Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

+27
Berlin-T
mulcogiseng
swish
dboss
NYCelt
steve3344
MDCelticFan
NESportsfan12
worcester
bigpygme
Jerry Tarkanian
MDCelticsFan
KellyGreen17
spike
swedeinestonia
mrkleen09
bobheckler
jeb
beat
sinus007
dbrown4
bobc33
cowens/oldschool
gyso
Sam
Pumpsie Green
31 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) Empty Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 am

Seems that this thread is fine...sorry guys. Computer trouble
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) Empty Re: Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 am

I am not going to worry about it right now because......
Tomorrow is another day!

S. O'Hara.

Last edited by Pumpsie Green on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) Empty Re: Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by Sam Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 am

I'm seeing your posts. Let me know if you see this one. I'll also notify you by private mail. I'll post something in code so you'll know it was from me.

The coded post:

The Celtics are turning it around.

I'll know that, if you admit to receiving that message, you're either really receiving it or you're too tired to care any longer.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 am

Sam wrote:I'm seeing your posts. Let me know if you see this one. I'll also notify you by private mail. I'll post something in code so you'll know it was from me.

The coded post:

I'll know that, if you admit to receiving that message, you're either really receiving it or you're too tired to care any longer.

Sam

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) Icon_razz Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) Icon_razz

I'm besides myself I'm laughing so hard!!
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 am

LMAO!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 am

Cowens,

Do you want an avatar? I put some new ones in the gallery today. They are of Cowens.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 am

gyso wrote:Cowens,

Do you want an avatar? I put some new ones in the gallery today. They are of Cowens.

gyso

Can I add some to the gallery?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 am

bobc33 wrote:

gyso

Can I add some to the gallery?

Bob,

In order to add to the gallery, you have to go to the Admin Panel. I can go there, you can't.

However, I can save your avatar (you can load them from your hard drive) to my computer and put it in the gallery. I just did it now.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 am

gyso

got one of him boarding in traffic?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:23 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

gyso

got one of him boarding in traffic?

Cowens,

Most of them are with Cowens shooting, some hook shots. I have some cards, 72, 76-77 and one other one. I have a sports Illustrated cover with Cowens and Dr. J.

I can even try to load your avatar for you if you want.

How do you like this one?

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:26 am

let me go see whats there first thanks gyso

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

Well if his first few games are any indication, I have to say we won on the Eddie House trade. While Eddie could bring the same numbers, he just didn't do it consistently this season.

Once again, Quis +20 +/- speaks volumes. Clearly doing the unnoticed dirty work that is required to win.

Jekyll and Hyde comes to mind for the Celtics performance. I know this was the Bobcats, but this was the team last season that beat Boston in Charlotte where I took my two oldest sons for their first Celtic game. This is what this line-up and team is capable of once all the parts are in place. Media is just letting them ride, hoping another injury will come along so they can put the official stamp on the Kobe v. LeBron or 'Melo v. LeBron Final they so deparately want. They do need to re-establish the opponent's fear of playing in Boston. We're not too worried about winning on the road, which they are going to have to do since they probably won't be a top seed.

It does get back to what Sam has been saying about letting this line-up/team play at least 3 games in a row together w/o injury or sickness. Nothing about this team has changed since the team started the season 23-5. We've only replaced a great 3-point assassin that was having a very up and down season with a fire plug that can match his points on what appears to be a more consistent basis. And clearly, Paul is back and pissed!

I think the streak we need to watch now is how many games in a row the line-ups stay intact.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 am

gyso how can I check out different pics?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 am

Hi,
Thanks guys. I just got an avatar. Don't care much for it but why the heck not.
But back to the subject of the tread. Finally Celtics looked like they did at the beginning of the season. As Tommy H suggested: killer instinct - they showed it yesterday. Therefore all starters were under 28 min (RA = 27:42!). I hope they'll progress from now on.
I wonder why Doc changed his mind about SW? He plays second game and the results are not bad at all.
I think TA needs some kind of stabilizing thing/feature/device, you know like chita has a big tail Very Happy

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

Cowens/oldschool,
Go to your profile, select "Avatar" tab, click on "Show Gallery".

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:gyso how can I check out different pics?

cowens,

1. Go to the top of your screen and pick Profile.

2. Go to the top of the Profile page and pick Avatar.

3. In the Avatar Control Panel at the bottom you see:

Select your Avatar from our Gallery :

Pick Show gallery.

Find the avatar you want and pick the radial button (circle) above it.
Go to the bottom of the screen and pick Select avatar. (this saves it)

This leaves you at a screen where you can do a couple of things, but basically, you are done. If nothing trips your trigger there, pick on Lucky to go to the Home Page.

If you would like to use one of your own pictures for your avatar, then repeat steps one and two (above) and then:

4. In the Avatar Control Panel at the top you see:

Upload an Avatar from your computer:

Pick Browse...

Navigate to the file on your computer, pick it and press Open (or Save, or whatever)

Back at the Avatar Control Panel, pick Save.

There you go. If you have any more questions, or this doesn't work, let me know.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am

This game was like a miracle drug for what has been ailing the Celtics. A perfect example of what happens to the energy level when the execution picks up. I thought the entire squad had been together for two earlier games, but Gorman said this was the first time all
season. They weren’t playing the iron, but the Bobcats are a possible playoff opponent for the Celts, and they have some athleticism—a word that many feel should strike fear into the hearts of the guys in white and green.

Not last night!

Chandler, Diop and Mohammed were all out for the Bobcats, and old friend Theo Ratliff started at the center position. Doc said in advance that the Celts would be attacking the PFs who would be pressed into service as backup centers.

On the first Cats possession, KG offered up a preview of things to come, with an athletic block of a Gerald Wallace layup attempt. The teams were feeling one another out, with Charlotte focusing on posting up Stephen Jackson and the Celts (in the form of Rondo) pushing the ball at every opportunity. The Celts soon had their first run of the night (11-2), courtesy in large part to several Rondo penetration hoops. Their offense seemed more lively than in the recent past, and they clearly went to second and even third options more readily.

However, the Cats hung around, mainly on the mix of jumpers, penetration, offensive rebounds and freebies. The focus on Jackson resulted in two early fouls on Ray. (He was to play only 18 minutes and take but two shots all evening.) The game was tied with 4:15 to go in the first quarter, as the bench started to filter into the game.

A couple of minutes later, it was 22-21 Celts, and the bench proceeded to open up the arsenal. A Sheed freebie on a three-second tech was followed in rapid order by an opportunistic Sheed layup when he spotted an open path; a great defensive play by Tony, a Nate three (which really got the crowd into it) and another quick Nate three (which narrowly missed being a ground rule double off the rafters) at the quarter-ending buzzer created a nine-point run (love those runs) and a 31-21 lead. It was later reported that, the instant Nate hit that second trey, 32 older fans had to go out and change their underwear. (Writing these things can be such fun when the Celtics win.)

It took fewer than 20 seconds of the second quarter for Nate to take an outlet pass from Quis, race down the floor, and launch another homer (which was later changed from a three to a two). This time, I had to go out and change my underwear. It was exactly the kind of quick shot that many of us would have criticized as far too early in the shot clock. But one major difference was that Tony was down there ahead of Nate and poised to compete for the offensive rebound. A great example of the importance of filling a lane, even if you never receive the ball. Nate didn’t celebrate; he was back to get a defensive rebound that throw a long pass for a partial Tony breakaway. Tony was fouled and unfortunately missed the free throws (he was only 2-7 from the line during the game). But Davis hit a
cutting Tony for a nice layup, and the run was now 13-0 and the score 35-21 Celtics.

After a timeout, Sheed hit a three, and the run was 16-0 before the Bobcats finally scored. Charlotte had been forced to bring in most of their starters, and the bench was precisely following my blueprint for perfect bench play. Play strong defense; clear the defensive boards; outlet, run and score; elevate the pace so it becomes a game of debilitation; completely dominate the other team’s bench so their starters have to return early and face a little debilitation themselves. Perfect.

The Celtics starters started to return to the fray; and, at one point, the Celtics on the floor included Davis, Tony, Ray, Rondo and Perk. I’m not wild about that combination; it just doesn’t seem to have much synergy, especially when it comes to ballhandling and sharing the ball. In a short span of time, turnovers (Davis, Rondo). Even when the starters returned, they exhibited many of the same problems (very poor passing, not much offensive movement, and poor help rotation on defense), and the Cats went on a major run of their own, finally trailing by only 42-41 with 3:49 left in the second quarter.

Paul Pierce ignited a comeback with a three; KG hit a nice turnaround; a Pierce penetration; and Ray’s lone bueket of the night (a three)
combined with some disruptive defense, a couple of steals, and a great KG block (he would have four for the evening) to fuel a 7-0 run (love those runs). After a brief Bobcats retaliation, Pierce hit a turnaround in the paint, and the Celtics led 54-45 at
halftime.

The first four minutes of the third amounted to a defensive battle. By the 8:28 minute mark, the Celtics had scored only three points and the Bobcats only 2. The Cats were playing a trapping defense, while the Celts countered their opponents’ penetration with some stiff
interior defense, highlighted by a great Ray Allen stuff of a Jackson penetration (for a jump ball) and a point-blank block block by Perk.

The teams continued to trade points until a double technical on Pierce and Jackson (who was obviously getting frustrated by Ray’s fine
defensive job on him). And Paul evidently decided to take over. He missed a three, but then the Celts started isolating him. A Pierce three seemed to wake up the Celts, started pushing the ball. Another three for Paul; and here came the crowd again. Celts now up by 19. The Bobcats kept driving to the hoop, and the Celtics kept stuffing them. The Celts were now up by 22, and Sheed, Quis and Davis came in. One had the feeling that Perk, Ray and KG might possibly be done for the night, as one could hear the steady beep-beep of the garbage truck backing up to the door.

Pierce kept scoring despite some physical play by Gerald Wallace, and Charlotte demonstrated absolutely no outside game all night
long. (At the end of the game, 72 of their 80 points had been scored in the paint or from the free throw line.) At the 1:37 mark of the third, with the Celtics leading 80-59, Nate replaced Rondo. Pierce was now the only starter out there, as Doc seemed to relish giving him a little extra run. (He would finish with 27 points on 9-13 shooting, including 4-6 from the arc).

It was 82-61 after three…and essentially over. The bench played the entire fourth quarter. Nate hit his fourth three (in five attempts). Tony did his Citation imitation (my favorite all-time horse). Sherman Williams looked good in spurts. The lead did eventually peaked at 31.

On Comcast, the trivia question was which player holds the all-time record for minutes per game in the regular season. The answer: Wilt Chamberlain, with (amazing) 48.5. Half a minute more than the length of a game (because he played in 10 overtimes). And he got bounced from one game with two technical fouls, playing the full game in 81 or 82 contests. Heinsohn had an opportunity to expound
on how much faster the game was in those days. He called it “a series of wind sprints.” So then Gorman asked Heinsohn whether Wilt was the greatest athlete Tommy had ever seen. “No,” Tom snapped. “Russell was.” Case closed.

Gorman also asked who were the two Celtics players under 5’ 10.” Tyus Edney and Fat Freddie Scolari. Scolari had played for Auerbach with the old Washington Capitols, and he played for the Celtics around 1955. Heinsohn mentioned two facts I had not known. Cousy was so enamored with Scolari's outside shot off the wrong foot that The Cooz put the shot in his own arsenal—one of six outside shooting styles possessed by Cousy that I have on tape. Also, Scolari was the guy who recommended Russell to Auerbach. I love stuff elike that almost as much as runs.

The Celtics certainly did run away with this one—figuratively and literally. Only three players in double figures. Out-rebounded on the offensive boards 13-4 (but, of course, the Bobcats had the benefit of 15 more missed field goal attempts). They won the fast break battle, 22-11. Their defense held the Bobcats to 36% shooting.

The Celts played a mediocre team, which has proven all season long to be mismatched with the Boston; and three centers were out of
action for the Cats. So this was certainly not proof of any return to dominating form. But it was what I’d call a cleansing and centering
game. Cleansing in the same way an oil change can unclog those pistons in your automobile. Centering in the sense of regaining
some of the offensive and defensive rhythm that has been missing for so long. Paul Pierce looked pretty well untracked. Nate Robinson continued to be a sparkplug. No starter played more than Rondo's 27 minutes.

This game reinforced to me that good execution breeds energy more than energy breeds good execution. Poor execution is the cause, and lack of energy is the effect.

But the best thing about this game—the very best thing— was the sense of joy that was evident among the Celtics. As the game wore down, they were shooting threes on the fly, and no one really cared whether they made them or airballed them. At the other end, they were still clawing and skying for blocks and fouls and general mayhem. Scal took a Tyrus Thomas Express charge with 1:30 left in the game. The guys on the bench were loving it. Geno showed up with 2:23 left.

This one was simply a pleasure. Keep it going guys.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am

Sam

Seeing geno with a crooked number in the minute column is always a good sign!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am

sam

watched a Lakers game the other night and they(lakes announcers) were talking about bron's switch to number six and how absurd honoring Jordan by taking russ's number was...they expanded to speak of Russ as clearly the best player of all time.

This from Laker guys.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Our first game with a complete roster this year. Well the result certainly supports Sam's position about continuity, although one game does not a trend make. I'm not sure how one game with a full roster creates continuity any more than one game without a player should disrupt it (after all, it's just one game. Don't the returning players need to work back in?). Still, Sam, you're 1-0!! Let's stay healthy and prove you an Oracle.

Charlotte came in here just under .500. A dangerous, albeit not a good, team (caveat, they played without their starting center Tyson Chandler) and we whupped them oh-so good. Most things were working well. Offensively, in particular, we flowed.

1. I'd like to give the game ball to the whole team, for showing ganas, but that's a cop-out, so I'll give it to Tony Allen. Tony's free throws were not working last night. Every shot was different (what's Tony Allen without something screwing up his head?). Sometimes he'd use too much arm, other times he'd do this little mini-shotput where he almost couldn't get rid of it fast enough. In fact, Tony accounts for 1/2 our missed free throws. Other than free throws, though, this was vintage Tony Allen. He ran the open floor. He slashed. He hit open men. He defended. At one point in the game on thread I mused if we'd get to see a better-passer-than-Eddie Nate feed Tony slashing without the ball and, sure enough, a few series later they did that. Nate passed to Tony slashing who passed to Shelden, who was fouled and it didn't go in (A LOT of those last night, kept Rondo from getting double assists. Nice passes producing foul shots, but no bucket and assist) but the idea was there. Tony doing what Tony does best, slash, and use that to our advantage. I especially liked the fact that Tony was working hard on defense even when we were in extended garbage time with the Celts up by 25+. Made a great steal after very aggressive defense on a 'Cat and then went the length of the floor for the layup +1. Tony Allen gets the game ball for playing his game (and staying within it), NOT looking at the score, and especially for ganas. He was hungry, nonstop. When we play hungry, we play good. Just like missed free throws, hunger is contagious. Good game, Tony. Tienes ganas.

2. The captain finally had a good game. He's been struggling, as has been well chronicled. Nice to see him get it together. A little unfocused on defense, but a good game. Very efficient on offense.

3. Nate is showing he's got game. He's shooting. He's passing. He's playing sticky defense. I miss Eddie and the dream of what JR and Walker might/could/who knows become, but I'm liking the trade more and more and more. Coulda done without him holding out his arms for "LOVE ME PEOPLE!!" accolades when he hit the buzzer-beating 3, but I'll live wth it if he keeps performing like this. In today's Globe, KG is crediting Nate for their turnaround. “He’s the reason, really, why we turned the corner like we did,’’ Garnett said of Robinson’s performance. “I think he took the momentum himself and just ran with it. We were talking about the possibilities of what this could be with him, especially with he and [Rajon] Rondo on the court. Defensively, that’s going to be hell for opposing guards bringing the ball up. So, Nate’s a blessing in disguise for our team and we’re glad to have him.’’ The nice thing about having a player who can improvise, and is being given the green light to do so by the coaches, is that the other players have to be more alert because they don't know what's going to happen next. What you might lose in coherent, cohesive offense you gain in mental acuity and focus. I think we're seeing some of that now.

4. Shelden had 4 rebounds, 2 of them offensive, in 9 1/2 minutes. Where have you been all my life Shelden? In one series, Shelden got the offensive board, passed it to Nate who passed it back to Shelden who popped out for a 14' wing jumper. An offensive rebounder getting rewarded for his hard work. The world is once again spinning in nicely, greased grooves.

5. We beat them in the paint and we ran more than them. If that's not the recipe for a beatdown, I don't know what is.

6. No Celtic played more than Rondo's 27:36. On the second night of a back-to-back. Remember how much the triple OT in Chicago in the playoffs took out of us for the rest of that series and the Orlando series? Being able to almost take a back-to-backer off with only 23 games left in the regular season is Fantastic.

7. We gave up 30 fta last night. A HUGE improvement over the 40-41 we've been giving up. Wouldn't have mattered last night, the margin of victory was so big, but in most games 10 free throws will produce at least 7 points maybe more. That's usually enough to win-or-lose. We also earned 28 fta. That's about 6-8 more than the past couple of games. So, more fta for us and 25% less for them. MUCH better.

The Bobcats are upset because they felt we disrespected them with trash talk while we were clubbing them. Personally, I'd rather that we do less talking than more, but if that's how we express our mojo then I'm ok with it. Losers have excuses (like "they don't respect us"), winners have parades.

Now on to the City of Brotherly Love and trash-talk mojo them into a bunch of whiny little losers too.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm

4. shelden and rebounding. Rebounds mean points. Offensive rebounds break the opponents will and drain his ganas.

1. Hunger is contagious. Def just as bad habits ca be contagious so can good habits and hard work.

Let me say that with sam and boheck doing these one two post game threads I dont feel the need to seek any further info from any other source.

Just a tremendous job fellas together you are both really distinctive writers and you both see things the other does not.

Really great to read and i appreciate it.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

jeb65 wrote:4. shelden and rebounding. Rebounds mean points. Offensive rebounds break the opponents will and drain his ganas.

1. Hunger is contagious. Def just as bad habits ca be contagious so can good habits and hard work.

Let me say that with sam and boheck doing these one two post game threads I dont feel the need to seek any further info from any other source.

Just a tremendous job fellas together you are both really distinctive writers and you both see things the other does not.

Really great to read and i appreciate it.

jeb,

rebounding doesn't always lead to points, but it sure stops them from scoring and that's the next best thing. Can't score if you don't have the ball.

As far as my writings go, thanks a lot. I appreciate the support especially since I'm clearly not in Sam's class when it comes to prose. Fortunately this isn't a writers clinic, it's a halfway house for green-blooded "I don't want the cure" hoop junkies, and that gets me in as a first-ballot jihadist. Sam is just sooo easy to read. Of course knowing your material cold comes through in your readability, but if you read some of his other work as I have, you'd agree it's more than just that. He has a gift.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:26 pm

bobheck

If you HAVE the ball your more likely to score and o rebounds often lead to good shots.

I think your writing shows an extemely good level of hoop knowledge and I think that is what makes this forum so great the overall level of knowledge and there are times when I read some of these post and just cant think of anything else to add. It's been said perfectly. I usually in those cases just thank the poster.

Keep it up buddy. Your a jewel and one of the top guys to read around here.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Sam wrote:I'm seeing your posts. Let me know if you see this one. I'll also notify you by private mail. I'll post something in code so you'll know it was from me.

The coded post:

Sam

Your coded post was in some sort of foreign language, Navajo I think. I believe that the correct interpretation, according to my resident Windtalker, is "The Celtics have been consistently mediocre for 40 games"....but I could be a few words off.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:

The coded post:

Sam

Your coded post was in some sort of foreign language, Navajo I think. I believe that the correct interpretation, according to my resident Windtalker, is "The Celtics have been consistently mediocre for 40 games"....but I could be a few words off.

pumpsie,

Would those be the 40 games this season where their record was 27-13? Or are you referring to the games in which we've been significantly undermanned due to injuries?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next