Summer League Schedule

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Summer League Schedule

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:38 pm

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics will open the Las Vegas Summer League against the Chicago Bulls, according to a schedule the NBA released Tuesday.

The Celtics' full summer schedule (including the Utah Jazz Summer League) follows below:

UTAH

Monday, July 4: vs. Philadelphia 76ers (7 p.m. EST)
Tuesday, July 5: vs. Utah Jazz (7 p.m.)
Thursday, July 7: vs. San Antonio Spurs (9 p.m.)

LAS VEGAS

Saturday, July 9: vs. Chicago Bulls (6 p.m.)
Sunday, July 10: vs. Phoenix Suns (10:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, July 12: vs. Dallas Mavericks (6 p.m.)
July 13-18: tournament play

bob
MY NOTE:  MY Schedule:

6/21 - 6/23 - Talk about possible trades that change Da Draft
6/23 - Da Draft!
6/24-6/26 - Talk about Da Draft
6/27 - 6/30 - Talk about impending free agency
7/1-7/3 - Free Agency
7/4 - 7/18 - BASKETBALL!!!

Pretty much 4 weeks of something.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Summer League Schedule

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Bump

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Bobh,
Thanks.

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Bob thanks for sharing.

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks Bob, was trying to find this. I assume all will be on NBA channel?
Does Comcast cover any, I think they did last year. Some games were in the afternoon
in previous years

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:33 pm

I will be in Boston for the 4th so I just set up my DVD NBA TV channel

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

There is an article about the summer league matchups.  I'm not going to copy-and-paste it but the approach is interesting.

Celtic summer league matchups.  Who is battling whom for a roster spot?

Point Guard

Terry Rozier vs Demetrius Jackson.  The defensive-oriented 2nd year player against an IT-like offensive rookie.  Can Rozier shoot better than last year?  Can Jackson defend at the NBA level?  Does Jackson fit space-and-pace better than Rozier, or are they showing us reasons why Bradley might go on the block?  If the question is "do we really need two ITs?" then can't another question be "do we really need two Bradleys?"  Both of these players have a lot of overlap in their skills with IT and Bradley.

Shooting Guard

James Young vs RJ Hunter.  This is James Young's last chance, and he must know it.  If that doesn't light a fire under him nothing will.  RJ had a great summer league last year but then, inexplicably, couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the edge of the pier during the regular season.

Also, lurking in the wings just in case one of them stumbles badly, is rookie Abdel Nader.

Wings

Jaylen Brown is expected to excel in summer league, the level of competition commands it and the shrieks of boobirds will resound if he does not, but will we see the beginning glimpse of the emergence of a player that could make Marcus Smart redundant?  Smart has shown tremendous versatility on defense but is a liability on offense.  He is also quite marketable, from Danny's perspective.  While I feel confident saying Danny drafted Brown for no other reason than he likes him as a player is it possible, in doing so, that he drafted Smart's replacement?  Notice how I was merciful to James Young by putting him against Hunter, as a SG, and not against Brown at SF, even though SF is the position Young is more comfortable at.  At the risk of projecting results not in evidence, I feel like expecting James Young to compete for a roster spot against Jaylen Brown might be like putting Bambi up against a Marine Recon sniper.

Bigs

Zizic and Frenchie are not guarantees to play in summer league, yet, but Ben Bentil is.  So will Jordan Mickey.  Bentil is, from what I understand, a good shooting stretch 4.  Mickey is a shot blocker, but does he have the range a modern 4 needs?

Summer league starts on the 4th of July, against the Sixers and Ben Simmons. Anybody want to take a flyer on whom the Celts will call upon to try and slow down Simmons? That should be fun.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Too bad we can't just have ONE guard with Rozier's D and Jackson's O and ONE PF with Mickey's D and Bentil's O. 

Find a way to combine those 4 guys into 2 guys please  Very Happy
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Ram

I think i would take Bradley over both Rozier and Jackson because Bradley is a better defender and a better shooter from distance. Maybe one day either of them will become good at making 3 point shots but it is unlikely to sway the bar during summer vacation

has anyone seen the roster?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Jackson shot .33% from behind the arc which is not bad.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Oh for dboss, Bradley was FIRST TEAM all defense while also shooting between 35.2%-39.5% from 3 the last three seasons while averaging 13.9-15.2 ppg as our starting SG. He's also a decent rebounder and locker room leader. That is a very good player to have on your roster and he doesn't even turn 26 until around Thanksgiving. 

The negatives are that he doesn't cut and move around on offense the way he did back when he supplanted Ray Allen and looked so promising playing alongside Rondo, turning into a more boring classic '3 and D' player. He is 2-3" shorter than you'd like, injury prone to the point of missing 10-15 games almost every year, is a poor ball-handler and does not create his own offense in the halfcourt game or do much to create for others. 

For all those reasons I would have preferred Butler and probably would have traded Bradley and picks 3 and 16 for him. But if the Bulls were holding out for Crowder or next years Nets pick that was WAY too much to give up.

And of course I'd like Bradley over Rozier or Jackson. There seems to be room for only one of them on a roster with Bradley, IT and Smart all playing starter level minutes at the two guard spots.
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Meant to say: "Oh for sure dboss"

And I think everyone feels Jackson is a very good offensive player. When he had Jerian Grant as his running mate and ND was a better team in 2014-15 he shot 43% from 3 and 56% from the floor. Those are pretty crazy shooting numbers. He also shot 81% from the line last year.

At 6'1" he does have a 6'5" wingspan and collected well over a steal a game the last two college seasons. He has a CRAZY 43.5" max vertical leap as well. But defense is the primary concern with him.
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:09 pm

If Jackson signs a team friendly contract like Jordan Mickey did last year, and proceeds to hit 35-40% of his 3's in summer league while showing he's more than adequate on D defending PG's, then I think Rozier is the one who should go. 

Jackson could be locked up to a 4 year deal paying around a million per year as 45th pick. Mickey was pick 33 and was paid 1.25 million per for 4 years, which was actually slightly more than a late 1st rd pick got. Rozier will make 1.9 million next year, then a 2 million team option for 2017-18 (when we may need the cap space) followed by a 3m option after that before restricted free agency. 

If Smart is going to be more of a Tony Allen with a handle type player, who defends SG/SF's more often than PG's and is at his best on offense when paired with another ball-handler who can run the point if needed (like Turner) then I think Jackson would be a better choice to play with him than Rozier. The bench unit will need offense and Rozier and Smart are a bit too redundant, just like Rozier and Bradley. Add to that Jackson likely costing HALF what Rozier will make the next 3 years, is 6 months younger and will hit free agency one year later, and you can see where this is going.
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 am

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
Hearing there's a chance Guerschon Yabusele will play summer league with the Celtics.
12:57 PM - 28 Jun 2016
 66 66 Retweets   154 154 likes

Marc D'Amico @Marc_DAmico
Micah Shrewsberry will coach the Summer Celtics in Salt Lake City, and Jamie Young will coach the Summer Celtics in Las Vegas.
8:52 AM - 28 Jun 2016
 28 28 Retweets   38 38 likes

bob
MY NOTE:  "There's a chance" is stronger than "we don't know" but not much.  The one I want to see is Zizic.  I'm not worried, nor particularly interested in Brown because he's making the roster and summer league competition is weak.  Seeing Frenchie and Zizic play, their styles, their strengths and weaknesses, would be educational and Zizic has a chance to make the club if Zeller is gone. Frenchie has a shot too, if Sully is gone, but Sully is a RFA so Danny will at least be able to get something in return for him.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am

Aren't they both still under contract in the Adriatic and French leagues? It might take a little more time then summer league allows for that but a waiver could work. I want to see Yabusele right away to see what he's got because I expect Ante to make the roster and contribute. I don't think Sully could keep up with him in training camp. "They" say you can't sign and play three first round picks but only one of these is a one and done college kid, the others, although the same age, are experienced professionals playing in a men's league. I'm excited about these possibilities even though I'm gaining weight drinking all the kool aid
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:01 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Aren't they both still under contract in the Adriatic and French leagues? It might take a little more time then summer league allows for that but a waiver could work. I want to see Yabusele right away to see what he's got because I expect Ante to make the roster and contribute. I don't think Sully could keep up with him in training camp. "They" say you can't sign and play three first round picks but only one of these is a one and done college kid, the others, although the same age, are experienced professionals playing in a men's league. I'm excited about these possibilities even though I'm gaining weight drinking all the kool aid

mulcogi,

Both players are under contract for next year. That doesn't mean a reasonable buyout cannot be negotiated but there aren't ones already in their contracts.

Hope you are doing well.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Ram wrote:If Jackson signs a team friendly contract like Jordan Mickey did last year, and proceeds to hit 35-40% of his 3's in summer league while showing he's more than adequate on D defending PG's, then I think Rozier is the one who should go. 

Jackson could be locked up to a 4 year deal paying around a million per year as 45th pick. Mickey was pick 33 and was paid 1.25 million per for 4 years, which was actually slightly more than a late 1st rd pick got. Rozier will make 1.9 million next year, then a 2 million team option for 2017-18 (when we may need the cap space) followed by a 3m option after that before restricted free agency. 

If Smart is going to be more of a Tony Allen with a handle type player, who defends SG/SF's more often than PG's and is at his best on offense when paired with another ball-handler who can run the point if needed (like Turner) then I think Jackson would be a better choice to play with him than Rozier. The bench unit will need offense and Rozier and Smart are a bit too redundant, just like Rozier and Bradley. Add to that Jackson likely costing HALF what Rozier will make the next 3 years, is 6 months younger and will hit free agency one year later, and you can see where this is going.

You think the Celtics drafted Brown and Jackson because they intend to re-sign Evan Turner @ 10+ million per year, and then release Rozier and his super-cheap long term contract?

There's plenty of room for both Rozier and Jackson. Jackson would be our 3rd string pg, Rozier the 2nd string.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:50 pm

arambone wrote:
Ram wrote:If Jackson signs a team friendly contract like Jordan Mickey did last year, and proceeds to hit 35-40% of his 3's in summer league while showing he's more than adequate on D defending PG's, then I think Rozier is the one who should go. 

You think the Celtics drafted Brown and Jackson because they intend to re-sign Evan Turner @ 10+ million per year, and then release Rozier and his super-cheap long term contract?

There's plenty of room for both Rozier and Jackson. Jackson would be our 3rd string pg, Rozier the 2nd string.

arambone,

I think the Celtics drafted Brown because they see him as the future and they drafted Jackson because he was available at #45. If they saw him as a "definite make" for the roster they would have/could have drafted him with an earlier pick. He fell into their laps.

They cannot just "release" Rozier.  He is under contract.

I started to draw up what our roster is likely to look like and then trashed it because I realized I was, at least, 2 weeks premature.  The real fun is about to start.  Danny signed Amir and Jonas to 1+1s precisely so he could keep them, trade them as expiring contracts or sign them to a team-friendly contract extension if that makes the numbers work better and then trade them (or trade them and let the other team extend them).

I do not think any roster we are looking at today is the roster we will be seeing in October/November.

Here is the rookie presser, in full.  I believe it is also on the Rookie Press Conference thread, but you can listen here to see if you can gleam any insight from what anybody is saying.  Good luck.  As usual, when it comes to giving away information, Danny is a sphinx (as opposed to how some GMs seem to think he's a sphincter to trade with).

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:58 pm

Bob,

Rozier can be waived, but his salary would count against the cap for this season.

I agree it is too early to start looking at Boston's roster.
In the next week Boston will have to decide on guaranteeing Johnson and Jerebko's contract and they will probably have a better idea about offers from other teams for Sullinger and Turner.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Rozier can be waived, but his salary would count against the cap for this season.

In the next week Boston will have to decide on guaranteeing Johnson and Jerebko's contract and they will probably have a better idea about offers from other teams for Sullinger and Turner.

TJ,

The contracts must be picked up by 7/1. That means by COB tomorrow.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

The contracts must be picked up by 7/1.  That means by COB tomorrow.

bob

The guarantees for Johnson and Jerebko kick in on 7/3.

•6/30/16 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Zeller, Gigi Datome and Jared Sullinger.
•7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
•7/3/16 — Amir Johnson’s $12.0 million guarantees for 16/17.
•7/3/16 — Jonas Jerebko’s $5.0 million guarantees for 16/17.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:37 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

•6/30/16 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Zeller, Gigi Datome and Jared Sullinger.

TJ,

Per Celticsblog:

At first blush it would appear that the Celtics would have two days to evaluate free agent signing options before making the call on Johnson and Jerebko. However, there’s a rule in the CBA that stipulates that players need to clear the waiver process—which takes a full 48 hours. That 48 hours would have to take place before the July 3rd deadline, so the the Celtics would need to request waivers for either player by the end of the day on June 30th.

So, a decision to waive or not must be done by COB tomorrow.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:53 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

bob

TJ,

Per Celticsblog:

At first blush it would appear that the Celtics would have two days to evaluate free agent signing options before making the call on Johnson and Jerebko. However, there’s a rule in the CBA that stipulates that players need to clear the waiver process—which takes a full 48 hours. That 48 hours would have to take place before the July 3rd deadline, so the the Celtics would need to request waivers for either player by the end of the day on June 30th.

So, a decision to waive or not must be done by COB tomorrow.

bob

Bob,

That might be true, but I thought waiving and not guaranteeing contracts are two separate things.
If Boston waives Johnson or Jerebko, teams could put in a waiver claim and have them on their team for $12m and $5m.
Johnson and Jerebko have no control over this.
If their contracts are not guaranteed by 7/3, they both become free agents and then can sign with any team they want, including Boston.
This is my understanding, but I could be wrong.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach about 27 minutes ago
Sounding like Celtics 1st round pick Ante Zizic will not be playing in summer leagues.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Gary Washburn
Gary Washburn
@GwashburnGlobe about 2 hours ago
#Celtics rookie Guerschon Yabusele confirms he will play summer league

Reply Retweet Like

bob