Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away

3 posters

Go down

Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away Empty Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:46 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-101316-brown-shows-nets-why-celtics-believe-in-him?sf38838153=1

Brown Shows Nets Why Celtics Believe in Him

Posted: Oct 14, 2016

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com

October 14, 2016

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – In the eyes of Brad Stevens, Jaylen Brown had only one play – the right play. Brown just so happened to agree.

“I thought that was the best option,” Brown said.

The ‘best option’ Brown alluded to just so happened to be a behind-the-back pass – right on the money – to teammate Jordan Mickey with less than 40 seconds left in a one-possession game Thursday night in Brooklyn. The result? A game-altering play.

Brown’s pass hit Mickey right in the mitts late in transition, and Mickey quickly threw down a loud slam to bring Boston to within one point with 34 seconds left on the clock.

“It was a good defensive possession. We got out in transition,” Brown said, recalling how the play unfolded. “I saw the big running, so when the big is running, you’ve got to feed him. I just made the pass and played the game the right way.”

Stevens said of the play, “I thought the behind-the-back pass was the right play. The defender was coming at his hand and just flipping it behind his back to two guys trailing was the right move.”

The play not only sliced Brooklyn’s lead down to one, but it also fueled the Celtics with energy. The entire bench – drenched with five starters and every top reserve – bounced into the air in excitement, waving towels and screaming to Brown, Mickey and their three teammates as they transitioned from one end of the court to the other.

The energy helped, because Boston strung together yet another strong defensive possession during the ensuing shot clock, forcing the Nets into a crucial miss with 10 seconds left in the game.

Brown was then fouled, and he calmly drained two free throws with 7.9 seconds left to cap the game's scoring and give Boston a 100-97 lead. Brooklyn, down three points, then called for a timeout with false hopes of sending the game to overtime.

Brown was excited about the critical plays he had just made, but he was just as happy to be greeted by an excited crop of teammates as he walked off of the court and into the timeout.

“It’s a great feeling,” he said of the support he felt from his older teammates. “The vets, they pull me to the side, they kind of take me under their wing and just try to help me get better. I look up to them.”

Brown continued, “They’ve been in the league five, seven-plus, some going on 10 yea…”

And that’s when Brown was cut off by Jae Crowder, who pranced by the media session and screamed, “YEAH, ROOK!”

There’s no question that these Celtics believe in their No. 1 draft pick from this season. Thursday night was the latest evidence of why such is the case.

“We understand and we know how special Jaylen is and his talent,” Marcus Smart said.

Similarly, Brad Stevens stated moments earlier, “He still has a ways to go to be the best version of himself, but he’s 19, and I think he’s going to be really good.”

You don’t often hear players and coaches talking openly about a rookie in such tones after only four preseason games of his first season.

Then again, you don’t often find a rookie who makes the kind of play Brown did Thursday night with the game on the line

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away Empty Re: Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:08 am

Boxscore:

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899099

Quick observations from someone who did NOT watch the game:

1.  Brown 4-4 from the line.  Critical for a player whose game is slashing and creating contact.  His last two were high-pressure clutch.

2.  Rozier with 7 assists and only 2 turnovers.  2-3 from 3.  Proving almost everybody, who thought he was not a point guard nor a shooter, wrong.

3.  50 rebounds is a lot of rebounds in a regulation 48 minute game.  Maybe it won't be the weakness some of us fear.  On the other hand, it was the Nets.

4.  HORRENDOUS shooting from Crowder, Bradley and IT.  A combined 7-29!  Yikes!  Our starters were 13-38, 34%. Can't win like that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away Empty Re: Post-Game Thread, Preseason vs Nets, Away

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:57 am

with Smart and Brown here, you really have to feel good about the long term prospects of this team.

add in another top 3 pick from the nets this coming draft and we may the next big three on the 2020 Boston Celtics.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 am

kdp59 wrote:with Smart and Brown here, you really have to feel good about the long term prospects of this team.

add in another top 3 pick from the nets this coming draft and we may the next big three on the 2020 Boston Celtics.

and Rozier

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down