POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME

Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME Empty POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME

Post by 112288 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Rose powers slumping Knicks past Celtics 117-106

ESPNBOSTON

BOSTON -- Derrick Rose matched his season high with 30 points, and the slumping New York Knicks beat the Boston Celtics 117-106 on Wednesday night.

New York played without injured starters Kristaps Porzingis and Joakim Noah, but Mindaugas Kuzminskas and Willy Hernangomez each scored 17 points to help make up for their absence. It was just the third win in 14 games for the Knicks.

Isaiah Thomas led Boston with 39 points, his 13th time this season with 30 or more points. Jae Crowder added 21 for the Celtics, who lost for only the fourth time in 17 games.

Al Horford, Boston's big free-agent acquisition during the summer, had five points on 2-of-14 shooting. He was 1 for 8 on 3-point attempts.

Boston closed to 97-96 on Jaylen Brown's two free throws with just under eight minutes to play, but Justin Holiday and Courtney Lee nailed 3-pointers 29 seconds apart, pushing New York's lead back to seven. Rose then capped an 8-0 spree by putting in his own miss after Thomas missed a jumper -- his seventh straight shot that was off.

TIP-INS

Knicks: Porzingis was out with a sore left Achilles and Noah was sidelined by a sore left ankle. Porzingis missed his fourth straight game, but did shoot before the game. Noah played in their last game. Both big men are expected to undergo MRIs on Thursday. ... F Lance Thomas was also out (fractured left orbital bone).

Celtics: G Avery Bradley was a late scratch with a sore right Achilles after warming up. He played in Monday's win, but had missed the previous four games after straining the same Achilles.

SPECIAL MOMENT

The fans gave a loud ovation to 11-year-old Stephen Register of Needham, Massachusetts, late in the opening quarter when he was shown on the Jumbotron.

On Tuesday, as part of a Make-A-Wish memory, the team signed him to an honorary one-day contract and he practiced with Celtics players Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk, received a personalized team jersey, and participated in a press conference with players asking him questions.

He was diagnosed with intractable epilepsy.

UP NEXT

Knicks: Host Washington on Thursday night for their third game in four days. The Wizards won the only other matchup -- 119-112 in Washington on Nov. 17.

Celtics: Host Portland on Saturday, the first of two meetings between the teams this season.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No late-game heroics for Celtics as they lose to Knicks, 117-106

CSNNE

By A. Sherrod Blakely January 18, 2017 9:56 PM

BOSTON – Lately, shots seemed to fall for just about every player the Boston Celtics put on the floor. You knew sooner or later, Boston would have one of those nights when those same shots wouldn’t fall.

And then there’s the New York Knicks at the opposite end of that spectrum, a team that was overdue for a good night of basketball after having lost 11 of their previous 13 games.

Both worlds collided on Wednesday night, resulting in a 117-106 loss for the Celtics.

Not even the usual late-game scoring heroics of Isaiah Thomas could save the Celtics this time. He led all scorers with 39 points but only eight came in the fourth.  

Trailing 88-83 going into the fourth quarter, Boston (26-16) had been within striking distance on a number of occasions earlier in the night, only to have the Knicks (19-24) rebuff them with a made basket, or a rebound or a rebound that led to a made basket.

It was that kind of game for the Celtics, seemingly playing uphill most of the night.

No player exhibited Boston’s struggles more than Al Horford.

The four-time All-Star had arguably his worst game as a Celtic, scoring just five points while missing 12 of his 14 field goal attempts.  

Even though Boston spent most of the game trailing, it was hard to not think the Celtics would do what we’ve seen them do time and time again of late and that’s find a way to win in the fourth quarter.

After all, the fourth quarter has been good to the Celtics – especially Isaiah Thomas.

He leads the NBA in fourth quarter points at 10.1 per game, the kind of fourth quarter scoring the league has never seen before.

But Thomas never found any kind of late-game rhythm, a similar experience felt by most of his teammates.

It wasn’t just bad shooting that ultimately sunk the Celtics.

Rebounding, which has been a problem for them all season, was a major factor in Wednesday’s outcome as well.

For the game, New York out-rebounded Boston 57-33. Many of those boards were on the offensive glass which was a major factor in the Knicks holding a 24-12 advantage on second-chance points.

And as impressive as Thomas has been in elevating his game in the fourth quarter this season, the Knicks were being led by an equally determined Derrick Rose.

The former league MVP looked like his old self instead of just old, dribble-driving his way in and out of the paint, raising up for stop-on-the-dime jumpers. He would finish with a team-high 30 points.

The Celtics led 34-31 after the first quarter, but spent most of the night afterwards playing catchup to a New York Knicks team that came in having lost 11 of its previous 13 games.

NOTE

Both Boston and New York were missing key players with a sore Achilles injury. For the Celtics, they were without Avery Bradley (right Achilles) and the Knicks were missing Kristaps Porzingis (left Achilles).

Back to top Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 am

Awful.  Disgraceful.  Nobody played hard except for IT and Jae and, for 6 minutes, Jordan Mickey.

Horford with his worst game as a Celtic.  2-14, 1-8 from 3.  He had 10 assists and 0 TOs but that was negated by his horrendous shooting.  And he didn't stop.  A key point here is that 8 of his 14 points were from 3.  Of the 6 shots that were not 3s only 3 were in the paint.  One was a blown layup (how many of those has he missed this year already?) and another was a putback of an IT miss.  3 shots in the paint by a player playing against a team that was missing its two shot blocking rim-protectors.

I blame Brad for that.  We should have been going inside, setting up in the low blocks every play and forcing bench players O'Quinn, Plumlee and Hernangomez to stop us.  Instead, we kept doing our inverted inside out play, with smaller players like Smart and Jae posting up and our bigs outside, which makes sense against teams who are bigger than us (and most of them are) but was completely unnecessary last night.  The tables were turned and Brad didn't recognize that and coach accordingly.  Usually he is very flexible but not last night.

Jae played great, both ends.  He hit his outside shots and cut to the basket for inside shots.  The stuff Al Horford should have done.

For a guy whose specialty is pnr defense Amir has not been doing a very good job with pnr defense.  Several times he just stood there while guys flew past him.  A lost rebound to DRose because he stood there.  His performance this year, overall, is a falloff from last year.  He's an intangibles guy, you cannot see his contributions on the boxscore, but you also can't see his blown defensive rotations on the boxscore either.

Mickey with a quality, but cameo, appearance.  2 blocks in 6 minutes.  He got outmuscled on a rebound by Hernangomez  once but he did well otherwise.  Trade Amir, Danny.  Trade him for Hernangomez, if you can figure out how to do that.  The rook killed us last night with boards and hustle.

Pretty good appearance by Brown.  He blew a few layups, again, because the game is a bit too fast for him, but next year?  I'm sure he'll settle down and will make them.

Kelly with 13 minutes off the bench.  Kelly has been going strong the past week or two, and Brad doesn't play him in a game where the Knicks are down two starting bigs?

We got outrebounded 57-33, despite them being down their starting bigs.  Embarrassing.

They shot 50.5%.  That's embarrassing too.  We have fallen in love with our offense and have forgotten about defense.  Can you imagine what a debacle this would have been if Melo had scored more than 13 points?  If I told you that IT would score 39 points and we would have a franchise-setting low 3 Turnovers, what would you expect the final score to be?  Nobody except IT, Jae and Mickey played like they gave a shit.  Yeah, that includes Marcus Smart too.

A wasted opportunity, because the surging Sixers beat Toronto last night.

Last week I made some Irish Cream, my own version of Baileys.  I killed it last night after this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900051

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am

Bob

This game was lost on the glass.  They had 57 rebounds we had 33.  They had 18 offensive rebounds and we had 9.

You cannot win games when the rebounding disparity has a spread like that.  

I would disagree with you about Amir's defense.  He did have 2 blocks and 7 boards, scored 10 points was was a +8.  We also saw guys getting by Horford for layups.  Our Pick and roll defense was suspect last night.

Marcus Smart may have the ugliest offense in the NBA.  Scary bad.  Also he could not check Rose.  Marcus is a tough physical defender but he really is not quick enough to cover quick points guards.

IT was somewhat burnt out because he put out a lot of energy in the first half to get us back in the game and still scored 20 points in the 2nd half.

Mickey showed some defense.  It is too bad that this team has no semblance of a low post offense.  Few passes into the post.

KO only played 13 minutes.  He sort of reverted back to the bad KO.  Was indecisive but was not given an opportunity to play through it.

Brown is going to make those layups next year.  Work on his mechanics taking jumpers and learning how to finish at the rim.

Rozier played hard. Jonas played short minutes.

Crowder came to play.

This was a missed opportunity for the Celtics.  Their offense and defense  has a hole in it when Bradley does not play. Some of those rebounds that the Knicks came up with would have gone to Bradley.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by international on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:11 pm

I still remember when i said that both Willy Hernangomez and Mindaugas Kusminskas were players capable to help the Celtics and some posters here told me that basically i was wrong..The arguments used were the same againgst European players....Slow,not tough,not proven .But as i said that time both are intelligent,tough enouth,well coached,team players,and experienced.Take a note on this.....Point guard Milos Teodosic of Serbia and currently playing in Rusia is better than most of the point guards starting in NBA right now,he is 6-5 and a great passer and outside shooter.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dBua8WwxWY

international

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm

international wrote:I still remember when i said that both Willy Hernangomez and Mindaugas Kusminskas were players capable to help the Celtics and some posters here told me that basically i was wrong..The arguments used were the same againgst European players....Slow,not tough,not proven .But as i said that time both are intelligent,tough enouth,well coached,team players,and experienced.Take a note on this.....Point guard Milos Teodosic of Serbia and currently playing in Rusia is better than most of the point guards starting in NBA right now,he is 6-5 and a great passer and outside shooter.

International

We should rely on your knowledge of European players. Both of those guys are very skilled players

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:Awful.  Disgraceful.  Nobody played hard except for IT and Jae and, for 6 minutes, Jordan Mickey.

Horford with his worst game as a Celtic.  2-14, 1-8 from 3.  He had 10 assists and 0 TOs but that was negated by his horrendous shooting.  And he didn't stop.  A key point here is that 8 of his 14 points were from 3.  Of the 6 shots that were not 3s only 3 were in the paint.  One was a blown layup (how many of those has he missed this year already?) and another was a putback of an IT miss.  3 shots in the paint by a player playing against a team that was missing its two shot blocking rim-protectors.

I blame Brad for that.  We should have been going inside, setting up in the low blocks every play and forcing bench players O'Quinn, Plumlee and Hernangomez to stop us.  Instead, we kept doing our inverted inside out play, with smaller players like Smart and Jae posting up and our bigs outside, which makes sense against teams who are bigger than us (and most of them are) but was completely unnecessary last night.  The tables were turned and Brad didn't recognize that and coach accordingly.  Usually he is very flexible but not last night.

Jae played great, both ends.  He hit his outside shots and cut to the basket for inside shots.  The stuff Al Horford should have done.

For a guy whose specialty is pnr defense Amir has not been doing a very good job with pnr defense.  Several times he just stood there while guys flew past him.  A lost rebound to DRose because he stood there.  His performance this year, overall, is a falloff from last year.  He's an intangibles guy, you cannot see his contributions on the boxscore, but you also can't see his blown defensive rotations on the boxscore either.

Mickey with a quality, but cameo, appearance.  2 blocks in 6 minutes.  He got outmuscled on a rebound by Hernangomez  once but he did well otherwise.  Trade Amir, Danny.  Trade him for Hernangomez, if you can figure out how to do that.  The rook killed us last night with boards and hustle.

Pretty good appearance by Brown.  He blew a few layups, again, because the game is a bit too fast for him, but next year?  I'm sure he'll settle down and will make them.

Kelly with 13 minutes off the bench.  Kelly has been going strong the past week or two, and Brad doesn't play him in a game where the Knicks are down two starting bigs?

We got outrebounded 57-33, despite them being down their starting bigs.  Embarrassing.

They shot 50.5%.  That's embarrassing too.  We have fallen in love with our offense and have forgotten about defense.  Can you imagine what a debacle this would have been if Melo had scored more than 13 points?  If I told you that IT would score 39 points and we would have a franchise-setting low 3 Turnovers, what would you expect the final score to be?  Nobody except IT, Jae and Mickey played like they gave a shit.  Yeah, that includes Marcus Smart too.

Last week I made some Irish Cream, my own version of Baileys.  I killed it last night after this.

bob

Hey bob I hate that inverted offense too, its for pussies that can' play in the paint.

KO didn't play much because when he is the bad KO, he plays like a pussycat and we were already getting killed on the boards, and they were without their starting C and PF....??? If KO could have done something, anything I'm sure Brad would have had him out there, but when Kelly plays like a pussy, he should be on the bench for protection from the brutes in the paint.

I'm getting concerned about Marcus Smart, his scoring, shooting is regressing at an alarming rate and while he is a tough guy, his defense on Rose was not getting it done....and that was surprising. Is he injured, is it the coaching? Rose was actually bothering Smart more on defense than Smart was defensively on Rose. This year our backcourt defensively has had some moments, but it seems last year Smart and AB were alot more shutdown than this year.
cowens/oldschool
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Awful.  Disgraceful.  Nobody played hard except for IT and Jae and, for 6 minutes, Jordan Mickey.

bob

Hey bob I hate that inverted offense too, its for pussies that can' play in the paint.

KO didn't play much because when he is the bad KO, he plays like a pussycat and we were already getting killed on the boards, and they were without their starting C and PF....??? If KO could have done something, anything I'm sure Brad would have had him out there, but when Kelly plays like a pussy, he should be on the bench for protection from the brutes in the paint.

I'm getting concerned about Marcus Smart, his scoring, shooting is regressing at an alarming rate and while he is a tough guy, his defense on Rose was not getting it done....and that was surprising. Is he injured, is it the coaching? Rose was actually bothering Smart more on defense than Smart was defensively on Rose. This year our backcourt defensively has had some moments, but it seems last year Smart and AB were alot more shutdown than this year.

Cow,

I don't have a problem with inverted offense if you're are small like we are and that's what you have to do, you gotta do what you gotta do, but last night we weren't facing Porzingis and Noah and that is not what we needed to do. Our problem is that we didn't really try to play in the paint. One time Horford had the ball at the rim and dished to Amir. It went in, we got the points, but it showed that Horford didn't want to jam it on a couple of Knick bench players.

Smart's shooting has always been a problem. Yeah he is a tiger on defense but that's only one side of the ball and he cannot guard point guards. Not that that is SO bad, since he can guard 3 other positions, but putting him on DRose was a bad decision by Brad. There was no way I could see Smart staying in front of Rose and yet staying close enough to bother his shots. I'll say this for Jae and Smart, they don't lack for ferocity, something Horford, Kelly, Zeller and Amir do lack. You don't have to be crazed like Smart, but a little bit of hostility and bad intent is a good thing.

We need some beef. Not to box out Howard or stuff like that, there are other ways to screw him up as we saw in Atlanta, but someone who knows their game is based upon carving out space for himself however he has to do it. Tristan Thompson is a good example, although the money he is asking for is ridiculous for such a limited player, but that type. Hernangomez showed me that last night. The Plumlees are always willing to throw themselves into the fray. No, they aren't particularly good players (a little slack is due to rookie Hernangomez) but they have aggression. Zeller lacks aggression. I've never seen such a passive big. Kelly fights for position, he just lacks the strength to hold some of those guys off, which is why he really should just be playing 4. If I never see a 7'er do another flip shot at the rim it will be too soon. Zeller is, supposedly, over 255#. He has the meat to do it. Kelly is 10-15# lighter than that.

One of Smart's assets is that he is a vocal leader who pumps people up. Now would be a good time to box a few ears in the Celtic locker room.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 pm

The Celtics have been playing very well the last 20 games and so a bad game was due. Since it's not our money, let's not be too worried about it. Horford had a very bad game and he knows it. Does Brad understand that he has bad games too? The C's will be a much better team when they can play A-Z. Are Zeller and Johnson the AnteDancingBear? (sic)
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down