Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon

3 posters

Go down

Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon Empty Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/danny-ainge-explains-why-he-didnt-draft-malcolm-brogdon

Audio Interview:
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/danny-ainge-explains-why-he-didnt-draft-malcolm-brogdon?guid=6__xuxZaj77uU6KFEZG_TTsGbc87iSjV&t=3

RELATED BONUS STORY:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/03/malcolm_brogdon_boston_celtics.html#incart_river_index

Malcolm Brogdon: Boston Celtics told me how interested they were before the draft

Updated on March 30, 2017 at 6:54 AM Posted on March 30, 2017 at 6:00 AM

Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon 22386375-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas (4) shoots a three-point shot against the defense of Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon (13) during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, in Boston. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)

BY JAY KING

BOSTON -- Malcolm Brogdon tortured the Boston Celtics down the stretch Wednesday night and might frustrate the organization for years if he turns a strong rookie season into a long, distinguished career.

As June's NBA draft approached, Brogdon believed the Celtics were one of the teams highest on him. During one lunch meeting with team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, Brogdon said, the Celtics front office made that clear, telling the University of Virginia product how much they appreciated his game.

"They told me how interested they were," Brogdon told MassLive.com after burning the Celtics over the final minutes of a 103-100 Bucks win. "But things didn't work out."

From the top of the front office down, sources said, the Celtics trusted in Brogdon's character and believed he had the makeup to maximize his talent. Head coach Brad Stevens actually recruited Brogdon to Butler years ago and has nothing but high praise for the rookie's game.

"He's not a rookie," Stevens said Wednesday after watching Brogdon record 16 points and nine assists, including a slew of crunch-time plays. " And I say that with complete respect to him. Like, that guy, he knows how to play. He's known how to play for a long time. He was a tremendous college player who was an ultimate winner, and he's just picked right up where he left off."

The Celtics entered draft night with five second-round choices, including two (Nos. 31 and 35) before the Bucks made Brogdon the 36th overall pick. But instead of using those early second-round picks, the Celtics packaged them in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers. Boston received a future first-rounder (which, because of protections, could potentially turn into a second-rounder). In some corners of the Boston front office, there was surprise that Ainge, a Brogdon fan, passed on the chance to take the poised youngster.

One reason the Celtics declined to select Brogdon, a source said, was a desire to keep playing time open for lottery pick Jaylen Brown. There was concern that Brogdon, a more accomplished college player, would have eaten into Brown's opportunities early in his career.

It's possible the Celtics also misjudged how much Brogdon would produce at the NBA level. During his debut season, he has averaged 10.3 points and 4.3 assists while shooting 45.7 percent from the field, 40.4 percent from the 3-point arc and 86.5 percent from the free throw line. Though he may not have the same upside as younger, more athletic players, Brogdon has made a strong case for the Rookie of the Year award. While doing so, he has quieted any concerns about his long-range shooting and even taken over point guard responsibilities in Milwaukee, an impressive development considering he spent his college years on the wing.

"Not at all (surprised)," Stevens said. "He has been a winner from Day 1. I'm not surprised by Malcolm Brogdon at all. He's an impressive young man."

Wednesday, that impressive young man accounted for the Bucks' final 10 points -- three buckets and two assists -- while hitting the shot of the night, an obscene fadeaway over Avery Bradley:

https://twitter.com/ChatSports/status/847270440598884352

"I have a lot of respect for Brogdon," Stevens said. "He's tough."

"I thought they were one of the teams that were (most interested)," Brogdon said. "But they ended up being another team that passed me up. So I like playing against them. I want to come in here and play well every time I play them."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon Empty Re: Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon

Post by swish Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:34 pm

He's a perfect example of a player with great college credentials - from a very strong conference where he averaged 18 points per game - shot .498 on his 2 point fga's, .391 on his 3 point fga's - and was 1st team college all- american - not taken until the 2nd round because scouting is more focused on the future potential of a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds. They offer Late round possibilities of instant help at bargain prices.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon Empty Re: Danny Explains Why He Didn't Draft Malcolm Brogdon

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm

swish wrote:He's a perfect example of a player with great college credentials - from a very strong conference where he averaged 18 points per game - shot .498 on his 2 point fga's, .391 on his 3 point fga's - and was 1st team college all- american - not taken until the 2nd round because scouting is more focused on the future potential of a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds. They offer Late round possibilities of instant help at bargain prices.

swish

Swish,

There is a certainly element of irony, as well as blunt truth in your post.

The irony is the situation where an "old" senior of 24 gets passed on because, in essence, 'he may be more NBA ready, but we can see that he's all that he's going to be.' Huh?  That's a paraphrase of something I keep reading in scouting reports.  Meantime teams fight over the right to draft that young 19 or 20-year old you mention based on potential.  That's brought a lot of James Young types into the league.

I won't criticize the Celtics front office for not getting itself into position to take Brogdon, they had plenty of good company.  But it points out what you say as true; good late round possibilities exist with some upperclassmen.  Guys like Brogdon do pop up once in a while.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

NYCelt wrote:
swish wrote:He's a perfect example of a player with great college credentials - from a very strong conference where he averaged 18 points per game - shot .498 on his 2 point fga's, .391 on his 3 point fga's - and was 1st team college all- american - not taken until the 2nd round because scouting is more focused on the future potential of a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds. They offer Late round possibilities of instant help at bargain prices.

swish

Swish,

There is a certainly element of irony, as well as blunt truth in your post.

The irony is the situation where an "old" senior of 24 gets passed on because, in essence, 'he may be more NBA ready, but we can see that he's all that he's going to be.' Huh?  That's a paraphrase of something I keep reading in scouting reports.  Meantime teams fight over the right to draft that young 19 or 20-year old you mention based on potential.  That's brought a lot of James Young types into the league.

I won't criticize the Celtics front office for not getting itself into position to take Brogdon, they had plenty of good company.  But it points out what you say as true; good late round possibilities exist with some upperclassmen.  Guys like Brogdon do pop up once in a while.

Regards

NYCelt

I like your below comment

" an "old" senior of 24 gets passed on because, in essence, 'he may be more NBA ready, but we can see that he's all that he's going to be.' Huh? "

Sounds to me like a perfect late round pick for a good team looking for instant help in their quest for a championship.

swish

Last edited by swish on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rewording)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down