Raptors land Serge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:38 am

For Ross and 2017 first round pick.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by kdp59 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:50 am

wow..that's a pretty high price if you ask me.

I mean Ross not the late first rounder.

Orlando saves face for sure with this trade.
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3008
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by bobheckler on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:09 am

Jared WeissVerified account
‏@JaredWeissNBA

Follow
More
Jared Weiss Retweeted Jared Weiss
The Celtics weren't too interested in dealing a 1st and Rozier like Orlando wanted for Ibaka since they can use cap space in July.


Jared WeissVerified account
‏@JaredWeissNBA

Follow
More
Celtics would only move value assets for a player to put them over the top. With Love out for 6 weeks, that bar just got a little lower.
RETWEETS
9
LIKES
11



bob
MY NOTE: Danny wouldn't give up Rozier and a non-Nets 1st for Ibaka? Really?



.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32017
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by kdp59 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 am

wouldn't matter Bob, Toronto's offer was better.

Ross is better (though more expensive) and the first was for this coming draft.
avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3008
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by NYCelt on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:43 am

Good move for The Raptors, although a little pricey.  It does improve their roster right now, which isn't great news for us.  I think Serge needed to be in a different system than Orlando, and I think Toronto may be a better fit.

It had to be tempting to see what else we could put together with Orlando.  Ibaka in the frontcourt with Horford would be something to see.  Just add another shooter from this year's draft and Cleveland starts looking over their shoulder.

On the downside, however, that would have been building a frontcourt with two players who have seen better days.  Very short term.  As tough as it is to be patient, I think it's wiser to secure our shooter with that Nets pick, and see if we can draft, deal for, or maybe already have the forward we need in Zizic.
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 am

There is no guarantee that he will resign with them.  Still an upgrade move by them that will make the East a competitive fight.

I thought he would have been a good fit in Boston but DA is still pondering what to do and what not to do.

DA may not make a big time trade.  

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by cowens/oldschool on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:30 am

No question he is gonna help them, Ibaka can still play, no guarentee, but if it works out and all parties are happy, why wouldn't he stay?
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 11506
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by gyso on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:55 am

cowens/oldschool wrote: No question he is gonna help them, Ibaka can still play, no guarentee, but if it works out and all parties are happy, why wouldn't he stay?

Because it's Canada and they have to deal with customs every time they travel to and from. Maybe that is enough of an inconvenience, maybe not.

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 11108
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:42 am

http://nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-celtics-didnt-want-to-part-with-prospects-for-serge-ibaka/

DA could have landed Serge but it would have cost us Rozier and an unspecified first round pick.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by bobheckler on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:33 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/source-boston-celtics-werent-willing-re-sign-serge-ibaka-after-season-had-they-traded-him



SOURCE: C'S WEREN'T WILLING TO RE-SIGN IBAKA AFTER SEASON HAD THEY TRADED FOR HIM


By Kyle Draper


February 15, 2017 5:30 PM



BOSTON -- When the Toronto Raptors made the trade to acquire Serge Ibaka from the Orlando Magic, many questioned why the Celtics weren't able to pull off such a deal. Was it because they didn't want to part with Terry Rozier as one report suggested?

No, says one league source.

The source tells CSNNE there was no Ibaka trade for the Celtics because Boston had no interest in re-signing him to a new contract after this season.

Ibaka is set to be a free agent this offseason and will likely command a contract the Celtics are unwilling to match. According to the source the Celtics were not interested in trading away assets for someone they viewed as a two-to-three- month rental.

And regarding the report that said talks between the Celtics and Magic broke down because Boston was unwilling to part with Terry Rozier, the source tells CSNNE that's not true.

With so many assets, in the form of players and draft picks, Danny Ainge's phone is expected to be one of the busiest in the league leading up to next Thursday's trade deadline. Whether all the chatter turns into an actual trade, however, is yet to be seen.

One thing seems clear. Ainge and the Celtics will will not mortgage the future for short-term gains.



bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32017
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 am

Something is odd.  Can we assume that the Celtics never really engaged in discussion.  If they had no desire to resign him why would they waste the time to discuss a trade?

I suppose it is all a moot point.

dboss


Last edited by dboss on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by bobheckler on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 am

dboss wrote:Something is odd.  Can we assume that the Celtics never really engaged in discussion.  If they had no desire to resign him why would they waste the time to discuss a trade?

I suppose it is all a mute point.

dboss


Dboss,

Just hit the mute button. Lol.

bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 32017
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by wideclyde on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 am

If Ainge wants Ibaka in the summer he can make the guy an offer.

Ibaka may have helped us as he still can play, but there was no guarantee. All depended upon what Orlando had to have for him. If Rosier had been the only player going to Orlando the trade would not have gone down since there is about a 10M difference in salaries that no amount of draft picks could have filled.

wideclyde

Posts : 1076
Join date : 2015-12-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 pm

wideclyde wrote:If Ainge wants Ibaka in the summer he can make the guy an offer.

Ibaka may have helped us as he still can play, but there was no guarantee.  All depended upon what Orlando had to have for him.  If Rosier had been the only player going to Orlando the trade would not have gone down since there is about a 10M difference in salaries that no amount of draft picks could have filled.

I wondered about the salary difference too. We may not learn about the real details of the offer.

Celts need to do something.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by gyso on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 am

bobheckler wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/source-boston-celtics-werent-willing-re-sign-serge-ibaka-after-season-had-they-traded-him



SOURCE: C'S WEREN'T WILLING TO RE-SIGN IBAKA AFTER SEASON HAD THEY TRADED FOR HIM


By Kyle Draper


February 15, 2017 5:30 PM



BOSTON -- When the Toronto Raptors made the trade to acquire Serge Ibaka from the Orlando Magic, many questioned why the Celtics weren't able to pull off such a deal. Was it because they didn't want to part with Terry Rozier as one report suggested?

No, says one league source.

The source tells CSNNE there was no Ibaka trade for the Celtics because Boston had no interest in re-signing him to a new contract after this season.

Ibaka is set to be a free agent this offseason and will likely command a contract the Celtics are unwilling to match. According to the source the Celtics were not interested in trading away assets for someone they viewed as a two-to-three- month rental.

And regarding the report that said talks between the Celtics and Magic broke down because Boston was unwilling to part with Terry Rozier, the source tells CSNNE that's not true.

With so many assets, in the form of players and draft picks, Danny Ainge's phone is expected to be one of the busiest in the league leading up to next Thursday's trade deadline. Whether all the chatter turns into an actual trade, however, is yet to be seen.

One thing seems clear. Ainge and the Celtics will will not mortgage the future for short-term gains.



bob


.

I thought this old thread might be of interest to some, it suggests no interest in Ibaka by the Celtics.  Does anybody think that they have changed their minds?

gyso

_________________
avatar
gyso

Posts : 11108
Join date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by dboss on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 am

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/source-boston-celtics-werent-willing-re-sign-serge-ibaka-after-season-had-they-traded-him



SOURCE: C'S WEREN'T WILLING TO RE-SIGN IBAKA AFTER SEASON HAD THEY TRADED FOR HIM


By Kyle Draper


February 15, 2017 5:30 PM



BOSTON -- When the Toronto Raptors made the trade to acquire Serge Ibaka from the Orlando Magic, many questioned why the Celtics weren't able to pull off such a deal. Was it because they didn't want to part with Terry Rozier as one report suggested?

No, says one league source.

The source tells CSNNE there was no Ibaka trade for the Celtics because Boston had no interest in re-signing him to a new contract after this season.

Ibaka is set to be a free agent this offseason and will likely command a contract the Celtics are unwilling to match. According to the source the Celtics were not interested in trading away assets for someone they viewed as a two-to-three- month rental.

And regarding the report that said talks between the Celtics and Magic broke down because Boston was unwilling to part with Terry Rozier, the source tells CSNNE that's not true.

With so many assets, in the form of players and draft picks, Danny Ainge's phone is expected to be one of the busiest in the league leading up to next Thursday's trade deadline. Whether all the chatter turns into an actual trade, however, is yet to be seen.

One thing seems clear. Ainge and the Celtics will will not mortgage the future for short-term gains.



bob


.

I thought this old thread might be of interest to some, it suggests no interest in Ibaka by the Celtics.  Does anybody think that they have changed their minds?

gyso

Thanks for posting this.

While the information suggest that a source said no interest in resigning Serge, it does not give a reason.  As you know things do change.  However if Boston's focus is directed to using their cap space to resign their own up coming free agents or to target some other free agent it would explain why they did not engage in any trade talks with the Magic.

Nevertheless that was before the lack of quality bigs was fully exposed during the playoffs.  There are slim pickings at the free agent level for getting a quality big.  

We will see what happens over the next two months. Maybe CSNNE can go back to the source and update us.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6038
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by KyleCleric on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I would think he's a fit as a secondary FA target. Hayward and Griffin are the primary targets. It could be that Ainge didn't want to give up pieces for a half season rental when he knew that Ibaka wasn't going to be the primary target in the offseason. If we miss out on those two, Gallo, Milsap and Ibaka would be the next ones that I'd be targeting in FA.

KyleCleric

Posts : 264
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Raptors land Serge

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum