Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka Empty Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

This just moved from the NON-Celtic Trade Rumor thread to its own thread because of this report.  If you want to do business in the NBA, you have to go to "The Bank", aka Trader Danny.

http://nesn.com/2017/01/nba-rumors-celtics-among-teams-interested-in-magics-serge-ibaka/

Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka

by Darren Hartwell

on Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:37AM

It appears Nikola Vucevic isn’t the only member of the Orlando Magic who has caught the Boston Celtics’ eye.

The Magic have “picked up their attempts” to try to trade big man Serge Ibaka before the NBA trade deadline, Sporting News reported Monday, citing league sources. And apparently the Celtics could be willing suitors — the Sporting News’ Sean Deveney notes the C’s “need some frontcourt defensive depth,” while Keith Smith of FanRag Sports lists Boston as one of several teams with interest in Ibaka.

Keith Smith ✔ @KeithSmithNBA Teams known to have interest in Ibaka are Toronto, Washington, Boston, Indiana, Houston, Portland, and San Antonio. 1:16 PM - 30 Jan 2017 232 232 Retweets 219 219 likes

A rebounding, rim-protecting big man like Ibaka would fill an obvious need for the Celtics, who own the second-best record in the Eastern Conference but rank 26th in the NBA in rebounding differential and 27th in second-chance points allowed per game.

That weakness was on full display Monday night when Boston beat the Detroit Pistons 113-109 but was out-rebounded 62-52 and allowed 60 points in the paint.

Ibaka, 27, has made the NBA’s All-Defensive first team three times and led the league in blocks twice while with the Oklahoma City Thunder. His defensive and rebounding numbers have declined in recent years, though — despite averaging 14.9 points per game in his first season with the Magic, the 6-foot-10 big man is registering just 6.8 rebounds per game, the third-lowest total of his career, and 1.6 blocks per game, his lowest total since his rookie year.

Ibaka is in the final year of a four-year, $49.4 million contract and is set to become a free agent after the 2016-17 season.

bob
MY NOTE: Only 27 years old. Not known for being injury-prone.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/ibakase01.html

Opinions? Price is a consideration, of course, but if you could make a decent deal, not a steal, for either Vucevic or Ibaka who would you trade for if either? It looks like Orlando is looking to blow it up.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka Empty Re: Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka

Post by dboss Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:30 am

A while back under another thread I mentioned Ibaka as someone the Celtics should target if they were trying to upgrade their PF spot.

Ibaka can probably play some 5 and is a more versatile player than Vucevic.  Ibaka can shot from the perimeter.  .384% from behind the arc.  Vucevic is a better rebounder but Ibaka has more tools  in his box.

He is going to be a free agent after this year.  Orlando really needs more offense.  Danny could make this happen if he wants to.  I think a guard and either KO or Jerebko along with Amir would need to be in the mix.  We may also have to part with a first rounder and I think our pick in 2018 not the Nets.

Ibaka has some declining metrics so DA would need to determine what he is worth and how would you project his productivity 2-3 years down the road.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka Empty Re: Celtics Among Teams Interested In Magic’s Serge Ibaka

Post by wideclyde Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

I could see trading both Johnson and Zeller for Ibaka and Vusevic with adding in a possible non Nets first rounder, a second rounder and Mickey and Young to make salaries work.

Both teams get an expiring contract (Ibaka for the Cs and Johnson for the Magic). Zeller can be resigned at a decent price for another year, and Vusevic is already signed for the 2018 season.The Cs get younger (slightly) and better rebounding at the 5 spot while the Magic pick up a first round pick.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:50 am

now we're talking....keep in mind it is a 3 month rental though.

he WILL WANT to get paid in the off-season.

so be careful what you are willing to offer for him.

no way would I offer anyone in our rotation besides Amir or Zeller to be honest. IF Danny wants him he can sign him as a FA in the off-season for nothing.

If I'm Danny I start with Amir's expiring (to match contracts) and the T wolves second rounder next year. It may be best offer they get to be honest. though I would probably be willing to send them a future non Nets first to get it done, IF I felt we had a good chance to resign him at a reasonable deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am

kdp59 wrote:now we're talking....keep in mind it is a 3 month rental though.

he WILL WANT to get paid in the off-season.

so be careful what you are willing to offer for him.

no way would I offer anyone in our rotation besides Amir or Zeller to be honest. IF Danny wants him he can sign him as a FA in the off-season for nothing.

If I'm Danny I start with Amir's expiring (to match contracts) and the T wolves second rounder next year. It may be best offer they get to be honest. though I would probably be willing to send them a future non Nets first to get it done, IF I felt we had a good chance to resign him at a reasonable deal.

kdp,

Pretty amazing considering they gave up Oladipo, Ilyasova and Sabonis to get him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Back before the draft Ibaka was one of the players (with Cousins and Butler) that I wanted Danny to trade for.

as i recalled I would have been happy to see the #3 pick AB and others go for Butler, while i felt that #16 and a second or two should have been enough for Ibaka.

so IMO Orlando way overpaid for a one year rental of Ibaka, but what the hell do I know?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:08 pm

"Pretty amazing considering they gave up Oladipo, Ilyasova and Sabonis to get him."

Bob, The Magic also threw in a year's supply of Amway laundry soap.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 am

Magic are a very strange team in terms of the way they are constructed.

Since Serge will be a free agent after this year Boston would need some indication on whether they can resign him and for how much. He is coming off of a $12,250,000 contract so he will be expected a bump up.

The last round of free agent signings reflected a feeding frenzy. A lot of cash was handed out to players that simply do not deserve the money. How much will Serge want, and what will the Magic want to move him?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 am

worcester wrote:"Pretty amazing considering they gave up Oladipo, Ilyasova and Sabonis to get him."

Bob, The Magic also threw in a year's supply of Amway laundry soap.

worcester,

That was the biggest loss for Orlando since they now need that soap to get the taste out of their mouths.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:54 am

Magic Imploding

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-serge-ibaka-trade-david-whitley-20170131-story.html

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 am

I`m sure I`m in the minority , but , given his defensive improvement, scoring potential and passing ability, I don`t give up KO straight up for Ibaka, who seems to be going in the opposite direction; certainly not for a rental. Maybe Amir and Zeller and a non Brooklyn draft pick if the salaries match.Some of these proposed trades are flat out nuts.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am

In looking for trade match-ups, Johnson and Ibaka are good right now. But, there is no sense for the Magic, no matter how much they may wan to move Ibaka at this time, to make such a deal without other parts included.

Adding in Vusevic by the Magic and Zeller, Young and a non Nets first round pick may get the Cs some improvement for the rest of this season (and, possibly beyond just this season) at a fairly small cost. Perhaps add in a couple of 2nd round picks if necessary.

Zeller is non guaranteed for next year and Johnson and Ibaka are free agents in the summer. Vusevic is signed for at least one more season and is a young big man who is already better than both Jonnson and Zeller for what the Cs need.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down