swish
NYCelt
steve3344
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Durant to Golden State Empty Durant to Golden State

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:51 am

ESPN Radio just said Durant announced he's going to the Warriors for two years $54 million.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Durant to Golden State Empty Re: Durant to Golden State

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:02 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16759826/kevin-durant-announces-sign-golden-state-warriors

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Here's how it was announced in his old hometown paper in OKC:

http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-signs-with-the-warriors/article/5508036

Kevin Durant signs with the Warriors
Anthony Slater by Anthony Slater Published: July 4, 2016 Updated: 59 seconds ago

Kevin Durant, the face of the Thunder franchise for eight years, is leaving to join the Golden State Warriors.

After a four-day free agent saga, Durant announced his intentions to sign with the Warriors on The Player's Tribune on Monday morning. Here was Durant's message:

"This has been by far the most challenging few weeks in my professional life. I understood cognitively that I was facing a crossroads in my evolution as a player and as a man, and that it came with exceptionally difficult choices. What I didn’t truly understand, however, was the range of emotions I would feel during this process.

The primary mandate I had for myself in making this decision was to have it based on the potential for my growth as a player — as that has always steered me in the right direction. But I am also at a point in my life where it is of equal importance to find an opportunity that encourages my evolution as a man: moving out of my comfort zone to a new city and community which offers the greatest potential for my contribution and personal growth. With this in mind, I have decided that I am going to join the Golden State Warriors.

I’m from Washington, D.C. originally, but Oklahoma City truly raised me. It taught me so much about family as well as what it means to be a man. There are no words to express what the organization and the community mean to me, and what they will represent in my life and in my heart forever. The memories and friendships are something that go far beyond the game. Those invaluable relationships are what made this deliberation so challenging.

It really pains me to know that I will disappoint so many people with this choice, but I believe I am doing what I feel is the right thing at this point in my life and my playing career.

I will miss Oklahoma City, and the role I have had in building this remarkable team. I will forever cherish the relationships within the organization — the friends and teammates that I went to war with on the court for nine years, and all the fans and people of the community. They have always had my back unconditionally, and I cannot be more grateful for what they have meant to my family and to me."

We will have continued coverage of the Durant decision on NewsOK.com and in The Oklahoman.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:13 pm

And how it was reported in his new team's local paper, the East Bay Times:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/warriors/ci_30088954/kevin-durant-sign-warriors

Kevin Durant to sign with Warriors
By Marcus Thompson II, mthomps2@bayareanewsgroup.com
POSTED: 07/04/2016 08:41:38 AM PDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 3 HOURS AGO

OAKLAND -- Kevin Durant will be a Warrior.

The Oklahoma City free agent announced Monday he will be leaving the Thunder to move to the Bay Area. The Warriors' three-year plan to woo Durant and pair him with two-time MVP Stephen Curry results in one of the biggest free agent acquisitions in NBA history.

Durant, the former MVP and four-time scoring champ, joins a Warriors core that won 140 games the last two seasons and were minutes away from back-to-back championships. Durant is not allowed to sign until the NBA moratorium ends on July 7, but when he does the Warriors will have four current All-NBA players in Durant, Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

Durant met with six teams over the weekend in the Hamptons area of Long Island in New York. The incumbent Thunder, the Warriors, the Los Angeles Clippers, the San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat and Boston Celtics all had a chance to pitch Durant. The Thunder closed with a second meeting.

Several sources said it was down to the Warriors and Thunder. Golden State sent four players -- Curry, Thompson, Green and Andre Iguodala -- along with CEO Joe Lacob, general manager Bob Myers and coach Steve Kerr. Durant called and talked to NBA legend Jerry West, and executive board member, on Saturday night.

The Warriors invited Durant to come make history with them. And though Oklahoma City, which raised Durant from college prodigy to Hall of Fame candidate, was pegged as the heavy favorites to keep Durant, the Warriors' offer proved too good to pass up.

Durant has had his eye on the Warriors for some time, per sources. He built a relationship with Curry, Thompson and Iguodala with Team USA in 2010. Durant, Curry and Iguodala have a connection as men of faith, and Green and Durant have grown friendly over the years.

The Warriors added to that by becoming a power in the Western Conference with a style of play that fits Durant's game. The Warriors' ball-movement, shooting and transition game plays to his strengths. And with three other All-Stars, Durant won't have to carry as large a burden as he did in Oklahoma City.

The Warriors are also willing to spend. They are based in a booming area of the country, which is good for Durant's manifold business interests. And they are planning to move into a state of the art arena in 2019.

Oklahoma City is an elite team in the Western Conference with Durant. But the Thunder has failed to capture that elusive title despite having two of the league's best players in Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Oklahoma City reached the NBA Finals in 2012, but followed by trading key piece James Harden to Houston in part to avoid paying three huge salaries. Since that move, Oklahoma City has struggled to rediscover that third piece of the puzzle.

Oklahoma City looked to be headed back to the Finals in May, when they had the Warriors down 3-1 in the Western Conference Finals. But the Thunder squandered that golden opportunity, continuing a trend of falling just short despite looking for stretches as good as it ever has.

Durant was expected by many to return and try to finish the job, deliver Oklahoma City that championship. But Westbrook is a free agent next season and could leave, which meant the Thunder's run as a contender might have had but one more year anyway.

Insiders said Durant only wanted to go through this free agency process once. And with the Thunder's long-term future being uncertain, he took the chance to be historic. He joined the team with a chance to win multiple titles and be considered among the best ever.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:37 pm

The good news for OKC is Ginobili is a free agent and wants to come back. They can offer him a max deal...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 pm

hes a man he knows what it means to be a man Shocked Shocked

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Jerry West's next job is to lobby the NBA Rules Committe to change the game and permit two balls at once.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:11 pm

bobheckler wrote:Jerry West's next job is to lobby the NBA Rules Committe to change the game and permit two balls at once.

bob

I'm glad my parents allowed me to have two balls.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 pm

We had Brexit. Now we have Durexit.

Get those t-shirts printed up.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 pm

NBA players react:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/nba-players-react-to-kevin-durant-signing-with-the-warriors-161033067.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:23 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/felger-kevin-durant-decision-borderline-pathetic

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:28 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/felger-kevin-durant-decision-borderline-pathetic
What's pathetic is the hate parade.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Outside wrote:

Hate is a strong word. Anyone who "hates" Durant because of this might be disturbed. That being said, humans love heroes, and heroes are Davids, not Goliaths. Durant joined forces with Goliath. Hard to be a hero when you team up with Goliath. The sad thing is, KD could have been a hero, but he sold out that possibility for greater chance to be a champion. It would have been different if he went to a team like Boston, but to join the team that knocked out OKC just makes him a villain , and not even a kind-of-cool alpha villain, but rather a sneaky beta villian. I blame a short-sighted media who fill athletes heads with the overall simplistic  notion that championships are all that matter. KD had the potential and opportunity to live a bigger story. That, I think, is why people feel such a visceral disappointment.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Outside wrote:

Spoken like a Golden State fan.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:37 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Hate is a strong word. Anyone who "hates" Durant because of this might be disturbed. That being said, humans love heroes, and heroes are Davids, not Goliaths. Durant joined forces with Goliath. Hard to be a hero when you team up with Goliath. The sad thing is, KD could have been a hero, but he sold out that possibility for greater chance to be a champion. It would have been different if he went to a team like Boston, but to join the team that knocked out OKC just makes him a villain , and not even a kind-of-cool alpha villain, but rather a sneaky beta villian. I blame a short-sighted media who fill athletes heads with the overall simplistic notion that championships are all that matter. KD had the potential and opportunity to live a bigger story. That, I think, is why people feel such a visceral disappointment.
You hit on a key aspect in the part of your post I put in bold -- it is a visceral, emotional reaction. And for many people, I do think it's hate -- several people on this board have expressed that -- but outrage may be a better word for the wider group.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:38 pm

steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

You got a problem with that?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

Nope. But it was expected.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:53 pm

steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

Nope.  But it was expected.
It's too bad you can't handle it. I guess I was tolerable around here when my favorite team was a downtrodden has-been, but now that they're good, I'm no longer allowed to be a fan. Congratulations, the board is yours.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

It's too bad you can't handle it. I guess I was tolerable around here when my favorite team was a downtrodden has-been, but now that they're good, I'm no longer allowed to be a fan. Congratulations, the board is yours.

All I said was that response from someone who is a Golden State fan "was expected." And I said I didn't have a problem with it.

And you're leaving the board over that?? Stop being so thin-skinned.

But do what you want.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Outside wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Hate is a strong word. Anyone who "hates" Durant because of this might be disturbed. That being said, humans love heroes, and heroes are Davids, not Goliaths. Durant joined forces with Goliath. Hard to be a hero when you team up with Goliath. The sad thing is, KD could have been a hero, but he sold out that possibility for greater chance to be a champion. It would have been different if he went to a team like Boston, but to join the team that knocked out OKC just makes him a villain , and not even a kind-of-cool alpha villain, but rather a sneaky beta villian. I blame a short-sighted media who fill athletes heads with the overall simplistic  notion that championships are all that matter. KD had the potential and opportunity to live a bigger story. That, I think, is why people feel such a visceral disappointment.
You hit on a key aspect in the part of your post I put in bold -- it is a visceral, emotional reaction. And for many people, I do think it's hate -- several people on this board have expressed that -- but outrage may be a better word for the wider group.

Didn't realize you are a GSW fan. I guess I'd be pretty happy too if I were you....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, we occasionally needle and provoke fans of other teams on here, especially when they're fans of a long-time nemesis or of a team presently better than the C's - look at the frequent abuse some members direct at tj because he's a Laker fan.  And he's welcome to be here if he can take it.  And he's fine with it.  We never insult or make it personal (almost never anyway, and then those people get called out by the Mods).  We make observations, like I did with you, and explained your post by you being a GS fan, saying that reaction was expected.  

You are MOST CERTAINLY allowed to be a fan (of GS).  Just remember we're all not in love with your team at the moment.  And will tell you.  It's nothing personal.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 pm

steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, we occasionally needle and provoke fans of other teams on here, especially when they're fans of a long-time nemesis or of a team presently better than the C's - look at the frequent abuse some members direct at tj because he's a Laker fan.  And he's welcome to be here if he can take it.  And he's fine with it.  We never insult or make it personal (almost never anyway, and then those people get called out by the Mods).  We make observations, like I did with you, and explained your post by you being a GS fan, saying that reaction was expected.  

You are MOST CERTAINLY allowed to be a fan (of GS).  Just remember we're all not in love with your team at the moment.  And will tell you.  It's nothing personal.
As reflected by my name, I recognize that I'm an outsider on a Celtic board, and I've been able to make that work. I'm deferential to the Celtic-ness of the board. Posting about the Warriors hasn't been much of an issue because Golden State has been mediocre or worse during most of my time on the board, but with their rise the past two seasons, I've intentionally kept posts about the Warriors to a minimum. I've come across a bump or two, but I've generally found a comfortable place here.

The negativity toward the Warriors has been huge on the board this week. It's not from everyone, but it's been the predominant opinion voiced, and you've been out in front with it. You've stated you hate the Warriors and got a head start hating them in the finals. You've posted numerous links to commentaries or quotes from people who hate Durant signing with the Warriors. You're skewing everything to hate on the Warriors and Durant, like the Ray Allen thread you started which made it sound like he wants to join the Warriors when in fact he has four teams he'd consider and the Warriors supposedly aren't even interested.

I let things go for a few days, then decided to post something as a minor pushback today, to see how it goes. You may not have noticed, but I responded to the link and specifically did not include your name in the quote feature, because I wanted my response to be to the Felger rant, not to you personally. Shamrock had a thoughtful response, which is where I hoped things would go, but then you chimed in with, "Spoken like a Golden State fan."

I can understand that my favorite team is now unpopular on the board, that most people here strongly dislike Durant signing with the Warriors, but at a certain point, if there's going to be a constant drumbeat of vitriol, that's a different level from what I've seen previously other than what's been directed at LeBron, Wade, and the Heat.

On top of that, I did take your comment personally. It came across to me as if I'm now defined solely as a Golden State fan. If your response to my post isn't about the merits of Felger's rant or Durant's move but is instead to dismiss what I say because I'm a Golden State fan, that's significant, in my view.

An environment where the team I root for is openly hated to this degree and where I feel that hatred affects how I'm treated personally isn't a place I want to participate. I can tolerate plenty of "needling" and even what you term "abuse," if it comes from a place of respect and, appropriately, conviviality. Maybe that can work. Maybe it needs more time. Maybe explaining my point of view will help. We'll see.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

As reflected by my name, I recognize that I'm an outsider on a Celtic board, and I've been able to make that work. I'm deferential to the Celtic-ness of the board. Posting about the Warriors hasn't been much of an issue because Golden State has been mediocre or worse during most of my time on the board, but with their rise the past two seasons, I've intentionally kept posts about the Warriors to a minimum. I've come across a bump or two, but I've generally found a comfortable place here.

The negativity toward the Warriors has been huge on the board this week. It's not from everyone, but it's been the predominant opinion voiced, and you've been out in front with it. You've stated you hate the Warriors and got a head start hating them in the finals. You've posted numerous links to commentaries or quotes from people who hate Durant signing with the Warriors. You're skewing everything to hate on the Warriors and Durant, like the Ray Allen thread you started which made it sound like he wants to join the Warriors when in fact he has four teams he'd consider and the Warriors supposedly aren't even interested.

I let things go for a few days, then decided to post something as a minor pushback today, to see how it goes. You may not have noticed, but I responded to the link and specifically did not include your name in the quote feature, because I wanted my response to be to the Felger rant, not to you personally. Shamrock had a thoughtful response, which is where I hoped things would go, but then you chimed in with, "Spoken like a Golden State fan."

I can understand that my favorite team is now unpopular on the board, that most people here strongly dislike Durant signing with the Warriors, but at a certain point, if there's going to be a constant drumbeat of vitriol, that's a different level from what I've seen previously other than what's been directed at LeBron, Wade, and the Heat.

On top of that, I did take your comment personally. It came across to me as if I'm now defined solely as a Golden State fan. If your response to my post isn't about the merits of Felger's rant or Durant's move but is instead to dismiss what I say because I'm a Golden State fan, that's significant, in my view.

An environment where the team I root for is openly hated to this degree and where I feel that hatred affects how I'm treated personally isn't a place I want to participate. I can tolerate plenty of "needling" and even what you term "abuse," if it comes from a place of respect and, appropriately, conviviality. Maybe that can work. Maybe it needs more time. Maybe explaining my point of view will help. We'll see.

Please stick around Outside - I for one always enjoy your postings because of the sensitive way that you address each issue. If I've learned only a few things in my 70 years as a sports participant and fan one of the most cherished is the realization that a passionate love for or hate for a player or team can lead to a very opinionated attitude with logic often times being the victim.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:44 pm

Personally, I'm not getting all the criticism of Durant going to Golden State.  There's no good reason for it.  Just another NBA player doing his job.  He's looking for a title, contract's up, and he's going where he feels he gets the best chance at a ring.

I've got no problem with that.  It became part of the game when professional leagues adopted free agency.

Although on a bigger scale, bigger name, it's the same mentality that brought us guys like House, Posey, Cassell and Brown in '07.

I sure had no problem with them back then either.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:
steve3344 wrote:
Outside wrote:

"You're skewing everything to hate on the Warriors and Durant, like the Ray Allen thread you started which made it sound like he wants to join the Warriors"

The title of my thread was "Ray Allen wants to join the Warriors" and was intended to expose Ray Allen as a ridiculous and pathetic band-wagon jumper no matter WHICH great team he was willing to go groveling after to latch onto after being retired for a few years.  Had nothing to do with GS.  If it was the Clippers who had won 73 games and had just signed Durant and Ray had his reps reach out to them I would have posted the same exact thread but with a different team name in the headline.  It's RAY I was directing my derision toward by posting that and I'm sure everyone but you got that.  There's no love lost between Celtic fans and Ray because of the way he ran to Miami to join Lebron, Wade and Bosh when we wanted to re-sign him.  Maybe you're not aware of that.  So it was a poke at RAY, not the Warriors.

And to say that "I" made it sound like he wants to join the Warriors, did you even read the article??  How about this part:   "Then, from Chris Broussard of ESPN.com:
Allen’s representatives reached out to the Golden State Warriors recently about the possibility of Allen joining the Western Conference champions."  

So how is it that "I" made it sound like he wants to join the Warriors??  I'm somehow interpreting the article to my own slant??  Read this line again:  "Allen’s representatives reached out to the Golden State Warriors recently about the possibility of Allen joining the Western Conference champions."   Broussard said it, not me.

And there's no "hate" for GS on my part.  They haven't been good long enough to hate them.  I said I was tired of them, was rooting against them in the Finals because of Draymond Green's repeated attacks on opponents' groin areas, Kerr's whining, and the current perception they are one of the all-time great teams which I believe would get beaten fairly easily by the '86 Celtics, mid-80's Lakers or 90's Bulls.  So I was rooting for Cleveland so people would see that.  And I said I started rooting against them before the Finals even began.  Others on here did also.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next