Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance

3 posters

Go down

Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance Empty Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:22 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/04/marcus_smart_and_boston_celtic.html

Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance

Posted on April 14, 2017 at 3:35 PM

Marcus Smart takes shooting pointers from Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga

BY JAY KING

WALTHAM -- After practice Friday afternoon, Boston Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga helped guard Marcus Smart with an unorthodox shooting drill. As Smart attempted a series of 3-pointers, Larranaga held his hand on the player's back, making sure Smart wouldn't lean backward during his release.

The initiative (video above) is the latest attempt to tweak Smart's shooting form, which has resulted in career 29.1-percent accuracy from behind the arc.

"It's just to keep my balance, really," Smart said. "Just shooting it through contact and just really staying focused on the shot. We've been doing it for a while."

Smart said he and Larranaga -- who set a number of 3-point records at Bowling Green before a long and successful overseas playing career -- do the drill every day.

"I come, get my shots up, and just really focus on shooting through the contact," Smart said.

In his third season, the rugged competitor has shown real progress in the low post and pick-and-rolls, but still hasn't figured out the art of putting the ball through the basket. The issues deepened after the All-Star break, when he dipped all the way to 23.2-percent 3-point shooting on more than four attempts per game.

Smart has worked on altering pieces of his shot before. During the offseason, he tried to eliminate dropping the ball well below his waste before starting his release. But nothing has stuck. The guard has gone through stretches of shotmaking, but has also suffered through long periods of startling inaccuracy.

"They're not falling, but I'm putting in the work," Smart said. "So it's just a matter of time."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance Empty Re: Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance

Post by worcester Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:40 pm

If I'm Celtics management I'd ask Jay Larrange, "How could you let Marcus practice shot after shot with his right foot touching or over the 3 point line?"

Perfect practice makes perfect play. Imperfect practice makes for imperfect play. Unless I'm wrong about being credited for a 3 pointer, don't your feet have to be behind the line? I simply can't understand a player practicing with a foot on the line, nor can I get a coach not pointing that out. Baffles me.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance Empty Re: Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics assistant coach work on shooting balance

Post by wideclyde Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm

worcester,

AND, more important than where his feet are might be to watch the video to focus on what Marcus does with his shooting hand and head immediately after the ball rolls off his middle and index finger.

It seemed to me that his success rate was way better when he kept his head still just a click of time longer as well as held his finish (with his hand) a tad longer that all of his shots were going in.

I would love to be able to see a whole bunch of his game three pointers as I am guessing that the 'mades' have longer head and hand "finish" than the 'misses'.

This is a small, but very important, part of shooting that is often ignored. Probably comes from young guys listening to some dumb coaches back in the day who emphasized "follow your shot" instructions.

Just shoot the ball and follow its flight into the net. Don't worry about a rebound, don't worry about anything else. Just shoot the ball and watch it until it goes in. Works from all distances, too.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:35 pm

So right wideclyde.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down