Game 2 thoughts Empty Game 2 thoughts

Post by kdp59 Sat May 20, 2017 7:07 am

well....THAT was something!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Game 2 thoughts Empty Re: Game 2 thoughts

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 am

Just shows that the Cavs and GSW are on a different level.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 am

I think this was the first game this season where the whole team gave up.

I think most of us felt were about the 5-6th best team in the NBA this year.
Cleveland already showed us how far behind the elite teams we were when they came in here at the end of the season and blew us out.  so most of us are not surprised by them beating us soundly.

But the giving up...that's hard to see for me.

hard to see how we move from where we are now up to the next level. Horford is not going to get better, IT has been exposed as an average player in the playoffs, Bradley and Crowder cannot be counted on as secondary scorers in any game of consequence.

Like Atlanta two years ago, perhaps this group has gone as far as they can.  I think this series should turn us all away from trading the top pick now. we need the possible talent upgrade and are not close anyway (sorry Horford).

Build around Jaylen, Smart and Fultz, I say. Everyone else is expendable. if no trades Danny should NOT spend big money on any of the vets coming up for FA's in the next two years ( IT, Bradley, Kelly, etc).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 am

kdp59 wrote:I think this was the first game this season where the whole team gave up.

I think most of us felt were about the 5-6th best team in the NBA this year.
Cleveland already showed us how far behind the elite teams we were when they came in here at the end of the season and blew us out.  so most of us are not surprised by them beating us soundly.

But the giving up...that's hard to see for me.

hard to see how we move from where we are now up to the next level. Horford is not going to get better, IT has been exposed as an average player in the playoffs, Bradley and Crowder cannot be counted on as secondary scorers in any game of consequence.

Like Atlanta two years ago, perhaps this group has gone as far as they can.  I think this series should turn us all away from trading the top pick now. we need the possible talent upgrade and are not close anyway (sorry Horford).

Build around Jaylen, Smart and Fultz, I say. Everyone else is expendable. if no trades Danny should NOT spend big money on any of the vets coming up for FA's in the next two years ( IT, Bradley, Kelly, etc).

Ainge and the Celts must consider keeping Oly and IT.

Thomas was not average against the Bulls and Wizards.
It's just a case of Thomas needing more help.

Olynyk will not be too expensive, around 15m, so he's worth keeping.
Remember, next season, only Horford will be under contract.
Oly will be a restricted FA, Mickey will be gone, and Zeller is not worth keeping at 8m.

I have to agree that Bradley needs to go.
Celts can't afford to give him 20m per year.

Same with Crowder.
If the Celts need to trade him to make room for Hayward or Paul George, Ainge should do it.

The Celts can't just blow up the team and return to lottery status.
Not with Horford at 28m per year.
Celts are not in danger of exceeding the luxury tax line in the short term.
So money should not be an issue.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

Jae Crowder is locked up to a dirt cheap contract for the next 3 seasons. He's a better version of Smart who shoots the 3.

People always propose trading him just to get him off the team, it's crazy. As if you can't bring Crowder off the bench, or make Hayward earn the starting job with both guys on the team. As if you can't start Crowder at PF next to Hayward.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 am

The players that could be traded are bradley, smart, thomas. They are the ones that could bring something major back and replacing them is possible with rest of roster as long as you dont trade all of them. Trading lets say Thomas + Crowder could get a really good player back if you find the right match and balance roster some. Thomas will not be worth a max contract, not that he cant get it somewhere or even on the Celtics but at max contract level you sort of pay the same for a player like lebron and a player like thomas.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 10:47 am

swedeinestonia wrote:The players that could be traded are bradley, smart, thomas. They are the ones that could bring something major back and replacing them is possible with rest of roster as long as you dont trade all of them. Trading lets say Thomas + Crowder could get a really good player back if you find the right match and balance roster some. Thomas will not be worth a max contract, not that he cant get it somewhere or even on the Celtics but at max contract level you sort of pay the same for a player like lebron and a player like thomas.

Bradley, Smart, and Thomas will all be on their last year under contract. Can't get anything major for guys in their last year.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat May 20, 2017 10:52 am

Rmbone wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:The players that could be traded are bradley, smart, thomas. They are the ones that could bring something major back and replacing them is possible with rest of roster as long as you dont trade all of them. Trading lets say Thomas + Crowder could get a really good player back if you find the right match and balance roster some. Thomas will not be worth a max contract, not that he cant get it somewhere or even on the Celtics but at max contract level you sort of pay the same for a player like lebron and a player like thomas.

Bradley, Smart, and Thomas will all be on their last year under contract. Can't get anything major for guys in their last year.

Smart will be a matter of cost but if its max contracts for both Thomas and Bradley then I would rather keep Bradley. I dont think this team can win a championship with Thomas being a max contract player.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:16 am

Teams will not trade for Thomas because Thomas will be a free-agent next summer.

Why give up assets when you just have to wait 1 year then you can offer Thomas a contract.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 am

Awful.

Two players showed heart, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown. That is not to say Smart played well, he didn't, but at least he played hard. He was 0-6 because he wanted to make something happen and tried to create points on his own and that's not his strength (talk about understatement!).

Jaylen Brown showed something. In fact, he was the only player out there who seemed oblivious to the pressure and the score. 7-11 shooting? Against that defense? Gimme more! A coming out party for Jaylen Brown.

It wasn't just the players who had mental meltdowns, Brad did too. He starts Gerald Green to get some offense but only plays him 14 minutes? Despite him being 2-4 and hitting two 3s in a row to move the score from 9-2 to 11-8? 7 1/2 minutes in the first quarter for Green and then only 2 1/2 in the 2nd quarter? 4 minutes in the entire 2nd half, with 3 of those minutes in the "what's the point?" 4th quarter? Why bother starting him if you're going to play him those kind of minutes? We're shooting 30% after 1 and 27.5% at the half and he doesn't play our designated bench scoring machine? SERIOUS learning curve for Brad.

Kelly takes two shots, missed both (thought he was fouled on one) and gets sat and only plays 8 minutes. Is he your first big off the bench, or not? If he isn't, who is? Jerebko got 16 minutes. That's not a lot either, even though he was 2-4.

Crowder 3-9
Bradley 6-17
Smart 0-6

That's 9-32 from 3 of our most used players. 28%. We took 86 fgas, so they represent 37% of our entire offensive shots. Can't win shooting like that, against anybody.

We gave up a 32 points first quarter and a 40 point 2nd quarter. We gave up 40 point quarters against Washington too. That is pathetically poor defense, and it isn't just this game or just the World Champion Cleveland Cavaliers. We are neither an exceptional offensive team like GSW, Cleveland and even Washington nor are we an exceptional defensive team. We are a one-legged stool on offense and too small on defense.

Cavaliers shot 48.7% from 3. Can't win when a team is shooting like that either. It doesn't matter if it's the Cavs or GSW or the Brooklyn Nyets. Any team that shoots 48.7% from 3 is probably going to win especially when they take 39 of them and their fga is 85. That's 45.9% of their fgas. 45.9% of their fgas were 3s and they hit 48.7% of them. Could we have defended the 3pt shot better? I'm sure we could have, but even if we knocked them down to 40% that's still good enough to win if 45.9% of their fgas are 3s.

In my opinion, we need offensive players. Killers. More players like Gerald Green. Is he a liability on defense? Yeah, but today's defenses are swarming defenses more so than man-to-man. Would a rim protector have helped? Sure, but how much? If you're hitting 48% of your 3s and 45% of your shots are 3s, what's a rim protector defending against?

Mickey with 5 rebounds in 10 minutes. Against their scrubs, true, but 5 rebounds.

I've talked about the difference between regular season experience and playoff experience. That's what we saw last night. They have playoff experience up to two Finals and are the World Champions. We, including Brad, got schooled by pros. There's only one way to get that experience, I just wish it wasn't quite so painful.

Gotta love the fans, though, cheering "Let's Go Celtics" despite getting blow-torched.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 am

Rmbone wrote:Jae Crowder is locked up to a dirt cheap contract for the next 3 seasons. He's a better version of Smart who shoots the 3.

People always propose trading him just to get him off the team, it's crazy. As if you can't bring Crowder off the bench, or make Hayward earn the starting job with both guys on the team. As if you can't start Crowder at PF next to Hayward.

If the Celts are going after Hayward or Paul George then Crowder is redundant because the Celts still have Jaylen Brown.

Jae Crowder's trade value is very high because he's a good player and his contract is dirt cheap, like you said.
That's why he's the most tradable player on the roster.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am

I have been an AB supporter for the last couple of years, thinking that what he brings defensively is so important to this team. However, my thinking is fast changing. First of all, it is so hard to consider that he is the "second" choice in the scoring department. Those couple of games where he just went off for 28 and 27 points respectively were a joy to watch. I kept thinking "yest there is the Avery I have been waiting for" Then he disappeared. I know he uses alot of his energy guarding the best players in the backcourt But that excuse is wearing thin.
We need someone who can put the ball in the hole time after time, someone to really rely on and Avery is not it. His contract is going to be up next year and there is no way he is going to be worth the money he will be looking for, at least on this team. He would be fortunate to go to a team who does not need his offense, and he can totally concentrate on his defense, aka, Tony Allen. That is what I see for him. To keep him if we were to get a big shooter would be hard to do financially.
I never thought alot about the Celtics giving Bradley the kind of money he wants, but now, even a person like me with minimal understanding of the cap, can see that it would be almost impossible to keep him. Expecially if we are keeping IT. (and that is another story for another post)

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:24 am

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:Jae Crowder is locked up to a dirt cheap contract for the next 3 seasons. He's a better version of Smart who shoots the 3.

If the Celts are going after Hayward or Paul George then Crowder is redundant because the Celts still have Jaylen Brown.

Jae Crowder's trade value is very high because he's a good player and his contract is dirt cheap, like you said.

If Crowder can play minutes at SF and PF, and Hayward can only play 35 minutes anyway, Crowder isn't redundant. And your grass-is-greener view of Hayward ignores the fact that Hayward would get absolutely destroyed by LeBron, much worse than Crowder. The East goes through LeBron, and you want to make a massive defensive downgrade at SF and trade Crowder even though there's plenty of minutes for both Hayward and Crowder.

What do you want to trade Crowder for, anyway? Another ball dominant guy in addition to IT, Hayward, and Fultz? How many ball dominant guys do you want?

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:25 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I have been an AB supporter for the last couple of years, thinking that what he brings defensively is so important to this team. However, my thinking is fast changing.  First of all, it is so hard to consider that he is the "second" choice in the scoring department. Those couple of games where he just went off for 28 and 27 points respectively were a joy to watch. I kept thinking "yest there is the Avery I have been waiting for"  Then he disappeared. I know he uses alot of his energy guarding the best players in the backcourt But that excuse is wearing thin.
We need someone who can put the ball in the hole time after time, someone to really rely on and Avery is not it.  His contract is going to be up next year and there is no way he is going to be worth the money he will be looking for, at least on this team.  He would be fortunate to go to a team who does not need his offense, and he can totally concentrate on his defense, aka, Tony Allen.  That is what I see for him.  To keep him if we were to get a big shooter would be hard to do financially.  
I never thought alot about the Celtics giving Bradley the kind of money he wants, but now, even a person like me with minimal understanding of the cap, can see that it would be almost impossible to keep him.  Expecially if we are keeping IT. (and that is another story for another post)

Rosalie

Definitely.

Bradley will be asking for around 20m per year.

Time for him to go.

Game 2 against the Cavs is proof that no matter how good you are on defense, the star players are unguardable.

Lebron, Kyrie, and Love all got 20 or more points.

Celtics are not going to win a championship with Thomas and a bunch of average or above average players.

Last time Ainge and the Celtics had 3 star players, Celts won a championship.

Ainge just needs to add more star power to this current Celtics team.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am

Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:

If Crowder can play minutes at SF and PF, and Hayward can only play 35 minutes anyway, Crowder isn't redundant. And your grass-is-greener view of Hayward ignores the fact that Hayward would get absolutely destroyed by LeBron, much worse than Crowder. The East goes through LeBron, and you want to make a massive defensive downgrade at SF and trade Crowder even though there's plenty of minutes for both Hayward and Crowder.

What do you want to trade Crowder for, anyway? Another ball dominant guy in addition to IT, Hayward, and Fultz? How many ball dominant guys do you want?

First, I'm not really a die-hard fan of Hayward.
I'm only saying Hayward because according to reports, Celts are all in for Hayward.

Second, you keep forgetting that we have a future star in Jaylen Brown and his natural position is SF.

And third, for the Celts to keep Olynyk and sign Hayward, the Celts must shed some salary.
Right now Crowder has the most trade value.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am

bobheckler wrote:Awful.

Two players showed heart, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown.  That is not to say Smart played well, he didn't, but at least he played hard.  He was 0-6 because he wanted to make something happen and tried to create points on his own and that's not his strength (talk about understatement!).  

Jaylen Brown showed something.  In fact, he was the only player out there who seemed oblivious to the pressure and the score.  7-11 shooting?  Against that defense?  Gimme more!  A coming out party for Jaylen Brown.

It wasn't just the players who had mental meltdowns, Brad did too.  He starts Gerald Green to get some offense but only plays him 14 minutes?  Despite him being 2-4 and hitting two 3s in a row to move the score from 9-2 to 11-8?  7 1/2 minutes in the first quarter for Green and then only 2 1/2 in the 2nd quarter?  4 minutes in the entire 2nd half, with 3 of those minutes in the "what's the point?" 4th quarter?  Why bother starting him if you're going to play him those kind of minutes?  We're shooting 30% after 1 and 27.5% at the half and he doesn't play our designated bench scoring machine?  SERIOUS learning curve for Brad.

Kelly takes two shots, missed both (thought he was fouled on one) and gets sat and only plays 8 minutes.  Is he your first big off the bench, or not?  If he isn't, who is?  Jerebko got 16 minutes.  That's not a lot either, even though he was 2-4.

Crowder 3-9
Bradley 6-17
Smart 0-6

That's 9-32 from 3 of our most used players.  28%.  We took 86 fgas, so they represent 37% of our entire offensive shots.  Can't win shooting like that, against anybody.

We gave up a 32 points first quarter and a 40 point 2nd quarter.  We gave up 40 point quarters against Washington too.  That is pathetically poor defense, and it isn't just this game or just the World Champion Cleveland Cavaliers.  We are neither an exceptional offensive team like GSW, Cleveland and even Washington nor are we an exceptional defensive team.  We are a one-legged stool on offense and too small on defense.

Cavaliers shot 48.7% from 3.  Can't win when a team is shooting like that either.  It doesn't matter if it's the Cavs or GSW or the Brooklyn Nyets.  Any team that shoots 48.7% from 3 is probably going to win especially when they take 39 of them and their fga is 85.  That's 45.9% of their fgas.  45.9% of their fgas were 3s and they hit 48.7% of them.  Could we have defended the 3pt shot better?  I'm sure we could have, but even if we knocked them down to 40% that's still good enough to win if 45.9% of their fgas are 3s.

In my opinion, we need offensive players.  Killers.  More players like Gerald Green.  Is he a liability on defense?  Yeah, but today's defenses are swarming defenses more so than man-to-man.  Would a rim protector have helped?  Sure, but how much?  If you're hitting 48% of your 3s and 45% of your shots are 3s, what's a rim protector defending against?

Mickey with 5 rebounds in 10 minutes.  Against their scrubs, true, but 5 rebounds.

I've talked about the difference between regular season experience and playoff experience.  That's what we saw last night.  They have playoff experience up to two Finals and are the World Champions. We, including Brad, got schooled by pros.  There's only one way to get that experience, I just wish it wasn't quite so painful.

Gotta love the fans, though, cheering "Let's Go Celtics" despite getting blow-torched.

bob

Bob, IT and Bradley are the worst defensive starting backcourt in the entire NBA. They're also the shortest backcourt in the entire NBA. They're not as far off from Gerald Green as people think. And the problem with this type of player is that when their shot isn't falling, they kill you with their bad/mediocre defense.

I feel like Bradley always gets a pass because he has a reputation as a good defender, a reputation that is out-dated and generally overblown in the first place. And IT is literally the worst defender in the league.

We give IT and Bradley a pass defensively because they're short, but if we had a taller PG and a taller SG, we wouldn't get blown out every time our PG or SG are having an off shooting night.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 am

Rmbone

I agree that Bradley has to go.
Fultz will replace Bradley.

But Celtics need Thomas.
Celts are just a lottery team without IT.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 am

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:

First, I'm not really a die-hard fan of Hayward.
I'm only saying Hayward because according to reports, Celts are all in for Hayward.

Second, you keep forgetting that we have a future star in Jaylen Brown and his natural position is SF.

And third, for the Celts to keep Olynyk and sign Hayward, the Celts must shed some salary.
Right now Crowder has the most trade value.

Jaylen's best position might be shooting guard. And from that position he can help Crowder out on LeBron. Much more than Bradley or Fultz could help out on LeBron.

Crowder is the best built guy to slow LeBron down, even a tad. And I'm pretty sure that even if the Celtics are interested in Hayward, they're not chomping at the bit to trade Crowder, especially not for cap space. Crowder would guard LeBron, Hayward would guard somebody else, like Love.

You want to weaken the defense and roll the dice on winning offensive shoot outs to win the next title. And you still haven't even mentioned who or what you're so damn interested in trading Crowder for.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 am

fierce wrote:Rmbone

But Celtics need Thomas.

Fultz isn't even necessarily an upgrade over Bradley, because he's a defensive downgrade, and his good scoring with the ball in his hands can't be fully utilized with IT on the court.

Jaylen Brown though is a clear upgrade at SG over Bradley. 35 lbs stronger, 5 inches taller, more athletic, and not much of a drop off as a shooter. Better rebounder, and much better help defender against SFs, PFs, and Cs than little Avery.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:38 am

Rmbone

Jaylen Brown is not a SG.
His ball-handling is not that good.
In college, he was a slasher, someone who can overpower weaker defenders.

Nobody can beat Lebron now.
He's just too good right now.
All the Celts have to do is wait 2 more years.
By that time, Lebron will be on the decline.

I want Jae Crowder, Bradley, and the 2018 Nets picks, with protection, traded for Paul George.
That way the Celts will not need to go after Hayward.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 am

Rmbone wrote:

But Celtics need Thomas.

Fultz isn't even necessarily an upgrade over Bradley, because he's a defensive downgrade, and his good scoring with the ball in his hands can't be fully utilized with IT on the court.

Jaylen Brown though is a clear upgrade at SG over Bradley. 35 lbs stronger, 5 inches taller, more athletic, and not much of a drop off as a shooter. Better rebounder, and much better help defender against SFs, PFs, and Cs than little Avery.

You're putting too much emphasis on defense.
In the old NBA, you would be correct.
But the new NBA is more on schemes and help defense.

Just look at the Cavs.
Love and Kyrie are really not good defenders.
Only Shumpert is a good defender on the Cavs roster.

Let's just put it this way, a team of 5 Jae Crowders will not beat a team composed of 5 Gordon Haywards.

Jae Crowder is just a role player.
Celtics need stars.

Last night's Game 2 was an example of how stars dominate the NBA.
Lebron, Love, and Kyrie all scored 20 or more points.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:46 am

Jaylen Brown is not a SG.
His ball-handling is not that good.
In college, he was a slasher, someone who can overpower weaker defenders.

Nobody can beat Lebron now.
He's just too good right now.
All the Celts have to do is wait 2 more years.
By that time, Lebron will be on the decline.

I want Jae Crowder, Bradley, and the 2018 Nets picks, with protection, traded for Paul George.
That way the Celts will not need to go after Hayward.

How good is Avery's ball handling Fierce? In college Jaylen was a slasher, someone who can overpower weaker defenders? How many shooting guards in the NBA is Jaylen unable to overpower? Just about zero.

The Celtics were literally better with Jaylen starting at SG when Bradley was injured, than they were with Bradley starting. +1.7 vs +1.4. Jaylen even shot 40% from 3 as a starter.

They way to compensate for tiny IT's terrible defense isn't with a 6'2 SG, or even a 6'4 SG like Fultz. Jaylen has superstar SG written all over him.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat May 20, 2017 11:48 am

fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:

But Celtics need Thomas.

Just look at the Cavs.

Let's just put it this way, a team of 5 Jae Crowders will not beat a team composed of 5 Gordon Haywards.

Celtics need stars.

Did you just pretend that LeBron isn't a good defender? And Kyrie isn't a good defender in the regular season, but he's a talented defender who steps it up in the playoffs.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:48 am

If Crowder can slow down Lebron, I haven't noticed that in 2 games against the Cavs.

In Game 1 Lebron had 38 points in 42 minutes.

Last night Lebron had 30 points in 33 minutes.

There is no defense for guys like Lebron and Durant.
They will always score no matter what.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 am

Rmbone wrote:
fierce wrote:
Rmbone wrote:

But Celtics need Thomas.

Just look at the Cavs.

Celtics need stars.

Did you just pretend that LeBron isn't a good defender? And Kyrie isn't a good defender in the regular season, but he's a talented defender who steps it up in the playoffs.

It's a given that Lebron is a good defender.

I don't buy that argument that Kyrie is not a good defender in the regular season and he becomes a talented defender in the playoffs.
That's very subjective.

The point is the NBA of today does not require you to be a very good defender to win a championship.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next