Brandon$$
willjr
swedeinestonia
gyso
9 posters

Go down

LeBron James just doesn't get it Empty LeBron James just doesn't get it

Post by gyso Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 am

USA failed to win a medal at the 2002 World Championships, finishing sixth. The 2004 Summer Olympic team lost three games on its way to a bronze medal, a record that represented more losses in a single year than the country's Olympic teams had suffered in all previous Olympiads combined.

Determined to put an end to these failures, USA Basketball initiated a long-term project aimed at creating better, more cohesive teams. The USA won its first seven games at the 2006 World Championships in Japan before losing against Greece in the semi-finals, ending the competition with the bronze medal. The USA won gold two years later, though, at the 2008 Summer Olympics with a dominant performance.

The USA Basketball committee had decided that, in order to improve team play and tournament success, any player that wanted to participate in the Olympics had to commit to USA Basketball for the three years preceding the Olympics.

The change in philosophy seems to have worked.

Now it appears that LeBron James has forgotten yet another history lesson. Now he thinks that past participation is all that should be required to continue his spot on the roster for the grand stage, the Olympics. He will be much too busy this summer, the LeBron James 2010 self-promotion tour and all, to commit to the 2010 World Championships.

USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo responded by telling Yahoo! Sports there will be no “free passes” to the 2012 London Olympics. Any player who skips prior USA Basketball commitments “without a legit issue, they do it with an understanding of the risk,”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhVDK.Wb1zWDxMswoCFlexO8vLYF?slug=mc-lebronworlds040410

In other words, if you cannot commit to the success of the team, you are off the team. No exceptions and no hard feelings, but the old way did not work. The new rules of participation are key to USA Basketball success. You cannot just show up and play.

The reimergence of USA Basketball dominance was not an accident and for it to continue, you have to get on board and stay on board.

Here is something from the Cleveland papers:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/04/lebron_james_says_he_doesnt_re.html

Last week, James said he was likely going to skip the FIBA World Championships this summer in Turkey because of other business interests. One is free agency but the other, and more likely reason, is James is scheduled to film his first feature film.

Apparently, he wants to be in movies.

James says:

"Everyone in the United States of America understands the commitment these guys have made, including myself, since 2003,” James said Sunday. “I’m not trying to bash Jerry because he’s a good guy and I really respect him. But if he came out and said that, I don’t respect that because of the commitment we’ve given to the United States with a three-year commitment off the bat. We didn’t second-guess it at all. So if we are jeopardizing the opportunity to be on the team in London, I mean, what can we do? What can we do?”

Um...what you can do is play by the rules set forth by USA Basketball, just like any other player. If you want to represent the USA, commit to the program. If not, go about your way. And please, no crying in public.

gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

LeBron James just doesn't get it Empty Re: LeBron James just doesn't get it

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:28 am

I heard Rondo had been asked about being on the USA team.

That would be cool, he would probably fit in well and make for some good distribution of the ball amongst all the stars Very Happy

Lebron is Lebron...

If basketball/Team USA would be his top priority he would schedule his "other" business around it rather than think the team is going to make exceptions/adjustments to his schedule.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 am

I've said both on this site and in conversation that I am a celtic fan not an nba fan, reason being the attitudes of some of the league poster boys (two in particular) and the way Premier Stern rules his fiefdom. Lebron is without a doubt a great talent but like many of his generation he seems to not be able to grasp the fact that it is not all about him. His front running ways, petulant manner, outsized ego and general self idolization has really turned me off. His immature actions, not just yesterday but whenever the cavs are losing, should be called out to him by someone. We know the cavs organization or the politburo, i.e. nba offices won't do it but someone should. Think about the following as it relates to the "chosen one", he grew up in Ohio, his favorite football team is the Cowboys, what nfl team was on top during most of the 90's Lebron's formative years, his favorite baseball team-the yankees, basketball team-the bulls, both 90's era champs. The 3 teams that he chose to root for are all miles away from where he grew up and all were at the top of their leagues. Maybe thats just coincidental or maybe that says something about the inner man. I know it may be a bit of a stretch but I've always found it interesting when guys favorite teams happen to be the most dominant or (over)exposed, especially if there is no geographical bond in play.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 am

Did anyone else catch this during the game yesterday?

Kendrick Perkins misses both free throws which could have extended the game to a 5 point lead for the Celtics. Instead their up by 3 still. After the second free throw miss by Perkins; LeBron grabs the board, rushes down the court, and jacks up a 3 to try and get the 1 point lead with a couple seconds left,

HOWEVER Antawn Jamison was open in the lane for what could of been most likely a game tying layup.

LeBron tried to be the hero when he could have made a simple play that could of changed the outcome of the game.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 pm

BrandonBanks$$$ wrote:Did anyone else catch this during the game yesterday?

Kendrick Perkins misses both free throws which could have extended the game to a 5 point lead for the Celtics. Instead their up by 3 still. After the second free throw miss by Perkins; LeBron grabs the board, rushes down the court, and jacks up a 3 to try and get the 1 point lead with a couple seconds left,

HOWEVER Antawn Jamison was open in the lane for what could of been most likely a game tying layup.

LeBron tried to be the hero when he could have made a simple play that could of changed the outcome of the game.

i know i missed spotting the open Jamison (and how on earth did you see it - in the flow of the game or on replay?) ... thanks for spotting that. now that 3 point miss looks more than ever like a hero-baller's move.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Much as I dont like Lebron and his selfish, golden child act - Team USA would be CRAZY if they didnt bring him back for the next Olympics.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Kleen

That is the exact kind of coddling that has turned him into a disease of me baby he currently is. I respect the hell out of any rules that are actually enforced.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:14 pm

bigpygme wrote:
i know i missed spotting the open Jamison (and how on earth did you see it - in the flow of the game or on replay?) ... thanks for spotting that. now that 3 point miss looks more than ever like a hero-baller's move.

Michael

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
Brian Windhorst: LeBron no regrets about taking 3, said he wanted to win. Also, said he saw Jamison had rebouding position. Twitter.com

After I read that, I went & watched the highlights of the game and saw that yes, Jamison had rebounding position, but he also had a good clean wide open look for a layup too.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

DIDN'T YOU LIKE THE POSE HE WAS IN WHEN HE TOOK THE SHOT?????
HE WAS HOPING THAT THE PICTURE WOULD MAKE NATIONAL NEWS! TAKE A LOOK AT IT AGAIN. God, he may be great, but I can't stand him, it is all about HIM>
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Jamison was about 4 feet from the basket when LeBron shot his 25+ foot shot. If he missed, the odds are that it would be a long rebound, away from the basket.
We all know LeBron was trying to be a hero and not thinking about Jamison being in good rebound position.
I am glad Boston gave him some humble pie and stood up to him on the court.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

tj

The Cavs are going to have to SHOW me. I am not anywhere near convinced. Orlando can beat them and so can we if we play 4 quarters. I think out west there are a host of teams that can beat them.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:38 pm

jeb65 wrote:tj

The Cavs are going to have to SHOW me. I am not anywhere near convinced. Orlando can beat them and so can we if we play 4 quarters. I think out west there are a host of teams that can beat them.

jeb,

I agree with you 100%. If they play in the Eastern Conf. finals, I think Orlando will beat Cleveland. LeBron has to have a monster game every night in order for them to win.
Orlando has many more offensive options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 am

Jerry Colangello back tracked from his earlier comments about LeBron and other Team USA players:

Speaking to Sun Media Monday, Colangelo clarified his statement which raised the ire of James.

"We appreciate the fact they're willing to give their time. We have to be flexible," Colangelo said. "Some players may have to miss for whatever the reason may be -- contracts, injuries, family issues ... free agency this year is big."

"The point I made regarding London is, we will give credit for all the equity people have put into it," Colangelo added. "Chris Bosh has equity, so does Dwyane Wade, so does LeBron. Things happen. We just have to be flexible."

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

Colangelo didn't have the onions to stick to the intent of his initial remarks. Some PR person probably put a different spin on these comments for damage control!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm

and the baby's get coddled again. and they never ever get told by anybody or anything when they are full of shit or wrong and the money train rolls
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

I am sure Colangelo knows that he is much easier to replace then LeBron, Wade or Bosh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down