IF NOT FULTZ, CELTICS COULD OPT FOR NBA-READY TATUM OF DUKE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:43 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/if-not-fultz-celtics-could-opt-nba-ready-tatum-duke

By Kyle Draper

June 14, 2017 2:10 PM

Everyone assumes the Celtics will take Markelle Fultz with the No. 1 pick in the draft . . . but what if they don't? What if they turn to another of the prospects? This week, we'll look at some of the players who might interest the Celtics in that 'What if?' scenario: TODAY: Duke's Jayson Tatum.

Nearly every mock draft has the Celtics selecting Washington guard Markelle Fultz with the No. 1 overall pick. And rightfully so. Fultz is the most complete player at this moment and still has room to improve greatly.

WHAT IF? POSSIBLE NON-FULTZ PICKS:

Kentucky's DeAaron Fox
Duke's Jayson Tatum

Still, if Danny Ainge decides to either trade back or in the words of the great Muhammad Ali, “shock the world” and not take Fultz, the guy he should target is Duke’s Jayson Tatum.

The 6-foot-8 Tatum is one of the few guys in this draft who can help the Celtics immediately. In his lone season at Duke, he averaged 16.8 points and 7.3 rebounds in 33 minutes per game. Impressive numbers for a freshman who just turned 19 in March. There are several reasons why Tatum should be the guy if Ainge goes elsewhere from Fultz.

THE GOOD

Tatum has an NBA-ready body. At 6-8 and 204 pounds, Tatum resembles the NBA version of Greek God Adonis. He has a chiseled body and with a 6-11 wingspan he can come in and contribute right away. Plus, he’ll only get bigger and stronger, which should strike fear in opponents.

He’s also extremely versatile on the offense. He’s been compared to Danny Granger and Allan Houston. But a better comparison may be Paul Pierce. That’s right Celtics fans, Tatum has a lot of Pierce’s game in his repertoire. He’s a natural scorer who can beat you a number of ways on the offensive end. He’s deceptively shifty with the dribble and, just like Pierce, he has amazing footwork.

He also has a throwback mid-range game, reminiscent of Pierce. And he fills a need for the Celtics. He was one of the best 1-on-1 players in college, so when the Celtics need a bucket, Tatum will be able to get it. How many times have we said the Celtics need someone who can create his own shot? Well, Tatum is that guy.

One Eastern Conference scout tells CSNNE’s A. Sherrod Blakely, "Tatum has a tremendous feel for the game. He has that high basketball IQ thing going for him that Brad Stevens loves in a player. Good shooter, decent ball-handler...solid in a lot of areas but not great at any one thing.”

Another area where he’ll be able to help the Celtics is on the glass. Tatum was a very good rebounder at Duke, especially on the defensive end. His defensive rebounding rate was 19.7 percent. To put that in context, Draymond Green’s defensive rebound percentage was 20.4. So, Tatum is not that far behind one of the best All-Everything guys in the NBA.

But Tatum does have a few limitations.

THE BAD

He’s a good 3-point shooter but not necessarily great. He shot a respectable 34.2 percent in his lone season at Duke but that was from college range. The NBA 3-pointer is three feet farther out (23-9 vs. 20-9), so he’ll have to improve on his jump shot. With that being said, Paul Pierce only shot 33.5 percent in his final season at Kansas and he turned into a pretty good NBA 3-point shooter.

While I think he’s extremely versatile on offense, the same NBA scout doubts his versatility saying, “My biggest concern with him is his versatility. Like I said, he can do a lot of things pretty good. But he doesn't have the kind of size or length to play anywhere other than small forward.  He doesn't have the length or strength to really be a small-ball power forward, and he doesn't shoot the ball well enough right now, to play off-guard.”

I, however, do feel he can play both forward spots, especially when an opposing team goes small.

At the end of the day, Tatum is an NBA-ready player who can step in and fill several needs for the Celtics. I feel he’ll be an All-Star caliber player who will consistently score 18-25 points a game in his NBA career. As the scout said, “Still, he's a good player and honestly, probably the safest pick when you're talking about the guys talked about as top-five, top-six picks."

bob
MY NOTE:  Keeping in mind this was written by idiot Kyle Draper I still find it interesting that he left both Ball and Jackson off the list.  I can understand Ball, he and his father have done nothing but disrespect us, but Jackson too?  Either he's taking Jackson's 'no' for a workout as 'no' like I am or he knows something we don't (or maybe he's an even bigger fool than I think.  That might justify a phone call to Guinness book of records people).  As far as game commentary I think he's a moron and he pisses me off so much I turn him off immediately but he does have better access to Danny and his coaches and scouts than any of us.  Have they bagged Ball and Jackson, and that's why he has?

I also find it humorous that Draper says that Tatum has "an NBA-ready body".  He's 6'8" 205#, just like Jackson.  Those are NBA guard bodies now, and not even particularly sturdy ones either.  Will they grow into their bodies more?  Of course, but right now a 6'8" 205# player is a toothpick.  Remember RJ Hunter (who, btw, has been invited to Toronto's free agent workout.  Congrats, go get'em kid!)?  He was 6'6" 195#.  2" shorter but only 10# lighter and when he went up against real NBA players he just couldn't finish his cuts or box out or do all the little things because he didn't have an NBA-ready body, only the height.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: IF NOT FULTZ, CELTICS COULD OPT FOR NBA-READY TATUM OF DUKE

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am

whether it is Tatum or Jackson they are both SF but we used #3 on Brown last year.

The problem that I have is that too many draft ideas never look at needs.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 pm

dboss,

I think you can make argument that Jackson has the flexibility to play SG enough that Crowder and Jaylen and Jackson can all co-exists fine.

one reason I like Jackson is the idea of seeing him and Jaylen tearing it up from the wing positions on BOTH ends in a couple years. I think they could be great playing big minutes together

I don't see it happening at this point, however.
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm

They are all in play, in our minds, and in the minds of others. Only Danny and the brass know what will happen. I'd take Fultz all day, and not look back. Jackson would be my #2, Tatum 3 and Isaac or Monk 4.

I still am intrigued by the "trade" floated out by myself, and many others............#1 and Crowder for #3, Saric, Holmes and the lakers #1 next year. Would Tatum or Jackson still be there at 3?

Don 't think either team would do it at this point, but I'd like to try to get another pick using AB. Isaac could be a stud.
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:23 pm

red16russ11 wrote:They are all in play, in our minds, and in the minds of others.  Only Danny and the brass know what will happen.  I'd take Fultz all day, and not look back.  Jackson would be my #2, Tatum 3 and Isaac or Monk 4.

I still am intrigued by the "trade" floated out by myself, and many others............#1 and Crowder for #3, Saric, Holmes and the lakers #1 next year.  Would Tatum or Jackson still be there at 3?

Don 't think either team would do it at this point, but I'd like to try to get another pick using AB.  Isaac could be a stud.

well as we discussed before, that trade would clcik off many of our needs and allow the signing of Hayward also, if Danny was so inclined.

of course that trade would mean Danny is wanting to "wait out" the Cleveland/GS dynasty for a couple more years, IMO.

I've seen article that Isaac has moved up also, not sure what his potential upside is myself. Some have compared him Rashad Lewis as his upside.
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41 pm

kdp59 wrote:dboss,

I think you can make argument that Jackson has the flexibility to play SG enough that Crowder and Jaylen and Jackson can all co-exists fine.

one reason I like Jackson is the idea of seeing him and Jaylen tearing it up from the wing positions on BOTH ends in a couple years. I think they could be great playing big minutes together

I don't see it happening at this point, however.

I do not see Jackson being a viable option at SG.

I still think we need Fultz. If We do not resign IT and there is no guarantee we will once he hits free agency, we will still need a top of the line PG. Neither Smart, Rozier or Jackson are starting quality PG's.

Dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm

This is exactly the point I've been making for some time, and I think it's a valid alternative.

Tatum is the most NBA ready player in the draft, and we could use him at SF.  Brown and Crowder are OK, but both significantly miss the mark in comparison to Tatum.  To be fair, I should say Tatum's potential.  So going with potential and the gamble it entails, I don't think Brown will ever be nearly the player Tatum will.

If you consider the glut of guards we have, and the need for a wing that can shoot/score/defend and board some too, Tatum is the pick over Fultz.  Jackson does not have Tatum's well rounded skill set at the NCAA level, so I'm guessing he won't develop it in the NBA either.

If it were me, I would take Tatum.  No doubt in my mind.

We'll take Fultz, however, and that will still be outstanding.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:54 pm

NYCelt wrote:This is exactly the point I've been making for some time, and I think it's a valid alternative.

Tatum is the most NBA ready player in the draft, and we could use him at SF.  Brown and Crowder are OK, but both significantly miss the mark in comparison to Tatum.  To be fair, I should say Tatum's potential.  So going with potential and the gamble it entails, I don't think Brown will ever be nearly the player Tatum will.

If you consider the glut of guards we have, and the need for a wing that can shoot/score/defend and board some too, Tatum is the pick over Fultz.  Jackson does not have Tatum's well rounded skill set at the NCAA level, so I'm guessing he won't develop it in the NBA either.

NYCelt,

I saw Jeff Goodman of ESPN say that he thinks Josh Jackson will be a "high end" Jaylen Brown.

Considering how highly I think of Brown, that's pretty freaking impressive.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Danny needs to stop drafting players that come into the game with questions marks about their ability to knock down the NBA three pointer.  The best way to avoid that is to evaluate how well they shot the 3 ball in college.

In my opinion if we had the 4th or 5th pick in the draft Tatum would be a great selection.  At # 1 he is another head scratcher.  He has average speed, average handle, average hops and most importantly an average 3 point shooting ability.  

Danny has used far too many first round picks selecting players that came out of college with questionable 3 point shooting ability.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:This is exactly the point I've been making for some time, and I think it's a valid alternative.

NYCelt,

I saw Jeff Goodman of ESPN say that he thinks Josh Jackson will be a "high end" Jaylen Brown.

bob

Jackson needs to work on his handle and his shooting just like Jaylen brown. The difference between them is the speed and quickness that Jaylen posses. Jaylen is as quick as any NBA SF right now. The other thing is the physical comparisons. Jaylen is a physical specimen. Not so much with Jackson. Not sure i agree with the idea that Jackson is somehow a high end Brown.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:24 pm

dboss wrote:Danny needs to stop drafting players that come into the game with questions marks about their ability to knock down the NBA three pointer.  The best way to avoid that is to evaluate how well they shot the 3 ball in college.

In my opinion if we had the 4th or 5th pick in the draft Tatum would be a great selection.  At # 1 he is another head scratcher.  He has average speed, average handle, average hops and most importantly an average 3 point shooting ability.  

Danny has used far too many first round picks selecting players that came out of college with questionable 3 point shooting ability.  

dboss

dboss,

Call it the 'eye test.' As you know, I'm bigger on that than the stats column. I think Tatum is much better beyond the arc than the average rating he's often given. I believe Tatum is the closest thing I've seen to Paul Pierce coming out of the NCAA ranks since, well, Paul Pierce. I think their games at this stage are very similar.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:

NYCelt,

bob

Bob,

I would agree, but still think Tatum has the stronger game overall.  Brown is an incredible athlete, but in the long run, as a basketball player, I just don't see him having the potential of Tatum or Jackson.  There's that ugly word again; potential.  I agree with most analysts, and don't think Jackson is a guard, and like Tatum, is best suited to the NBA SF role.  Jackson is going to be a very good pick for whoever takes him IMO.  I'm convinced this will be among the most productive drafts we've seen in a very long time.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:40 pm

OMG; I just disagreed with dboss.  Second time this year!

So for anyone that thought we were the same person, that would indicate he has a split-personality disorder.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 pm

NYCelt wrote:
dboss wrote:Danny needs to stop drafting players that come into the game with questions marks about their ability to knock down the NBA three pointer.  The best way to avoid that is to evaluate how well they shot the 3 ball in college.

dboss

dboss,

Call it the 'eye test.'  As you know, I'm bigger on that than the stats column.  I think Tatum is much better beyond the arc than the average rating he's often given.  I believe Tatum is the closest thing I've seen to Paul Pierce coming out of the NCAA ranks since, well, Paul Pierce.  I think their games at this stage are very similar.

Regards

Forget the eye test for once. We need to compete with the high end scoring teams in the NBA. Whether that'a Golden State or the Cavs it does not really matter in terms of needs. We take a ton of 3 point shots and while are percentage went up a few points this year (no Turner and no Sully) we still need to get better. much much better. In my opinion Tatum does not move the needle when it comes to shooting the basketball. And again since we already expended the 3rd pick in last years draft for a young and developing SF (Who by the way has his own shooting issues) I just cannot see us adding another small forward. I see nothing that suggests that Tatum is more NBA ready than Fultz. As a matter of fact Fultz did things in college that are very comparable to NBA players.

The ball don't lie. Either you can put the ball in the basket while shooting a high percentage or you can't. Tatum has not shown that he can shoot the ball from deep consistently at a high from the college 3 point line but Fultz has. The truth is that some players are natural shooters and scorers and other playing are not. This even transcends mechanics although great mechanics play an important role.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Unless we plan to move Brown to SG, or trade him, I think taking Tatum or Jackson at #1 is foolish........trading down and taking them would be okay with me, provided we get a big back in the deal.
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:54 pm

dboss,

In a way, I think the debate is inconsequential.  Although I would take Tatum, I think we'll end up drafting Fultz, and he'll help provide more of the shooting and offense we need.

After seeing all four of them play this past season, I would be far from disappointed if we took Fultz, Ball, Jackson or Tatum.

It is, however, fun to disagree with you for a change!

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Unless we plan to move Brown to SG, or trade him, I think taking Tatum or Jackson at #1 is foolish........trading down and taking them would be okay with me, provided we get a big back in the deal.

red,

I proposed that I would take Tatum earlier, simply because I don't think Brown is the answer we need at SF (or SG).  I like Brown, and would love to see him bolster our bench.  However, I would far rather try and see if Tatum or Jackson are the superior small forwards I think they will be, in his place. Trading down to get one of them plus another high pick would also be OK in my estimation, but I highly doubt we do that.

No matter what I think I would do, I'm just talking for the sake of conversation and debate, because we'll be taking Fultz.  I expect Fultz will be on the court when we win #18, and so will a starting SF not named Brown.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:19 pm

NYCelt wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:Unless we plan to move Brown to SG, or trade him, I think taking Tatum or Jackson at #1 is foolish........trading down and taking them would be okay with me, provided we get a big back in the deal.

red,

I proposed that I would take Tatum earlier, simply because I don't think Brown is the answer we need at SF (or SG).  I like Brown, and would love to see him bolster our bench.  However, I would far rather try and see if Tatum or Jackson are the superior small forwards I think they will be, in his place. Trading down to get one of them plus another high pick would also be OK in my estimation, but I highly doubt we do that.

No matter what I think I would do, I'm just talking for the sake of conversation and debate, because we'll be taking Fultz.  I expect Fultz will be on the court when we win #18, and so will a starting SF not named Brown.

Regards

Well, as the eternal optimist, I'm hoping we sign Hayward.........and then, as Inspector Clouseau used to say......"Problem sol-ved."
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

red,

I proposed that I would take Tatum earlier, simply because I don't think Brown is the answer we need at SF (or SG).  I like Brown, and would love to see him bolster our bench.  However, I would far rather try and see if Tatum or Jackson are the superior small forwards I think they will be, in his place.  Trading down to get one of them plus another high pick would also be OK in my estimation, but I highly doubt we do that.

Regards

Well, as the eternal optimist, I'm hoping we sign Hayward.........and then, as Inspector Clouseau used to say......"Problem sol-ved."

Inspector,

Yes, drafting Fultz and signing Hayward would do it.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

In a way, I think the debate is inconsequential.  Although I would take Tatum, I think we'll end up drafting Fultz, and he'll help provide more of the shooting and offense we need.

After seeing all four of them play this past season, I would be far from disappointed if we took Fultz, Ball, Jackson or Tatum.

It is, however, fun to disagree with you for a change!

Regards

NyCelt

it is in fact quite rare that we ever disagree. The thing is, I really like 5 or 6 players in this draft including Tatum and Jackson. It is really deep. If there was a great 4 or 5 in this draft it would be really difficult to pass on him even though I think Fultz will be a great player. But that big will probably be there in 12 months.

It is interesting that the way we evaluate bigs has really changed. If a big cannot shoot from deep their value goes down even if they have solid skills scoring in the paint and rebounding and playing defense. Nevertheless it would be hard to pass on a big that can score inside, rebound and rim protect.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:50 pm

dboss,

Interesting point on bigs.  The 2018 draft is supposedly going to be loaded with them, but this draft has a few quality bigs that should be available well into the second round.

Like you, I would like to see us go with a big that is strong inside first. I'm not sold on another 7' 3-point artist. Given that we should be taking Fultz at the top, do you draft shooters in the second, or take a big and hope that either he, Zizic, or a FA provide that inside presence?

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:05 pm

I would take "players" in the second round. Save some salary space. Guys like Bacon, Ojeleye, Bryant, Swanigan, Hart, Blossingame and Thornwell may be ready to play now, and be cheap.
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

Interesting point on bigs.  The 2018 draft is supposedly going to be loaded with them, but this draft has a few quality bigs that should be available well into the second round.

Like you, I would like to see us go with a big that is strong inside first.  I'm not sold on another 7' 3-point artist.  Given that we should be taking Fultz at the top, do you draft shooters in the second, or take a big and hope that either he, Zizic, or a FA provide that inside presence?

Regards

Definitely a big in round two and if we have to trade up to get they guy we want, we have 3 picks to make that happen. The Celtics are saturated with new draftees every year. We could add 3-4 this year. (Including last years' picks) Once Boston renounces some players they will have room on the roster.

I heard Atlanta is not going to offer Milsap a max deal.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top