The Nets Magic Number - Page 2 Empty Re: The Nets Magic Number

Post by worcester Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:53 am

Jeannie Buss should be hiring you Bob.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am

worcester wrote:Jeannie Buss should be hiring you Bob.

worcester,

1. I've already turned down lucrative job offers in LA. Not my type of place.

2. I'm not working for the Lakers. I don't wish evil on them, but I'm not going to help them neither.

3. On the other hand, we saw how she interacted another employee of hers. He's currently the GM in NY. Might be worth a second thought.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Plus she gave Phil fringe benefits.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 pm

worcester wrote:Plus she gave Phil fringe benefits.

yea and then cut them off.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm

But now Phil has had a chance to show that he is both the greatest coach and GM in NBA history. Look at how well he's done assembling a team on his own, one that didn't already have MJ and Scotty or Kobe and Shaq.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 pm

worcester wrote:But now Phil has had a chance to show that he is both the greatest coach and GM in NBA history. Look at how well he's done assembling a team on his own, one that didn't already have MJ and Scotty or Kobe and Shaq.

Not so well, embarrassingly not so well, Isiah Thomas not so well (actually worse).

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm

bobheckler wrote:The Lakers lost to Houston by 39 points last night.  Getting your brains beat in night after night is not good for development because you're only learning what isn't working and not what is.  It takes more than just minutes, it takes "successful and productive" minutes".  Jaylen Brown is getting successful and productive minutes, and is showing steady improvement, precisely because he is not being thrown to the wolves.  He is being put into situations he can have some success in.  He's mostly going against bench players, starters for only short periods.  Even when he started when Bradley was out he wasn't playing 30+ minutes against starters.  

I'm not the salary capologist here, GYSO is, but I believe a team cannot stretch a player if that player's salary is 15% or more of the salary cap.  The projected NBA salary cap for 2017-2018 is $103M.  

$103M x 15% = $15.45M.

Luol Deng will make $17.1M next year.  That makes him ineligible for stretching.

Timofey Mozgov will make $15.28M next year.  He could be stretched, assuming the cap is $103M.  If it is only $101.86M, then he wouldn't be eligible for stretching either because then he'd be 15% too.

Even if they are stretched, there's a reason why teams do not regularly stretch players they are done with.  Stretching Gerald Wallace would have been an easy decision to make if it was an easy decision to make.  I admired Wallace for what he brought to the locker room and the bench but, as a player, he was done.  Despite that, Danny didn't stretch his contract.  Stretching players, especially ones like Deng and Mozgov who have 3 more years on their contracts after this year, severely hamstrings teams from signing free agents for twice as many years as they would if they didn't stretch them.  Sure, you get short-term relief but over the next 6 years those contracts are being stretched over you are bringing your salary up closer to the cap.  We would not have been able to sign Horford this past summer if we had stretched Gerald Wallace 3 years ago.

Deng = $54M left over 3 years = $9M/year for 6 years
Mozgov = $48M left over 3 years = $8M/year for 6 years

If the Lakers can somehow stretch both of them this summer, that's $17M/year of cap space consumed for 6 years and no players to show for it.  If the cap goes down in a couple of years then $17M is a lot of money.  If they stretch Mozgov only, because they can't stretch Deng because he's over 15%, then that's still an $8M/year salary cap hit for 6 years.  You can get a pretty good player for $8M.  If we had stretched Gerald Wallace we would have had a $5M/year hit on our cap for 6 years.  Even with the higher cap today $8M is still money.  Put another way, that's $8M that's not available to throw at a max agent like Paul George.  And if you do pay George, where's your bench, how do you pay for them?  Not just next year, but for the next 5 years after that, since that's how long the cap hit will last.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/04/15/why-dont-nba-teams-use-the-stretch-provision-on-big-contracts/

bob

Bob,

There's no reason for the Lakers to stretch Mozgov or Deng after this season.
I doubt there's any free agents this summer they want to offer a 4 year contract to.
Plus, the minimum salary next year will be over $90m.
When a player is stretched, his salary is stretched over double the amount of years, plus 1.
So, a 3 year contract will be stretched over 7 years.

Any player can be stretched, regardless of salary.
Boston didn't want to stretch Wallace because they didn't need to.
Keeping his salary on the books was ok because Boston didn't need his salary to sign another player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 pm

The Knicks suck. Jeff Hornacek sucks. Phil Jackson sucks.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 am

bobheckler wrote:The Knicks suck.  Jeff Hornacek sucks.  Phil Jackson sucks.

bob

Don't get too agitated Bob.  This won't change anything.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 am

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:The Knicks suck.  Jeff Hornacek sucks.  Phil Jackson sucks.

bob

Don't get too agitated Bob.  This won't change anything.

Steve,

I know. The Nyets would have to become the GSW of yesteryear (although they still have the best record in the league despite their recent losses) and the Lakers and/or the Suns would have to organize a circular firing squad to change the outcome. I just felt like beating on those chumps for losing to a team, at home, that are horrible.

They are tuning Hornacek out and Phil Jackson is still trying to convince his players to play the triangle. I like Kyle O'Quinn, he's a bruiser after my own heart, but when he's your top scorer you know you're screwed.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 pm

When speaking of either of the NY teams, I could care less if either of them win even one more game--EVER!

The Nets (this year and also next year) because we own their draft picks and the Knicks- well just because they are the Knicks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

7.  With the loss to the Mavericks today the number is down to just 7 with 13 games left for the Nets and 13 left for the Lakers.  The Lakers are playing the Cavaliers later today, so assume they lose.

The Nets have 6 home games and 7 road games.  The Lakers have 9 home games and 4 road games.  Without looking at who their opponents will be it appears, at first blush, that the Nets have the tougher schedule and that's good for us.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:7.  With the loss to the Mavericks today the number is down to just 7 with 13 games left for the Nets and 13 left for the Lakers.  The Lakers are playing the Cavaliers later today, so assume they lose.

The Nets have 6 home games and 7 road games.  The Lakers have 9 home games and 4 road games.  Without looking at who their opponents will be it appears, at first blush, that the Nets have the tougher schedule and that's good for us.

bob

You can sleep well at night Bob.  Providing you have a good mattress.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pm

One long-time NBA GM to me just now: "There are 3, maybe 4, No. 1 picks in this draft -- Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson for sure. Maybe Jayson Tatum too. All of those guys have star potential. " Jackson certainly made his case today with an elite performance against Michigan State. He's the best two-way player in the draft.

Chad Ford, ESPN Senior Writer

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:One long-time NBA GM to me just now: "There are 3, maybe 4, No. 1 picks in this draft -- Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson for sure. Maybe Jayson Tatum too. All of those guys have star potential. " Jackson certainly made his case today with an elite performance against Michigan State. He's the best two-way player in the draft.

Chad Ford, ESPN Senior Writer

bob

sad none of those guy are 6 '11/260 and love to block, rebound and pulverize those who dare step into the paint with them, then rip off the poor SOB;s mothers arms off for good measure. lol!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 am

Still stuck on 7 because the Nyets are winning. They are 5-5 in their last 10 games.

Brooklyn @ Washington tonight. That should take a little starch out of their pants.

Minny (28-42) visiting Lakers tonight. The Lakers could win that, if they really want to. Not likely, of course, the Lakers suck, but Minny isn't great neither although they have one of the top defenses since the All-Star break.

Sunday, Brooklyn @ Atlanta. Probably another loss. Portland (33-38) at Lakers.

NOT a fan of Brooklyn winning streaks, even if it is just 2 games and one of them was a buzzer beater.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:49 pm

bobheckler wrote:Still stuck on 7 because the Nyets are winning.  They are 5-5 in their last 10 games.

Brooklyn @ Washington tonight.  That should take a little starch out of their pants.

Minny (28-42) visiting Lakers tonight.  The Lakers could win that, if they really want to.  Not likely, of course, the Lakers suck, but Minny isn't great neither although they have one of the top defenses since the All-Star break.

Sunday, Brooklyn @ Atlanta.  Probably another loss.  Portland (33-38) at Lakers.

NOT a fan of Brooklyn winning streaks, even if it is just 2 games and one of them was a buzzer beater.

bob

We have a pretty fat cushion but it's not fun watching the Lakers and Phoenix desperate to lose every game while Bkln is desperately trying to win every game.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Still stuck on 7 because the Nyets are winning.  They are 5-5 in their last 10 games.

Brooklyn @ Washington tonight.  That should take a little starch out of their pants.

Minny (28-42) visiting Lakers tonight.  The Lakers could win that, if they really want to.  Not likely, of course, the Lakers suck, but Minny isn't great neither although they have one of the top defenses since the All-Star break.

Sunday, Brooklyn @ Atlanta.  Probably another loss.  Portland (33-38) at Lakers.

bob

We have a pretty fat cushion but it's not fun watching the Lakers and Phoenix desperate to lose every game while Bkln is desperately trying to win every game.

Steve,

This is precisely what I was worried about at the beginning of the season.  There is NO incentive for Brooklyn to lose while we all know that at this point in the season the bottom of the league tries to go even lower.  Our 8-9 game cushion is down to 5 with 10 games left.  

Here's their schedule the rest of the way:

Brooklyn - 4 home, 11 away, 1 b2b

@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Philadelphia
@ Detroit
Orlando
Atlanta (Orlando/Atlanta are b2bs)
@ Philadelphia
@ Orlando
Chicago
@ Boston
@ Chicago

LA - 7 home, 4 away, 0 b2b

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
@ San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
@ GSW

I'm chalking up the Washington, Atlanta and Boston games as definite losses for Brooklyn.  All 3 of us have something to play for.  There's 4.  For the Lakers, I'm thinking they a chance to win vs the gutted Sacto Kings and maybe one our of 3 vs Minny.  There's 2, bringing us to 6.  There could be, and probably will be, other losses for Brooklyn and maybe the Lakers will win both home games vs Minny.  Brooklyn has a b2b, that's harder, and more road games.  The Philly road game should be tough for them too.  I just want to ice this ASAP and not have to keep looking over their shoulders.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:

bob

Steve,

This is precisely what I was worried about at the beginning of the season.  There is NO incentive for Brooklyn to lose while we all know that at this point in the season the bottom of the league tries to go even lower.  Our 8-9 game cushion is down to 5 with 10 games left.  

@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Philadelphia
@ Detroit
Orlando
@ Philadelphia
@ Orlando
Chicago
@ Boston
@ Chicago

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
@ San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
@ GSW

I'm chalking up the Washington, Atlanta and Boston games as definite losses for Brooklyn.  All 3 of us have something to play for.  There's 4.  For the Lakers, I'm thinking they a chance to win vs the gutted Sacto Kings and maybe one our of 3 vs Minny.  There's 2, bringing us to 6.  There could be, and probably will be, other losses for Brooklyn and maybe the Lakers will win both home games vs Minny.  Brooklyn has a b2b, that's harder, and more road games.  The Philly road game should be tough for them too.  I just want to ice this ASAP and not have to keep looking over their shoulders.

bob

Hey Bob - Do you want the Celtics to lose to Phoenix tonight? I thought not.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
steve3344 wrote:

bob

Steve,

@ Washington
@ Atlanta
Philadelphia
@ Detroit
Orlando
@ Philadelphia
@ Orlando
Chicago
@ Boston
@ Chicago

Minnesota
Portland
Washington
@ Minnesota
@ Clippers
Memphis
@ San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
@ GSW

bob

Hey Bob - Do you want the Celtics to lose to Phoenix tonight? I thought not.

Steve,

1. I NEVER want the Celtics to lose. Ever.
2. I'm not worried about the 22-50 Suns as much as with the 20-51 Lakers. The Lakers truly suck and could easily lose every game left.

Where I am torn is between Brooklyn and Washington tonight. I want the Nets to lose but it would help the Celtics if Washington fell another game behind in the loss column. I guess I'll root for Washington. We are 2 games up in the loss column over Washington and have an easier schedule. We'll play hard and try to win them all from here out. Lakers? No such confidence.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Brooklyn lost, so now the number is 6.

Lakers to play Minny later tonight.

Go Lakers!
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:27 am

Lakers come from behind to beat the Wolves @ Staples.  Wiggins with 36.  His counterpart, Brandon Ingram, with 11.

This might be the last win we get out of the Lakers, so I'll take it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:57 pm

The Nets beat Atlanta in Atlanta.

Still 5.

SHIT.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Philly beats Brooklyn in Brooklyn.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 am

Wizards beat the Lakers in LA.  LA was ahead by 13 after 3 and lost by 11.  That's a 24 point turnaround in 12 minutes.  The Wizards scored 37 points in the 4th and the Lakers scored 13.  That is a complete implosion on offense and defense.  How is allowing young players who don't know how to win in the NBA get disassembled like that part of a "player development" plan that makes sense?  There are more than one way to learn besides being on the court and getting humiliated.

It's for the pick?  If the Lakers get the 4th pick or lower they don't own it so losing increasing the odds of getting a top 3 pick?  I would argue that developing these kids right will produce more good next year than stunting their growth with debacles like this and adding another young player.  The Lakers are plenty young enough already, they don't need the youth infusion.  

This is not a anti-Laker rant from a Celtic fan.  I was rooting for LA last night, and will continue to root for them until the Nyets secure the worst record and then they can lose all they want (or win all they want, I don't care).  I just hate tanking and tanking "to develop the kids" like LA and Phoenix are doing is just as bad as tanking for the pick like Philly did under Hinkie.  The only thing getting pounded into paste teaches you is that you suck, and that's not a constructive learning environment.  Kelly Olynyk averaged 20mpg in his rookie year despite the fact that we were only heading towards a 25-win season.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next