+3
wideclyde
jrleftfoot
steve3344
7 posters

Go down

The case for Abdel Empty The case for Abdel

Post by steve3344 Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:39 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/16/12205850/the-paul-pierce-in-abdel-naders-game-the-case-for-a-celtics-2016

Hard to imagine a #58 pick making the team but Manu Ginobili was drafted at 58.  

May Abdel have the same kind of career...

And we know Isaiah Thomas was drafted at 60.

Last edited by steve3344 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

The case for Abdel Empty Re: The case for Abdel

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 pm

steve3344 wrote:http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/16/12205850/the-paul-pierce-in-abdel-naders-game-the-case-for-a-celtics-2016

The Celtics are thin on the wing. I expect Brown will be an excellent one , but Nader may be more ready to be a rotational player now. I remember Bob Heckler saying he couldn`t miss at the rim and couldn`t hit from anywhere else . That was a couple games in at Utah and I agreed completely at the time. He couldn`t hit the side of a barn; but he certainly picked it up after that. I`m guessing nerves were an issue.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:17 am

Not sure if this guy will get a roster spot, but he is already better than James Young in every way.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:29 am

He knows how to play.  He reminds me of Kris Humphreys except a shorter version.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:22 am

jrleftfoot wrote:
steve3344 wrote:http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/16/12205850/the-paul-pierce-in-abdel-naders-game-the-case-for-a-celtics-2016

The Celtics are thin on the wing. I expect Brown will be an excellent one , but Nader may be more ready to be a rotational player now. I remember Bob Heckler saying he couldn`t miss at the rim and couldn`t hit from anywhere else . That was a couple games in at Utah and I agreed completely at the time. He couldn`t hit the side of a barn; but he certainly picked it up after that. I`m guessing nerves were an issue.

Jr,

Yeah, in Utah he was kinda rocky for a bit, shooting 1-4 from 3, but then hit his stride in Vegas.  He was 25-52 in Vegas and 12-21 from 3 there.  That is a HUGE difference and might have earned him his spot.  They look for progress and not so much for wins in summer league and he showed more progress, from game 1 through game 8, than just about anybody else.

Nerves, in the beginning, were an issue for everybody not named Terry Rozier and yet we were 3-0 in Utah.  We get to Vegas and we go 1-4.  I realize that some of it is wanting to get a good look at players on the bubble, players like Nader, and sit players like Rozier, who had already proved himself but it still makes me wonder why the digression in the team.

James Young got sat because  

Mark Murphy
@Murf56 2 days ago
James Young (knee) didn't play, after only 7 minutes Wednesday. Coach Jamie Young on why: "I really wasn’t happy with the way he played."

Reply Retweet Like

Between Nader's surge in the Vegas league and this, I'd say he has passed James Young on the bubble.  The biggest concern I have about Nader is that he is 6'6", 230#.  He might be a tweener.  6'6" is James Young's height and is an inch or two short for today's SFs and, at 230#, might be a little slow to stay in front of today's SGs.  Either way I think he has earned an invitation to camp and have the chance to compete for a roster spot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Yeah, Bob. Nader deserves a look. He`s like the anti James Young I was one of the last holdouts thinking Young might still develop, but his lack of assertiveness is baffling. Nader, on the other hand, goes full bore and attacks the basket with ferocity.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:07 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Yeah, Bob. Nader deserves a look. He`s like the anti James Young I was one of the last holdouts thinking Young might still develop, but his lack of assertiveness is baffling. Nader, on the other hand, goes full bore and attacks the basket with ferocity.

jr,

He has a very good straight-line drive to the rim. He isn't particularly crafty about it, like Jaylen Brown appears to be, he just goes straight for it. At 230# he might have the bulk to make it work at the next level.

Every Celtic fan was hoping James Young would pan out, we want everybody on the roster to succeed, but he can't even dominate in summer league despite have more experience than just about every other player in those leagues. WTF has he been working on the past 3 years, besides his fashion sense with baby dreadlocks and now the new nose ring?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:46 pm

bob didn't you notice he was good at driving with his left hand and getting the shot swatted near the rim...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:08 pm

I do not know if Nader will ever be an NBA ball player as he has only come into my vision since being drafted very late in the second round.  Never watched him play even one second in his college career, but did see him a little bit in the summer league. Guys taken so late in the second round rarely make it, but, of course, there are exceptions such as Isaiah Thomas.

However, I would give him a roster spot ahead of James Young on our team after watching him play about 5 minutes of summer league ball.  He (Nader) may never get a spot but if James Young gets one ahead of him than I will have to totally disagree with either or both of Ainge and Stevens.  In my opinion, Nader will have to fall completely on his face during training camp so much so that he will have to regress big time to still not be miles ahead of Young.

I have mentioned before that Young either thinks that he already knows everything about being a player or that he is just too mentally challenged to learn what he doesn't know.  He is clearly a case of athletic ability carrying him from grade school ball through college ball, but that athletic ability is no longer enough!  

The entire Cs administration is trying to say nice things about Young knowing that his value (if he actually has any) will decrease with negative statements, but there is just nothing good to say about him or his progress other than developing his physical body since being drafted three drafts ago. He just "does not get it" at either end of the floor, and I have to think Stevens, his staff and the rest of his team are just about totally disgusted with Mr. Young.  Young may be the ONLY guy that Stevens and his staff have not 'reached' since arriving in Boston.  Every one of his players HAVE improved while playing for him even if some of them now have other NBA homes.

This guy just needs to go somewhere/anywhere even if Ainge needs to eat his almost two million  in salary for the 2017 season.  If there is any other trade before pre season starts in late September, he needs to be included no matter what even if a better player does not come back to us in the trade.

How about trade him for a bag of used practice balls?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:15 pm

wideclyde wrote:I do not know if Nader will ever be an NBA ball player as he has only come into my vision since being drafted very late in the second round.  Never watched him play even one second in his college career, but did see him a little bit in the summer league. Guys taken so late in the second round rarely make it, but, of course, there are exceptions such as Isaiah Thomas.

However, I would give him a roster spot ahead of James Young on our team after watching him play about 5 minutes of summer league ball.  He (Nader) may never get a spot but if James Young gets one ahead of him than I will have to totally disagree with either or both of Ainge and Stevens.  In my opinion, Nader will have to fall completely on his face during training camp so much so that he will have to regress big time to still not be miles ahead of Young.

I have mentioned before that Young either thinks that he already knows everything about being a player or that he is just too mentally challenged to learn what he doesn't know.  He is clearly a case of athletic ability carrying him from grade school ball through college ball, but that athletic ability is no longer enough!  

The entire Cs administration is trying to say nice things about Young knowing that his value (if he actually has any) will decrease with negative statements, but there is just nothing good to say about him or his progress other than developing his physical body since being drafted three drafts ago. He just "does not get it" at either end of the floor, and I have to think Stevens, his staff and the rest of his team are just about totally disgusted with Mr. Young.  Young may be the ONLY guy that Stevens and his staff have not 'reached' since arriving in Boston.  Every one of his players HAVE improved while playing for him even if some of them now have other NBA homes.

This guy just needs to go somewhere/anywhere even if Ainge needs to eat his almost two million  in salary for the 2017 season.  If there is any other trade before pre season starts in late September, he needs to be included no matter what even if a better player does not come back to us in the trade.

How about trade him for a bag of used practice balls?

We can trade him and send along some cash to cover his salary. Then he is off our books and the other team can release him without costing them anything but his cap hit.

It happens all the time.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:37 pm

gyso,

What no bag of used basketballs?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 pm

I would be very surprised if Nader makes the team.

I previously suggested that DA should cut Young to free up roster spot.

What a wasted pick.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down