bobheckler wrote:As of the end of games, 3/21/16:

Suns win.  They are now 1/2 game behind Brooklyn for the #3 pick.  They have one more loss than Brooklyn.  Brooklyn plays Charlotte @ home next, 3/22.  Go Hornets!!  Phoenix plays the Lakers @ home next, 3/23.  Go Suns!!  13 games left for Brooklyn, 12 left for Phoenix.

Dallas won, Utah won.  They are still 1 game ahead of Utah, who can't seem to pull their heads out of their own asses.  The loss of Chandler Parsons for the year helps us.  Mavs @ Portland next, a home-away series, 3/23.  Utah @ Rockets, 3/23.  Good chance for a Dallas loss because they beat Portland in Dallas, so this would be payback for Rip City.  Go Utah!!! C'mon!!!  Houston is tied with Dallas, which means they are only 1 game ahead of you.  Beat Houston and it's a tie for 8th if Dallas loses.  BIG game here, BIG.  12 games left for all 3 teams.

bob

The Suns lost last night to a depleted Grizzlies team.
Recently signed Jordan Farmar had a big part in the Grizzlies win.

Houston could be the team that misses the playoffs in the West.
Houston's upcoming schedule is: at OKC, Utah, Toronto, at Indiana, at Cleveland, Chicago, OKC, at Dallas.
They will probably lose the majority of those 8 games.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next