mrkleen09
swish
NYCelt
sinus007
gyso
bobheckler
14 posters

Go down

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick Empty Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick

Post by bobheckler Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/05/18/paul-pierce-boston-celtics-trade-no-1-draft-pick/101822402/

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick

AJ Neuharth-Keusch , USA TODAY Sports

Published 8:19 a.m. ET May 18, 2017 | Updated 37 minutes ago

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick 636306904805138331-USP-NBA-PLAYOFFS-NEW-YORK-KNICKS-AT-BOSTON-CELTIC-55579317
USP NBA: PLAYOFFS-NEW YORK KNICKS AT BOSTON CELTIC S BKN USA MA
(Photo: Greg M. Cooper, USA TODAY Sports)

The Boston Celtics are at a bit of a crossroads.

Not only are they in the Eastern Conference finals as the No. 1 seed, but they just landed the No. 1 overall pick in June's draft thanks to a 2013 trade with the Brooklyn Nets that's still paying dividends. The only problem? It appears, especially after Wednesday night's Game 1 rout, that they don't have nearly enough to get past LeBron James and the defending champion Cleveland Cavaliers. Not this year, and judging by James' continued dominance, probably not next year, either.

This current dilemma, albeit a good one to have, begs the question: Should the Celtics hold on to the pick (likely Washington's Markelle Fultz) and continue to build for the future, or should they take a more win-now approach and move the pick for an All-Star wing like the Indiana Pacers' Paul George or the Chicago Bulls' Jimmy Butler?

If it were up to Paul Pierce — the Celtics legend who just completed a 19-year Hall of Fame career — Boston would go with the latter.

"You trade this pick, because he cannot help the Celtics get over the top," Pierce said while making an appearance on The Jump Wednesday afternoon. "The window is now. ... You're a 50-win team, you're the No. 1 seed. You have to build on this momentum. If you can acquire a Paul George a Jimmy Butler or a Gordon (Hayward) from Utah, you have to do it."

George and Butler — who have had their names tossed around on the Celtics trade front for some time — are still under contract with their respective teams. Butler has two years left until he can become a free agent, while George, who has expressed interest in joining his hometown Los Angeles Lakers but could be incentivized to stay in Indiana long-term if he's named to one of the All-NBA teams on Thursday, has one.

Hayward — who played college ball under Celtics coach Brad Stevens at Butler — can opt out of his contract and test the unrestricted free-agency waters this summer, but the Jazz have a bit of an upper hand, as they're able to offer him a more lucrative five-year deal as opposed to a team like Boston.

"I would try to persuade Gordon to sign as a free agent," Pierce said. "You don't have to trade for him. You go out, you try to get Gordon. Now, you have a chance with the No. 1 pick to try to acquire Jimmy Butler or Paul George, you go for it. You need these guys. You want to get over the top. Boston doesn't praise winning the Eastern Conference. They're going for a championship."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick Empty Re: Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick

Post by gyso Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

The Celtics are a 50+ win team, as he says. We are on the rise, but those 50+ wins are fools gold. We had a really low point differential, so many of those wins could have gone the other way.

We barely got past the first and second rounds. We may get a couple wins in the ECF, but unless something totally unexpected happens, this will be our last series for this season.

I still think Danny Ainge keeps the pick and tries to add a guy like Gordon. Keep with the plug and play method. We'll get there and stay there longer that way.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick Empty Re: Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick

Post by bobheckler Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm

gyso wrote:The Celtics are a 50+ win team, as he says.  We are on the rise, but those 50+ wins are fools gold.  We had a really low point differential, so many of those wins could have gone the other way.

We barely got past the first and second rounds.  We may get a couple wins in the ECF, but unless something totally unexpected happens, this will be our last series for this season.

I still think Danny Ainge keeps the pick and tries to add a guy like Gordon.  Keep with the plug and play method.  We'll get there and stay there longer that way.

gyso

gyso,

But then there's this:

“Well, I think sitting here right now with the No. 1 pick in the draft, the answer obviously is yes,” Ainge said during a post-lottery press conference Tuesday night. “And sitting in the Eastern Conference finals, I think the answer is obviously yes. I think that being patient, sometimes you need to be patient. It’s hard for me to be patient. I like action."

They don't call him Trader Danny for nothing, and he's been saving his chips up for a reason.

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick CPNT6IQVAAAqKLY

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi,
Who can Danny trade for that put us on the same level as Cavs?
I don't think that PG13 or Butler or Hayward alone will be able to do it. So, DA has to be patient to seek a right deal.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 pm

BobH,

First, what's the question that Danny gives the answer to?

Second, you have said that you don't believe a word Danny says, but then you quote him. #chuckles#

I not only think Danny keeps the pick, I want him to. I certainly do not want him to break up this team to trade for Butler or George. I want him to go long term, not all in now.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 18, 2017 1:46 pm

gyso wrote:BobH,

First, what's the question that Danny gives the answer to?

Second, you have said that you don't believe a word Danny says, but then you quote him.  #chuckles#

I not only think Danny keeps the pick, I want him to.  I certainly do not want him to break up this team to trade for Butler or George.  I want him to go long term, not all in now.

gyso

gyso,

Good point, but the Danny quote I used is one that is completely consistent with years of past behavior. He didn't earn the nickname "Trader Danny" because he's a patient guy. If he tried to say that "Avery Bradley's hip pointers are no big deal", or the opposite, I wouldn't believe him because his track record on injuries is one of spreading misinformation. Saying he is trying to be patient despite it being at odds with his personality and temperament is supported by tons of evidence.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Sorry Paul, but no.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 18, 2017 2:07 pm

NYCelt wrote:Sorry Paul, but no.

Crap, I used way more words to say the same thing. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 18, 2017 2:18 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Sorry Paul, but no.

Crap, I used way more words to say the same thing. Embarassed

gyso,

You always crack me up.

I'll try and add more words later and you'll be the concise one again!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu May 18, 2017 2:44 pm

I'll take the already proven veteran super star over the could be - should be future super star of the future.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

In the past 25 years, only 4 guards have gone #1. Rose, Kyrie, Iverson, Wall. With plenty of cap money to sigh a FA or two - I will take my chances with Fultz.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 pm

If and only if Ainge trades the pick, I want Porzingis and the #8 pick for the #1 pick.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm

fierce wrote:If and only if Ainge trades the pick, I want Porzingis and the #8 pick for the #1 pick.

Not too shabby. Has to be something along those lines where we get a big and someone that can score on a consistent basis. Otherwise i keep the pick.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm

fierce wrote:If and only if Ainge trades the pick, I want Porzingis and the #8 pick for the #1 pick.

Not too shabby. Has to be something along those lines where we get a big and someone that can score on a consistent basis. Otherwise i keep the pick.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 19, 2017 6:35 am

what about Bob's idea from another thread ?

trade #1 to Philly for #3 and Okafor or Saric.

he called it the Parish type deal I think.

might make a lot of sense, especially if Danny likes Jackson or Tatum better on this draft.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 am

kdp59 wrote:what about Bob's idea from another thread ?

might make a lot of sense, especially if Danny likes Jackson or Tatum better on this draft.

Sixers will not give up Saric just for a #3 to #1 swap.

Saric is a very good player that's only going to get better.

Okafor is useless because he's so bad on defense.

Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum will be redundant because of Jaylen Brown and the possibility of Gordon Hayward coming to Boston.

Here:

http://hoopshype.com/storyline/gordon-hayward-to-celtics/

24 mins ago – via Bleacher Report
Gordon Hayward will be a free agent this summer, and buzz regarding a reunion with Brad Stevens is starting to ramp up. According to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Boston Celtics are “really focused on trying to get Gordon Hayward from Utah in free agency.” Wojnarowski added that he thinks Celtics general manager Danny Ainge will “go really hard after Hayward on July 1.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 am

Saric is a good player, he is better than Kelly right now, IMO. But he is not a GREAT player. IF Philly thinks Fultz or Ball will become a great player, I can see them making that deal.

I know there have been a lot of rumors about Hayward coming here, every since Brad come on. But how much is real?

frankly, I don't see how Hayward helps us much...not for a max or near max contract.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 am

kdp59 wrote:Saric is a good player, he is better than Kelly right now, IMO. But he is not a GREAT player. IF Philly thinks Fultz or Ball will become a great player, I can see them making that deal.

I know there have been a lot of rumors about Hayward coming here, every since Brad come on. But how much is real?

frankly, I don't see how Hayward helps us much...not for a max or near max contract.

Saric is not yet a great player, true.

But there is very little drop off in talent level from pick 1 to pick 3.

Any of the 3 among Josh Jackson, Lonzo Ball, and Markelle Fultz can go #1.

Hayward to Boston is very real.
Grousbeck has been hinting about Hayward numerous times this season.

There's a big difference between Hayward and Jae Crowder.
Crowder is just a role player.
Hayward is an all-star averaging 21.9 ppg.
Definitely it's an upgrade at the SF spot.

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 am

kdp59 wrote:what about Bob's idea from another thread ?

Philly doesn't need to move up.
They have Simmons as their PG of the future.
If Jackson is there at #3, they would be thrilled.
Jackson would be their SF for the future.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Given my man crush on Jaylen, I wasn't that big on acquiring a 228 lb. 6'8" SF who shoots .398 from the three point line, but then I saw photos of Gordon Hayward's wife. Ok. I'm all in now.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm

It is going to take Fultz 3 to 4 years to fully grow into the player you are hoping for - and by that time the window on IT and Horford will be closed.  So you need to decide are you playing a long or short game here.

Even if you add Hayward to a team with IT, Horford, Smart, Brown and Fultz are still not a championship contender.  They would be a fun team, they would be in the conversation, and if Lebron or Irving or Wall or some other big name gets hurt or traded our west or whatever- who knows.  

But The real chance for the Celtics long term is to build a team that will be ready to win in 2 or 3 years....and then be good for a fair amount of years.  By the time Jaylen, Smart, Fultz, Zicic, Yabusele, next years top pick etc are ready to make a real impact, IT and Horford will have moved on.  

The Short game - meaning you want to take advantage of the closing IT and Horford window, you have to build to deal with Lebron and that 100% means adding a number of established stars in their prime and you have to trade the pick.  With Hayward and Paul George or Jimmy Butler, along with IT Horford and you have a team that can compete with Cleveland right now, but you will have doomed the franchise to be back to mediocre after a 2 or 3 year stretch.

I vote for the long game - but who knows what will happen.  The ride will be a blast either way.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Keep the pick. Good, long term things take time!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-matters-porzingis-worse-firing-assistant-article-1.3184394

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-cut-ties-assistant-josh-longstaff-article-1.3184188

Porzingis drama increases for Knicks.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/05/18/paul-pierce-boston-celtics-trade-no-1-draft-pick/101822402/

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick

AJ Neuharth-Keusch , USA TODAY Sports

Published 8:19 a.m. ET May 18, 2017 | Updated 37 minutes ago

Paul Pierce calls for Celtics to trade No. 1 draft pick 636306904805138331-USP-NBA-PLAYOFFS-NEW-YORK-KNICKS-AT-BOSTON-CELTIC-55579317
USP NBA: PLAYOFFS-NEW YORK KNICKS AT BOSTON CELTIC S BKN USA MA
(Photo: Greg M. Cooper, USA TODAY Sports)

The Boston Celtics are at a bit of a crossroads.

Not only are they in the Eastern Conference finals as the No. 1 seed, but they just landed the No. 1 overall pick in June's draft thanks to a 2013 trade with the Brooklyn Nets that's still paying dividends. The only problem? It appears, especially after Wednesday night's Game 1 rout, that they don't have nearly enough to get past LeBron James and the defending champion Cleveland Cavaliers. Not this year, and judging by James' continued dominance, probably not next year, either.

This current dilemma, albeit a good one to have, begs the question: Should the Celtics hold on to the pick (likely Washington's Markelle Fultz) and continue to build for the future, or should they take a more win-now approach and move the pick for an All-Star wing like the Indiana Pacers' Paul George or the Chicago Bulls' Jimmy Butler?

If it were up to Paul Pierce — the Celtics legend who just completed a 19-year Hall of Fame career — Boston would go with the latter.

"You trade this pick, because he cannot help the Celtics get over the top," Pierce said while making an appearance on The Jump Wednesday afternoon. "The window is now. ... You're a 50-win team, you're the No. 1 seed. You have to build on this momentum. If you can acquire a Paul George a Jimmy Butler or a Gordon (Hayward) from Utah, you have to do it."

George and Butler — who have had their names tossed around on the Celtics trade front for some time — are still under contract with their respective teams. Butler has two years left until he can become a free agent, while George, who has expressed interest in joining his hometown Los Angeles Lakers but could be incentivized to stay in Indiana long-term if he's named to one of the All-NBA teams on Thursday, has one.

Hayward — who played college ball under Celtics coach Brad Stevens at Butler — can opt out of his contract and test the unrestricted free-agency waters this summer, but the Jazz have a bit of an upper hand, as they're able to offer him a more lucrative five-year deal as opposed to a team like Boston.

"I would try to persuade Gordon to sign as a free agent," Pierce said. "You don't have to trade for him. You go out, you try to get Gordon. Now, you have a chance with the No. 1 pick to try to acquire Jimmy Butler or Paul George, you go for it. You need these guys. You want to get over the top. Boston doesn't praise winning the Eastern Conference. They're going for a championship."

bob

Paul Pierce will never be a GM

Most notable comment references the window.  Paul may have overlooked a few facts.  The 2006-07 team that he played on also had a ton of promising young players but they were a horrible team that was coached by a guy that blamed them for losing.

That team never had an opportunity to draft at #3 and certainly did not get a chance to draft at #1.

That young team never made the playoffs.  It is a completely different set of circumstances.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down