beat
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
sinus007
14 posters

Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DICK  "SAM" DORR Empty HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DICK "SAM" DORR

Post by 112288 Sun May 28, 2017 11:56 am

I KNOW WE EACH SHARED A SPECIAL DAY TOGETHER, SO WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE UNIVERSE....HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES AND THE LEGACY YOU LEFT ALL OF US AT SAM'S CELTIC FORUM!

Back to top Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DICK  "SAM" DORR Empty Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DICK "SAM" DORR

Post by sinus007 Sun May 28, 2017 11:57 am

Here, here!

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 am

And thanks for Jaylen and Fultz/Jackson or traded-for player.

I miss my friend. I really enjoyed his trips out to San Francisco and we'd have dinner together with his wife Sally.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Happy Birthday Sam!! We all miss you and are better having absorbed some of your knowledge.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm

From my first meeting with him Dean, Marcus and myself in the fall of that glorious 2008 spring you knew he was special....and he never did anything to change my mind.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Boy wish he was still with us. He would have loved what the Celtics are doing.

Happy Birthday Sam..

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Happy birthday Sam, wish you were here for another great draft season as we chase #18.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 pm

To meet him online was great. To meet him in person changed it to wonderful.

You rock, Sam. Forever in our memories. Happy birthday.

Go Celtics!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 am

I never met Sam in person, but I will never forget him.
Happy Birthday Sam.
We all miss you.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 am

He was the best. Took such a sincere interest in everyone he ever met and cared about. Miss him bigly. Happy birthday you slippery one.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon May 29, 2017 1:45 pm

A wish for you my friend, Happy Birthday Sam, I know you are not too far away, you are watching all of us to make sure we are behaving and carrying on the legacy of this forum. You would have loved this team this year, a bunch of guys who fought and fought, were never supposed to end up where they did. (Remind you of another Celtic
team?)

I miss our talks, my relationship with you was more on line than the others. They were the lucky ones, they have memories to share with each other of times you spent together. But I will never forget how kind and caring you were to me and Bill during some of the hardest times with my health issues. I am still here, driving these guys crazy, but they are great!!

Thank you for sharing this ride with me, BDC was so long ago and You invited me to join the rest of you and our dear friend Jeb.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Never met him, but he made a great impression on me anyway. The forum he created is a pretty impressive monument.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:20 pm

AMEN!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:28 pm

He actually led a pretty amazing life, too numerous to name everything he did, but I know he had a distinguished military career, even though he would be the first to make light of it. After years of reading posts at the Boston Globe, when I finally posted, Sam the man greeted me on line and we immediately shared some of our favorite Celtic history/stories. During games I would sit there and type and my kids would casually ask me what did Sam say? I told them the story of how his nickname was because he hung with the great Sam Jones, so speaking of Sam my kids learned a lot about Celtic history. Then the night after our Reds tribute dinner in NY Chinatown, we met at a sports bar the next day for a 09 playoff game, as I was leaving for the event, my kids begged me to go....they wanted to meet Sam!! So I couldn't say no and my kids had a great time and continued to see some of my posts over the years and sometimes Sams, they remembered him fondly like family and liked his funny voice....quote from the youngest.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:46 am

He was special.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 am

Yes he was special, a dear, kind-hearted, civil, smart and good man who went out of his way to offer me emotional support during my own times of trouble. He was another example of how one person can make a difference by being loving.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm

You are so right Worcester. I still have his voice on my telephone recordings, when I had gotten so sick in 2012 and he called the house to talk to someone to check on me. My husband was so moved by his concern, and as it had turned out, my husband had a stroke while I was in an induced coma. Sam called several times just to check in and he made such an impression on my entire family. Later on, when I was going in for major heart surgery, he had his good friend, Sam Jones give me a call. I was thrilled and it was all due to Sam's kindness. Their voices are locked on my phone forever.

We had such good conversations about things other than the Celtics, as I am sure all of you did. He knew how to make you feel comfortable. I sure miss those talks.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:16 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:He actually led a pretty amazing life, too numerous to name everything he did, but I know he had a distinguished military career, even though he would be the first to make light of it. After years of reading posts at the Boston Globe, when I finally posted, Sam the man greeted me on line and we immediately shared some of our favorite Celtic history/stories. During games I would sit there and type and my kids would casually ask me what did Sam say? I told them the story of how his nickname was because he hung with the great Sam Jones, so speaking of Sam my kids learned a lot about Celtic history. Then the night after our Reds tribute dinner in NY Chinatown, we met at a sports bar the next day for a 09 playoff game, as I was leaving for the event, my kids begged me to go....they wanted to meet Sam!! So I couldn't say no and my kids had a great time and continued to see some of my posts over the years and sometimes Sams, they remembered him fondly like family and liked his funny voice....quote from the youngest.

Cow,

Sam talked about when he was a US Army Ranger, in Korea, and a North Korean tank once drove right over his foxhole. Amazing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:You are so right Worcester.  I still have his voice on my telephone recordings, when I had gotten so sick in 2012 and he called the house to talk to someone to check on me. My husband was so moved by his concern, and as it had turned out, my husband had a stroke while I was in an induced coma. Sam called several times just to check in and he made such an impression on my entire family.  Later on, when I was going in for major heart surgery, he had his good friend, Sam Jones give me a call. I was thrilled and it was all due to Sam's kindness. Their voices are locked on my phone forever.

We had such good conversations about things other than the Celtics, as I am sure all of you did. He knew how to make you feel comfortable.  I sure miss those talks.

Rosalie

Rosalie,

Didn't you say that you were really sick and unhappy and he asked his friend, Celtic great Sam Jones, to call you? Am I right?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:He actually led a pretty amazing life, too numerous to name everything he did, but I know he had a distinguished military career, even though he would be the first to make light of it. After years of reading posts at the Boston Globe, when I finally posted, Sam the man greeted me on line and we immediately shared some of our favorite Celtic history/stories. During games I would sit there and type and my kids would casually ask me what did Sam say? I told them the story of how his nickname was because he hung with the great Sam Jones, so speaking of Sam my kids learned a lot about Celtic history. Then the night after our Reds tribute dinner in NY Chinatown, we met at a sports bar the next day for a 09 playoff game, as I was leaving for the event, my kids begged me to go....they wanted to meet Sam!! So I couldn't say no and my kids had a great time and continued to see some of my posts over the years and sometimes Sams, they remembered him fondly like family and liked his funny voice....quote from the youngest.

Cow,

Sam talked about when he was a US Army Ranger, in Korea, and a North Korean tank once drove right over his foxhole.  Amazing.

bob

bob

i think he was "pulling your leg" bob. He was born on May 28 1937 - which would have made him just turned 13 when the Korean war started on June 25th 1953 and 16 when it ended on July 27th 1953.

swish

Last edited by swish on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 am

Yes Bob, I was going in for open heart surgery, real big surgery, aorta valve replaced, mitral valve repaired and a quadruple by pass.  I was scared still. Sam and I had talked many times about the heart surgery because, he, too, need valve replacement.  That is what makes it so sad about his passing is that had he made it thru that first day when he was scheduled he might be here today. They cancelled and he had to wait for another day. Two weeks later he was gone.  

Sam jones called once, I was not home, left a message, but pursued and called again. We had a ten minute conversation, made my day, my week, my life. I was thrilled , he was so kind. And of course the credit for the call goes to Sam, who was visiting him on his way to Florida and asked him to call me. After Sam left, he called. Such a kind gesture, now I know why they were friends. I will never forget that or all the encouragement he gave all the other times I was hospitalized and you all were so wonderful to me.  

I want you to know that I brag every day about my friends here on the forum, and when Sam passed, my sister said how sorry she was because she knew how much I thought of him and all of you.

Enough rambling

Rosalie

Last edited by RosalieTCeltics on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:28 am

Hey Cow just wondering if the gathering at the sports bar was at the Sports Depot that was the first time I met Sam. Marcus and I rode in with NYCelt (Dean) and we watched a first round away game against Atlanta. I know you were there !! Also if that was the time I'm pretty sure it was 2008.

My wife thought I was nuts taking my son to meet and ride into Boston with someone I had only chatted with on line to meet a bunch of others that I had only chatted on line with.

And I remember Sam got delayed because a bouncy young female distracted him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 am

Beat that was the first get together, we had another one because Sam wanted to do a playoff party in 09 in NYC....so we had a Chinatown dinner tribute to Red, then next day met at a Boston sports bar in city.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Yes Bob, I was going in for open heart surgery, real big surgery, aorta valve replaced, mitral valve repaired and a quadruple by pass.  I was scared still. Sam and I had talked many times about the heart surgery because, he, too, need valve replacement.  That is what makes it so sad about his passing is that had he made it thru that first day when he was scheduled he might be here today. They cancelled and he had to wait for another day. Two weeks later he was gone.  

Sam jones called once, I was not home, left a message, but pursued and called again. We had a ten minute conversation, made my day, my week, my life. I was thrilled , he was so kind. And of course the credit for the call goes to Sam, who was visiting him on his way to Florida and asked him to call me. After Sam left, he called. Such a king gesture, now I know why they were friends. I will never forget that or all the encouragement he gave all the other times I was hospitalized and you all were so wonderful to me.  

I want you to know that I brag every day about my friends here on the forum, and when Sam passed, my sister said how sorry she was because she knew how much I thought of him and all of you.

Enough rambling

Rosalie

That was Sam, if he knew you, he would do anything for you.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down