Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview

+2
NYCelt
gyso
6 posters

Go down

Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview Empty Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview

Post by gyso Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/5/16/11663472/jordan-mickey-the-great-shot-blocking-enigma

Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview Jordan10

The birth of a modern Celtics folk hero is an interesting thing. For Luigi Datome, it was tied to his love of coffee and his effectiveness as a long-range marksman. For Brian Scalabrine, it was an indefatigable dedication to being a team player and for making as much of a difference as he could every second of the game, whether it was on the court or on the bench.

Jordan Mickey is well on his way to becoming a Boston folk hero, despite the fact that he has played a total of 57 minutes of NBA basketball.

The shot-blocking power forward out of Louisiana State University has developed a cult following, as the #FreeMickey movement grew consistently throughout the regular season. His recipe for capturing the imaginations of armchair GMs is rather well-grounded. Start with a solid pre-draft scouting report and a first-round-caliber contract, despite being a second round pick. Mix in a clearly recognizable talent (blocking shots) that is sorely needed on the team. Finish with a D-League All-Star selection. Bake in the oven for one regular season.

It's true--Jordan Mickey has shown, whenever given the opportunity, that he could be a difference-maker in an area that has plagued this team since the departure of Kevin Garnett. He is locked up next year at $1.2 million, and for the next two years at the same price with a team option. Additionally, he has improved during his time in the Developmental League, as outlined in this great piece from Kevin O'Connor.

However, it's also true that he plays a position that was intensely over-crowded all season. It's true that he hasn't proven that he can have the same level of effectiveness in the big leagues that he has had in the minors. It's true that we still haven't seen him on the court for a cumulative hour of playing time, or even for truly meaningful minutes.

As a result, we don't really know what we have in Jordan Mickey. Without a consolidation of talent in the front court, he may not overcome the glut of bigs that have blocked his path to playing time. If he does get meaningful minutes, he may not be able to produce as well as we might hope.

However, I wouldn't bet on his inability to achieve lasting NBA success.

Unlike some of his young teammates, Jordan Mickey has demonstrated improvement throughout his rookie season. When he did receive minutes, he took full advantage of those opportunities. Per 36 minutes, Mickey is averaging 13.3 points, 8.2 rebounds, and a staggering 6.9 blocks. Clearly, those numbers are not sustainable in larger sample sizes, but they speak to the young man's willingness to follow one of Brad Stevens's core tenets: be ready.

This offseason promises to be transformative for the Boston Celtics, given their crowded roster and their embarrassingly plentiful selection of draft picks. However, put my money down on the young shot-blocking enigma building his cult following in a Celtics uniform for years to come.

Perhaps this year we'll see what we really have in Jordan Mickey.

Back to top Go down

Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview Empty Re: Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview

Post by NYCelt Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 am

Although we fans don't have any idea what Mickey can do, the team should have a handle on it by now. I liked the pick when and where we made it based on potential value. Absent any additional reliable information, however, his inability to earn minutes in a crowded but fairly weak front-court leads me to suspect he's not the bargain I thought. He's cheap enough to keep around one more year if there's a spot.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview Empty Re: Upside potential: Jordan Mickey Exit Interview

Post by wideclyde Mon May 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Mickey is still a very viable player in the NBA and playing mostly in the D league this year was not a hindrance to his NBA career.  I believe that if he is still on the roster in October he will get a much better chance to earn minutes next season.

He will always be an undersized player at his position, but with a better offensive game an inch of height will not keep him from playing.

Now, if he is still an up-and-down player in the D league for most of next year, I would not guarantee him much of a chance for minutes with the Cs in 2017-18.

Last edited by wideclyde on Mon May 16, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon May 16, 2016 5:15 pm

He made a million smackaroos to work 57 minutes.

I'm really starting to hate my parents for not letting me play ball in school for as stupid a reason as "you are already too busy" Basketball
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm

Just look at those per 36 minute numbers.

Yes it was coming in garbage time against other 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's say he could only produce at 50% of that effectiveness against starters and 75% against a 2nd unit. Well, if he made our rotation as say an 18 minute a game guy off the bench, most of his minutes would come against the bench.

So 75% of his per 36 numbers is 10 points, 6 rebounds and 5.2 blocks. In 18 minutes a game off our bench that is 5 points, 3 boards and 2.6 blocks. The block numbers may be a tad high, but I'd take that from our 4th big in a heartbeat if it meant some legit rim-protection.

This team can roll with Olynyk and Amir as their #2 and #3 bigs. Give them 22-26 minutes a game. Just need a 4th big who is that 32-34 min a game all-star this team has liked since like 2012 KG.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon May 16, 2016 7:26 pm

They still need a two-way big who can play either position PF/C, has all-star talent, will fit seemlessly into Brad's system in 32-34 minutes a game and (along with IT) can be one of their two elite sidekick type players to recruit the actual superstar. Al Horford fits this bill despite his overall disappointing playoffs.

Durant is then the pipe dream to be the superstar. Paul George would be perfect as well, but it is unlikely Bird deals with Ainge even if pick 3 or 4 are on the table. Might take Simmons or Ingram for Bird to move PG13. Might still be worth it as George fits in with Horford and IT's prime age-wise. Might be waiting 2-3 seasons for one of those two to become a star.

Butler is definitely the one player I think could be had for pick 3-6 and a player like Bradley. I just don't think he is the #1 guy the way even George is. He would have to be the #2 and Ainge would probably have to scrap his Horford plan.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon May 16, 2016 7:27 pm

They still need a two-way big who can play either position PF/C, has all-star talent, will fit seemlessly into Brad's system in 32-34 minutes a game and (along with IT) can be one of their two elite sidekick type players to recruit the actual superstar. Al Horford fits this bill despite his overall disappointing playoffs.

Durant is then the pipe dream to be the superstar. Paul George would be perfect as well, but it is unlikely Bird deals with Ainge even if pick 3 or 4 are on the table. Might take Simmons or Ingram for Bird to move PG13. Might still be worth it as George fits in with Horford and IT's prime age-wise. Might be waiting 2-3 seasons for one of those two to become a star.

Butler is definitely the one player I think could be had for pick 3-6 and a player like Bradley. I just don't think he is the #1 guy the way even George is. He would have to be the #2 and Ainge would probably have to scrap his Horford plan.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 16, 2016 8:44 pm

No doubt Chicago would trade Butler for Bradley and a #3-6 pick, but why would we want to do that? Butler's D is not going to be better than Avery's. Compare the stats and the cost.

Jimmy Butler
Born: Sep 14, 1989 (age 26) · Houston, TX
Height: 6' 7" (2.01 m)
Team: Chicago Bulls · Guard-Forward · 21
Salary: $16.41 million USD (2015)

Player statistics
PPG APG RPG
Season 20.88 4.79 5.34
Career 13.60 2.59 4.49

Avery Bradley

Born: Nov 26, 1990 (age 25) · Tacoma, WA
Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
Team: Boston Celtics · Guard · 0
Salary: $7.73 million USD (2015)
Player statistics:
PPG APG RPG
Season 15.20 2.08 2.89
Post Season 18.00 1.00 3.00
Career 11.49 1.62 2.60

They are basically the same age. Butler gets paid almost $9M per year more, and he scores 5 more points per game. Avery's D, again, is nonpareil. Danny is not doing this trade. Nor is he ever going to get Durant. Next fantasy?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down