Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by worcester on Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm

How would Gobert fit in our system, and why would Utah want tyhe #1 pick?
avatar
worcester

Posts : 4766
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by dboss on Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm

For the record there are over 200 players in the NBA that shoot the three ball better than Jaylen Brown

Over the summer and hopefully during the rest of the playoffs where Brown is hitting at the hideous rate of .222% he may improve or maybe he won't.

Guys that come out of college with high end offensive abilities, a competitive nature,  great athleticism and a high basketball IQ should always be targets when you are blessed with an opportunity to draft.

So I still have Fultz at # 1 and Jackson at # 2 and Ball or Tatum at #3 (take your pick)

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 5902
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by dboss on Wed May 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Rmbone wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:I don't claim to be an nba scout, and both Jackson and Fultz look impressive to me. What I like about Fultz is:

1) he seems to have really excellent body control. This is often over-looked when judging athleticism. As far as I can tell, when people say "athletic" they pretty much mean speed and verticle. Pierce was always described as not very athletic. I disagree with this description, since Pierce had amazing balance and body control. That allowed him to make difficult shots others could not. Also, I think this type of athleticism keeps players healthy - they land awkwardly less often.

2) He is crafty, and changes speeds effortlessly. This reminds me of Isaiah - he knows just when his defenders momentum is committed to a direction, and then he changes speeds/direction. I actually think the fact that he does it so effortlessly resulted in the knock on him that he "plays at half speed". This is a gift that goes particularly well when combined with bodycontrol.

3) He sees the floor and has concentration. This trait goes well with numbers one and two. Even when displaying his "body control", he never loses focus, which allows him to either score or pass. Similary, when juking defenders with his crafy speed-changing moves, he knows just where the hoop is and where his teammates are.

I was initially concerned that he seemed to laid back, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe he doesn't beat his chest and scream for the cameras, but the kid seems to have good focus, at least offensively. I agree with the scouts' concensus that the physical tools to be a good defender are there, and a year with Brad, Avery, Jae, and Marcus will likely help him buy in. I'm sure I have post-lottery delirium, but this kidd could be special...

Good post Shamrock, and that's a good attitude to have. We really can't go wrong with either Jackson or Fultz.

My only lingering concern is what happened with the 76ers when they drafted 3 centers. The trade value of Noel and Okafor both plummeted, because other teams knew the 76ers had too many darn centers. If we drafted Fultz, the trade value of IT and Bradley and Smart and Rozier plummets instantly.


Same may happen if we were to draft Jackson and then decided we wanted to move Brown.

Sometimes drafting will create an imbalance situation on the Roster but if you draft the best talent you are still going to make out in the long run.  We could very well lose IT.  If he wants Conley $$$ what do we do then?  If we try to short change AB again and he rejects the extension offer that has to be dealt with.  Those are bad outcomes but if you draft Fultz the PG/combo guard position will be solidified for years to come.

I think that the best course of action is to take the best available player.

dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 5902
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by worcester on Wed May 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Jaylen shot .341 from 3 this season. Respectable for a rookie. Yes, he was 4 for 18 on three's in the playoffs so far. So what? That's a small sample size. Give the guy a break won't you. He'll be a tremendous asset in years to come. What were you doing at age 20, and how did other 20 year olds perform this year in the NBA? And I'm I'm not counting the Septugenarian 20 year old Thon Maker.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 4766
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by bobheckler on Wed May 17, 2017 5:45 pm

worcester wrote:Jaylen shot .341 from 3 this season. Respectable for a rookie. Yes, he was 4 for 18 on three's in the playoffs so far. So what? That's a small sample size. Give the guy a break won't you. He'll be a tremendous asset in years to come. What were you doing at age 20, and how did other 20 year olds perform this year in the NBA? And I'm I'm not counting the Septugenarian  20 year old Thon Maker.


I'd be happy to tell you what I was doing when I was 20, if I could remember what it was. I seem to remember spilling a lot of beer on myself...


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 31841
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

worcester wrote:Jaylen shot .341 from 3 this season. Respectable for a rookie. Yes, he was 4 for 18 on three's in the playoffs so far. So what? That's a small sample size. Give the guy a break won't you. He'll be a tremendous asset in years to come. What were you doing at age 20, and how did other 20 year olds perform this year in the NBA? And I'm I'm not counting the Septugenarian  20 year old Thon Maker.

When I was 20 I dropped a hell of a lot more than 9 points in a game 7 to advance to the Conference Finals.

And in my 3rd career game at age 20 I dropped a hell of a lot more than 18 points on LeBron James.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 6:18 pm

[Givony] Word out of LA is Lonzo Ball is heavy favorite at #2, but will take a long hard look at De'Aaron Fox too. Hoping for a head to head workout.

I can't read the tweet, because Givony blocked me on twitter for telling him he was sleeping on Thon Maker. But here's the link https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6boxqq/givony_word_out_of_la_is_lonzo_ball_is_heavy/


Imagine being able to trade down to #3 and still get Josh Jackson. The problem is #3 is the 76ers, and we'd face Fultz 4 times a year for better or worse.



Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by willjr on Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 pm

A little something to add too the debate.
BTW, as I've posted before, I like Fultz, Jackson, Tatum in that order.

The Celtics have to take Markelle Fultz with the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NBA draft - http://teamstre.am/2rsG0Z9
avatar
willjr

Posts : 313
Join date : 2009-10-19
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by bobheckler on Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Rmbone wrote:
[Givony] Word out of LA is Lonzo Ball is heavy favorite at #2, but will take a long hard look at De'Aaron Fox too. Hoping for a head to head workout.

I can't read the tweet, because Givony blocked me on twitter for telling him he was sleeping on Thon Maker. But here's the link https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6boxqq/givony_word_out_of_la_is_lonzo_ball_is_heavy/


Imagine being able to trade down to #3 and still get Josh Jackson. The problem is #3 is the 76ers, and we'd face Fultz 4 times a year for better or worse.




Imagine a McHale/Parish trade with Philly, #1 (Fultz) for #3 Jackson and Okafor.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 31841
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by willjr on Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm




Imagine a McHale/Parish trade with Philly, #1 (Fultz) for #3 Jackson and Okafor.


bob

Switch Saric for Okafor and it peeks my interest...somewhat.


avatar
willjr

Posts : 313
Join date : 2009-10-19
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 9:40 pm

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.

LeBron's a generational talent. Maybe the best ever. It's not that the Cavs have three stars, it's that they have LeBron. Three stars and weak depth doesn't work when it's non-GOATs.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.

LeBron's a generational talent. Maybe the best ever. It's not that the Cavs have three stars, it's that they have LeBron. Three stars and weak depth doesn't work when it's non-GOATs.

Cavs are luxury tax payers.

You know the team is deep when Deron Wiliams, Kyle Korver, and Channing Frye are coming off the bench.

Celtic offense is composed of Thomas scoring a lot and the rest of the team shooting 3-pointers.
The sports media wrote us off because they know the Celts are pretenders, not contenders.

Celts have a bright future because the Celts have assets and young players with star potential.
But right now the Celts are not on the same level as the Cavs and GSW.

If the Celts want to improve, Bradley and Crowder must go.

Let's be realistic, having Fultz and Hayward is better than having Bradley and Crowder.

Celts need an upgrade.

Hopefully the Celts will be able to dethrone Lebron and the Cavs in 2019 or 2020.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.

LeBron's a generational talent. Maybe the best ever. It's not that the Cavs have three stars, it's that they have LeBron. Three stars and weak depth doesn't work when it's non-GOATs.

Cavs are luxury tax payers.

You know the team is deep when Deron Wiliams, Kyle Korver, and Channing Frye are coming off the bench.

Celtic offense is composed of Thomas scoring a lot and the rest of the team shooting 3-pointers.
The sports media wrote us off because they know the Celts are pretenders, not contenders.

Celts have a bright future because the Celts have assets and young players with star potential.
But right now the Celts are not on the same level as the Cavs and GSW.

If the Celts want to improve, Bradley and Crowder must go.

Let's be realistic, having Fultz and Hayward is better than having Bradley and Crowder.

Celts need an upgrade.

Hopefully the Celts will be able to dethrone Lebron and the Cavs in 2019 or 2020.

Crowder's not the problem, but you're right about Bradley. As far as the Cavs, lots of teams are at or over the luxury tax. Remember the Nets with KG and Pierce and Lopez? How did that trio of stars workout?

Jaylen needs to be starting over Bradley, who's too small. Crowder is in no way part of the problem. Great contract, low maintenance, and helps set the defensive culture. Isaiah is the worst defender in the NBA, and with Bradley they're the worst defensive starting backcourt in the entire NBA. I researched it, couldn't believe it.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.

LeBron's a generational talent. Maybe the best ever. It's not that the Cavs have three stars, it's that they have LeBron. Three stars and weak depth doesn't work when it's non-GOATs.

Cavs are luxury tax payers.

You know the team is deep when Deron Wiliams, Kyle Korver, and Channing Frye are coming off the bench.

Celtic offense is composed of Thomas scoring a lot and the rest of the team shooting 3-pointers.
The sports media wrote us off because they know the Celts are pretenders, not contenders.

Celts have a bright future because the Celts have assets and young players with star potential.
But right now the Celts are not on the same level as the Cavs and GSW.

If the Celts want to improve, Bradley and Crowder must go.

Let's be realistic, having Fultz and Hayward is better than having Bradley and Crowder.

Celts need an upgrade.

Hopefully the Celts will be able to dethrone Lebron and the Cavs in 2019 or 2020.

Crowder's not the problem, but you're right about Bradley. As far as the Cavs, lots of teams are at or over the luxury tax. Remember the Nets with KG and Pierce and Lopez? How did that trio of stars workout?

Jaylen needs to be starting over Bradley, who's too small. Crowder is in no way part of the problem. Great contract, low maintenance, and helps set the defensive culture. Isaiah is the worst defender in the NBA, and with Bradley they're the worst defensive starting backcourt in the entire NBA. I researched it, couldn't believe it.

Just look at the elite teams.

Spurs have Kawhi.
GSW has KD.
Cavs have Lebron.

The SF spot is very critical.

Great contract and low maintenance will only get you so far.

Crowder's not the problem, but he's also not the solution.

Again, if the Celts are content with Crowder then why did Ainge go after Paul George?
Why is Grousbeck hinting of going all in for Hayward?

Lebron and the Cavs couldn't beat KG, Pierce, and Ray in 2008 and 2010 when Lebron had Mo Williams and Anderson Varejao as his supporting cast.

But when Lebron had Wade and Bosh, Celts couldn't beat Lebron even with KG, Pierce, and Ray.

Same thing now, this will be the 3rd time Lebron, Kyrie, and Love will eliminate IT and the Celtics in the playoffs.

When the Celts were champs, the Celts had one of the highest payrolls in the league.

Great contracts, like Crowder's, and low maintenance will not get it done.

Ainge needs to add star power.

Last time Ainge had 3 stars, Celts won a championship.

Ainge just has to do it again.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 pm

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:"Getting role players is easier compared to getting star players."

Not when you get rid of an 8 million dollar guy to pay another guy 25 million to make the same impact.

Ask the Clippers or Wizards how easy it is to get role players. When you throw too much money around, you lose the ability to add role players.

And you think Danny is going to draft Fultz just to sit him on the bench behind IT for 5 years, paying IT 25 million a year to do the same job?

And if Hayward or George were here, Isaiah would only be averaging 20 ppg, and everybody else on the team would be frustrated about not getting regular shots. Better to have one ball dominant guy with a bunch of willing passers around him, than two ball dominant guys and everybody else is completely out of rhythm.  

We're the #1 seed, in the Eastern Conference Finals. The sports media might be writing us off, but we're about to give Cleveland a serious run for their money, just the way we are.


You're getting a dose of reality tonight.

Are you watching the Cavs-Celtics Game 1?

Lebron, Love, and Kyrie are knocking out the Celtics.

Crowder's defense no effect on Lebron.
Great offense always beats good defense in basketball.

Difference between Crowder and Hayward is Hayward can score on a regular basis.
That's why Crowder is only worth 8m and Hayward will be worth 30m.

LeBron's a generational talent. Maybe the best ever. It's not that the Cavs have three stars, it's that they have LeBron. Three stars and weak depth doesn't work when it's non-GOATs.

Cavs are luxury tax payers.

You know the team is deep when Deron Wiliams, Kyle Korver, and Channing Frye are coming off the bench.

Celtic offense is composed of Thomas scoring a lot and the rest of the team shooting 3-pointers.
The sports media wrote us off because they know the Celts are pretenders, not contenders.

Celts have a bright future because the Celts have assets and young players with star potential.
But right now the Celts are not on the same level as the Cavs and GSW.

If the Celts want to improve, Bradley and Crowder must go.

Let's be realistic, having Fultz and Hayward is better than having Bradley and Crowder.

Celts need an upgrade.

Hopefully the Celts will be able to dethrone Lebron and the Cavs in 2019 or 2020.

Crowder's not the problem, but you're right about Bradley. As far as the Cavs, lots of teams are at or over the luxury tax. Remember the Nets with KG and Pierce and Lopez? How did that trio of stars workout?

Jaylen needs to be starting over Bradley, who's too small. Crowder is in no way part of the problem. Great contract, low maintenance, and helps set the defensive culture. Isaiah is the worst defender in the NBA, and with Bradley they're the worst defensive starting backcourt in the entire NBA. I researched it, couldn't believe it.

Just look at the elite teams.

Spurs have Kawhi.
GSW has KD.
Cavs have Lebron.

The SF spot is very critical.

Great contract and low maintenance will only get you so far.

Crowder's not the problem, but he's also not the solution.

Again, if the Celts are content with Crowder then why did Ainge go after Paul George?
Why is Grousbeck hinting of going all in for Hayward?

Lebron and the Cavs couldn't beat KG, Pierce, and Ray in 2008 and 2010 when Lebron had Mo Williams and Anderson Varejao as his supporting cast.

But when Lebron had Wade and Bosh, Celts couldn't beat Lebron even with KG, Pierce, and Ray.

Same thing now, this will be the 3rd time Lebron, Kyrie, and Love will eliminate IT and the Celtics in the playoffs.

When the Celts were champs, the Celts had one of the highest payrolls in the league.

Great contracts, like Crowder's, and low maintenance will not get it done.

Ainge needs to add star power.

Last time Ainge had 3 stars, Celts won a championship.

Ainge just has to do it again.

You act like Hayward is going to help us get past LeBron, when Hayward would have to guard LeBron. Look at the advanced stats, Crowder is right up there near those top guys. http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/5

Hayward and George are below.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Rmbone

Lebron for his career is averaging 28.2 ppg in the playoffs.

You can't stop Lebron because like you said, he's GOAT.
There is no defense for Lebron.

What did the Celts do to prevent the Cavs from upsetting the #1 seed Celtics back in 2008?

Remember that memorable Game 7 between the Cavs and Celtics back in 2008?

Lebron had 45 points in that game and the Celts were really in danger of losing that Game 7.
But because Paul Pierce himself had 41 points, Lebron's 45 points was offset by Pierce's 41 points.

Sure, Hayward and George are not going to stop Lebron.
But Hayward and George can keep up with Lebron's scoring.

Jae Crowder can't do that.
Crowder's 14 ppg in the regular season and 13 ppg in the playoffs will not be enough.

Last year the Cavs won a championship with Kyrie and Lebron averaging 40 points each in the finals.
That was too much, even for Steph Curry and the high scoring Warriors.

It's true you can't win championships without good defense.
But defense alone will not even take you to the finals.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by NYCelt on Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
worcester wrote:What makes people here forget about Jaylen as our future at SF? I just don't get replacing a 6'7" 225 lb. athletic freak with a 6'8" 205 pound player. Jaylen Brown will be our star SF/SG for years to come. Watch for it.

W -

I didn't forget him, I just think that with Tatum or Jackson, he's bench strength.  I think Tatum and Jackson both display a capable enough game coming out of D1 ball that they would have potential to be moved into the starter role relatively soon.  They would give us shooting and scoring beyond that of Brown, or Crowder.  Once they get acclimated to the NBA, Tatum or Jackson would probably will give us at least the same level of defense we're getting now.  Especially Tatum.  Either Brown or Crowder would help us build that championship caliber bench we need.

Regards


A #3 pick best used as "bench strength" behind a younger, less experienced player is French for crap shoot.


bob


.

Bob,

I think that compared to Tatum and Jackson, Brown has limited upside and not as complete of a game.  Has nothing to do with Brown's draft position last year, but everything to do with the talent level of Tatum and Jackson.

Brown's ability to defend guards and small forwards, and get to the rim and score, make him a great candidate for a building block on a strong bench.  His shooting pales compared to Tatum and Jackson, however, and that's a key skill we need to pick up.  Both Tatum and Jackson are strong defenders as well, which, along with their superior games on O, could easily move them into the starting lineup.  Not a crap shoot, but a strategic use of player strength and building a strong roster top to bottom.

All of which is conjecture, and will never be proven or disproven, because we'll take Fultz.

Regards
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 6338
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 11:24 pm

There's just no way Fultzy will not become a star in the NBA.

If you guys like Kyrie Irving, you will like Markelle "Fultzy" Fultz.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Rmbone on Wed May 17, 2017 11:32 pm

fierce wrote:Rmbone

Lebron for his career is averaging 28.2 ppg in the playoffs.

You can't stop Lebron because like you said, he's GOAT.
There is no defense for Lebron.

What did the Celts do to prevent the Cavs from upsetting the #1 seed Celtics back in 2008?

Remember that memorable Game 7 between the Cavs and Celtics back in 2008?

Lebron had 45 points in that game and the Celts were really in danger of losing that Game 7.
But because Paul Pierce himself had 41 points, Lebron's 45 points was offset by Pierce's 41 points.

Sure, Hayward and George are not going to stop Lebron.
But Hayward and George can keep up with Lebron's scoring.

Jae Crowder can't do that.
Crowder's 14 ppg in the regular season and 13 ppg in the playoffs will not be enough.

Last year the Cavs won a championship with Kyrie and Lebron averaging 40 points each in the finals.
That was too much, even for Steph Curry and the high scoring Warriors.

It's true you can't win championships without good defense.
But defense alone will not even take you to the finals.

Nice post fierce. Though I think Jackson could be a big scorer. He played with the national player of the year, so his shots were limited, but he has a pretty complete offensive game. A cold first month hurt his %s, but he has great post moves, dribble drives, and can pull up and get his shot off at will against anybody. Whether drafting Jackson means Jae, Jaylen, or Jackson coming off the bench, I don't really care. You could probably start all three most of the time.

Our biggest problem all playoffs is that when IT and Bradley aren't shooting lights out, they're usually hurting us badly defensively and on the boards. Adding Jackson to the mix would improve both our offense and our defense, and Jackson would be second best on the team at creating his own shot. I'd be happy with Fultz though, and I see your (good) point.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Rmbone

As long as Ainge and the Celtics stay away from Lonzo Ball and his dad, I'm happy.
Very Happy
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by kdp59 on Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 am

bobheckler wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
[Givony] Word out of LA is Lonzo Ball is heavy favorite at #2, but will take a long hard look at De'Aaron Fox too. Hoping for a head to head workout.

I can't read the tweet, because Givony blocked me on twitter for telling him he was sleeping on Thon Maker. But here's the link https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6boxqq/givony_word_out_of_la_is_lonzo_ball_is_heavy/


Imagine being able to trade down to #3 and still get Josh Jackson. The problem is #3 is the 76ers, and we'd face Fultz 4 times a year for better or worse.




Imagine a McHale/Parish trade with Philly, #1 (Fultz) for #3 Jackson and Okafor.


bob


.


Bob, you are a genius!!!

but I also agree that Saric instead of Okafor makes it a knockdown deal.

I like it.....get it done Danny.

Saric is already better than Kelly and is under a rookie deal for 3 more years. No need to pay Kelly $12 m or more then.

That money and Zellers' $8M non guaranteed can be sued to sign the best big man FA out there. with up to $20M Ibaka, Noel and Plumleee could all be in play.

and to make EVERYONE on the board happy...Danny can then trade #3 and Bradley for J. Butler.

there off-season done now.

Roster

Horford
Ibaka, Noel or Plumlee-FA
Zizic-Rook
Saric-Trade
Yabusele-Rook
Mickey
Crowder
Jaylen
Nader-Rook
Butler- Trade
Smart
Thomas
Rozier
Jackson

Money to sign Jerebko or Green back , perhaps both if Jackson and/or Mickey are released.

that was easy....



avatar
kdp59

Posts : 2937
Join date : 2014-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 am

Danny Ainge will not trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler and Saric.

Sixers will not give up Saric just to swap the #3 pick with the #1 pick.
It's not like the Sixers will be getting Karl Anthony Towns with the #1 pick.

From what I've heard from Wyc Grousbeck, Celts are all in for Gordon Hayward and the Celts are not trading the #1 pick.

But if the Celts do want to trade for Jimmy Butler or Paul George, offer the 2018 Nets pick instead.

avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by fierce on Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 am

1 hour ago – via NESN.com
The C’s have the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, and they also could sign another top free agent, similar to their approach last offseason when they drafted Jaylen Brown and signed Al Horford. But who would that free agent be? The Vertical’s Chris Mannix has a pretty good idea. “The next step for this team, that’s got to be Gordon Hayward,” Mannix said on CSNNE’s “Celtics Pregame Live.” “That is a guy who can help this team immediately. And that’s a guy I believe is Boston’s No. 1 target this summer.”
Free Agency, Gordon Hayward, Boston Celtics, Utah Jazz
avatar
fierce

Posts : 392
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by worcester on Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am

To anyone who will listen,  Jaylen is a better defender against LeBron than anyone else on the Celts. He has the length, strength, and quickness to defend James one on one without needing help. That is not to say he will stop LeBron, but last night there was only one possession when Jaylen guarded him when LeBron had an easy trip to the basket. Every other time he harrassed LeBron into taking a less than ideal shot. Jaylen may be able to keep James to 30 points a game. Not super D, true, but no one else can do any better than that alone OR EVEN COME CLOSE ON THIS CELTICS TEAM, and Jaylen's D on LeBron frees up our other defenders to clamp down on the rest of the Cavs. Our help defense was completely ineffective against LeBron, and it allowed other Cavs players to score against us more easily.

To those who say Jaylen is not a good scorer, he was 5 for 7 last night, and he would have been 7 for 9 had not two Celts - Kelly and Marcus - made stupid and unnecessary fouls to assist his basket making, fouls which took his points off the board. How can anyone not see that Jaylen has a monster game going to the hoop, one for which the Cavs have no answer? He scored 10 points (really 14) in 19+ minutes, by far the most efficient Celtic scorer on the floor last night. Jae is simply not tall or long or quick enough to guard LeBron. Kelly did his very best, but he is too slow and too weak to counter LeBron at the perimeter. Even when Kelly had his hand on the ball, LeBron was strong enough to just rip it away and score off the dribble. Avery? He could never defend against James. Al? Same problems as Kelly. No, we need to start Jaylen and keep him on LeBron. Let the other Celts do their work on D against the other Cavs. Jaylen will score 20 a game given decent minutes, while LeBron will have to work for 30 AND not be as effective a passer to his teammates.

Going forward, I do like Bob's idea of getting Jackson and Saric from Philly for Fultz, but that'll never happen. Jackson won't be able to guard LeBron, not strong enough, but he could play the 2 while Jaylen plays the 3. Hayward and Fultz? I'm still not sold on Hayward. We shall see.
avatar
worcester

Posts : 4766
Join date : 2009-10-31
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Josh Jackson Should Go #1 to Celtics

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum