Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No

3 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No  Empty Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No

Post by gyso Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:38 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2016/09/sq2016-stars-mostly-just-say-no.html

Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No  Lee_la10

As I watched small portions of the Olympics' men's basketball, it struck me that I wasn't at all eager for my Boston Celtics to acquire most of these stars. I seemed in stark contrast to the fans' and media's repeated calls for Danny to get a star, land the whale, make the fireworks happen! I then broadened my search to include all the All-Stars (a game I seldom watch any of) from this past season. Lo and behold, still don't want most of them.  

Now I consider myself more discerning, or at least harder to satisfy, than most because of my familiarity with the teams of Red and Russell, teams coached by Heinsohn in the 70's, the magical rebirth with the Big Three in the 80's, and Doc's Ubuntu team. These squads were not without talent, each era boasting a number of all-time greats; but their calling card was team play and unselfish passing. It set the bar for my appreciation and flavored my basketball tastes for the rest of my life. I see the same team-first culture emerging with Brad Stevens' Celtics.  

Too often these stars of the modern NBA just aren't my kinda guys. In fact one of my more pleasant pasttimes has been to put together imaginary teams of Celtics-type players who never played for Boston. Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Joe Dumars, in recent decades for instance. In each instance, play was typified by smart offense and defense, court awareness, and unselfish play. I'll present this past years star-lists and then offer some of my observations. As you read through try to place each player in a definite yes, lukewarm, or definite no category.

Full 2016 USA Men’s Olympic Basketball Roster

G Jimmy Butler

G Kyle Lowry

G DeMar DeRozan

G Kyrie Irving

G Klay Thompson

F Kevin Durant

F Paul George

F Draymond Green

F Carmelo Anthony

F Harrison Barnes

C DeAndre Jordan

C DeMarcus Cousins

2016 All-Stars

EASTERN CONFERENCE

STARTERS: Kyle Lowry, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Paul George, Carmelo Anthony

RESERVES: John Wall, Jimmy Butler (replaced by Pau Gasol), Andre Drummond, Paul Millsap, Chris Bosh, Isaiah Thomas, DeMar DeRozan

WESTERN CONFERENCE

STARTERS: Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard

RESERVES: Chris Paul, James Harden, Draymond Green, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, LaMarcus Aldridge, Klay Thompson

Regardless from which group you work, I find only a half dozen or less really appeal to me. As for my rejects, sometimes it is the ME factor, sometimes it is the locker room cancer factor, some has-beens getting voted into the All-Star game on performances past, and there are a few jerk qualifiers.

No, please no!

Wade, James, Carmelo, Bosh, DeRozan, Kobe, Harden

Yes, please and thank you.

Butler, Lowery, Thompson, George, Curry, Leonard, Davis  

The rest I have largish reservations about. Durant because of his curious choice this summer. Green because I just can't tolerate a dirty player and three strikes of the ball(s) and you are out. Cousins, well you know, the huge catastrophe potential. I should feel more positive about Chris Paul, Drummond, and Millsap but they just don't excite me. As for Westbrook, Wall, and Butler, they are all skilled players but just a little to egocentric for me to lust for them to wear the green.

These Boston Celtics of Danny and Brad are joined only by San Antonio as teams where the total is far more than the sum of the parts. I am very reticent to add pieces that would threaten this synergistic phenomenon. That is another reason that I am so thrilled with the additions Ainge made this off-season. Al Horford seems to me to be the absolutely perfect ingredient to add. I believe his presence will make every player around him better. I also feel like his enabling effect will grease the machine, making the ball flow and providing a wonderful lead-by-example for an assemblage of players that seem willing enough to pass but lack the confidence and polish to make that a major weapon, at least so far.  

The Celtics desperately need to improve their shooting percentage. Part of shooting better is to have a better shot selection. This requires both intelligent decision-making and better opportunities. A better passing game is a big part of the solution for the opportunities side of the equation. I guess this occurred to me as I considered why I felt so negative, or at least blase, about these luminaries of the modern NBA. Too many are all about the mano-a-mano game where degree of difficulty of a shot is a positive quality. What I have always loved about the Celtics is their delight in making layups off the break, or backdoor, or late rotation; wherein they won by making more easy shots than their opponents could sink ESPN highlights. For those of you who prefer double-pump rainbows over three defenders, I can appreciate the individual skill but just prefer the magic of passing up a good shot for an even better one. For me the magic is in the team interaction more than in the individual duel. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and preferences, but I hope you can also find delight in your boys in green overwhelming the defense with ball and player movement.

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No  Empty Re: Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No

Post by swish Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Style and makeup of a team has never meant much to me - but being good enough to be a serious contender for a ring - now that's what puts a smile on my face. Just win baby.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No  Empty Re: Summer Quandaries 9 - 2016 Stars? Mostly Just Say No

Post by Ram Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 am

DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George both become free agents summer of 2018 (assuming George opts out of an option). I think both players will be targets of Ainge. George is a no-brainer, he'd be perfect in green playing a hybrid-forward role along with Crowder. Cousins is a bit trickier to see fitting in terms of his rumored surly personality. But he's not a young punk anymore, he acted pretty mature and respectful in his Olympic stint according to most and might just excel in a new winning environment. 

Ainge will likely have to let Olynyk walk this next summer, rather than match an offer that gives him Evan Turner type money (4 yrs 70 mil). He also will probably have to let one of Bradley and Thomas leave. The cap holds for both of them will take up too much space to sign two max guys the summer they are also both FA's. 

But this lineup 2018-19 and for the years after would be pretty terrifying:

C - Cousins, Zizic
PF - Al Horford, Yabusele and/or top 3 pick from 2017
SF - Paul George, Jae Crowder
SG - Smart, top 10 pick from 2018
PG - Thomas, Rozier
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down