Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved

4 posters

Go down

Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved Empty Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved

BOSTON HERALD - Steve Bulpett Tuesday, January 31, 2017

With less than three weeks remaining before the Feb. 23 trade deadline, the Celtics are very much players in the transaction game. In addition to holding assets that other clubs covet, their stockpile of picks and high-quality complementary players also makes them valuable third-party participants to facilitate the deals of others.

“I don’t think any move of significance gets done before the deadline without Danny being given the chance to put his fingerprints on it,” said one general manager.

That latter point could soon come into play as the Clippers attempt to get Carmelo Anthony from the Knicks. We’ve been told that, while Doc Rivers said everything is on the table as he tries to improve the club, he wants to maintain his four-man core of Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and J.J. Redick.

In that the Clips don’t have much to give up, having dealt quite a bit away to get where they are now, which is still miles behind the Warriors. If the Knicks aren’t happy getting back some side players and expiring contracts, the Clippers will have to expand the deal. That would bring the Celtics into play and explain part of the reason why the Knicks are keeping an eye on them.

But the C’s do have interest in Anthony for themselves, as well. They have for a long time. And it’s no doubt their attention gained an even greater degree when word filtered out that the Celts are one of the clubs for whom Carmelo would consider waiving his no-trade clause.

The question in this case, and, really, in every case, is price. According to multiple sources, there have been, as of the weekend, no formal trade talks between the Celts and New York, but that was largely because the Knicks are believed to be asking a Melo’s ransom for the star.

Anthony could be the additional major scoring source the Celts need, and there is every reason to believe he would fit here from the technical hoop standpoint and as a teammate. But unless Ainge can get more than the 32-year-old Melo, it is hard to picture a scenario in which he surrenders one of the first-rounders he has coming from Brooklyn.

Another key element for the locals is that acquiring Anthony would knock them out of the free agent market this summer, and Ainge may want to see who becomes available there.

Under all these circumstances, Celtics involvement in an Anthony deal would appear to hinge on the Clippers and Knicks finding a creative way to make them want to take part, or Phil Jackson getting frustrated and giving the C’s a price that works.

In any case, the Celts are comfortable waiting it out. This, in fact, may be the best strategy as clubs come to realize just how distant they are from contending for a championship and, now unencumbered by illusion, begin to chart their long-term strategies.

Which brings us to the Bulls, who almost certainly have to rethink things after last week’s upheaval. Critical comments toward teammates from Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo’s reply have left too many questions. It’s hard to fathom how Chicago can simply continue on the present path.

The Celtics have gone after Butler before, and no doubt they’d still be on the list of suitors if the Bulls make him available. Concerns were raised when he went a visually disinterested 1-of-13 off the bench in a loss to Miami after being punished for speaking out. Then Butler responded with 28 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in a win over Philadelphia the next time out.

If the Bulls do seriously entertain offers, they’re going to want a package that gives them players to keep them afloat in the playoff picture now while setting them up for a quicker rebuild — read: Nets pick. (And wouldn’t it be fascinating if one of the facets by which the Celts can land Butler involves taking back Rondo’s contract.)

As of now, sources from other clubs are telling us that Ainge is patrolling the marketplace in hopes that a player worthy of some of the assets he has accumulated becomes available. If that happens, the Celts are in perhaps the best position to pounce.

Until then, they will work the edges, as well. Nikola Vucevic did come up in a conversation with Orlando, but that was some three months ago. And Larry Sanders let it be known he worked out for the C’s, most likely to drum up interested elsewhere.

The overriding point of interest here is that, as we’ve written recently, the Celtics clearly need to get something done by the draft. If they do not deal the Brooklyn pick, they will almost have to take one of the intriguing point guards that presently sit atop the charts. And with Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier already in that mix, something will have to give.

So if nothing major gets done by Feb. 23, you can expect Ainge to work much later than banker’s hours when the draft gets near.

Back to top Go down

Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved Empty Re: Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:10 pm

This narrative has been going on for a couple of years now. It makes some sense for reasons I don't have to go over for the folks on this board. However, I would argue that things have changed and the media have yet to fully realize it. The Celtics are no longer a "middling" team, destined for a 1st round playoff exit. They are number 2 in the east. That's eastern conference finals. And, what if LeBron got hurt? Does anyone really think Cleveland without LeBron is guaranteed to take the Celtics? I don't.  Thus, I think Danny has to be much more careful making a move. Celtics are already just below the warriors/cavs/Spurs. To surpass them would probably require one of the transcendent stars on one of those teams.  I just don't think Jimmy Butler is a big enough upgrade over AB to get them there. Boogie? Maybe, but that could also end up with the team going down in flames. Given how far they have come, and the difficulty of getting personnel to go further, I wonder if Danny might be more inclined to keep his picks. He's not beating beating the top 3 for a few years. Why not continue to field a competitive team that could potentially luck into a banner, and build a winning culture, all while drafting the team that will replace the Cavs/spurs/dubs as their stars age or leave their teams?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved Empty Re: Bulpett: If an NBA blockbuster occurs, look for Celtics to be involved

Post by worcester Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm all for patience, building through the draft and picking up players thru trades or FA as available opportunistically.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:This narrative has been going on for a couple of years now. It makes some sense for reasons I don't have to go over for the folks on this board. However, I would argue that things have changed and the media have yet to fully realize it. The Celtics are no longer a "middling" team, destined for a 1st round playoff exit. They are number 2 in the east. That's eastern conference finals. And, what if LeBron got hurt? Does anyone really think Cleveland without LeBron is guaranteed to take the Celtics? I don't.  Thus, I think Danny has to be much more careful making a move. Celtics are already just below the warriors/cavs/Spurs. To surpass them would probably require one of the transcendent stars on one of those teams.  I just don't think Jimmy Butler is a big enough upgrade over AB to get them there. Boogie? Maybe, but that could also end up with the team going down in flames. Given how far they have come, and the difficulty of getting personnel to go further, I wonder if Danny might be more inclined to keep his picks. He's not beating beating the top 3 for a few years. Why not continue to field a competitive team that could potentially luck into a banner, and build a winning culture, all while drafting the team that will replace the Cavs/spurs/dubs as their stars age or leave their teams?

Shamrock

I agree with most of what you have stated.

DA is being careful because we are not looking for a makeover.  We just need to add more rebounding and develop our pups so that they can become more consistent at both ends.  There is a lot of talk that we need a reliable scorer off the bench and I do agree with that but that player may already be on the team or overseas or waiting for us to draft him.  On paper adding this player or that player may look appealing but I have never seen how paper translates into chemistry.  Chemistry is the single most important variable when putting together a contending team.

However, the Celtics cannot continue to add multiple draft picks to the team year after year.  At some point some of those picks should be moved because getting more experienced players would accelerate the team into contention.  

The Celtics have never had the #1 pick in the draft.  The Brooklyn pick this year could yield a tremendous future star or it could be used for a blockbuster trade.  My best guess and hope is that we retain that pick.  Next year's draft is loaded with 4's and 5's.  This years drafts has a nice selection of 1's, 2's and 3's.  Therefore if we use a pick to trade for a big that is a significant big we could use next year's pick (Nets or Ours)  in a trade.  If we are able to get a big now we may not look to draft another one next year. The options are plentiful. The clock is ticking and we will all find out what DA has in mind.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down