Should Danny Take a Run At Millsap?

Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_lcap29%Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_lcap71%Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_lcap0%Paul Millsap anyone? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Paul Millsap anyone? Empty Paul Millsap anyone?

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:58 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245781/Paul-Millsap-Looking-To-Expand-This-See-Where-Hawks-Can-Go

Paul Millsap 'Looking To Expand This, See Where Hawks Can Go'

APR 28, 2017 10:55 PM

Paul Millsap will be a free agent this offseason and his future with the Atlanta Hawks remains very much in doubt.

The Hawks considered trading Millsap this season before eventually deciding to keep him.

"It's been great, said Millsap after the Hawks were eliminated from the playoffs. "I'm looking to expand this and see where the franchise can go. These last four years has been great. I couldn't ask for anything more.

"I'm going to take some time, relax, and see what happens," said Millsap.

Atlanta can offer Millsap an extra guaranteed season on his contract.

bob
MY NOTE: He has a 'player option' for $21.4M.  He is trying to decide what to do, as the following article says.  Assuming he declines his player option with Atlanta and looks to play somewhere else, would you be interested in seeing him in green next year?  Suppose he cost $25M?  $28M?  How about offering him that kind of money on a 1+1 like Amir and Jonas?

He's 32 years old but still got game, for sure.  We've seen him destroy us almost single-handedly many times.  This season he averaged 18ppg during the season and 24ppg during the playoffs and upped his fg% from 44.2% to 50.5%.  He is a 4x All-Star and a 2x All-League player.  He might be expensive but he is definitely an upgrade over Amir, maybe even Amir AND Jonas combined, and, if Danny can't get Butler/George/fill_in_the_blank and has to wait another year or two for the next high quality free agent market then why not a short-term rental to keep us up near the top and deeper into the playoffs?  We might have trouble getting past LeBron for another couple of years, so why not build our youth while competing and be ready when LeBron retires or his body starts to break down?  The article says that Atlanta can offer him an extra year on the contract but would they?  Would they offer a 32 year old player a 5-year contract?  If not, then that negotiating edge is moot.  He liked playing with Horford, he might not like playing with The Dwightmare.  Teague is gone. Korver is gone. The Hawks are in a bit of disarray having been beaten in 6 by a team that isn't supposed to be much better than them, but Atlanta swooned in the 2nd half of the season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millspa01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Paul Millsap anyone? Empty Re: Paul Millsap anyone?

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:42 pm

yeah...I'm NOT for putting that Hawks team back together, sorry.

bad enough Danny overpaid for Horford, the last thing we need is another overpaid and undersized big man.

the next big man we get needs to have some size. I am tired of looking at our team and seeing us undersized in almost every position. Just my thoughts.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:22 pm

kdp59 wrote:yeah...I'm NOT for putting that Hawks team back together, sorry.

bad enough Danny overpaid for Horford, the last thing we need is another overpaid and undersized big man.

the next big man we get needs to have some size. I am tired of looking at our team and seeing us undersized in almost every position. Just my thoughts.

^^^This.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:04 pm

The free agent class does not appear to be very strong to me. At least looking at it with the Cs biggest needs in mind.

I could look at Millsap if he were to consider a contract like Bob mentioned-one year guaranteed and a team option year. He is still a very decent player, but I certainly would not be interested in him beyond two years, and would very much doubt that he is interested in a one year guarantee type deal.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Too old and too expensive plus we got some ballers in the wings.

Celts need to lock up AB and IT and they need a long look at the bigs they drafted last year.

Not looking to see Boston  become the Atlanta Hawks.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:17 pm

kdp59 is right, it would be like putting back that Hawks team from a few years ago that always exited in the 2nd round.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 am

wideclyde wrote:The free agent class does not appear to be very strong to me. At least looking at it with the Cs biggest needs in mind.

I could look at Millsap if he were to consider a contract like Bob mentioned-one year guaranteed and a team option year.  He is still a very decent player, but I certainly would not be interested in him beyond two years, and would very much doubt that he is interested in a one year guarantee type deal.

well EVERYTHING is based on price. But if Milsap is giving up over $20M with Atlanta next year, one would assume he will want more than that signing elsewhere. That or he and his agent are kinda stupid.

here is a good updated list of FA's for next season.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/26/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

I've been saying for a while that in this coming FA class, Ibaka and to a lesser degree Taj Gibson are possible additions as upgrades over Amir. Again the price is everything here. I would go as high as $18M for Ibaka to be honest as I see him as the best piece we need there. Gibson more like Amir's $12M, but with him the question would be how much better is he than Amir, really?

to me Blake and Milsap will be too pricey. we have to keep in mind that Danny will have to decide next year to extend IT and Bradley or let them hit the open market in 2018. one of them will get a deal over $20M per here.
IF we have Horford and another max player already, Danny will cap constrained in 2018.

Noel would be a nice young piece, but he is a RFA and may not really be an option as I find it hard to believe Dallas will let one of their only young players leave. A sign and trade with Dallas for one of our guards and a future pick could be an option I suppose. If so he would probably be my second option (because of the trade cost).

Mason Plumlee would fit nicely beside Horford, but again is a RFA. However Portland is WAAAAYYYYY over the cap. so This might be the place that Danny can sign a RFA to a deal that Portland will be unwilling to match.

so my favorites right now are:

1. Ibaka - up to $18M per
2. Noel- $15-18M PLUS the cost of the trade
3. Plumlee- $12-15M ( I think he may be the guy Danny goes after)
4. Gibson- up to $12M
5. Amir- resigned.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

No.

Agree with several others, above.

Not even close to worth considering IMO.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down