POST GAME CLEVELAND - AWAY - SERIES 3 - GAME 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POST GAME CLEVELAND - AWAY - SERIES 3 - GAME 3

Post by 112288 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 pm

Avery Bradley hits 3 to shock Cavaliers at buzzer in Game 3, Marcus Smart huge

WEEI

By Mike Petraglia

The Celtics pulled off a miracle Sunday night.

Avery Bradley’s 3-point shot spun on the back on the rim and fell through with 0.1 seconds left to lift the Celtics to a shocking 111-108 win over the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference finals.

The win narrows Cleveland’s lead to 2-1 in the best-of-7 series and snaps Cleveland’s 13-game record-tying playoff win streak.  

Playing without Isaiah Thomas, out for the rest of the playoffs with a right hip injury (and reportedly a right hip labrum tear that could require surgery), the Celtics overcame a 21-point second-half deficit.

Marcus Smart finished with 27 points on 7-of-10 3-point shooting. Game 4 will be Tuesday night in Cleveland before the series moves back to Boston for Game 5 Thursday.

Using a scorching first-half display from Kevin Love and another powerful effort from Tristan Thompson, the Cavaliers seemed on their way to setting a new NBA playoff standard with their 14th consecutive postseason win while pulling within one game of the NBA finals for a third straight season and putting LeBron James in the finals for a seventh straight season.

The Celtics went with a starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Al Horford and Amir Johnson. Midway through the first quarter, Johnson had to go to the locker room with team doctor Brian McKeon after injuring his shoulder. Johnson would return to action in the second quarter.

The Cavaliers came out on fire from deep, hitting nine threes in the first quarter, a NBA playoff high this season for a quarter. Kevin Love was a one-man wrecking crew, draining five of his seven 3-point attempts, falling one shy of the NBA playoff mark for a single quarter set by Boston’s Antoine Walker in 2002 in the Game 3 against Philadelphia.

Overall, the Cavaliers hit 9-of-13 from deep to take a 35-24 lead after the first quarter. The Cavaliers were 11-0f-17 from the field in the first quarter and the nine threes were the most in the playoffs since Boston drilled nine against Philadelphia in the decisive Game 5 33-point blowout on May 3, 2002.

Down 44-29, the Celtics used a 7-0 run to cut the lead down to eight.

Love continued to kill the Celtics in the second, hitting two more threes and then with a minute to go, he took a handoff from J.R. Smith under the Cavs basket and executed a perfect length-of-the-court chest pass that dropped into the hands of LeBron James for a layup.

On the next possession, J.R. Smith hit an off-balance 3-pointer to give the Cavaliers their biggest lead at 66-48. There was simply not much the Celtics could do but shrug. The Cavaliers made exactly 60 percent of their shots (21-of-35) in the opening half. Love finished the first half making 7-of-10 from 3-point range and 22 points. James had just eight points and the Cavaliers still led, 66-50, at the half.

It was the most-competitive half of the series to this point in the series. The Cavaliers led by 22 points in at the half of Game 1 and 41 points in Game 2.

The Cavaliers quickly built their lead up to 20 points in the first two minutes of the third quarter before getting a bit sloppy. LeBron James had a layup at the rim and gave it up for a bounce pass in the paint for Tristan Thompson. It resulted in a turnover.

The Celtics were getting destroyed on the glass, giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound and not getting many second-chance chances with the exception of a Kelly Olynyk put-back four minutes into the the third.

What Sunday night in Cleveland showed was not how much the Celtics miss Isaiah Thomas. It that they are simply not on the same talent level with the bigger, strong Cavaliers.

Using a pair of threes from Smart, the Celtics went on a 12-2 run to cut Cleveland’s lead to 79-67. A third Smart three (and fourth straight by the Celtics) with just over four minutes left in the period narrowed Cleveland’s advantage to 80-70.

Bradley’s three with three minutes left cut the lead to single digits, 84-75. Jonas Jerebko nailed a three with 1:45 left to trim the lead to seven and then a Smart-to-Olynyk touchdown pass cut the lead to five, 85-80. Thompson was fouled by Smart on a layup with 9.4 seconds remaining. Thompson missed the free throw and then Smart was fouled shooting a three by Iman Shumpert with two seconds remaining and connected on two of three free throws to cut the lead to 87-82 as the Celtics closed the quarter on a 26-10 run.

The Cavaliers missed all seven threes while Boston was 6-of-9 from deep in the third.

Jonas Jerebko opened the fourth with a three to cut the margin to two points, 87-85. Terry Rozier blew a 4-on-1 layup as Thompson blocked his layup attempt. Thompson hit four free throws to put Cleveland back up six, 91-85.

After a clutch drive by Kyrie Irving, Smart hit his fourth three. Another Cleveland turnover led to an Avery Bradley missed layup but a Crowder put-back that brought the Celtics within one, 93-92, with 7:09 left.

Then Smart nailed his seventh three to tie the game, 95-95, with 5:44 remaining. Then immediately out of a timeout, J.R. Smith hit a corner three. Olynyk came back with a layup to cut the lead down to one, 98-97.

Olynyk’s push shot in the lane with 4:22 left gave the Celtics the lead, 99-98, their first since 5-3.

Love and Thompson came up huge with offensive rebounds in the next possession. Thompson grabbed a big rebound and was fouled and make a free throw to tie the game. He missed the second free throw, leading to an offensive rebound by Thompson and a missed three by J.R. Smith. But Love came from the weak side to tip in the miss for a 101-99 Cleveland lead.

Horford’s two with 3:08 left tied the game, 101-101. But upon review, it was changed to a three. The Irving drove the lane for a layup to put Cleveland up, 103-102. J.R. Smith fouled Smart shooting a three with 1:19 left. Smart made two of three to put Boston up, 104-103.

Following a backdown move for a layup from Horford, Smith’s straightaway three with 36.3 left tied the game again, 106-106, as Jae Crowder doubled down on LeBron James.

Jonas Jerebko hit a wing jumper with 30.3 seconds left to put the Celtics up, 108-106. With James killing the shot clock, he eventually dished to Deron Williams who found Irving. Irving then drove the lane and tied the game with 10.7 seconds remaining on a layup, setting the stage for Bradley’s game-winner.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Celtics shock Cavs 111-108 in Game 3 on Bradley's last-second 3-pointer

CSNNE

By A. Sherrod Blakely May 21, 2017 11:08 PM

CLEVELAND – We have seen this Boston Celtics team play at their best when their backs were to the wall.

But this Cleveland team is a different kind of challenge, one that the Boston Celtics simply aren’t built to beat right now.

Here’s the thing.

Someone forgot to tell this to Celtics who pulled off an amazing 111-108 win with Avery Bradley’s last-second 3-pointer that hit the back of the rim, took four bounces before settling on falling through the bottom of the net for the Celtics’ victory.

Marcus Smart scored a playoff career-high 27 points while Bradley had 20 points. Boston got major contributions off the bench with Kelly Olynyk and Jonas Jerebko chipping in 15 and 10 points, respectively.

Kyrie Irving led all scorers with 29 points while Kevin Love had 28 points and 10 rebounds.

Boston now trails Cleveland 2-1 in the best-of-seven series, with Game 4 in Cleveland on Tuesday and Game 5 back in Boston on Thursday.

The first quarter began with Boston doing the seemingly impossible – striking first.

Al Horford’s lay-up gave Boston a 2-point lead, their first lead in the series.

But the good times didn’t last long, with J.R. Smith draining a 3-pointer moments later.

Cleveland would continue to surge ahead in the quarter, but there was a different feel tonight.

Even though the Cavs played with a lead most of the quarter, Boston seemed to be doing enough to keep the game within arm’s reach.

Making that even more impressive was it was coming without their leading scorer, Isaiah Thomas, whose right hip injury that was re-aggravated in Game 2 will keep him out for the rest of the playoffs.

Even with Thomas out and the Celtics fielding a better defensive unit with Marcus Smart and Amir Johnson starting, Cleveland’s perimeter shooting was once again a major problem for Boston.

How bad was it?

The Cavs shot 64.7 percent in the first quarter on 11-for-17 shooting, which included them connecting on 9-for-13 of their first-quarter 3’s as Kevin Love led the way with five made 3’s of his own.

Cleveland, which led by as many as 50 points in their Game 2 beatdown in Boston, were in control but never led by more than 18 in the first half.

And that came on a 3-pointer by Smith with 21.9 seconds to play in the half.

Following a Celtics time-out, Smart drove into the lane for the last points of the half which ended with Boston trailing 66-50.

Last edited by 112288 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME CLEVELAND - AWAY - SERIES 3 - GAME 3

Post by 112288 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:20 pm

TAKE THAT!

NOW WE HAVE A SERIES!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 pm

With the win, this series is going back to Boston.  Many in the crowd at the end of the game last Friday thought it was the last home game of the season.

Please sir, I want some more.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Sun May 21, 2017 11:59 pm

gyso wrote:With the win, this series is going back to Boston.  Many in the crowd at the end of the game last Friday thought it was the last home game of the season.

Please sir, I want some more.

And more you will have....

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Mon May 22, 2017 12:16 am

Reggie Jackson reincarnate - Marcus Smart!!!!!!!
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone on Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 am

Celtics held Cavs to 42 points in the second half. Last game they had a 41 point lead at halftime.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 am

Cleveland has many times given up a big lead this season.
Lebron seemed like he didn't take this game seriously.
I was thinking that maybe he is under the weather.
Boston's effort was so much greater than Cleveland's in the 2nd half.
Marcus was amazing tonight.
I'm amazed that Cleveland lost this game.
Boston deserved to get the win.
Their will to win was way stronger than Clevelands.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone on Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 am

Smart's now shooting 41% from 3 in the playoffs. IT: 33% from 3.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 am

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Mon May 22, 2017 2:43 am

According to Brian Windhorst on ESPN, Lebron got into it with a fan after the game. After being heckled by a fan in his own building, Lebron asked the guy. "What have you done?" The fan said that he had played local high school basketball. For just heckling him, Windhorst reported that Lebron asked security to have the fan ejected. Also, Windhorst reported Lebron didn't like one of the long-time local radio reporter's questions and told him not to ask him a question the rest of his career. A bit thin-skinned maybe?

http://hosted2.ap.org/TNCLE/6a48b8c81d1747c3b4a3f6d040f80a72/Article_2017-05-22-BKN--LeBron%20Struggles/id-0a9d5657bde8421eb925c0f89eb0e26d

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Mon May 22, 2017 5:30 am

How many times did "the great one" try to go solo and ended up getting stripped or putting up a poor shot?  Watch the play near the end when he tries to back down then passed out to Smith for the three ball..... he traveled when the proverbial chair got pulled out.  Yet there was no call.  

Sick of him.  

He handles adversity so well.  

So glad we can push um to at least a game 5!

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Mon May 22, 2017 7:29 am

we showed a lot of pride and as Brad says "Grit and grind" last night.

Smart looked like Dennis Johnson for one game at least.

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Mon May 22, 2017 9:03 am

Lebron played poorly and admitted it. He told the local reporter that he only asked questions when they lost. I don`t know what their history is. I saw the interchange though, and it was obvious that the guy was pressing for the answer he wanted to hear and LBJ wasn`t going for it. As for the exchange with the fan, I`ll take it with a grain of salt. "The great one " is indeed a great one, and he has the rings, with two different groups, to prove it. What I`m sick of is him beating us. Great final play diagrammed by Stevens. I thought the shot was too flat coming out of Bradley`s  hand , but the basketball gods decided, correctly , that the green team deserved the win.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 on Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am

Just gonna leave this here.

CLE - 36 FT
BOS - 12 FT

mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 am

Total different look at both ends without IT.

Best game ever by Marcus. And a total team effort. Lebron did not have the high energy level.

Celts added another notch in what has been a most improbable season. I thought the defensive intensity was ramped up. The ball did not stick on offense. This was a prideful win.

dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 am

SHOCK THE WORLD!!!  Oh my God what a win!!  I went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this game (how sad.  I used to wake up thinking of naked women and now I'm thinking about a bunch of scantily-dressed sweaty men.  Oh well, I'll get back to normal after basketball season is over).  It didn't look like it would be for the first 29:21 minutes, we were down 21 with 6:39 left in the 3rd after being down 15 at the half.  Tristan Thompson had just gotten another offensive rebound and put it in for 2 and the score was 77-56.  It looked like we were on our way to a 3rd Pride-less blowout loss.  What happened at 6:39 left in the 3rd that started the turn?  Jonas Jerebko checked into the game for Al Horford, that's what.  From that point on the deficit kept shrinking and shrinking and shrinking.  Smart hit a 3.  Kelly hit both fritos on a foul and Jae hit a 3 and Lue called a TO to stop the bleeding, with the lead down to 15.  Out of Cleveland's TO Marcus blocked a LeBron layup  and 20,562 fans in Quickens Loans Arena and a couple hundred million people world-wide had to pop their eyes back in their heads after seeing that  Then Smart hit two consecutive 3s and Kelly gets fouled again and hits 1 of 2 and the deficit is down to 10 with 4:11 left in the 3rd.  11 points gone off their lead in 2:28.

Not one of those points that I mentioned above were scored by Jonas, but he produced an oversized impact on the game.  He brought some bad boy attitude.  I don't know what Deron Williams said or did to him that made Jonas want to make Deron his personal whipping boy, but that's what happened.  Jonas is trotting straight up court.  Deron is in his way.  Jonas doesn't even pretend to try to avoid him, he just runs straight through him and bounces Deron back 5'.  Deron stands there again and Jonas pops him backward again.  A foul was called, I think on Jonas, but it was the best foul I've seen in a while.  A message was sent.  You are NOT stopping me and if you get in my way I'm going through you.  In another sequence he set a back pick on Deron and gave it a little extra hip action to make sure Deron knew he was being picked off.  I was saying on the Game On thread Brad should put Jonas on Love.  At halftime, Jonas had not yet entered the game.  In the 3rd quarter, Kevin Love was 0-3 and in the 4th quarter he was 1-2.  He had 22 points on 7-11, 7-for-freaking-10 from 3 at halftime but ended the game with 28 points on 8-16 and 7-13 from 3.  That's a 1-5 2nd half.  After killing us from 3 all game (all series!!) he goes 1-2 from 3.  Don't be surprised if Brad starts Jonas in Game 4.  He is the perfect combination of length and foot speed necessary to guard Kevin Love at the arc and still be able to keep up with him if he gives-and-goes, or pnrs or tries to dribble drive.  Amir doesn't like to go out to the arc and lacks foot speed and Kelly will go out to the arc but his man-to-man defense reminds me a bit of Chris Ford's.  Chris Ford was 6'5", big for his time, but the slowest player in the NBA.  He couldn't beat anybody in a foot race.  So he'd lay off his man a bit, so he could cut the angle if he tried to blow past him but not so far he couldn't step up and bother the shot with his length.  Kelly does the same.  He plays off a bit so he doesn't get beat and tries to use his length to bother a shot.  The problem is that Love is one of those players who is very content to stay out at 3pt line and bomb away and he has the length to negate Kelly's.  Jonas is our designated Love-killer.  Danny traded for Jeff Green because he saw the league was heading towards uber-athletic 3s and wanted one of his own.  I hope he sees Jonas as a player who can stop the new breed of stretch 4s and can bring him back for the right price.  Might not be any room for him but...

What is it about Marcus Smart that he needs pressure to perform?  The absolute worst shooter in the NBA, can't throw the ball in the ocean from the edge of the pier, but when the money is down and big plays and big shots are required he gets it done on both ends of the court.  8-14 and 7-10 from 3 but, at halftime, he was only 3-6 for 8 points.  A 5-8 19 point 2nd half.  By far the best player on the floor last night, either team.  He has been called "the greatest flopper in the history of the NBA" on Shaqtin' A Fool.  I wish I had heard what Shaq said about Marcus' game last night!  A 19 point 2nd half for Mahcus Smaht.  I never thought I'd ever say that but I don't know why not.  Didn't I expect him to ever be in a pressure situation?

Bradley got all those lucky bounces on the game winner, but he was 7-22 before that shot and was 3-8 for the game at the rim.  He hits just one more bunny, like he should have, and we wouldn't have needed his buzzer-beater.

Kelly was 5-8 for 15 points in 23 minutes.  He had 5 points on 1-2 in 8 minutes at halftime.  So, a big 2nd half for Kelly as part of the rally.  13 points on 4-6 in 15 minutes.  And, of course, getting booed every time he touched the ball.  You know you're doing something right when you are getting booed in road arenas.  If that means being the bastard love child of Jungle Jim Loscutoff and Killer Kowalski and ripping Kevin Love's arm out or dropping Kelly Oubre like a sack of potatoes, well, then, whatever works works for me.  That's bad boy attitude too and I love it.  I just wish we'd see it more consistently.

91 fgas for the Celtics vs 70 for the Cavaliers.  A HUGE stat.  Another huge stat?  36 ftas for Cleveland vs only 12 for us.  We were going inside, we just weren't getting whistles.

Jaylen Brown with an underwhelming game after a few good ones.  A couple of badly blown defensive assignments got him limited to 13 minutes, only 5 in the 2nd half.  He left Korver alone in the corner (never, ever do that again, Jaylen!) and he took his eye off LBJ on an inbounds and LBJ got an alley oop inbound pass.  

And so ends Cleveland's 13 game playoff winning streak.

We're still down 2-1, but we're not getting swept even without IT.  We are, and have been for the last 3 games, playing with the house money.  All I was looking for from this series was more high-quality, high-pressure playoff experience for Brad and our players.  Getting clubbed like baby harp seals in games 1 & 2 isn't what I had in mind, but last night's effort absolutely, positively was.  Last night was a growth experience for us and that will serve us in future years because, no matter what some people would like us to do, Danny is NOT gutting this team.  Many of them will be back and this lesson will stay with them.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400953696

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 am

Celts took 91 shots and the Cavs took only 70.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Mon May 22, 2017 10:56 am

As great as Marcus was last night I'm still going to say he can't shoot or run an offense before the next game too! lol
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am

Lots of great defensive sequences here.  At the risk of having ktronic and Cowens' and a few other members' heads explode, check out how many good defensive sequences had Kelly in them.  He didn't block shots but he was in position and forced tougher shots, which they missed.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Mon May 22, 2017 11:37 am

You are so right Bob. ManlyMan Kelly played decent D. Regarding Jerebko on Love, what a good match up for us. I call that white on white crime. Jonas came with such an aggressive attitude. It sparked the entire team. Wow!
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon May 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Solid contributions from unexpected sources.

Who will step up in game 4?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Nice to see players that are on milk cartons and have cobweb in their armpits be ready when called upon

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Mon May 22, 2017 8:53 pm

What I want to see is competitive basketball.  The first two games were hideous.

Win or lose we expect this team to play with a purpose.  If Boston is able to win game 4 it would turn this series upside down.

At least they are guaranteed another game in Boston.  

The Celtics have quickly adjusted to life after IT but we should not expect Marcus to carry us.   We will need A games from multiple players.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat on Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm

dboss wrote:What I want to see is competitive basketball.  The first two games were hideous.

Win or lose we expect this team to play with a purpose.  If Boston is able to win game 4 it would turn this series upside down.

At least they are guaranteed another game in Boston.  

The Celtics have quickly adjusted to life after IT but we should not expect Marcus to carry us.   We will need A games from multiple players.

dboss

Very true...

Any one of several players could go off and make 6-7 treys.  Gonna be difficult to key on any one of our players for the Cavs as they will have no clue as to who the alpha dog of the night might be...hell we don't know either.  

Gonna be fun to watch ..win or loose cause you know the Cavs will come out swinging...we just need to get thru the first quarter keeping it close if we can do that might have another shocker in store.

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top