Thank you Dave Powers!!!

3 posters

Go down

Thank you Dave Powers!!! Empty Thank you Dave Powers!!!

Post by pete Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:31 pm

My friend since 4th grade, passed away this week. Dave was a radio broadcast engineer who did visitor radio for the Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots, and he worked many years with Max & Sean for their Celtics broadcasts. I could always see him at the court side table.

Dave was the person who got Max to sign the basketball for our first board fund raiser (which Rosalie won). So last night, they honored him on the Jumbotron at the Garden. Some of you may recognize him from Celtics games, and the ones who listened to the games on radio, he was the one that made it happen. You may also recognize the name John Mullaney (another childhood friend), who was a business partner with Dave, in Minuteman Communications. For the Bruin fans out there, John was the engineer on their radio broadcasts, as well as countless other broadcasts in they did together in the Boston area.

Thank you Dave Powers!!! Daveon10

Here is his obituary:

David Michael Powers, 56, of Concord, formerly of Lincoln, succumbed to complications of ataxia and metastatic prostate cancer after a long and courageous struggle, at the Walden Health and Rehab Center in Concord, on Tuesday, October 18, 2016. He was the beloved son of the late Richard F. Powers who died in 2003 and the late H. Irene (Mockel) Powers who died on September 28, 2016.

He leaves three loving sisters; Patricia Selin and her husband John of Stow, Cynthia Frost and her husband Ray of Windsor, Pamela Rodenhizer and her husband John of Fitchburg, and his sister-in-law, Anne Powers of Maynard, wife of his brother, Richard E. Powers, who predeceased him in 2002, an aunt; Marlene Mockel of Malden, several nieces, a nephew, several grand nieces, a grandnephew, cousins and many wonderful friends.

David was a well-known Radio Broadcast Engineer in the Boston area for many years as half of the Minuteman Communications team and worked for almost every local radio station in Boston including WBCN, KISS108 and WBZ to WEEI and WGBH. He also traveled with Doug Banks and the Tom Joyner Morning Shows as well as ABC's Rejoice Gospel whenever they were on the road broadcasting their remotes and events.

On his own, he also worked hundreds of games at Fenway Park, TD Garden and Foxborough Stadium for the visiting teams of the Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox and Patriots. Many of our well-known radio broadcasters and sports announcers knew Dave, and considered him a friend. Dave, always the inventor even when ill, was constantly thinking of new ideas for both business and technology. He was a loyal friend to many and always thought of others first...especially the less fortunate, surprising them with ballgame passes, tours of the arenas and thoughtful gifts. He will always be remembered for his quiet and humble demeanor but, also for his gentle and kind persona.
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Thank you Dave Powers!!! Empty Re: Thank you Dave Powers!!!

Post by gyso Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Pete, sorry for your loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks gyso,

You guys have no idea how much he and John did for Boston broadcasts.

They started around roughly 1980 or so, and really invented/spliced and built, on a shoestring budget,  early remote broadcasting. Their determination to making every broadcast, no matter where it was, to be the best it could be, from a sound quality standpoint, set the precedent for the standard in todays broadcasting.

As a tech guy, I was privileged to be a part of this. I was able to work for these guys off and om from 84-2002. They really were trend setters, as no one else in the Boston area had the skills they had, none!

I didn't give  much thought of this,  until Dave passed away. But I am convinced  that Dave and and John are/were pioneers of remote remote broadcast radio.

So, the next time you listen to a remote radio broadcast from a sports game, a car dealer dealership, and/or your favorite restaurant, you can be darn sure that Dave and John had something to do with the sound quality.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Pete,

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

A friend since the 4th grade. That is something truly special. I hope you will carry many happy memories with you and share them often.

Best regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm

nycelt,

I have the most amazing memories of our years together. They are flooding my mind and its been hard to sleep, but good stuff only.

Thanks

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down