Article on Philly.com Empty Article on Philly.com

Post by willjr Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:05 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/387642481.html
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Article on Philly.com Empty Re: Article on Philly.com

Post by swish Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Love to see him in Boston. Could be a great addition.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:34 am

Here is the text from the article above:

Talk of the 76ers possibly trading Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics just won’t go away.

Among the Celtics’ trade options, CSNNE.com reports, acquiring the 6-foot-11, 257-pound Okafor is the one most likely to happen.

The Sixers and Celtics were close to completing a deal on draft night. Both squads have kept the door open to get a deal done before the start of the season. And Sixers president Bryan Colangelo is eager to balance out a roster that's overloaded with post players.

However, as CSNNE.com points out, the Celtics have concerns about Okafor playing in Boston.  He was involved in two street fights there in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning.  

Article on Philly.com Red_fl10

As a result, the Celtics are unwilling to give up a lot to acquire Okafor. They have a practice of mimimizing the risk when acquiring guys who have had what they view as a character flaw.

The Sixers, meanwhile, don't want to make a trade unless they get equal value in return.

But there’s a sense that Okafor would pair well with free-agent addition Al Horford, who can play center and power forward. Okafor would add solid low-post skills to a team looking to make a deep run in the Eastern Conference. But the Celtics, according to sources, preferred Sixers center Nerlens Noel until they picked up Amir Johnson's team option earlier this month.

Noel, 22, has a similar game as defensive-minded Johnson, yet is seven years younger than the 11-year veteran.

CSNNE.com’s other reported trade scenarios for the Celtics involve acquiring Russell Westbrook from Oklahoma City or Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Sixers and Celtics were also involved in trade talks for Okafor at February’s trade deadline.

I had forgotten about the late night fight. It sounds like we want him for less due to that (and maybe other issues) while Philly wants a full return based only on his talents.

Good luck with that!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:49 am

gyso wrote:Here is the text from the article above:

Talk of the 76ers possibly trading Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics just won’t go away.

Among the Celtics’ trade options, CSNNE.com reports, acquiring the 6-foot-11, 257-pound Okafor is the one most likely to happen.

The Sixers and Celtics were close to completing a deal on draft night. Both squads have kept the door open to get a deal done before the start of the season. And Sixers president Bryan Colangelo is eager to balance out a roster that's overloaded with post players.

However, as CSNNE.com points out, the Celtics have concerns about Okafor playing in Boston.  He was involved in two street fights there in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning.  

Article on Philly.com Red_fl10

As a result, the Celtics are unwilling to give up a lot to acquire Okafor. They have a practice of mimimizing the risk when acquiring guys who have had what they view as a character flaw.

The Sixers, meanwhile, don't want to make a trade unless they get equal value in return.

But there’s a sense that Okafor would pair well with free-agent addition Al Horford, who can play center and power forward. Okafor would add solid low-post skills to a team looking to make a deep run in the Eastern Conference. But the Celtics, according to sources, preferred Sixers center Nerlens Noel until they picked up Amir Johnson's team option earlier this month.

Noel, 22, has a similar game as defensive-minded Johnson, yet is seven years younger than the 11-year veteran.

CSNNE.com’s other reported trade scenarios for the Celtics involve acquiring Russell Westbrook from Oklahoma City or Blake Griffin from the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Sixers and Celtics were also involved in trade talks for Okafor at February’s trade deadline.

I had forgotten about the late night fight.  It sounds like we want him for less due to that (and maybe other issues) while Philly wants a full return based only on his talents.  

Good luck with that!

Issues, such as you mention above, always cloud the picture - fortunately management should have enough background information on this particular problem to make a reasonably sound decision. As a 20 year old rookie his numbers compare favorably with other youthful players who were 1st team all-rookie. Check out below link.

http://bkref.com/tiny/9AHR7

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Okafor should be in a Geico commercial

"19 year old kids get in fights and drive cars fast. It's what they do..."

Yes it shows immaturity, but I'm ok with Okafor in green and know that can be worked on... IF the C's were able to get him for 75 cents to the dollar. I'd prefer Noel and am NOT giving up Nets picks for Okafor. The fans comments in this article are hilarious, all riled up about Ainge low ball offers and telling him to shove it. 

That is Danny's JOB, to get the best deal possible for this team. It isn't his fault the Sixers have too many centers and the one they want to dump is the most immature and has a game least suited for the modern NBA. Okafor was not worth the #3 pick. Sorry.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 pm

When Paul Pierce got knifed, was that a surprise attack on him or was he involved in a fight?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=100441&page=1

Paul turned out to be a spectacular player for us and is still my favorite Bromance partner. Note that he was 6'7" and 220 lbs. at age 22, much like Jaylen. Sure hopes Brown develops Paul's shooting touch and range.

For the right price I'd be very glad to get Okafor, but that means we hold onto our Nets picks and not trade Brown, Smart, Jerebko, Crowder, Bradley, or IT for him. I'm even a bit hesitant to trade Kelly for him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Ram wrote:Okafor should be in a Geico commercial

"19 year old kids get in fights and drive cars fast. It's what they do..."

Yes it shows immaturity, but I'm ok with Okafor in green and know that can be worked on... IF the C's were able to get him for 75 cents to the dollar. I'd prefer Noel and am NOT giving up Nets picks for Okafor. The fans comments in this article are hilarious, all riled up about Ainge low ball offers and telling him to shove it. 

That is Danny's JOB, to get the best deal possible for this team. It isn't his fault the Sixers have too many centers and the one they want to dump is the most immature and has a game least suited for the modern NBA. Okafor was not worth the #3 pick. Sorry.

Ram,

I guess this is all about what team you are rooting for.
Boston fans think that since Philly has too many big men right now, that they should or will trade Okafor at a discount.
Philly fans know that they are in no hurry and trading Okafor before they know if Embiid is healthy is not the right decision.
Boston fans are expecting fireworks or a major trade.
Philly will be patient and let their young guys develop.
Philly can balance their roster over the next 12-24 months.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Pierce was cocky, oggling the girls who were with those gangsters that jumped him and was always a guy known to run his mouth. On the court that was great, in the club maybe not so much. 

I didn't hold it against him.

Bird had a notoriously crooked finger he told the front office was from playing soft ball but insiders knew it was really from a bar fight. He used to get shitty with Rick Robey and stay out until 4am the night before games. It wasn't until Robey was traded for DJ that Bird really took the next step from all-NBA to MVP.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:03 pm

I forgot to put Rozier on the Do Not Trade list.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:11 pm

It almost seems like a no brainer to me. This kid is a talented player. He was 19 years old when all of this took place. Like Worcester said, look at Paul Pierce. Given the right situation, this kid could flourish here. Young, talented players around him, with a couple of wiley Veterans. Who we give up is my only concern, I am getting very attached to the young guys on this team. I know one or more will go in some trade or another, it is only a matter of who.

Note to Gyso: I love that we will have no ads to deal with this coming year! You (and who ever else) have done a great job here.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Yes, thanks to Pete, Gyso, NYCelt, and Bob for turning this into a tech friendly site.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:42 pm

worcester wrote:Yes, thanks to Pete, Gyso, NYCelt, and Bob for turning this into a tech friendly site.

Worcester etal,

I have nothing to do with the technical side.  I'm just a cut-and-paster. All that stuff is handled by gyso, NYCelt and Pete (and maybe 112288).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Well praise Ja and them! And you're pretty good with the Elmer's Glue Bob.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Yes my friend Bob, what would we do without you? You keep pushing us to think and at my age that is a big push!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, but I do appreciate all that you all do. Pete knows how I feel already and Gyso. Now I will take the time to thank NYCelt and 112288, and anyone else involved. A place to call our own. My Celtic home!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 am

UPDATE:  7/22/16

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Okafor-to-Boston-not-a-good-deal-for-Sixers.html

Okafor to Boston not a good deal for Sixers

Updated: JULY 22, 2016 — 7:13 AM EDT

Article on Philly.com 021016_okafor-kings_1200
Camera icon (YONG KIM/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)
Jahlil Okafor loses the ball against Kings' DeMarcus Cousins.

by Keith Pompey, STAFF WRITER  @PompeyOnSixers

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

Word out of Boston is that the Celtics will not give up much for the 6-foot-11, 257-pounder.

They have concerns about his playing in the city after being involved in two street fights there in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning. Nor do they like the fact that the center saw a gun pointed at his head in Old City and that he was stopped for going 108 mph over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

The Celtics have a practice of minimizing the risk when acquiring guys who have had what they view as a character flaw.

Former St. Joseph’s standout Delonte West is a prime example. A source said that general manager Danny Ainge loved West. However, Ainge only gave him a minimum  deal even though talent-wise West was deserving of  mid-level exception money.

And he’s just one example.

So the Celtics probably won’t offer anyone or anything the Sixers would perceive as equal value for Okafor. At least they won’t at this time.

Acquiring Okafor is not a high priority for Boston at the moment. No one is doubting that they like him.  However, they’re just not prepared to give up a lot to get him.

Meanwhile, the Sixers are determined to receive equal value in any trade.

That might be tough to get when the league knows you need to dump at least one of your bigs to balance out the roster.

But at the same time, you can’t afford to make a deal just for the sake of making one.  That’s exactly what the Sixers would be doing unless the Celtics change their minds.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:49 am

bobheckler wrote:UPDATE:  7/22/16

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Okafor-to-Boston-not-a-good-deal-for-Sixers.html

It doesn’t make sense to trade Jahlil Okafor to the Boston Celtics unless the 76ers' only goal is to dump one of their bigs at any cost.

That’s basically all they would be doing by trading him to their Eastern Conference foe.

Word out of Boston is that the Celtics will not give up much for the 6-foot-11, 257-pounder.

They have concerns about his playing in the city after being involved in two street fights there in the early hours of Thanksgiving morning. Nor do they like the fact that the center saw a gun pointed at his head in Old City and that he was stopped for going 108 mph over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

The Celtics have a practice of minimizing the risk when acquiring guys who have had what they view as a character flaw.

Former St. Joseph’s standout Delonte West is a prime example. A source said that general manager Danny Ainge loved West. However, Ainge only gave him a minimum  deal even though talent-wise West was deserving of  mid-level exception money.

So the Celtics probably won’t offer anyone or anything the Sixers would perceive as equal value for Okafor. At least they won’t at this time.

Acquiring Okafor is not a high priority for Boston at the moment. No one is doubting that they like him.  However, they’re just not prepared to give up a lot to get him.

That might be tough to get when the league knows you need to dump at least one of your bigs to balance out the roster.

But at the same time, you can’t afford to make a deal just for the sake of making one.  That’s exactly what the Sixers would be doing unless the Celtics change their minds.

bob

Here's a little more info on Okafors educational background.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/seltzers-notebook-okafor-gives-positive-update-duke/

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 am

swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:UPDATE:  7/22/16

bob

Here's a little more info on Okafors educational background.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/seltzers-notebook-okafor-gives-positive-update-duke/

swish

swish,

Well, that is certainly promising. When your mother-figure has a PHD and his father has a Masters and they are saying "you have to have some kind of a degree to call yourself an Okafor", what's not to like about that? I come from a family of teachers, both with multiple advanced degrees, and they pretty much told me the same thing. Danny's playing "Mr. Cool Cucumber". That's ok too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:48 pm

I am guessing that Ainge is waiting for Philly to get real and lower their asking price for one of the two - Okafor or Noel.

Philly has, in my opinion, stupidly mentioned that they have to trade off one of these two guys because: 1) they cannot play together on the court due to their similar skill sets, 2) need more playing time for Embiid since he appears to be finally healthy enough to play. I really wonder why a team would make such an admission even if both thoughts have been running around the league for months. This type of stuff only hurts their ability to get as much as possible back in any trade for either guy, and is why no one has heard Ainge say even one bad thing about James Young even though he probably has a long list of reasons why he would like to move Young.

Certainly, the 'ers would love to get one of the Nets number one picks, but they know that is not going to happen unless they want to add Saric into the deal with Okafor. They will have to settle of one of the Cs own picks or perhaps some of the other #1 picks that Ainge has from other teams that are likely to be mid first round picks. The above mentioned James Young could be added into the trade to Philly along with a couple of draft picks.

Of course, the 'ers could trade one of their young centers to one of the other 28 teams as well to eliminate their problem of finding minutes for too many centers.

What do you think of Okafor and Saric for the Nets 2018 first, Bostons first in 2017 and Young and perhaps a second round pick.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Too generous. We can win with a patient slow rebuild.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't think Danny will give them that pick.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:04 pm

[quote="Ram"]Pierce was cocky, oggling the girls who were with those gangsters that jumped him and was always a guy known to run his mouth. On the court that was great, in the club maybe not so much. 

I didn't hold it against him.

Bird had a notoriously crooked finger he told the front office was from playing soft ball but insiders knew it was really from a bar fight. He used to get shitty with Rick Robey and stay out until 4am the night before games. It wasn't until Robey was traded for DJ that Bird really took the next step from all-NBA to MVP.[/quote

I believe the problem with his finger happened before he was with the Celtics.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:14 pm

What is Okafor worth ?
What is the Nets pick next year worth ?

There is an NBA track record for Okafor who had an outstanding offensive season as a 20 year old rookie.  I can personally verify that, by simply looking at his stats and viewing film of his clashes against other nba centers like Drummond, Cousins and Towns.

On the other hand, who ever is selected with the Nets pick will be chosen on the basis of projected potential - and that in my opinion is strictly a judgment call for the scouting staffs for each team. Certainly nothing that I have any expertise in.

I don't have a clue as to how next years top prospects compare with Okafor and as a result can not possibly offer an opinion as to fair trading value to get him. For me the big question is - how much is too much if you believe that the acquisition can make a team a serious contender for a ring. I'm confident that Danny, sooner or later, will make the moves to put the Celts over the top.

swish

Last edited by swish on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Wideclyde,

The Celtics probably don't keep their first round pick in 2017. The Celtics can trade theirs for the Nets pick, but they cannot keep both.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:08 pm

Swish,

Great questions trying to compare the value of Okafor versus the value of the Nets 2017 pick.  I think that there are some factors to be considered before we can even venture a guess on which is more valuable.

My first consideration is the Okafor is going to be a good NBA player, but not likely to be the big time franchise changing guy.  He will complement his team with his current skills and also will improve his weaker areas as he is still only 20 years old.  However, he does not quite fit in to today's wider, pace and space offense and is not the ultimate athlete to completely build your team around.

Second, is to guesstimate where the Nets pick in 2017 will fall.  Right now, although not officially taking the tanking road followed so recently by the 'ers, the Nets pick (before ping pong balls) would look to be very high again in both of the next two years.  Could be the number one pick even as their roster, right now at least, does not look very good at all.

This means that there could very well be the next star player available at the top of next year's draft (and, maybe even at the very top of the 2018 draft as well).  Having Brown, and the two first round Nets picks could mean a very long term Celtics run for future banners while Okafor will likely remain the good, complementary player.

It is my belief that for the long term good of the Cs that I would most definitely take the gamble on the Nets 2017 pick as being much more valuable than Okafor will be over the next 4-5 years.  And, this is not meant to criticize Okafor as I would still trade for him, but just not for one of the Nets picks.

If Dario Saric were to be included with Okafor, I could see one of the Nets picks heading to Philly as Saric and Okafor together would more quickly contribute to banner #18 and perhaps #19 much sooner than the 2017 Nets pick.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 am

wideclyde wrote:Swish,

Great questions trying to compare the value of Okafor versus the value of the Nets 2017 pick.  I think that there are some factors to be considered before we can even venture a guess on which is more valuable.

My first consideration is the Okafor is going to be a good NBA player, but not likely to be the big time franchise changing guy.  He will complement his team with his current skills and also will improve his weaker areas as he is still only 20 years old.  However, he does not quite fit in to today's wider, pace and space offense and is not the ultimate athlete to completely build your team around.

Second, is to guesstimate where the Nets pick in 2017 will fall.  Right now, although not officially taking the tanking road followed so recently by the 'ers, the Nets pick (before ping pong balls) would look to be very high again in both of the next two years.  Could be the number one pick even as their roster, right now at least, does not look very good at all.

This means that there could very well be the next star player available at the top of next year's draft (and, maybe even at the very top of the 2018 draft as well).  Having Brown, and the two first round Nets picks could mean a very long term Celtics run for future banners while Okafor will likely remain the good, complementary player.

It is my belief that for the long term good of the Cs that I would most definitely take the gamble on the Nets 2017 pick as being much more valuable than Okafor will be over the next 4-5 years.  And, this is not meant to criticize Okafor as I would still trade for him, but just not for one of the Nets picks.

If Dario Saric were to be included with Okafor, I could see one of the Nets picks heading to Philly as Saric and Okafor together would more quickly contribute to banner #18 and perhaps #19 much sooner than the 2017 Nets pick.

Interesting response wideclyde. While you place greater value on the Nets pick I'm tempted to place greater value on the 1 year record in the pros of Okafor versus the potential of an unknown future draft pick. But like I said earlier - I'm clueless as to just what the potential value might be of the  potential high picks in next years draft. Perhaps a trade will take place involving Okafor and then We'll know at least how 2 General Managers feel about equal trade value. Or perhaps, with no must trade urgency for either team, both team will stand pat right now.  Time will tell.

swish

Last edited by swish on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next