Early on, Celtics impress rivals

2 posters

Go down

Early on, Celtics impress rivals Empty Early on, Celtics impress rivals

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:33 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/10/early_on_celtics_impress_rivals

Early on, Celtics impress rivals

Hornets’ Clifford impressed

By: Steve Bulpett

Monday, October 10, 2016

Early on, Celtics impress rivals 100316celtics1
Credit: AP
BIG OPPORTUNITY: Al Horford will make his Celtics debut in tonight’s preseason opener.

UNCASVILLE, Conn. — The Celtics have learned in the past two years that regular-season games are generally meaningless as a barometer when it comes to the playoffs. So certainly preseason games are even less of a measure, particularly when rotations are ragged and there is greater importance placed on seeing specific players and combinations than on winning.

But after watching the Celts throw 107 and 104 points, respectively, at his club late this week, Charlotte Hornets coach Steve Clifford has a pretty good line on the team, which opened the week with a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

“Oh, they’re good,” said Clifford in the wake of 15- and 18-point losses to the C’s in a “home-and-home” series in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, and Saturday at Mohegan Sun. “They’re going to be good. I mean, I would think that most people would say they’re top three in the East. They have a good team, they’re well coached, they’re terrific defensively and they’re hard to guard. So I think they can play balanced, which is what all the best teams do.

“Everything is so related to health, and there are so many factors, but certainly they should be excited about what they could become.”

A good part of what the Celts will become is related to the addition of free agent Al Horford. And after living in the same division with Horford and his previous team, the Atlanta Hawks, Clifford is in very good position to gauge his potential impact on the C’s.

And he didn’t even need a second dose of Horford, who sat out Saturday’s game along with fellow starters Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Amir Johnson (Jae Crowder was the only member of the first five to play.)

Clearly, Clifford thinks the Horford signing will have a large effect.

“Well, I think that it does a number of things,” Clifford said. “He’s an All-Star. He’s an All-Star-caliber player, so you’re taking about two very good players at the top of their roster with him and Isaiah Thomas. The Horford-Isaiah Thomas pick and rolls, you know, they’re going to be a handful.”

Once again, the Celtics will lean quite a bit on their depth, particularly throughout the long and arduous 82-game regular slate. But while he acknowledges the Celts have a lot of high quality options down the roster, Clifford looked again to the stars.

“The biggest difference in a team is always at the top of your roster,” he said. “Depth is depth, but when you’re looking at the best teams, it’s going to get back to your first two or three players best players, and I think that’s what (Horford) adds to their team.”

Celtics notes

Jaylen Brown has had an interesting first week of games. The No. 3 overall draft pick has had some ups (thunderous driving dunks) and downs (shaky shooting from everywhere that isn’t right around the rim).

But Brown retains good perspective for someone who is still 19 until the 24th of this month.

“It’s fun,” Brown said. “I mean, you’re in the NBA, so it’s a great experience. I’m having a wonderful time, just trying to get acclimated and get adjusted. But slow and steady wins the race. If you just keep staying at it and believing in yourself, everything will fall into place.”

Understandably, things aren’t yet in the places Brown wants them. He started Saturday and went 2-for-10 from the floor (0-for-4 on 3-pointers) on the way to four points in 27 minutes.

Overall for the three games, he has 24 points on 10-for-30 shooting (2-for-10 on 3’s), with 12 rebounds, five assists, four turnovers and four steals.

“I’m positive about it,” he said. “I feel like I did some things well. I feel like there’s still a lot of things I’ve got to work on, but I try to focus on the positives and things like that.

“I have much better weeks to come, a lot more to show.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Early on, Celtics impress rivals Empty Re: Early on, Celtics impress rivals

Post by worcester Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:54 pm

So other than three's., Jalen shot 40% in his first three games...8 for 20. Not so bad. What's his shot breakdown from less than 3 feet, less than 16 feet?

Heckler, too bad you're in Morocco. You'd have those answers in a nanosecond otherwise. Miss our walks together. You sure can hoof it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down