SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!!

+4
Pumpsie Green
gyso
bobheckler
Sam
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!! Empty SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!!

Post by Sam Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm

This is the official announcement and the official thread concerning the Sam's Celtics Forum San Francisco Party to be held on Saturday, April 24, 2010.

• Due to the fact that the playoff schedule will not be known until shortly before they playoffs start, and the fact that some people might like to watch the game together if a Celtics playoff game is held on that day or evening, many details of the party will be announced closer to the time of the party. However, the party will definitely be held on Saturday, April 24 in the City of San Francisco.

• The one definite element of the party will be a two-hour social period to be held 4:30-6:30 pm at a sports bar to be announced shortly. (I'm looking for volunteers to help select a suitable sports bar. Please get in touch with me by private mail or via email: SlipSamCelt@aol.com)

• That timing should give us the flexibility to expand the party to either an earlier start or a later finish, depending on playoff schedling. But, above all, please try to make the 4:00-6:00 portion of the party so we'll all have time for socializing.

• Everybody is on his or her own as far as travel and accommodations. My wife and I will be staying at the Comfort Inn by the Bay; 2775 Van Ness Avenue; SFO 94109; Tel. 415-928-5000. We find it centrally located, clean, and a good value for SFO (currently offering a nightly rate of $109 plus tax on):

http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/enUS/html/RoomAvailability?hotel=CA004&sid=3FQD.Jw75hgVCui.8&sarea=&sname=&slon=&slat=&schain=&scountry=&sstate=&type=&sradius=&sstate_country=&dateFormat=&arrivalDate=04/23/10&departureDate=04/25/10&scity=&srp=RACK&nroom=1&nadult1=2&nchild1=0&nadult2=&nchild2=&nadult3=&nchild3=&nadult4=&nchild4=&nadult5=&nchild5=

They have a garage under the hotel for which they charge $26 a night.

Individuals may wish to make their own arrangements for meeting other board members privately in addition to attending the party. My wife and I will be arriving in SFO on the afternoon of the previous Wednesday, April 21. We’ll be having a very early breakfast at the Cliff House the day after the party and will then be leaving to drive up to Oregon for a little visit with my all-time role model, Bobby Doerr of the Red Sox (currently the oldest living player in the Baseball Hall of Fame).

• There will be no charge for the party, except the direct expenses of what people choose to eat or drink.

So come one, come all. If you may be there, please list your board name on this thread with the word “definite” or “possible” to estimate the probable attendance for the place where we’ll be having the social hour. And be on the alert for possible short-notice "add-ons" as we learn more about the playoff timing.

I look forward to the possibility of meeting a bunch of good Celtics fans.

Please feel to email me privately (SlipSamCelt@aol.com) or via private message on the board if you have any comments, questions or suggestions.

Best regards,

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!! Empty Re: SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!!

Post by Sam Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:17 am

Just want to bump this notification of the Celtics part in San Francisco on Saturday, April 24. Details will depend on the playoff schedule, but please keep at least 4:30-6:30 available for a social gathering at a place to be announced soon. (Bob Heckler is working on that.)

I'll be away between then and now but will have my laptop with me and will be monitoring the board, checking emails, etc. And I look forward to meeting as many hearty souls as possible in Baghdad by the Bay.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!! Empty Re: SAN FRANCISCO PARTY APRIL 24...COME ONE, COME ALL!!!

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Sam wrote:Just want to bump this notification of the Celtics part in San Francisco on Saturday, April 24. Details will depend on the playoff schedule, but please keep at least 4:30-6:30 available for a social gathering at a place to be announced soon. (Bob Heckler is working on that.)

I'll be away between then and now but will have my laptop with me and will be monitoring the board, checking emails, etc. And I look forward to meeting as many hearty souls as possible in Baghdad by the Bay.

Sam

Oooh. Da pressure's on.

It's raining cougars and mastiffs out here today. I'll scout three likely suspects on Tuesday or Wednesday, our first clear days forecasted.

Anybody who knows a good place and wants to name it, I'll definitely include it in my rounds.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks, Bob.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 am

It's Miami. Down at the bottom, there is the schedule. It looks like there is a game on the 23rd (Fri) and on the 25th (Sun), but no game on the 24th.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2010/4/14/1423202/its-miami?ref=yahoo

Perhaps some of the early arrivers can watch the game late Friday afternoon. It has a 7:00PM start time, which translates to 4:00 PM on the left coast.

I won't be there, but hoist up a few for me.

Go Celtics, beat the Heat!!!

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

The playoff schedule doesn't coincide well with the San Francisco Party. Maybe some people will join me to watch the Friday (April 23) 4:00 game at a sports bar to be announced on Thursday, April 22 (after I'm settled in SFO). And everyone's cordially invited to the official social gettogether and and/or dinner afterward beginning at 4:30 on Saturday, April 24. The places for those two events will be announced shortly. Sorry for the last-minute info on places, but at least the times are now official, and the events will all be in the City of San Francisco.

We'll update everyone as soon as possible.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 pm

I went to San Francisco yesterday afternoon. The weather was beautiful. 60 degrees and clear as a bell. As I drove over the top of Russian Hill to check out the Red Jack Saloon, the bay was laid out in front of me. I never get tired of that view.

I went to 3 places: Lefty O'Doul's, The Greens and the Red Jack Saloon.

Lefty O'Doul's is a big place, probably close to 5000sf. LOTSA TVs. There is food, served "cafeteria style" (i.e. you grab a tray and walk down the line and the cooks make your food and put it on your plate right in front of you). It's 1/2 block outside of Union Square, which is the home of Sax Fifth Avenue, Anne Taylor Loft, Shreve, Neiman Marcus and Tiffanys (Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!). It's downtown. Not a neighborhood feel, if you know what I mean. We can reserve tables if we call a day or two in advance.
http://www.leftyodouls.biz/index.html
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.787158&lon=-122.408785&zoom=15&q1=333%20geary%2C%20san%20francisco%2C%20ca

The Greens and the Red Jack Saloon are similar. They're both neighborhood bars. No kitchens, but you can bring food in (or order take-out and have it delivered there). The Greens is in a neighborhood known as "Upper Polk". Nice neighborhood, nice shops. The Red Jack Saloon is at the foot of Telegraph Hill, about 1/2 mile from Fisherman's Wharf. Seating at the Red Jack is first-come-first served. We could probably negotiate a table at The Greens with no problem.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.797426&lon=-122.42214&zoom=15&q1=2239%20polk%2C%20san%20francisco%2C%20ca&gid1=21351042
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.805987&lon=-122.409604&zoom=15&q1=131%20bay%2C%20san%20francisco%2C%20ca&gid1=21375192

I took pictures of The Greens and Red Jack. I will post them probably tomorrow (I forgot my card reader, if I can get hold of one today, I'll post them today). The wooden wall at the rear of the Red Jack is painted like The Green Monster at Fenway. The bartender at Red Jack's was wearing a Dodger uniform, but it was Koufax, not Ramirez. I was not able to take pictures of Lefty's because my car was illegally parked and I could only run through and do a quick eyeball. Fortunately, the manager was standng right there, so I could ask him about reservations. That's the downside of Union Square. No parking, except in the garage, and the parking meter maids are as rife as mosquitoes in a swamp.

Other than parking, I'd probably recommend Lefty's. Lotsa tables, they'll set one or two aside for us (so our timing on arrival can be a little more relaxed) and the food's right there. Not a place I'd normally "hang" at, I'm more of a neighborhood bar type, but it would suit the needs of this occasion (especially since spouses will be attending).

People refer to the "Seven Hills of San Francisco", a nod to the Seven Hills of Rome. Can you name them? There are, in fact, 43 hills in San Francisco, although the majority of them are lesser hills.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Post-post note:

We could, of course, meet up at The Greens or the Red Jack, watch the game, and then go to Fisherman's Wharf or to a restaurant on Polk or somewhere else. Not as convenient as having the food right there, like at Lefty O'Doul's, but then you get to see Fisherman's Wharf and other neighborhoods in SF. There is just SO much to see in San Francisco.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Bob, how about this?

4:00 Friday, April 23: Anyone who wants to can join me at Lefty O'Doul's to watch the Celtics-Heat playoff game. (Even if I do a solo, I'll have a good time.)

4:30 Saturday, April 24: Official party starts with an informal gettogether at Red Jack (closer than Green's to Fisherman's Wharf), and those who want to move on to dinner someplace on the Wharf. I don't know if there's a place you favor, but I'm wondering if some place like Alioto's would be appropriate.

I'm not at all married to this and will certainly defer to your local knowledge.

Thanks for doing the groundwork.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Sam wrote:Bob, how about this?

4:00 Friday, April 23: Anyone who wants to can join me at Lefty O'Doul's to watch the Celtics-Heat playoff game. (Even if I do a solo, I'll have a good time.)

4:30 Saturday, April 24: Official party starts with an informal gettogether at Red Jack (closer than Green's to Fisherman's Wharf), and those who want to move on to dinner someplace on the Wharf. I don't know if there's a place you favor, but I'm wondering if some place like Alioto's would be appropriate.

I'm not at all married to this and will certainly defer to your local knowledge.

Sam

sam,

I'm up for anything and everything (any excuse to spend time in the city).

There are sooo many places to eat, especially on the wharf, Alioto's is just one. I've never been to Alioto's, so it might be fun for me (as I've said, I'm more of a neighborhood/hidden gem type of guy. Alioto's is HUGE and famous and busy). So, I'd be up for that, it'll be different for me.

Anybody who is interested/planning on coming can let me know what their preferences are, and I'll try to come up with suggestions. This wouldn't preclude us from joining Sam for the above itinerary, it would just fill your head with ideas for when Sam is off reconnecting with his favorite haunts from trips gone by.

My suggestions, in general, for a trip to SF for someone who has never been there before:
1. Alcatraz (rent the audio tape); make reservations, you'll need them, but it's worth it.
2. The Palace of Fine Arts - one of my favorite spots in SF. Built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition, it makes you feel like you're in ancient Greece. Google this for images. This is in the Marina district, which is also fun to walk.
3. North Beach - SF's Little Italy and an entertainment area.
4. Little Paris - for those of you who like/want french food and that flavor. All within 2-3 blocks.
5. Chinatown - the second densest concentration of asians in the US after Chinatown NY
6. The Golden Gate Bridge - Walk across it on a clear day.
7. Sausalito - on the other side of the Golden Gate in Marin. On a clear day, the sunset over SF is breathtaking from the water.
8. Top of the Mark - the top floor of the Mark Hopkins Hotel, which is at the top of Nob Hill, is a rotating bar/restaurant that will eventually give you a 360 degree view of the city. A block away from the Mark Hopkins is Grace Cathedral. It doesn't matter if you're religious or not, Grace Cathedral is quite a sight. Grace Cathedral has two labyrinths, one outside and one inside. The inside one can be walked during normal hours.

There are just soooo many little neighborhoods that are interesting and welcoming I could go on for a long, long time, but since most of you will only becoming for a 2-4 day weekend, this should keep you more than busy. I've barely scratched the surface by not going into the Mission District, Golden Gate Park, Embarcadero, Noe Valley, Twin Peaks, Haight-Ashbury, and-on-and-on.

Once again, anybody with specific interests (museums, galleries, churches, etc), let me know and we can communicate off-board.

I grew up in NY, lived in Boston for 15 years. I love and appreciate both those places for what they bring to the table, but I live in San Francisco by choice. I've traveled to many cities around the country and the world over the course of my life and I choose to live in the San Francisco bay area. It is gorgeous here.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Anyone who has wheels and is a real earlybird is welcome to follow my wife and myself on our single favorite SFO excursion Sunday morning. Down Presidio Avenue (not the larger Presidio Blvd.)...through the gate of the former military reservation...winding through the eucalyptus trees with all windows wide open to catch the fragrance (even more pungent if it's been wet overnight)...through the Presidio...first view of the GG Bridge (which opened the day I was born)...onto the beginning of the 49-mile scenic drive (we'll do just a couple of miles of it)...exit at the small sign saying "Fort Point" and arrive virtually under the GG Bridge at the spot where Jimmy Stewart rescued Kim Novak from drowning in "Vertigo" AND where the poster known as Baby Sky Hook surfed FROM the Pacific Ocean, UNDER the GG Bridge, and INTO San Francisco Bay (beautiful view of Alcatraz and the City from water level by the way)...back to the scenic drive...past the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum...and a very short way down the coast to the venerable Cliff House for Sunday breakfast at the bistro and (if we're there at the right time) watch the sea lions play on and around Seal Rocks. But we have to be there by 10:00 am to avoid the rush (reservations not accepted) for the 10:30 opening; so my wife and I will probably leave our hotel (Comfort Inn; 2775 Van Ness) not later than 9:00 am. We'll be leaving directly from the Cliff House for our drive up the coast to Oregon.

By the way, I'm an Alcatraz-phyle, and I heartily second Bob Heckler's suggestion to take the tour. From the moment you get on the boat, you can start imagining what it must have been like to be a convict who was basically being sentenced to obscurity on "The Rock." Take the interior tour, and also hear the story of the 1946 Seige of Alcatraz, which was hailed as the first successful Native American rebellion. If you're there at the right time of year, you may see wildflowers growing on the island, which is my favorite thing about it...the paradox of beauty meeting ugliness across the Bay from Baghdad by the Bay.

Man, are we excited about being in San Francisco again. I hope to see as many as possible. Final details will be forthcoming shortly, but so far:

Friday, April 23 (4:00): I'll be watching the Celtics-Heat playoff game at Lefty O'Doul's Bar; 333 Geary Street; San Francisco. I hope as many people as possible will join me for drinks, appetizers, and the game. (Nothing planned for after the game, but who knows what will develop?)

Saturday, April 24 (4:30-6:30): The official beginning of the party, with drinks at Green's Sports Bar; 2239 Polk St.; San Francisco. The party will then continue with dinner at a restaurant shortly to be finalized in San Francisco.

There's no charge for the party—you'll pay only for what you eat and drink. Here's a tip. We wouldn't be in SFO without renting a car. HOWEVER, if we're going out at night, we usually spring for a taxi because parking can be murder (a garage could cost you more than the cabs) and there are no mixups in getting to the right place.

Come one, come all.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:22 pm

There's no charge for the party—you'll pay only for what you eat and drink. Here's a tip. We wouldn't be in SFO without renting a car. HOWEVER, if we're going out at night, we usually spring for a taxi because parking can be murder (a garage could cost you more than the cabs) and there are no mixups in getting to the right place.

Come one, come all.

Sam[/quote]

We wouldn't be in SFO without renting a car.

A car in SF is not necessary at all. There is a very adequate public transportation system (Muni). Finding parking is horrible.
BTW: I did eat at Alioto's...its OK, but you pay Fisherman's Wharf prices there.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Have a great time, I'm bummed I won't be attending.

Alcatraz is worth it certainly. I vividly remember the tour from many years ago and the description of prisoners in solitary crouched on their knees and elbows to minimize contact with the cold floor. Scared me straight. (OK I wasn't much of a threat to go crooked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Pumpsie,

When I mentioned that we wouldn't be without a car, I meant that it was a matter of personal preference because we're so familiar with the city and have so activities when we're there. Moreover, there are many attractions for which, if public transportation exists, it is cumbersome at best. One would be the Presidio/scenic tour/Cliff House trek I described. Another would be a trip through and around Golden Gate Park. Another would be a day trip to Muir Woods or up Mount Tam. And I don't recall cable cars serving Lombard Street (at least not the crooked portion).

But certainly, no one should feel more obliged to have private transportation in SFO than in any other big city. My main point for mentioning the car was as an antecedent for my real message, which is, "Even if one has access to private transportation, I'd advise considering a taxi for traveling around the city at night." People very familiar with SF don't need advice from me on the matter, but out-of-towners might appreciate it.

So are you coming to the party, Pumpsie?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Sam and all,

If still invited, I am going to try to swing by for a few hours on Saturday. My only hang up is if I can get the time off work. I am still waiting for my time off request to be approved. Must be nice to be fully retired. Here is what my intentions are if I can get the time off. I plan on driving up from San Diego on Friday (23rd). Meet everyone on Saturday for the social and dinner. Leave Saturday night/ Sunday morning to head east a couple hours to spend a couple days with my dad. After my unplanned trip to Texas a couple weeks ago getting time off could be a little challenging. However, I am going to try to pull it off.

Bob, if you could list me as possible to attend on Saturday. Hope to meet a few of you finally on Saturday.

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Sounds very promising, Mustang. My wife and I are getting really excited about this event, although it may not break any attendance records.

Also, I hope your wife and her family are gradually and successfully working their way through their loss.

Best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Thank you Sam. Kelley is doing fine. She has her moments still, but is slowly coming to terms with it. As far as Donald, not sure exactly how much he understands, or just keeps it inside.

I am looking forward to attending, assuming I can work out my work schedule. Have a safe trip to the city by the bay.

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Sam wrote:Bob, how about this?

Sam

Last edited by Pumpsie Green on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Sam wrote:Pumpsie,

When I mentioned that we wouldn't be without a car, I meant that it was a matter of personal preference because we're so familiar with the city and have so activities when we're there. Moreover, there are many attractions for which, if public transportation exists, it is cumbersome at best. One would be the Presidio/scenic tour/Cliff House trek I described. Another would be a trip through and around Golden Gate Park. Another would be a day trip to Muir Woods or up Mount Tam. And I don't recall cable cars serving Lombard Street (at least not the crooked portion).

But certainly, no one should feel more obliged to have private transportation in SFO than in any other big city. My main point for mentioning the car was as an antecedent for my real message, which is, "Even if one has access to private transportation, I'd advise considering a taxi for traveling around the city at night." People very familiar with SF don't need advice from me on the matter, but out-of-towners might appreciate it.

So are you coming to the party, Pumpsie?

Sam

I am going to try to make it on Friday. Saturday will be tougher, but not completely out of the question. I am having some home construction done this weekend and it involves moving everything from one end of the house to the other and back again; and its kind of a good size house with way too much stuff in it. That will be a lot of work. How will I recognize you and the group? Some of you may know one another, but I know no one from the board personally.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Easy. I won't be tall, and I'll have a green Celtics cap on. Looking forward to it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Sam wrote:Easy. I won't be tall, and I'll have a green Celtics cap on. Looking forward to it.

Sam

Thanks. I am 6-1, 205 or so. If I can make it (and I WILL try), I will look for you. Do you have a cell #? My number is 415-717-3500. I will have the cell along in SF, but I don't always carry it. Just for backup purposes....
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm

I'll have my laptop with me. I'll send you my cell number by private message.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm in San Francisco getting ready for the Board Party. What we've planned are three events:

Friday, Apr. 23, 4:00 until game ends: Drinks and apps at Lefty O'Doul's Bar, 333 Geary Street; San Francisco (415-982-8900) to watch the next Celtics-Heat game together

Saturday, Apr. 24, 4:30-6:15: Drinks and socializing at Green's Sports Bar, 2239 Polk Street; San Francisco (415-775-4287)

Saturday, Apr. 24, 6:45 until end of dinner: Dinner at Bistro Aix, 3340 Steiner Street; San Francisco (415-202-0100)

Friends and significant others are cordially invited.

The first two events are for those who can drop in at any time as they please. The Saturday evening dinner is the one we need to make reservations for. If there's anyone to whom I failed to send a private email (today—Wednesday) and who is planning to attend the dinner, would you please let me know (below) along with whether you''ll be bringing anyone with you. I don't need advance notice for the other two events—just for the dinner. I'll be wearing a green Celtics hat at the first two events and will be registered as "Celtics Party" at the dinner.

Thanks a lot, and GO CELTICS!!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey fellas I am still in bay and lookin good to come see the game with yall. The game on thread is going to take a beating...unless we REALLY geek out and bring our laptops while were sitting next to each other.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:36 pm

jeb65 wrote:Hey fellas I am still in bay and lookin good to come see the game with yall. The game on thread is going to take a beating...unless we REALLY geek out and bring our laptops while were sitting next to each other.

Jeb et al,

Have a great time, and don't worry about the game on thread; but do worry about pictures. I've been the unofficial photographer the last couple of board events and someone has to pick up the slack for me. San Fran is too darn beautiful not to get some pics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next