It would have at least looked better..................................

+2
tjmakz
wideclyde
6 posters

Go down

It would have at least looked better.................................. Empty It would have at least looked better..................................

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:45 am

By doing nothing to address this year's team' glaring weaknesses on the boards it kind of looks like Ainge was saying that
he was much more building for the future than trying to win this year.

With that said, trading either of the Nets picks for a rebounder would have been a gigantic mistake. In fact, trading either for
Butler or even George would have been a mistake that I was glad to see that Ainge did not make.

But, when Nerlins Noel was traded for two second round picks and a still very unproven young player, I would have given them
slightly more and take the chance that Noel would have helped us this year to the point of making him a priority to be signed
again for next year.

As young as the Cs are right now combined with all of their draft picks in the next three to four years there is very likely to
be any room for all of these potential picks on the roster.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

It would have at least looked better.................................. Empty Re: It would have at least looked better..................................

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 am

Brad Stevens said over all-star weekend that the Celtics haven't played as well as their record shows. Part of this is because they have had injuries to Horford and Bradley.
IT has been so heroic this season, that it has masked some of Boston's problems because they continue to get wins.
I am surprised that Boston did not make a move to get a big man, even if it meant giving up some 2nd rounders or a non-Nets 1st.
I don't think Boston will beat Cleveland, Washington or Toronto in a playoff series, especially with the additions of Ibaka and Tucker for Toronto.
As for not trading for Paul George, I kind of don't blame Danny for not pulling the trigger. If Paul is really hell bent on signing with the Lakers in 17 months, then it's smart to not give up any of the Nets picks for him.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

It would have at least looked better.................................. Empty Re: It would have at least looked better..................................

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 am

I think we'll regret not landing Noel - especially for so little. Fans in Philly are not happy to see him go. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:42 am

I guess they couldn`t peddle Okafur. I like Noel. Sullinger, anybody?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm

wideclyde wrote:By doing nothing to address this year's team' glaring weaknesses on the boards it kind of looks like Ainge was saying that

With that said, trading either of the Nets picks for a rebounder would have been a gigantic mistake.  In fact, trading either for
Butler or even George would have been a mistake that I was glad to see that Ainge did not make.

But, when Nerlins Noel was traded for two second round picks and a still very unproven young player, I would have given them
slightly more and take the chance that Noel would have helped us this year to the point of making him a priority to be signed
again for next year.

As young as the Cs are right now combined with all of their draft picks in the next three to four years there is very likely to

Mavs also get a conditional 1st round pick.

I was really shocked when I saw what the exchange rate was for Noel.

The issue is really one of style.  Listening to DA yesterday he talked a little bit about what they are really looking for.  He mentioned how a rebounder may help on the glass but if he cannot play on the outside he would just clog things up (or something to that effect)  He also mentioned that trades usually impact team chemistry when they are made late in the season.

This should clear some things up for us.  

Danny is only looking for players that can stretch the floor and is quite willing to sacrifice rebounding to do that.  This is why guys like Jerebko and KO will get preferred minutes over a Zeller or a Mickey.  This is why I think a player like Yabu may have more value than Zizic.

The one player that could have brought both rebounding and stretch capacity was Serge.  DA was obviously not willing to engage in contract negotiations with him after the season.  Nevertheless Toronto had no inhibitions to make a deal.  The judgement about that move will not be fully appreciated until after this year and then after Serge gets a new contract with some team.  My guess is that he will stay in Toronto.

Toronto is pretty much topped off at this point so their all in approach is a make it or break it gamble.

For Celtics fans we just have to see how things play out.  A trip to the ECF would be very acceptable even if we do not get past Cleveland but a loss in round 2 assuming we get out of round one may be looked upon as a big disappointment.

In either case we have an exciting draft to look forward to and so many other roster related actions that should be taking place over the summer.  If we do not get the #1 pick I can see DA trading it before or during the draft.

Danny also talked about Zizic's progress and sounded very encouraged.  I think we are going to see both Yabu and Zizic on the roster come next year.  If Boston is able to draft Fultz he will be a keeper.  If not then you may see a trade that upgrades the team.  

Overall Boston remains in a very favorable position with their picks and because they can clear a lot of salary off the books during the summer in anticipation for a major signing or trade.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:33 pm

dboss wrote:
wideclyde wrote:By doing nothing to address this year's team' glaring weaknesses on the boards it kind of looks like Ainge was saying that

With that said, trading either of the Nets picks for a rebounder would have been a gigantic mistake.  In fact, trading either for

again for next year.

The issue is really one of style.  Listening to DA yesterday he talked a little bit about what they are really looking for.  He mentioned how a rebounder may help on the glass but if he cannot play on the outside he would just clog things up (or something to that effect)  He also mentioned that trades usually impact team chemistry when they are made late in the season.

Danny is only looking for players that can stretch the floor and is quite willing to sacrifice rebounding to do that.  This is why guys like Jerebko and KO will get preferred minutes over a Zeller or a Mickey.  This is why I think a player like Yabu may have more value than Zizic.

The one player that could have brought both rebounding and stretch capacity was Serge.  DA was obviously not willing to engage in contract negotiations with him after the season.  Nevertheless Toronto had no inhibitions to make a deal.  The judgement about that move will not be fully appreciated until after this year and then after Serge gets a new contract with some team.  My guess is that he will stay in Toronto.

Toronto is pretty much topped off at this point so their all in approach is a make it or break it gamble.

For Celtics fans we just have to see how things play out.  A trip to the ECF would be very acceptable even if we do not get past Cleveland but a loss in round 2 assuming we get out of round one may be looked upon as a big disappointment.

In either case we have an exciting draft to look forward to and so many other roster related actions that should be taking place over the summer.  If we do not get the #1 pick I can see DA trading it before or during the draft.

Danny also talked about Zizic's progress and sounded very encouraged.  I think we are going to see both Yabu and Zizic on the roster come next year.  If Boston is able to draft Fultz he will be a keeper.  If not then you may see a trade that upgrades the team.  

Overall Boston remains in a very favorable position with their picks and because they can clear a lot of salary off the books during the summer in anticipation for a major signing or trade.

dboss

Dboss,

Excellent post.  Sums it all up well.  I think Noel's contract expectations along with his offensive limitations cooled Danny on him.  Zizic on a #23 rookie contract?  Sure, he'll take on a lane-clogger for that.  Noel for $15-20M?  No.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:38 pm

dboss wrote:

again for next year.

dboss

The Mavs didn't get a conditional 1st round pick.
They gave up their 2017 1st round pick (top 18 protected).
Since it will fall in the top 18, Philly will received the 2nd round picks from Dallas in 2017 and 2018.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down