Jonas Jerebko Riding Magical Shooting Stretch

Go down

Jonas Jerebko Riding Magical Shooting Stretch Empty Jonas Jerebko Riding Magical Shooting Stretch

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:39 am

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-120616-jonas-jerebko-rides-magical-shooting-stretch/

Jonas Jerebko Riding Magical Shooting Stretch 161206jerebko

Jonas Jerebko Riding Magical Shooting Stretch

Posted: Dec 06, 2016

By Taylor C. Snow | @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com

December 6, 2016

ORLANDO – The Boston Celtics touched down in 70-degree Orlando, Florida early Tuesday morning, but the team will bring a little heat of its own when they take on the Magic Wednesday night at Amway Center.

Boston’s heat comes in the form of Jonas Jerebko, who is currently toting one of the hottest shooting hands around.

Over the last 11 games, Jerebko has shot 26-of-38 (68.4 percent) from the field, and an extremely efficient 12-of-16 (75 percent) from 3-point range.

During the three-week stretch, he has shot at least 50 percent or more during nine of 11 contests, and he’s shot at least 50 percent from 3 during every game in which he has attempted at least one shot from long range.

“I’m just picking my spots,” Jerebko said Tuesday afternoon after a practice session at Amway Center. “My teammates are putting me in good situations and I’m just taking the open shot and knocking it down. I feel like every shot I’m shooting is going to go in, so I feel extremely confident.”

Jerebko’s heightened confidence this season is allowing him to shoot career bests of 49.4 percent from the field and 48.5 percent from beyond the arc, which ranks second in the league – behind Joel Embiid – among players who have attempted at least 30 treys.

Brad Stevens shows no surprise at mention of Jerebko's shooting spike, as the coach noted the forward’s basketball-related amenities back at home.

“He’s got a gym in his basement,” Stevens said with a smile, “so he should be able to shoot it.”

Yes, Jerebko has a full court inside his new home in Detroit, and you can bet that court saw plenty of usage during the offseason.

“This was the first summer in that house, so every morning I’d wake up and get a lot of shots up,” said Jerebko. “It was great for my shot and great for my confidence. And you can’t really have a better practice facility than that in the summer.”

The new court has turned out to be a great investment for Jerebko, because it’s allowed him to fill an offensive role that the Celtics need.

“When Jonas spaces the floor, he’s really good,” said Stevens. “That’s what we need him to do.

“His ability to space the floor and drag 4s and 5s out is a positive. With Al (Horford) and Kelly (Olynyk) and their offense, a lot of times teams make a decision to put their 5 on Jonas and so he can stretch those guys.”

Isaiah Thomas is another Celtic who benefits from Jerebko’s presence because opposing players are forced to respect Jerebko’s range, which takes bodies away from IT. By having another shooter on the court, Thomas is able to feed off of Jerebko, and vice versa.

“If he’s open, he’s shooting it, if not, he’s moving the ball. And that’s what we need him to do,” said Thomas, who was sidelined Tuesday with a sore groin. “He’s playing with a lot of confidence, so we need him to continue to play like that, and we need him to continue to make his shots. And I think he will.”

Jae Crowder, however, noted that Jerebko can be a little too pass-friendly at times. He says he encourages Jerebko to not hesitate to take every open shot he sees, as the 6-foot-10 forward will sometimes opt to make an extra pass rather than shoot the rock.

“He should shoot more, especially when the shots are there,” said Crowder. “It’s a part of our offense to get guys like him wide-open shots, and he just has to step into it.”

“But I think he’s playing great,” added Crowder. “He’s in a great rhythm right now and he’s been helping us a lot.”

The Celtics should be challenged from long range Wednesday night when they go up against a Magic team that is allowing the fewest 3-point makes in the NBA. Orlando, however, will have its hands full because Jerebko’s shooting hand hasn’t cooled off in roughly three weeks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down