dboss
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
17 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Josh Jackson Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Josh Jackson Thread

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Hayward's wife has a LOT of say on where he plays. Unless he is a fool.

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/josh_jackson_scouting_boston_c.html#incart_river_index

Josh Jackson scouting: Boston Celtics have interest, but Kansas star's fit uncertain

Updated on June 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Posted on June 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Will the Boston Celtics draft Josh Jackson? Celtics reportedly eye Kansas star with No. 3 pick

BY TOM WESTERHOLM

Before Saturday, it seemed as though the only scouting reports Boston Celtics fans would need to read regarding the 2017 NBA Draft were "Will Markelle Fultz be able to defend?" and "Can Fultz play with Isaiah Thomas?"

Then Danny Ainge got weird, dealt the No. 1 pick for the No. 3 pick and another asset in next year's draft, and forever altered the landscape of the 2017 class. Now the Sixers will add Fultz to their young core of Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, and the Celtics' selection is back up in the air.

One of the names being floated is Kansas wing Josh Jackson -- a hyper-athletic wing with an intriguing, versatile skill set on both ends of the court. On paper, Jackson looks like exactly the type of prospect Ainge often covets, but does he fit on Boston's roster? Let's take a look.

The Skills:

-- Elite athleticism -- explosive leaping and speed

-- High motor and extremely competitive nature -- desperately wants to win

-- Excellent scorer/decision-maker in transition

-- Very good rebounder and passer for position

-- Versatile defender who could be elite/All-Defense First Team down the line

-- Funky but effective shot (but will it translate?)

Fit With The Celtics

Ask 10 different people what they think of Jackson's fit in Boston, and you'll get 10 different answers. The two most prevalent schools of thought are as follows.

IN FAVOR: Jackson's potential is through the roof due to his athleticism and versatility. He's a perfect fit for the modern NBA defensively -- a wing who can guard multiple positions and crash the boards on both ends. Lineups with Jackson, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown would be brutally difficult to score against, since everybody would be physically gifted, highly competitive and able to switch onto multiple positions. Meanwhile, Jackson's passing at his position makes him a very unique talent, even given his funky shooting mechanics. He can distribute off the dribble like a guard, and he seems to see the game at a very high level.

AGAINST: Jackson's hitchy jumper looks ugly, and his abysmal college free-throw percentage indicates a player whose percentages won't rise in the NBA. He will be able to defend, but how much can the Celtics rely on lineups with him and all of the players already in place who struggle to shoot 3-pointers?

Oh, and isn't Jackson (a freak athlete with major questions about his jumper) kind of redundant alongside Brown?

CONCLUSION: Both sides have a point. If Jackson continues to hit 37 percent of his 3-pointers, he would be perfect for the Celtics, but that's an enormous "if."

Why Jackson Makes Sense At No. 3

There's still a chance Jackson is off the board by the time the Celtics make their selection -- the Los Angeles Lakers reportedly like Jackson and continue to mull over their difficult choice between Jackson and Lonzo Ball.

If the Lakers make the pick most expect at No. 2 and take UCLA guard Lonzo Ball, Jackson is a clear lottery prospect and a reasonable selection at No. 3. His ceiling, given his athleticism and intriguing skill set, is a multi-year All-Star who would be willing to pull his own leg off to win a game (although hopefully it doesn't come to that). His floor (assuming health) is a competitive role player who defends well. The farthest he can reasonably be expected to slide would be to No. 4 if the Lakers take Ball and the Celtics take Jayson Tatum, at which point the Phoenix Suns would gratefully pull him off the board.

Concerns

The first series of questions many teams will have for Jackson involves a couple of off-court issues at Kansas. He admitted to breaking the taillight of a teammate's ex-girlfriend's car outside a bar in Kansas, and earlier in the year, he left the scene after backing into an unattended car. Neither situation was dire enough to scare a team away, but both raised eyebrows and questions about Jackson's maturity.

On the court, Jackson's shot -- and what it means if he can't make NBA 3-pointers on a consistent basis -- could torpedo his fit. The Celtics simply don't have room on the roster for another high-level defensive player who can't shoot 3-pointers. If they believe Jackson's shot will be fine at the next level, they might scoop him up. If they don't, expect someone else's name to be called with the No. 3 pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Dave McMenamin @mcten

Josh Jackson did not work out for the Celtics on Tues, multiple sources tell ESPN. Two days before the draft, BOS still hasn't seen him
12:50 PM · Jun 20, 2017

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:28 pm

If LA surprises everyone and takes Tatum we could trade this years Pick to NY in conjunction with a bigger deal.  Do you think Phil  would go for Ball?

With LA shopping Russell unlikely they will pass on Ball. If Jackson fails to visit with Boston it only cements things for Tatum.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:34 pm

It sounds like Josh Jackson already has an agreement in place with LA.

Maybe we can see Tatum vs. Jackson play out for years in at least two games each year.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

gyso wrote:It sounds like Josh Jackson already has an agreement in place with LA.

Maybe we can see Tatum vs. Jackson play out for years in at least two games each year.

Crowder, Brown, Tatum. Nope, can't see it. If we draft Tatum my guess is one of them is gone because there aren't enough minutes at 2 for Brown to avoid a traffic jam at 3.

And that doesn't even take into account Hayward.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:59 am

The Josh Jackson Thread - Page 4 DCx_eeSUQAAx9g1

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/20/josh-jackson-nba-comps-kawhi-leonard-and-paul-george-one-coach-says/MGtTkcrU4SEL6XyycU54BO/story.html

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:02 am

Josh Jackson’s coach thinks he’s a mix of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George

Now that the Celtics have traded the No. 1 overall draft pick to the 76ers, the focus turns toward the No. 3 choice they received in return. Kansas forward Josh Jackson appears to be one of Boston’s prime targets. On Tuesday, the Globe spoke with Kansas assistant coach Norm Roberts about Jackson’s season with the Jayhawks, and what might make him the perfect fit for the Celtics.
What stood out about Josh’s game the first time you saw him play?
Versatility and his competitiveness. There’s not a guy in the draft that will out-compete him; there’s no way. With that guy playing for us this year, we would not have been as close to as good as we were without him and his willingness to want to win, his willingness to play multiple positions, his willingness to do whatever it took.

If you need me to play the point, I’ll play the point. If you need me at the 3, I’ll do that. If you need me to make a 3-pointer, I’ll make a 3-pointer. If you need me to guard in the post, I’ll guard in the post. It doesn’t matter to Josh. He’s just a winner.
Are there things he can do athletically that most others just can’t?

He’s got unbelievable vision. He is a really, really good passer. He’s a guy that can create. He can rebound it, take it off the glass, and bring it. He’s a guy that makes great passes in the half-court situation. His basketball IQ is really, really high.
The thing about Josh is he can score with both hands, he can make awkward layups, he can catch lobs. But one thing he really likes to do is defend.
How would you describe his defensive intensity?

He’s the type of guy that if you’re in practice, and let’s say we’re doing a drill and a walk-on makes a jump shot. You know, he makes a lucky shot, and everybody in the gym goes, ‘Oh, Josh, you’d better make sure he don’t score anymore.’
He will make sure over the next five minutes that the guy doesn’t even touch the ball. And you’ll be like, ‘Josh, the guy’s a walk-on. It ain’t that big of a deal.’ In his mind, it is a big deal. It is a big deal. That’s what I mean about his competitiveness.
There are questions about Josh surrounding the December incident in which he threatened to fight a member of the Kansas women’s basketball team. Do you think there are off-court concerns with him?
He’s a great teammate; he’s a great kid. He was always a kid where if we had anything to do with kids or community events, he was there. His mom has done a great job of raising him.
Those incidents happen. He may have been around situations, and everybody makes mistakes. But one thing that’s great about him as a kid is he owns up to any mistakes. He takes responsibility, which he has, and then he looks to see how he can improve himself.
What about his game can translate to the NBA level?
His versatility, where you can play him at different places, and I think probably his ability in transition, because obviously the NBA is a transition game, and his ability to make plays for not only himself but for others, I think, will be terrific.
Do you have a sense how he might fit with the Celtics?
I think he’d fit great with them. I think [Jae] Crowder and those guys are guys that catch-and-shoot and score. He’s a guy that can be a facilitator that would help, so it’s not just Isaiah Thomas trying to do it. He’d be a guy that would give them enough of a playmaker, but it doesn’t have to be that he has to shoot.
He’s going to affect the game no matter what. When he’s out there, he’s going to affect it, and he’s going to affect it on both ends of the floor, which I know is important.
Is there a comparison with a current or former NBA player that comes to mind?
I think he’s got a lot of Kawhi Leonard in him, once his body gets stronger. And probably Paul George. I think he’s a combination of those two guys, and I think that’s a pretty good combination.
What does he need to work on at the NBA level?
Obviously increasing his range on his shot. I think people say he’s not a great shooter because of his form. But the one thing I’ll tell you is, when the game is on the line, he makes big shots, and he’s not afraid to take big shots and because he has such a good basketball IQ. He plays within whatever system needs to be played.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am

Chad Ford: Celtics finally received Josh Jackson’s medicals, but he still won’t workout for Boston. C’s still debating but appear to be leaning Tatum 34 mins ago – via Twitter chadfordinsider
Draft, Josh Jackson, Boston Celtics
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Josh Jackson talks on SportsCenter about why he didn't workout with the Celtics

https://twitter.com/JaylenFultz/status/877555480599687168

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 pm

At least if we end up passing on Jackson he won't end up destroying us in the East. He'll go to either PHX or SAC.

I'm good with either Jackson or Tatum. Personality-wise, it's like choosing between Garnett and Tim Duncan. Game-wise, it's like choosing between two slight variations of Paul George.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Theory: Jackson's pissed because he perceives that Danny was going to take Fultz over Jackson #1. Danny went out of his way two days ago to publicly state that he believes he'll get the best player in the draft at #3. Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.

I think that Danny does actually feel this way, but maybe I'm wrong and Danny sent signals to Jackson's agent that the Celtics preferred Fultz.

Most likely, Jackson just wants to be the alpha dog on a team, which he's good enough to be as a rookie on a lot of teams, and his gripes about Boston not wanting him #1 are an excuse to not work out for them.

But I think Jackson's the guy Danny's going to pick, and Danny's statement about getting his #1 guy at #3 was a public gesture to Jackson.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Rmbone wrote:Theory: Jackson's pissed because he perceives that Danny was going to take Fultz over Jackson #1. Danny went out of his way two days ago to publicly state that he believes he'll get the best player in the draft at #3. Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.

I think that Danny does actually feel this way, but maybe I'm wrong and Danny sent signals to Jackson's agent that the Celtics preferred Fultz.

Most likely, Jackson just wants to be the alpha dog on a team, which he's good enough to be as a rookie on a lot of teams, and his gripes about Boston not wanting him #1 are an excuse to not work out for them.

But I think Jackson's the guy Danny's going to pick, and Danny's statement about getting his #1 guy at #3 was a public gesture to Jackson.

A few days ago you didn't think Ainge would draft Jackson because of off the court issues.

LOL
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Rmbone wrote:Theory: Jackson's pissed because he perceives that Danny was going to take Fultz over Jackson #1. Danny went out of his way two days ago to publicly state that he believes he'll get the best player in the draft at #3. Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.

Can you share with us your source?

I mean you're already sure that Jackson is the guy the Celts will pick at #3.
Do you have an inside source that is part of the Celtic front office?
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Jackson's competitiveness is just words to me.  If he was truly competitive, he would have come to Boston for a workout and compete for the first pick.  He would have tried to prove to the Celtics that he is worthy of their pick.

He thought that they were going in another direction, so why bother?  Now that the Celtics have traded picks it is too late for a workout?

That is some bad decision making, his agent has failed this guy in a big way. Now he may be stuck in Sacto or Phoenix for the first 5-7 years of his career.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:37 pm

gyso wrote:Jackson's competitiveness is just words to me.  If he was truly competitive, he would have come to Boston for a workout and compete for the first pick.  He would have tried to prove to the Celtics that he is worthy of their pick.

He thought that they were going in another direction, so why bother?  Now that the Celtics have traded picks it is too late for a workout?

That is some bad decision making, his agent has failed this guy in a big way.  Now he may be stuck in Sacto or Phoenix for the first 5-7 years of his career.

gyso

But Rmbone already declared Josh Jackson is who the Celts will pick at #3.

He must have an inside source working for the Celtic front office.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 pm

"Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow."

That's not a prediction or speculation, that's a declaration.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

fierce wrote:

Can you share with us your source?

I mean you're already sure that Jackson is the guy the Celts will pick at #3.
Do you have an inside source that is part of the Celtic front office?

You're not reading too clearly today, or the other day either.

Rmbone Today at 12:09 pm

At least if we end up passing on Jackson he won't end up destroying us in the East.

Rmbone Today at 12:21 pm

Theory: Jackson's pissed because he perceives that Danny was going to take Fultz over Jackson #1. Danny went out of his way two days ago to publicly state that he believes he'll get the best player in the draft at #3. Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.

What part of "Theory" do you not understand?

You: "I mean you're already sure that Jackson is the guy the Celts will pick at #3."

Once again, I think you fail to understand another word: "prediction".

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 pm

fierce wrote:"Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow."

That's not a prediction or speculation, that's a declaration.

No, Johnny, that's a theory. First word of the damn sentence.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Rmbone

Here's what you said:

"Danny said this publicly to please Jackson, who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow."

You already declared who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 pm

fierce wrote:
gyso wrote:Jackson's competitiveness is just words to me.  If he was truly competitive, he would have come to Boston for a workout and compete for the first pick.  He would have tried to prove to the Celtics that he is worthy of their pick.

That is some bad decision making, his agent has failed this guy in a big way.  Now he may be stuck in Sacto or Phoenix for the first 5-7 years of his career.

gyso

But Rmbone already declared Josh Jackson is who the Celts will pick at #3.

He must have an inside source working for the Celtic front office.

Have a cup of coffee.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Rmbone

Don't go Sean Spicer on me because you clearly said "who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow."

Your words, not mine.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

fierce wrote:Rmbone

Here's what you said:

You already declared who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow.

So you're going to cut out the first word, and take the last part completely out of context. Rather than admit your reading error, you're going to double down with the reading comprehension error?

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Theory: Fierce got Cs in English class.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 pm

The theory part is Jackson is pissed.
But when you say "who Ainge plans on drafting tomorrow", that's not a theory, that's a declaration.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next