Isaiah Thomas: I'm for signing free agents over contract extension

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Isaiah Thomas: I'm for signing free agents over contract extension

Post by fierce on Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 am

dboss wrote:
fierce wrote:kdp59

Here's the article from the Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/21/you-wondering-about-isaiah-thomas-contract-situation/XIup9ZOCD58Fvq82iDLvWL/story.html

If the Celtics want to extend two-time All-Star Isaiah Thomas this summer, they would have to use cap space to reach a potential maximum deal. Or Thomas could accept a three-year extension that would start at 120 percent of what he would earn in the final year of his current deal — $6.2 million.

You have to use cap space to sign everybody.  There are no exceptions.  

By July 1st  we may start to see some new deals.

dboss

There are instances where teams can go over the cap to sign their own player/s.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 am

fierce wrote:
dboss wrote:
fierce wrote:kdp59

Here's the article from the Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/21/you-wondering-about-isaiah-thomas-contract-situation/XIup9ZOCD58Fvq82iDLvWL/story.html

If the Celtics want to extend two-time All-Star Isaiah Thomas this summer, they would have to use cap space to reach a potential maximum deal. Or Thomas could accept a three-year extension that would start at 120 percent of what he would earn in the final year of his current deal — $6.2 million.

You have to use cap space to sign everybody.  There are no exceptions.  

By July 1st  we may start to see some new deals.

dboss

There are instances where teams can go over the cap to sign their own player/s.

Yes I know.  Bird Rights, the MLE, the bi-annual, vet minimum...

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm

We have full Bird rights for Isaiah this year. That's three years, starting with his new contract with the Suns during the summer of 2014.

Can a team extend an existing contract and increase a player's salary using Bird rights or does it have to be a totally new contract?

I think I'll go look for the answer.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue May 30, 2017 1:37 pm

The way I read it, the Bird Exception is for signing your own free agents. A player that gets a salary extension is not a free agent.

Bird rights cannot be used in extending a current player under contract.

Does anyone read it differently?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

IT is too intelligent to sign an extension this summer.  If you go back and check Fierce's comment, Thomas can only get $7.4 M in his first year of an extension, and he is fully aware of these numbers.  He will likely get a max or a near max for the same 2019 season that would be the first year of an "extension", and that max or near max will be for at least four years (and, maybe five?) while an extension would be for three seasons.

He (Thomas) certainly has no plans to pass on that much difference in salary (even with possible injury) to go the "extension" route this summer.  He will very happily gamble/wait until next summer to re-sign with the Cs.

If it looks like he is concerned about the team getting better, I am sure that he is, but remember that he can still  buy milk and bread for his two little kids and his wife on the $6.8 M he is already contracted for in the 2018 season.  His $6.8 for 2017-18 is about FIVE MILLION more than I ever made in my entire working career, and I was always able to feed my kids and even help them through college as well.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:35 pm

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:i see where you are coming from and, really, it makes some sense.  My other thinking is that if IT has another year like this one, there is no putting the genie back in the bottle. He will expect Mike Conley money or more (i think more) This is his time for a big contract as he is 28 now.

I just want to believe that this guy wants to be here in a big way, he wants to add to the Celtics history and be remembered as a great Celtic.  Maybe that is naive, I will admit I always want to think the best of people.

Good for you dboss, you have started a discussion. it will be interesting to see how others feel about this subject

rosalie

IT had a historical year.  He was unreal.  I do not think he can duplicate what he did although I am reminded that you should not bet against him.  But my reasoning is not related to his abilities.  I think Boston is looking to diversify their offense and not rely so heavily on his scoring.

I think he will want Conley money or something close to it even if his scoring average goes down next year.  The sooner Danny knows what he is going up against the better.  

If Boston does the expected and drafts the talented PG Fultz it will certainly temper offering a generous contract  to IT.  

What do I think IT is worth?  I think something between $15- $18 million.  He is not an all around player.  He is an oustanding offensive player.  He would probably reject that offer and it would be in the Celtics best interest to move him in a bigger multi-player deal to address other needs.

Dboss
In my opinion with the new TV money etc. IT is worth more than 15-18. Nothing less than 20. IT understands the business and from all indications wants to remain a Celtic. I dont believe the money is as important to him as other players. He has a keen lock on reality and is comfortable with who he is. No telling what may happen but I would like to see him a Celtic for life but is that the world we live in today? I wish. Last but not least, i wish some of these fans and talking sports heads would get a grip and lay off IT's weakness on the defensive end. Kyrie doesnt play D and I would love to have him on my team. Of course The C's dont want to have to rely solely on IT's scoring, what good team would. We need more and we will get it and hopefully IT remains a part of it. PS. Someone please tell Tommy to quit referring to him as "The little guy". It aint cool.
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:52 pm

wideclyde wrote:Even though all professional athletes can be considered in the category of "overpaid", no one can blame them for accepting (or wanting) as much as they can get.

In IT's spot it clearly behooves him to wait until next summer for his first full free agency.  This young man is a very intelligent guy and he certainly understands the financial differences between signing in '17 and signing in '18.  I am not sure that he would wait even one second to worry about the team if him waiting until 2018 was also not completely in his best interests.

It has always been my belief that professional athletes clearly and usually (with possibly a very few exceptions) measure their ego/happiness by how much money they are making.  So, expect Thomas to pretty much follow through on the "bthe Brink's truck" concept when he signs his next contract in either Boston or some other NBA city.
ht
I think you're wrong about IT wanting to back the Brinks truck up. From hearing him thats not as important as some other players would make it. Also, with all due respect, athletes are not "Overpaid" This business is loaded. TV wouldnt pay what they pay if it wasnt worth it to them and with the bulk of money coming from TV someone has to profit from it. The millionaire players and/or the Billionaire owners. Would you rather see the owners get more?
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 pm

gyso wrote:The way I read it, the Bird Exception is for signing your own free agents.  A player that gets a salary extension is not a free agent.

Bird rights cannot be used in extending a current player under contract.

Does anyone read it differently?

gyso

Thomas CAN get a bigger contract this summer if the Celts will use cap space.
It's like Thomas is an unrestricted free-agent.
Celts won't do that because they will use the cap space to go after Hayward.
If Thomas just wants an extension to his current contract, he will only get a 120% increase from his 6.2m.

Thomas knows he can get more money next summer.
That's why Thomas will wait for next summer.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:25 am

This brings us back to the idea that DA needs to have a firm number before next season ends.

Regardless I do not think Boston can win a championship with IT starting at the point. He is too small to play defense and rebound. He is an excellent offensive weapon. He may be destined to come off the bench as a designated scorer. If so does he deserve max money?

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 am

dboss wrote:This brings us back to the idea that DA needs to have a firm number before next season ends.

Regardless I do not think Boston can win a championship with IT starting at the point.  He is too small to play defense and rebound.  He is an excellent offensive weapon.  He may be destined to come off the bench as a designated scorer.  If so does he deserve max money?  

Dboss

Kevin Durant already said he will take less money to keep their core intact.

This changes everything.

Thomas should follow Durant's example.

Yes, Thomas is the Celts' Jamal Crawford 3 years from now.

Is he worth max money?
We will know next summer.
He has to earn it.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top