cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
arambone
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jaylen Brown Empty Jaylen Brown

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 am

Now he has a post-draft thread of his own.

Here are my quick thoughts on the pick:

arambone

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown Empty Re: Jaylen Brown

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:35 am

All these Celtics fans clamoring for a star, and then whining about not getting a star, and not even realizing Danny just drafted a star.

D Wade, Westbrook, Curry, and the majority of today's superstars were "second tier prospects".

Unlike those guys though, Brown was neck and neck for top high school prospect with Ben Simmons. And unlike those guys named above, Brown didn't need multiple years of college to get on the NBA radar.

This kid is and was a blue chipper all the way, tagged many years ago as a likely NBA star.

The only thing he's missing is a lights out 3 point shot, but people act like that's all that matters, while they dream about Jimmy Butler and his 31% 3 point shooting.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:42 am

Here's Brown Vs Ben Simmons:

Dec 24, 2014
Full highlights of #1 Ben Simmons vs. #2 Jaylen Brown in the 2014 City of Palms championship game. Wheeler (GA) gave Montverde (FL) their 1st loss of the season, 72-65. Ben Simmons finished with 28 points & 12 rebounds. Jaylen Brown fouled out with 25 points, 12 rebounds & 6 assists.

If Simmons was stuck in a terrible slow down offense, he would not have looked spectacular. If Brown had played in an uptempo system, he would have looked as good as Ben Simmons.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:52 am

College teams supposedly started figuring out how to guard Ben Simmons later in the year, and they did it with a smaller, athletic player who could cut off Simmons' drives and force him to shoot outside. Faced with that, Simmons just passed the ball of, like Rondo used to do.

A guy like Brown is exactly who you'd want to guard a Ben Simmons, who we'll be facing four times a year for the foreseeable future.

I think Brown in our uptempo system is a better player right now than Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. Brown's ball handling is better, and his athleticism is simply at another level than those guys. He's also at least an inch taller than both. Winslow was only 6'4.5" in socks.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:02 am

"Jaylen Brown vs Brandon Ingram!! The Nation's BEST Small Forwards FACE OFF!!

6'7 Jaylen Brown (Wheeler High School, GA) and 6'8 Brandon Ingram (Kinston High School, NC) faced off at the 2014 Adidas Unrivaled event. The seniors are ranked #1 and #2 by ESPN.com."

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:10 am

In April I looked at the conference play stats of Winslow, S Johnson, and Jaylen Brown from their freshman seasons.

games
Winslow 18
Johnson 18
Brown 18

2pt FGs
Winslow 66-134 53.2%
Johnson 68-142 47.9%
Brown 76-151 50.3%

3pt FGs
Winslow 22-53 41.5%
Johnson 14-48 29.2%
Brown 19-55 34.5%

FTs
Winslow 41-69 59.4%
Johnson 64-79 81.0%
Brown 77-119 65.7%

Points per game
Winslow 13.3
Johnson 13.4
Brown 15.9

Why look at conference play? Because they're freshmen, there's going to be an adjustment period at the beginning of the year, and the level of competition in non-conference play is all over the place. Also, with conference play you can compare it to their overall season averages and see if they are improving as the year goes on.

The stats of Winslow, Johnson, and Brown are almost identical overall in conference play, other than Brown getting to the FT line a lot more, and Johnson being the best FT shooter by far.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justise-winslow-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/stanley-johnson-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylen-brown-1.html

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 pm

arambone wrote:Now he has a post-draft thread of his own.

Here are my quick thoughts on the pick:

arambone,

What a great way of explaining yourself.  So, that's what you sound like!  

I agree with much of what you said.  I'm not quite ready to say that Brown will be able to take Bradley's place in the starting lineup.  I agree he has MUCH better size to guard SGs than Bradley, Bradley's defense is MUCH more effective against point guards, but I'm going to wait to see...

Good job.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

arambone wrote:"Jaylen Brown vs Brandon Ingram!! The Nation's BEST Small Forwards FACE OFF!!

6'7 Jaylen Brown (Wheeler High School, GA) and 6'8 Brandon Ingram (Kinston High School, NC) faced off at the 2014 Adidas Unrivaled event. The seniors are ranked #1 and #2 by ESPN.com."

Ingram is SO long!  Wow.  He's a toothpick, but a long one.   I think for him to survive in the NBA he'll have to play SF, which I think he could do.  He'd be awesome there, but as a 4?  He'll become a grease spot on the floor.

Brown's game, both here against Ingram and in the above video against Simmons, is as aggressive as his talk at the rookie presser yesterday.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks Bob. I'm slowly learning to add more tonal variation so I don't sound like an over-medicated serial killer.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Jaylen Brown 500716278-jaylen-brown-of-the-california-golden-bears-gettyimages

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:01 pm

I still love Smart enough to think he could be part of the next big 3 or big 4 that wins a championship, and think he'll probably always be a better (all defense) defender than Brown, but Brown has some real advantages over him.

I've mostly been thinking about Brown at SF for the last few months, but I wonder if I'm sleeping on his potential at SG in Boston.

At 6'7, long arms, 225 lbs of pure muscle, and All NBA level athleticism, Brown could be dominant at SG, and physically dominate SGs better than he can SFs.

Smart has great strength and leverage to post up guards, but at 6'3.5", and not a quick/high leaper, he has his limitations in the post.

Brown is just as strong, but is 3.5" taller, has longer arms, and is a much much better leaper. At SG Brown would live at the FT line even more than at SF, especially if we have one or two stretch bigs on the floor drawing opposing bigs out of the paint. Opposing guards would be forced to hack Brown every time he has the ball inside of 10 feet.

IT
Brown
Crowder
Jerebko/Olynyk
Amir?

Having two big strong SFs on the floor in Brown and Crowder would really help our rebounding, rim protection, and all the other big boy things that our stretch bigs aren't great at.

And at SG, Brown could be our go-to scorer perhaps as soon as this year.

Since Brown has been working like crazy, and competing against all comers in draft workouts, and even playing Jimmy Butler to a stand-still in one-on-one, it's very safe to say that he has already improved significantly from the end of the college season.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Imagine Smart, Brown, and Crowder on the floor at the same time next to two bigs. That's a whole lot of beef in the back court.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:03 pm

arambone wrote:Thanks Bob. I'm slowly learning to add more tonal variation so I don't sound like an over-medicated serial killer.

arambone,

You mean like the way you sometimes come across in your writing? Good thinking, run with it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:04 pm

LOL

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:10 pm

speaking of serial killers, I wonder what Smart thinks of the Brown draft pick.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:34 pm

arambone wrote:speaking of serial killers, I wonder what Smart thinks of the Brown draft pick.

Let's hope he thinks he better spend a lot of time this summer working on his shot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:42 pm

bobheckler wrote:
arambone wrote:speaking of serial killers, I wonder what Smart thinks of the Brown draft pick.

Let's hope he thinks he better spend a lot of time this summer working on his shot.

bob

Let's hope it's his basketball shot he's working on

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:07 pm

arambone wrote:I still love Smart enough to think he could be part of the next big 3 or big 4 that wins a championship, and think he'll probably always be a better (all defense) defender than Brown, but Brown has some real advantages over him.

I've mostly been thinking about Brown at SF for the last few months, but I wonder if I'm sleeping on his potential at SG in Boston.

At 6'7, long arms, 225 lbs of pure muscle, and All NBA level athleticism, Brown could be dominant at SG, and physically dominate SGs better than he can SFs.

Smart has great strength and leverage to post up guards, but at 6'3.5", and not a quick/high leaper, he has his limitations in the post.

Brown is just as strong, but is 3.5" taller, has longer arms, and is a much much better leaper. At SG Brown would live at the FT line even more than at SF, especially if we have one or two stretch bigs on the floor drawing opposing bigs out of the paint. Opposing guards would be forced to hack Brown every time he has the ball inside of 10 feet.

IT
Brown
Crowder
Jerebko/Olynyk
Amir?

Having two big strong SFs on the floor in Brown and Crowder would really help our rebounding, rim protection, and all the other big boy things that our stretch bigs aren't great at.

Since Brown has been working like crazy, and competing against all comers in draft workouts, and even playing Jimmy Butler to a stand-still in one-on-one, it's very safe to say that he has already improved significantly from the end of the college season.

rambone I have to give you some credit, you know the game and love the game, we obviously have had some differences of opinion.

How do you know Brown went one on one with Jimmy Butler? and glad he held his own. On your line ups, Crowder while a physical 3, is not the fastest in transition, you put a line up of IT/Smart, AB and Brown at the 3, thats a fast swarming 1-3 that should really play some great fast break ball uptempo ball.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:00 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
arambone wrote:I still love Smart enough to think he could be part of the next big 3 or big 4 that wins a championship, and think he'll probably always be a better (all defense) defender than Brown, but Brown has some real advantages over him.

IT
Brown
Crowder
Jerebko/Olynyk
Amir?

rambone I have to give you some credit, you know the game and love the game, we obviously have had some differences of opinion.

How do you know Brown went one on one with Jimmy Butler? and glad he held his own. On your line ups, Crowder while a physical 3, is not the fastest in transition, you put a line up of IT/Smart, AB and Brown at the 3, thats a fast swarming 1-3 that should really play some great fast break ball uptempo ball.

I know the game pretty well, but I just went out and played basketball with some young guys, including a guy who dunked on Andre Drummond when they were both freshmen in high school. This guy didn't have the love for the game though so he just plays in men's leagues.

Anyway, I stunk it up today. Out of shape, out of practice, and bricked a lot of shots I usually make.
Time to get back in shape and try to hold my own with the young bucks for at least one last summer. I'm 37.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:14 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/6/24/12028372/i-went-to-school-with-jaylen-brown-here-is-why-he-is-different

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-062316-jaylen-brown-ready-to-embrace-Boston/

Jaylen Brown 160623brown2

Jaylen Brown Ready to Embrace Boston

Posted: Jun 24, 2016

By Taylor C. Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com

June 24, 2016

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics fell in love with Jaylen Brown the moment he stepped on the court at their practice facility in Waltham, Massachusetts.

The California-Berkley forward brought a unique blend of athleticism, versatility, determination and intelligence that sparked the interest of Boston’s basketball ops staff – so much that it opted to select him with the No. 3 overall pick in Thursday night’s NBA Draft.

Brown was the first of eight selections made by the Celtics on Draft Night. The organization kept six of those picks, while trading away Nos. 31 and 35 to Memphis for a future pick. Also joining the C’s during the busy evening was Guerschon Yabusele (No. 16), Ante Zizic (No. 23), Demetrius Jackson (No. 45), Ben Bentil (No. 51) and Abdel Nader (No. 58).

Brown, however, being the team’s top selection of the night, was the hot topic of discussion as Danny Ainge took the podium after the Draft. And Boston’s president of basketball operations did not shy away from praising the young, promising forward.

“[He has] great athleticism – sort of the vogue, new type of player in the NBA – a versatile wing who can play multiple positions defensively,” said Ainge. “And we think he has a lot of upside. We think that he’s a 19-year-old kid that can get out on the court and play with the big boys right out of the gate, and those are rare.”

Not only is Brown a versatile, NBA-ready defender, but he’s also a significant scoring threat. He’s an athletic wing with great slashing ability, which is just the type of player the Celtics need right now.

When Brown phoned into Boston Thursday night, he admitted that he had no idea the C’s were planning to take him, though he had been feeling good vibes ever since he came back to Boston for a second workout.

“When they invited me in for a second workout, I knew they had some heavy interest,” said Brown. “I wasn’t quite sure how things would go, but I’m glad I’m here now and can’t wait to get started.”

Brown played one season at Cal, where he averaged 14.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, while earning Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors, as well as a First-Team All-Pac-12 nod.

His main trademarks with the Golden Bears were his playmaking ability and his extremely high motor, which he says should translate to “a lot of passion and energy” at the NBA level.

He emphatically stated that he plans to “Leave it all on the floor and wear my heart on my sleeve day-in and day-out.”

In other words, he’s already determined to bleed green for the city of Boston.

Brown sees the Celtics as an ideal system for him, in that it will enable him to take full advantage of his versatility and thrive in small ball situations.

“I’m strong enough to guard the big guys, and have enough heart to lock them down,” said Brown, who boasts a 7-foot wingspan. “The way the NBA is going forward with versatility and everybody being able to play multiple positions, I’ll fit right in.”

That belief seems to be mutual among Brown, the C’s basketball ops staff and the ownership, alike.

“We feel that he’s got the physique and the competitive drive and motor skills, and, really important – the character and the intelligence,” said managing partner, governor and CEO Wyc Grousbeck moments after the selection was made. “He’s a very, very smart guy.

“I’m really impressed with Jaylen, A to Z, and I’m looking forward to having him in Celtic green.

“I think it’s the right move for our team at this time and our future.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:35 am

Guess whose numbers these were:

games     FG%   3pt%     FT%   RB    ppg
college freshman year   34    .534     n/a      .722      4.4  13.5

1st year in NBA:           82    .515     .173    .845      6.5   28.2

Compare to Jaylen:      34     .431     .294    .654      5.4    14.6

Should any NBA team have used a #3 pick on either of these "non-shooters?"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:39 am

worcester wrote:Guess whose numbers these were:

games     FG%   3pt%     FT%   RB    ppg
college freshman year   34    .534     n/a      .722      4.4  13.5

1st year in NBA:           82    .515     .173    .845      6.5   28.2

Compare to Jaylen:      34     .431     .294    .654      5.4    14.6

Should any NBA team have used a #3 pick on either of these "non-shooters?"

worcester,

Oooh. Good one.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Obviously Bob you know I was not referring to any of these #3 picks:

2004 - Ben Gordon
2006 - Adam Morrison
2008 - OJ Mayo
2010 - Derrick Favors
2012 - Bradley Beal
2014 - Joel Embiid

Let's judge Danny's pick against this lot. Or hopefully compare his choice someday to the 1984 #3 pick. yes, I'm drinking the Kool Aid.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Isiah Thomas with Freshman Jaylen Brown

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down