kdp59
tjmakz
dboss
bobheckler
Ram
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'll predict it now, Celtics draft Jaylen Brown at 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: I'll predict it now, Celtics draft Jaylen Brown at 3

Post by arambone Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Steph Curry and Klay and other shooters are changing the game.

Steph isn't an elite athlete, nor does he have elite measurements.

Murray shot about the same as Buddy Hield after the first month or two of Murray's freshman season, when they moved him to shooting guard full time.

Murray has some really nice herky jerk moves, and he's still just a teenager.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray turned into a poor man's Steph Curry. He already is, as a teenager.

I can totally see Murray making 10 3s in a game, even in his first or second year in the NBA. Hield could probably do the same, but Murray's ball handling advantage means he'll probably be able to create more opportunities for himself.

I think transition pull up 3s are the future of the game, and Steph is leading the way. Murray has the talent to take over games doing the same thing, if his coach gives him the big green light to fire away without a single pass.

Honestly, Olynyk could really thrive and probably dominate games doing the same thing, pulling up from 3 in transition over and over and over.

Stevens doesn't let Olynyk bring the ball up the court, but he should, and Stevens should learn that an Olynyk pull up 3 pointer in transition is a better attempt than anything else Stevens and his offense can draw up.
Setting up the half court offense just means the defense is better set, and the shot ends up being lower % and gets taken by a vastly inferior shooter than Olynyk. Like Smart, or Crowder, or Turner, or Sully, or Amir, or even IT.

Olynyk might not be great at taking highly contested 3 pointers, but that goes for most anybody. But transition pull up 3s are much better shots for Olynyk, and for Murray, and even for Curry.

I think the pull up transition 3 point shot is the future of the game, THE single most valuable shot and THE go-to shot for any team with a great pull up 3 point shooter.

As such, I think the league is going to shift and become dominated by guys with an uncanny knack for pull up 3 pointers, and a lot of these guys will be mediocre athletes at best. Like Curry. Like Murray. Like Olynyk.

And Thon Maker is exceptional as a pull up 3 point shooter, but he's actually an elite athlete too, unlike most of these other guys.

arambone

Back to top Go down

I'll predict it now, Celtics draft Jaylen Brown at 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: I'll predict it now, Celtics draft Jaylen Brown at 3

Post by arambone Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:20 pm

And with the pull up 3, speedy bigs who can fly up and down the court to get in position to rebound become more important as well.

Maker is the ultimate fast break player, offensively and defensively, with the ball in his hands or on the boards.

Honestly if we ended up with Murray and Maker (HS teammates), we could end up as one of the elite (small ball) teams in the NBA as soon as next year.

IT and Murray firing away from 3 early in the shot clock, Maker and Olynyk and Jerebko flying up and down the court, and taking their share of 3s as well.

Get a guy like DHoward to fill a need on the roster, and suddenly we're probably looking like the Warriors of the East, as soon as next year.

IT in the Curry role
Murray in the Klay role
Crowder and Smart in the Iggy/Barnes role
Maker and Olynyk (and Jerebko) in the Draymond role
Howard/whichever big center in the Bogut role

Bombs away, with real shooters rather than eager below average shooters.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 am

arambone wrote:And with the pull up 3, speedy bigs who can fly up and down the court to get in position to rebound become more important as well.  

Maker is the ultimate fast break player, offensively and defensively, with the ball in his hands or on the boards.

Honestly if we ended up with Murray and Maker (HS teammates), we could end up as one of the elite (small ball) teams in the NBA as soon as next year.

IT and Murray firing away from 3 early in the shot clock, Maker and Olynyk and Jerebko flying up and down the court, and taking their share of 3s as well.

Get a guy like DHoward to fill a need on the roster, and suddenly we're probably looking like the Warriors of the East, as soon as next year.

IT in the Curry role
Murray in the Klay role

OK Rambone, I wanna know if YOU were drafting today for the Celtics what would you do and who would you pick ( or trade for).

don't worry we all know we are a couple weeks out of the draft and things can change.

Myself, I am leaning of trading the #3 pick along with other assets for a top NBA player ( Butler, Cousins, George, etc).

then drafting

#16- Sabonis
#23- Maker

#31- probably traded with #3
#35- LeVert
#45- Hammons
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:18 am

Eddie LeVert leading the Love Train to banner #18. Good pick at #35. He could do half time shows too.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:51 pm

kdp59 wrote:
arambone wrote:And with the pull up 3, speedy bigs who can fly up and down the court to get in position to rebound become more important as well.  

IT in the Curry role
Murray in the Klay role

OK Rambone, I wanna know if YOU were drafting today for the Celtics what would you do and who would you pick ( or trade for).

don't worry we all know we are a couple weeks out of the draft and things can change.

Myself, I am leaning of trading the #3 pick  along with other assets for a top NBA player ( Butler, Cousins, George, etc).

then drafting

#16- Sabonis
#23- Maker

#31- probably traded with #3
#35- LeVert
#45- Hammons

Ok. I agree with Caris LeVert btw, could be one of the better players in this draft. He was considered a better player than Hield last year.

3 Jamal Murray. Smart moves to backup SF most of the time. Murray might even be our best guard, and he can play next to IT, Bradley, Smart, or Rozier, in the starting lineup or off the bench.

I'd rather trade down to 7 with the Nuggets, but it's hard to propose trades in a mock draft.

Trade 16 + 23 to the Jazz for pick 12. Draft Thon Maker at 12. Like with Myles Turner last year, the Cs would regret not moving mountains to move up and draft him.

31 AJ Hammons - Our new Sully

35 Caris LeVert

45 Kay Felder

51 Joel Bolomboy

58 Dorian Finney-Smith

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:39 pm

thanks Rambone,

we'll re visit this again in about a week or so, and see if we change our ideas any.

IF I have to make the pick at #3 I am afraid I would go with J. Brown right now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:16 pm

kdp59 wrote:thanks Rambone,

we'll re visit this again in about a week  or so, and see if we change our ideas any.

IF I have to make the pick at #3 I am afraid I would go with J. Brown right now.

Nothing wrong with that, or 6 other guys.

I'd like to find a way to trade down to 7 with Denver. They have the 15th and 19th picks also.

At 7 we could snag Maker or Poeltl, and still have the 19th pick in addition to 16, or something like that.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 pm

OMG arambone, we have too many picks as it is already in the first round. #7,15,16,19, and 23 would blow fuses in the NBA front office and Danny's mind. I hope we can get rid of one of our first round picks.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 am

worcester wrote:OMG arambone, we have too many picks as it is already in the first round. #7,15,16,19, and 23 would blow fuses in the NBA front office and Danny's mind. I hope we can get rid of one of our first round picks.

#3 and 31 in the Butler deal helps..... Cool

#16 & 23 for #12 and Deyonta Davis does as well.

suddenly Danny has only 1 first and 4 seconds left....LOL.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:51 am

LOL. Deyonta Davis? Have to Google that one.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:41 am

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/deyonta-davis

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks kdp, but how does he go from 240 to 210 on the same page???
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:42 pm

worcester wrote:Thanks kdp, but how does he go from 240 to 210 on the same page???

worcester,

Maybe one measurement was using 20-pound 8x11 paper and the other was using 25-pound 8x11 paper.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:30 pm

you gotta watch the dates on some of the measurments.

lots of times at draft sites they are a year or more old.

Draft express does a better job of listing those, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:10 pm

240 I can live with. He shows lots of promise. Otherwise at 210, how many tall skinny guys do we already have playing 4/5?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm

here ya go:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deyonta-Davis-81960/

combine # there

6-10.25 in shoes
237#
7-2.5 wingspan

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:53 pm

That's more like it. My daughter knows Denzel Valentine. I'll ask her to ask him about Deyonta. Imagine them both being Celtics? But then where would ET wind up?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Keith Pompey
‏@PompeyOnSixers
Jaylen Brown draining threes. #Sixers predraft workout

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/742770832829784064

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:27 pm

This might sound crazy, especially to some people, but LA could end up drafting Jaylen Brown over Brandon Ingram.

If Brown is indeed shooting much better than anticipated in his workouts, LA is definitely going to take a very close look.

Lakers defense is atrocious, and Clarkson and Russell are right at the center of that bad defense. Brown is a better defender than Ingram, and he can also play SG more easily than the 6'10 Ingram.

Lakers probably realize that a defensive stud is needed at SF, and they would also be attracted to having a stud defender at SG. Brown brings both of those things, as well as a whole lot of offensive talent.

Brown was ranked ahead of Ingram up until this past season, so it wouldn't be a shocking a development as it might seem to some.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Chad Ford wrote:Chad Ford
ESPN Senior Writer

Spoke to several teams that had Cal forward Jaylen Brown in for draft workouts. All 3 said his performance was stellar. Shot the ball really well. Was in great shape. After a shaky freshman season, he may be rising in the draft. He has elite physical tools. Celtics seriously considering him at 3.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Everyone seems to shoot well in practice.

If his season shooting was also good the Celtics should draft him. If not .....

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm

dboss wrote:Everyone seems to shoot well in practice.  

If his season shooting was also good the Celtics should draft him.  If not .....

Dboss

In conference play Brown's overall stats were comparable to Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. And Brown shot 34.5% from 3 in conference play. Closer to the 40% he shot from 3 in high school.

And Brown is a distinctly better athlete than Winslow and Johnson. He really could be our version of LeBron, without the passing.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:15 pm

We all talk about the Celtics need for 3 point shooting, but a lot of that is because we don't have guys who can get to the rim and FT line, other than IT and sometimes Evan Turner.

Brown might be the best or at least top 3 in transition offense, and he might be the best half-court dribble driver in the draft. Certainly better than Ben Simmons at dribble driving in the half-court.

And Ingram, Murray, Hield, right down the line are mediocre at best at driving in the half court.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 pm

This really bothers me, that young players can't dribble drive to the rim. Isn't that a basic fundamental skill we should look for, besides shooting from the perimeter? I can't shoot threes, but at my age I am getting very good at dribbling.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:31 pm

worcester wrote:This really bothers me, that young players can't dribble drive to the rim. Isn't that a basic fundamental skill we should look for, besides shooting from the perimeter? I can't shoot threes, but at my age I am getting very good at dribbling.

Most of the top prospects this year aren't the top athletes. They can all bounce the ball while moving forward at the same time, it's just that they lack the world class athleticism of a Jaylen Brown.

And as nice a kid as Denzel Valentine is, his super-slow foot speed might make him a back up small forward at best in the NBA.

Marcus Smart is simply too big-boned/naturally heavy to be a good, reliable dribble driver for us like we wanted. He probably weighs 235 now even if his weight is listed at 225 from a couple long years ago.

Jaylen Brown is so explosively athletic with his first step that he might take Jae Crowder's job as a rookie, even if Crowder continues to play like a near-all star.

Brandon Ingram is an amazing prospect, but he's even skinnier than Tayshaun Prince, and the team that drafts him is going to have to worry about injuries to an extent they wouldn't need to with Jaylen Brown.

I'm convinced Brown has a real chance to go #2 to the Lakers, leaving Ingram for us. Either way, Danny's going to have a fine prospect available at #3 no matter what happens with picks 1 and 2.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next