Exciting news ..............

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exciting news ..............

Post by beat on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

As some of you know Marcus will Graduate from Syracuse next month with a degree in sports management and a couple of minors in economics and poly sci.
He has had some interviews with a couple of large university's already but nothing firm. ECU and U of Illinois were on the phone with him recently looking for a men's basketball video coordinator which is what he did at SU.

Well today I just got off the phone with him and apparently he has an opportunity to work in the NBA.

The person he worked with last year in the WNBA in Chicago got a job last year in the NBA doing video work for a team. He called Marcus as they needed another person on the staff. Don't know all the details but I think he was more or less just looking for my blessing which of course was a simple GO FOR IT !!

So apparently at the young age of 22 he will begin work Sept 1 for .......are you ready.

The LAKERS.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Re: Exciting news ..............

Post by Matty on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 pm

beat wrote:As some of you know Marcus will Graduate from Syracuse next month with a degree in sports management and a couple of minors in economics and poly sci.  
He has had some interviews with a couple of large university's already but nothing firm. ECU and U of Illinois were on the phone with him recently looking for a men's basketball video coordinator which is what he did at SU.

Well today I just got off the phone with him and apparently he has an opportunity to work in the NBA.  

The person he worked with last year in the WNBA in Chicago got a job last year in the NBA doing video work for a team. He called Marcus as they needed another person on the staff. Don't know all the details but I think he was more or less just looking for my blessing which of course was a simple GO FOR IT !!  

So apparently at the young age of 22 he will begin work Sept 1 for .......are you ready.

The LAKERS.  

beat

A part of me wants to say congratulations...  lol!
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 pm

TRAITOR Lol !!! that's awesome beat
cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 pm

BEAT CONGRAD'S TO YOUR SON!

I WOULD ENCOURAGE HIM TO STICK IT OUT AS THEY WILL TREAT HIM AS A ROOKIE AND GIVE HIM THE WORST ASSIGNMENTS....BUT THAT TACTIC IS USED To MEASURE HIS TEMPERAMENT AND WORK ETHIC!

WAY TO GO!

Last edited by 112288 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm

I USED to like that kid, not sure where you went wrong Beat?

Actually that is totally awesome congrats to Marcus!
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Congrats to Marcus - perhaps a little blood transfusion will be in order for the two of you - with at least a little bleeding of purple and gold.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 am

Any job for a new grad is cause for celebration.
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 am

If Paul Pierce can grow up as a Lakers fan and turn out to be listed amongst the all time Celtics greats, Marcus can start along the opposite path at first, as long as he is careful.

Congratulations, Marcus.

The Force is strong in this one. Remember, do not follow the dark side.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am

That's great, beat!  Gotta start somewhere, doesn't mean you have to finish there.  I've got two words to pass on to him, "Industrial Espionage".  :-)

Kudos to the Lakers organization for hiring a young'un who is not a local.  Did they ask him what team he roots for?  Major bonus credit to the Lakers if they know he's a Celtic fan and hired him anyway.  That would be putting talent ahead of loyalty and that's smart business.  I've always said nice things about Jeannie and how she runs her business.

I guess you'll get to see why people live in CA, especially in December - March.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

bobheckler wrote:That's great, beat!  Gotta start somewhere, doesn't mean you have to finish there.  I've got two words to pass on to him, "Industrial Espionage".  :-)

Kudos to the Lakers organization for hiring a young'un who is not a local.  Did they ask him what team he roots for?  Major bonus credit to the Lakers if they know he's a Celtic fan and hired him anyway.  That would be putting talent ahead of loyalty and that's smart business.  I've always said nice things about Jeannie and how she runs her business.

I guess you'll get to see why people live in CA, especially in December - March.

bob

Don't know many details at all. Like who actually will be hiring him.
His friend that works for them worked with Marcus last summer in Chicago. He is from Massachusetts and is or at least was a diehard Celtic fan.

Although they may work for the purple and gold............they will still bleed green.

Hope to find out a bit more soon

beat

beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Beat,

That's fantastic!  Please congratulate Marcus for me!

When you think about it, it's perfect justice...The Lakers will be paying a Celtic fan.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 pm

NYCelt wrote:Beat,

When you think about it, it's perfect justice...The Lakers will be paying a Celtic fan.

Regards

WISH IT WAS CLOSER

I HATE FLYING

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 pm

beat wrote:

Regards

WISH IT WAS CLOSER

I HATE FLYING

beat

You're retired now.

How about a nice, long, leisurely, cross-country trip?

Rent a convertible!
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:55 pm

NYCelt wrote:
beat wrote:

Regards

WISH IT WAS CLOSER

I HATE FLYING

beat

You're retired now.

How about a nice, long, leisurely, cross-country trip?

Rent a convertible!

Or take a train.  $225 one-way Syracuse-to-LA.  Takes 2 days, but you're the one who doesn't want to fly and be there in 8 hours for $400 r/t.  And that's leaving today.  If you book now for, say, September 12th (before pre-season starts) and do it one-way the price is $200 (still cheaper than the train) and you can take the train home, making stops in some cool places like the Grand Canyon, Colorado (Rocky Mountains) and South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore).  Or, you could take the southern route and do Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. OR, do the train with the stops on the way there, during the summertime, and get to LA in August/September to help Marcus move into his new place.

NYCelt is right.  You're retired.  Having this type of time and flexibility is the payoff for all your years of hard work and service to your community, beat.  Why would you put in all that time and not take time out when it's yours to take?

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Bob has some good idea's. I don't know if you have ever seen the grand canyon yet but its beyond worth it. and that's just from above, getting into the dern thing is a whole 'nuther story. They say seeing the Canyon in pictures doesn't do it justice and "they" (whoever the crap "they" are) are right. By the same degree getting into the canyon as compared to just seeing it from above just takes the entire experience to a whole new level. I'm looking into the possibility of a November trip and also a trip next may with family back there.

The Dakota's are also amazing, actually step back West for a second and the entire area just west and south of the Dakota's is amazing. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone (I'm going shooting there next month) Custer then once in the Dakota's- Roosevelt National Park, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument (which is unfinished but even more amazing to me than Rushmore) Wind Cave National Park, also there's Deadwood... Deadwood is like a mini Vegas and even boasts a few cute girls.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Matty wrote:Bob has some good idea's. I don't know if you have ever seen the grand canyon yet but its beyond worth it. and that's just from above, getting into the dern thing is a whole 'nuther story.  They say seeing the Canyon in pictures doesn't do it justice and "they" (whoever the crap "they" are) are right. By the same degree getting into the canyon as compared to just seeing it from above just takes the entire experience to a whole new level.  I'm looking into the possibility of a November trip and also a trip next may with family back there.

The Dakota's are also amazing, actually step back West for a second and the entire area just west and south of the Dakota's is amazing. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone (I'm going shooting there next month) Custer then once in the Dakota's- Roosevelt National Park, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument (which is unfinished but even more amazing to me than Rushmore) Wind Cave National Park, also there's Deadwood... Deadwood is like a mini Vegas and even boasts a few cute girls.

Unfortunately there are issues regarding my mom which effectively prevents any lengthy time away right now and for the near future.

The train does sound like an interesting option.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Beat,

Congrats about your son.
Getting his foot in the door in the NBA at a young age is rare.
It's funny he will be working for the hated Lakers.
I hope this is a start for a great career for him.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words it is sort of exciting for him. We both know his future is NOT in this area and the though of a 22 YO working for a well established NBA team is something he has dreamed of....he just never imagined this opportunity would happen so quickly.

Getting information out of the lad is a bit like getting Trump to release his tax returns but I did manage to get a little clarification on some things after chatting with him this morning.

The young man he worked with in Chicago with the WNBA team last summer got a job as an assistant video coordinator for the Lakers, seems like a nice guy and I met him when I went out to Chicago and the 3 of us went to a Cubs game and sat int he owner  of the Chicago Sky's (WNBA) box seats so I got to chat with him for a couple hours.

Anyway seems there is a HEAD Video coordinator and 2 assistants. Well the head video coordinator left or IS leaving to coach a new NBA D league team next season and Marcus's buddy was promoted to head coordinator. And he was told to fill his position and the first person he thought of was Marcus. Essentially according to Marcus the job is his all he has to do is say yes which he will once the head video guy gets back from his vacation in about 2 weeks.  

He still plans on heading to Indy after graduation to work for his old boss from the Chicago Sky WNBA team ( Pokey Chatman ). She got fired from Chicago after the season, but was hired by the Indiana Fever of the WNBA. She contacted Marcus about working for her. So he'll head out there, live with his cousin whom happens to live and work very close to Indianapolis for a couple months and try to stash some cash before he heads out to LA in September.

beat

PS: him and his sister are heading to BOSTON as I type this to watch game 5 live, me I'll watch on TV.......he managed to scurf up a pair of decent tickets at a reasonable price. As they say on TV the GAMES are NEVER SOLD OUT !!
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

Beat,

Having met your kids when they were incredibly polite and hard-working middle and high school students, it's nice to see that they have turned out so well as young adults.  Great job, dad, you should be very proud!

I still mention Marcus as an example to my son.  In Marcus-like fashion, he's maintaining honor-roll status and played his first game for his middle school team yesterday.  Not the big lefty that your son was, our righty played CF and SS yesterday and may pitch today.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Dean

Don't miss a moment. Cause in a flash it's over. Wish I knew what happened to Marcus 's shoulder but in retrospect even 80 mph fastball wouldn't have gotten him a look on any level.

So he chased a different dream and that one appears on the verge of becoming reality.

One small regret is not being able to share this with Sam.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

beat wrote:Dean

Don't miss a moment.  Cause in a flash it's over.  Wish I knew what happened to Marcus 's shoulder but in retrospect even 80 mph fastball wouldn't have gotten him a look on any level.  

So he chased a different dream and that one appears on the verge of becoming reality.

One small regret is not being able to share this with Sam.  

beat

Sam would have been so delighted, the fact he held your family in high regard was apparent to everyone here.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Beat, Lakers or not, what a wonderful opportunity for Marcus!  I feel as if we have seen him grow for years. What a wonderful young man, you should be proud, you and your wife have done good!!!!!!  Sam would have been thrilled for all of you.

Congratulations to Marcus, and you and your family. Good things happen to good people.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top