Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore

4 posters

Go down

Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore Empty Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:37 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Jerry-West-doesn-t-want-to-be-on-the-NBA-logo-11059971.php

Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore

Des Bieler, The Washington Post Updated 9:40 am, Saturday, April 8, 2017

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Jerry-West-doesn-t-want-to-be-on-the-NBA-logo-11059971.php

Jerry West, whose silhouette is the basis for the NBA’s iconic logo, wishes the NBA would change to a new logo.
Media: Sports Illustrated

When it comes to sports nicknames, Jerry West may have them all beat - it doesn't get much cooler than "The Logo." But the man whose silhouette adorns the NBA's graphic representation thinks it's high time someone else was handed the honor.

"I wish that it had never gotten out that I'm the logo," the 78-year-old West said on ESPN's "The Jump" Friday. "I really do. I've said it more than once, and it's flattering if that's me - and I know it is me - but it is flattering.

"But to me, I played in a time when they first started to try to market the league. There were five people that they were going to consider, and I didn't find out about it until the late commissioner [J. Walter Kennedy] told me about it. . . .

"Again, it's flattering. But if I were the NBA, I would be embarrassed about it. I really would."

The logo was created in 1969 by a designer and former high school basketball star named Alan Siegel, who told the Los Angeles Times in 2010 that none of the "40 or 50 designs" he showed Kennedy featured anyone other than West. A childhood friend of the legendary sports reporter Dick Schaap, Siegel was allowed access to Sport magazine's photo archives and found what he wanted in a photo by Wen Roberts.

"It had a nice flavor to it," Siegel told the Times, "so I took that picture and we traced it. It was perfect. It was vertical and it had a sense of movement. It was just one of those things that clicked."

When asked Friday why he said he was embarrassed, West said, "I don't know, I don't like to do anything to call attention to myself, and when people say that, it's just not who I am, period. If they would want to change it, I wish they would. In many ways, I wish they would."

bob
MY NOTE:  Speaking as a green-blooded Celtic fan I'm just fine with the only player to ever win the Finals MVP while being on the losing team be the logo.  Jerry West was a helluva player.  27ppg career, with no 3pter.  In his last two years, at ages 34 and 35, he averaged a mere 22.8 and 20.3ppg in over 30mpg both years.  That's pretty damn impressive.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore Empty Re: Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore

Post by wideclyde Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 pm

I bet that Evan Turner would throw his name into the hat if self nominations were going to be accepted for the position of the next "logo". I m sure that he already has a replica of himself in the pose.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore Empty Re: Jerry West doesn't want to be on the NBA logo anymore

Post by willjr Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:47 pm

If it was up to me... "tough luck Jerry, you're staying"! The logo is both esthetic and iconic, it is perfect. The one thing I don't want to see occur is a groundswell for a change to the Nike jump man.
BTW, the MLB logo is Harmon Killebrew in silhouette.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:46 pm

willjr wrote:If it was up to me... "tough luck Jerry, you're staying"! The logo is both esthetic and iconic, it is perfect. The one thing I don't want to see occur is a groundswell for a change to the Nike jump man.
BTW, the MLB logo is Harmon Killebrew in silhouette.

Just a rumor that it is Killibrew I've heard this before, it is really no one in particular

Legend of the MLB logo: Designer says it's not Killebrew - USA Today
USA Today › sports › baseball › twins
May 18, 2011 - Legend of the MLB logo: Designer says it's not Killebrew. MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Harmon Killebrew, so the story went, was such the slugger that the silhouette of his intimidating pose at the plate was the basis for Major League Baseball's official logo.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down