cowens/oldschool
worcester
jrleftfoot
NYCelt
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:57 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/04/boston_celtics_washington_wiza_15.html#incart_river_index

Isaiah Thomas, Boston Celtics overcome horrendous start to roll past Washington Wizards, 123-111, in Game 1

Posted on April 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 22585811-mmmain
Boston Celtics' Isaiah Thomas (4) goes up to shoot against Washington Wizards' Otto Porter Jr. (22) during the second quarter of a second-round NBA playoff series basketball game, Sunday, April, 30, 2017, in Boston. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

BY JAY KING

BOSTON -- Up and down and everywhere this one went, like a yo-yo on drugs, until Al Horford stood up, Jaylen Brown provided a surprise lift and Avery Bradley slammed an exclamation point at the end of a wild Boston Celtics win.

It took the Celtics more than five minutes to score, but once they did the buckets rarely stopped flying. They erased a big deficit in less than a quarter, then rode a wave of 3-pointers past the Washington Wizards, 123-111, in Game 1 of the second round.

Isaiah Thomas (33 points, nine assists) broke the Wizards off the bounce, Jae Crowder (24 points) drilled five of his first six 3-pointers, and Avery Bradley (18 points) shook off a rough start to get a little hot himself. Horford (21 points, 10 assists, nine rebounds) did his distributing thing early before dominated the start of the fourth quarter, when the Celtics lead had been cut to three. The bench played great again in the first half, and the defense arrived in time to spark a monster third-quarter run, during which the Celtics outscored Washington by 20 points.

If the Celtics shoot like that (19 for 39 from behind the arc), they might never lose again. They got whatever shots they wanted, though, bouncing into the paint, spraying the ball to the perimeter, tickling the nets time and time again. Even Mike D'Antoni might have blushed while seeing how many 3-pointers they took, but the looks were mostly open. Early in the third quarter, Crowder celebrated one of his many triples by flexing right in front of the Wizards bench.

It might have taken the Celtics a while to adjust to the new game speed. After the Bulls tried to slog their way through the first round, the Wizards jumped into Boston like a 110-MPH fastball. John Wall (20 points, 16 assists) zoomed everywhere. Bradley Beal (27 points) darted to the hoop and drilled long jumpers. Long, quick guys like Otto Porter, Jr., and Kelly Oubre, Jr., zipped to open spots. Only Marcin Gortat (16 points, 13 rebounds) plays anywhere close to plodding, so of course he dominated the Celtics big guys early.

But the Celtics started to hold their own on the glass, forced some turnovers (shout out to Avery Bradley there), and took advantage of Washington's defense for 123 points over the final 43 minutes of action.

Morris hurt

With 7:18 left in then second quarter, Markieff Morris sprained his left ankle after a shooting foul from Al Horford. That injury could mean a lot over the rest of the series; the Wizards don't have much depth behind Morris, especially with Ian Mahinmi still out. And when Morris is out, the Celtics can hide Thomas on Kelly Oubre Jr. defensively, which makes a big difference.

Boston had already righted itself before Morris' injury, but went on a rush after he went out.

The despicable start

The first quarter went horribly wrong, right from the start. The Celtics didn't make a field goal until more than five minutes had elapsed. They didn't grab their first rebound until 5:58 remained in the quarter. They opened the game on the wrong side of a 16-0 run. And then Isaiah Thomas lost a tooth:

Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 C-rVETaUAAA3cqX
Follow
SB Nation GIF @SBNationGIF
You can't handle the tooth
10:21 AM - 30 Apr 2017
 346 346 Retweets   371 371 likes

Remarkably, he proceeded to hit back-to-back 3-pointers while looking like Michael Strahan's little brother. Over the latter half of the quarter, the basket opened up for him, which must have been nice for the Celtics to see after he lost his 3-point stroke during the first round. Other than that and a quality offensive stretch from Kelly Olynyk, who had his way (offensively) with Washington's small bench lineups, Boston didn't have much to love early.

But things changed. Olynyk kept scoring against the small dudes Washington threw his way. Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart changed the energy off the bench. The Celtics attacked Bojan Bogdanovic quite a bit, and the tactic worked. Less than five minutes into the second quarter, Boston had erased all of its early deficit. From there, entertainment ensued.

The Celtics probably would have liked to hold Washington to less than 50.6 percent from the field, including 43.5 percent from the 3-point arc. They probably would have liked to erase Bojan Bogdanovic's big fourth quarter, which helped tighten things up. But the Celtics were great, and now they own a series lead.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:38 pm

I do NOT like starting a game 0-16.  5 1/2 minutes gone in the 1st and we got our first fgm and had 2 rebounds, total.   I cannot wait to see the turnaround in emotions on the Comments From The Other Side thread for this game, they will be severely bi-polar.

Bradley was 3-10 at the half, was 3-13 in the 3rd, and ended up 7-20, which is 35% but he hit a HUGE 3 in the 4th with Gortat challenging him.

Horford just 1 rebound short of a triple-double.  Gortat ate him, and Amir, alive in the 1st quarter but Horford showed some pride and came back strong.  21 points on 10-13, 9 rebounds, 5 offensive and 10 assists.  Had 4 points and 3 rebounds at halftime, and ended up with 21 points and 9.  A 17 point 6 rebound 2nd half for Al.  We started the 4th the same way we started the 1st, ice cold, but Al got us going and was 4-4 in the 4th for 9 points, 7 points in 1 minute as we were reeling.  Doing it all.  Right now Atlanta Hawk fans, enjoying their basketball-free spring, are wondering why they didn't see this Al Horford all those years he was in Atlanta and they made the playoffs.

If not for Kelly and IT this win would not have been possible.  We scored 24 points in that awful 1st quarter and IT and Kelly combined for 22 of them on 7-11.  We shot 38% in that quarter, 8-21, so take those two out and the rest of the team was 1-10.  1-10.  Washington shot 64% that quarter and had 38 points.  We'd have been down 25 points after 1 if not for Kelly and IT.  The Wiz had NO answer for either of them.

Rozier is a big game player.  8 rebounds in 15 minutes for Terry.

Jae had 6 points at halftime and ended up with 24.  From 2-5 to 8-14.  That's a 6-9 2nd half.

Porter, 41 minutes
Wall, 39 minutes
Beal, 40 minutes
Gortat, 39 minutes.

Bradley, 39 minutes
IT, 38 minutes
Horford, 35 minutes
Crowder, 35 minutes
Smart, 31 minutes.

If we can win the next game you know Scott Brooks will pull out all the stops in Washington.  Even if we lose the next game he'll pull out the stops to try and bury us.  We might be looking at another Butler/Wade fatigue factor here by Game 6 too, especially since the TV schedule is forcing fewer days off.  So, a good start, with their starters playing heavier minutes than ours.  Their guys are young too, but Gortat is 33.

We both shot 51%, we took more 3s and they took more fritos but ended up tied in rebounds.  38 rebounds, 12 offensive for them and 38 rebounds, 12 offensive for us.  That is AMAZING since we only had 5 rebounds, total, after 1.

The Wizards are leading the playoffs with 20.5 fast break points.  This game they had 9 and we had 13.  Excellent job.

24 fouls called on Boston, 11 on Washington.  They cannot complain about not getting whistles.  They will, of course, but overall they got more than their share.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
Brad Stevens is really happy right now. After going down 16-0, his team his crushed the Wiz 95-64 since. This is peak Celtics.
reply retweet like

Morris went down with a rolled ankle.  If he's out any amount of time this could be a short series.  Washington doesn't have our depth on the bench.

The high powered all-star backcourt of Washington scored 47 points (Wall 20, Beal 27.  18-39 combined).  IT and Kelly was 45 points on 16-37.  When we can almost negate Wall/Beal with IT and a bench player, I don't care which bench player, we're in good shape.

You can't handle the tooth
Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 C-rVETaUAAA3cqX

RETWEETS 346
LIKES 371
10:21 AM - 30 Apr 2017

Considering everything that has happened to him this past week, how does one cram that much heart into such a little body?  Pride, that's how, Celtics Pride.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400952526

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Washington Wizards, Home - PLAYOFF #1

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Chauncey Billups said it during the broadcast...he does not like, or trust, big, early leads.

Good for us, this time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Losing a 17 point lead has to be disheartening.  At least I hope it is.  No Morris, who is their backup PF?

Replace Morris with Bogie their outside offense improves but their defense is worse and their rebounding is much worse.

Replace Morris with Oubre and their perimeter defense improves but their rebounding sucks.

Scott Brooks has no depth.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:29 pm

ITs two" hero ball" threes that cut it from 20-5 to 20-11 were crucial , psychologically, imo. He settled into helper ( assist) mode after that, but for all ya`ll that like me , cringed when he threw those shots up , please join me in celebrating a transcendent talent. Guy has no fear. Sometimes Crowder  gets lost in the shuffle, but he hit clutch shot after clutch shot tonight. Horford has won me over and Bradley had me at hello---lol. KO isn`t everybody`s cup of tea , but I don`t see how anybody could be critical of his performance the last couple of games. Forgive the euphoria, but I am presently disposed to ignore Smart`s shoting percentage and believe my lying eyes.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 am

THE ROAD TO THE FINALS WILL BE THROUGH TORONTO NOT CLEVELAND!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 am

Too many contributors to list. Kelly has arrived as have Marcus and Terry. Isaiah should be wearing Dwight Howard's Superman cape. Avery stepped up. Jae stepped up. Jaylen looked poised and ferociously athletic. Al almost with a triple double. What a team.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 am

bob on the game on thread you got your facts wrong again, KO played 3 minutes in 4th, not one and at the start of 4th we had a 15 point lead. At the time that KO went out, the lead was down to 6 with KO committing 2 bad fouls, the teams 4th and 5th putting us over the limit so that the Wizards would get to the line on any foul, non shooting or shooting. Bradley Beal also hit a shot in the lane right in KO's face between the fouls. I bring all this up because when I said live on the game on thread time to get KO out of there, you implied he had nothing to do with the bad 4th quarter start....what were you watching bro? You always point out every time KO does something well, like a 7 footer shouldn't block a shot or rebound once in awhile, don't be in denial when bigs dunk in his face and he stinks up the joint, which happens too often....and I know he hit some nice shots in the first half.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 am

Lauri Markannen anyone?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

worcester wrote:Lauri Markannen anyone?

whos she?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am

Misspelled. Lauri Markkanen - AZ C/PF
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 am

worcester wrote:Lauri Markannen anyone?

A player similar to Olynyk.

Celts are better off trading the pick for Jimmy Butler or Paul George if it's not Fultz.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 am

Josh Jackson is another good option on draft day for our team.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon May 01, 2017 12:51 pm

I'll say this about KO ...........

if it wasn't for what he did in the first quarter we might have been too far back to even get back to even let alone get a significant lead in the third. Came in for AH (who did NOTHING the first 4 minutes of the game) at the 8:03 mark with us down 16-2. From then on he scored 10 points in the quarter and the lead came down a little to 38-24. He also played significant minutes in the second period when we continued to cut into the lead.

If he was sooo bad those first couple minutes of the 4th then EVERYONE was a hell of a lot worse in the first 4 minutes of the game. A point in the first quarter counts as much as a point in the 4th.

What I do find amazing is that Big Al was a -14 when KO came in for him after those terrible first 4 minutes................yet he finished a +21 for a 35 point swing in the final 44 minutes of the game, and truly it was more like the last 36 minutes.

Another thing that sort of bothers me a bit is the continued talk of a need for a better shooter.

Seems we have been shooting pretty well and given the way most of these "shooters" play at the other end of the court not sure just how big a need that truly is. I think getting a rebounder is a bit more an issue with me, and if he can shoot some better for us.

I'd hate to see us loose any of the guys in the main rotation unless it is a "godfather" type deal that we just can't refuse.

On another note I do hope Toronto and Cleveland trade haymakers for all of the full 7 games...and throw a couple OT games in there for good measure............and should we be fortunate to advance perhaps a beat up team will be waiting for us.

Just a spirited win yesterday for sure..........Go Green !!

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 pm

beat wrote:I'll say this about KO ...........

if it wasn't for what he did in the first quarter we might have been too far back to even get back to even let alone get a significant lead in the third. Came in for AH (who did NOTHING the first 4 minutes of the game) at the 8:03 mark with us down 16-2. From then on he scored 10 points in the quarter and the lead came down a little to 38-24.  He also played significant minutes in the second period when we continued to cut into the lead.

If he was sooo bad those first couple minutes of the 4th then EVERYONE was a hell of a lot worse in the first 4 minutes of the game.  A point in the first quarter counts as much as a point in the 4th.  

What I do find amazing is that Big Al was a -14 when KO came in for him after those terrible first 4 minutes................yet he finished a +21 for a 35 point swing in the final 44 minutes of the game, and truly it was more like the last 36 minutes.

Another thing that sort of bothers me a bit is the continued talk of a need for a better shooter.

Seems we have been shooting pretty well and given the way most of these "shooters" play at the other end of the court not sure just how big a need that truly is. I think getting a rebounder is a bit more an issue with me, and if he can shoot some better for us.

I'd hate to see us loose any of the guys in the main rotation unless it is a "godfather" type deal that we just can't refuse.

On another note I do hope Toronto and Cleveland trade haymakers for all of the full 7 games...and throw a couple OT games in there for good measure............and should we be fortunate to advance perhaps a beat up team will be waiting for us.

beat

beat,

+1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Beat,
+2
W
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 01, 2017 7:30 pm

beat+ 3

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 pm

beat wrote:I'll say this about KO ...........

if it wasn't for what he did in the first quarter we might have been too far back to even get back to even let alone get a significant lead in the third. Came in for AH (who did NOTHING the first 4 minutes of the game) at the 8:03 mark with us down 16-2. From then on he scored 10 points in the quarter and the lead came down a little to 38-24.  He also played significant minutes in the second period when we continued to cut into the lead.

If he was sooo bad those first couple minutes of the 4th then EVERYONE was a hell of a lot worse in the first 4 minutes of the game.  A point in the first quarter counts as much as a point in the 4th.  

beat

"On another note I do hope Toronto and Cleveland trade haymakers for all of the full 7 games...and throw a couple OT games in there for good measure"

Doesn't look like that's gonna happen.  Cavs romped tonight.  Were up 20 for most of the fourth quarter.  They are clicking now, and fully rested after crushing Indiana in 4.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm not surprised, considering how the Cavs dominated the Raps in the regular season.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 am

Just one game. It takes 4.

Far from over

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 am

Hi,
RE: Cavs romped over Raps. I don't get it - why Lebron had to play 41+ minutes?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK

hes fine, hes a super duper conditioned athlete and he just had 8 days off

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 am

I hope he plays 41+ minutes for 7 games before meeting us.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue May 02, 2017 11:01 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK

hes fine, hes a super duper conditioned athlete and he just had 8 days off

Cow,
For sure he's super-duper. But he's not a spring chicken, 32 yo and has a lot of miles on his tires. Probably the most among active players.

Worcester,
2 thumbs up from me if he plays 41+ for 7 games and then, providing we beat Wizards, will face Green team.
I'm just wondering about the rational behind his PT in a game where Cavs were ahead 15-20 points most of the time.
Another question or rather musing: was Lebron's decision or Lue's Evil or Very Mad

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 am

LeBron's. Lue makes no decisions about what LeBron does, IMHO.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next