Trade brewing?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by fierce on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 pm

The Celtics and 76ers have been involved in substantive talks regarding a trade involving the first and third picks in next Thursday’s NBA draft, the Herald has confirmed. The story was first reported by ESPN and The Vertical. According to Herald sources, however, the move does not appear to be imminent, and it’s quite possible nothing will be decided until perhaps Monday. – via Boston Herald
Draft, Trade, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers
avatar
fierce

Posts : 820
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by fierce on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Looks like we'll have to wait a couple more days if this rumor really becomes a reality.

Celts will end up with a super team if they have a starting 5 of:

Thomas
Smart/Jaylen
Butler
Griffin or Hayward
Horford
avatar
fierce

Posts : 820
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by 112288 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Bob,

Carroll was selected by the Golden State Warriors with the first overall pick of the 1980 NBA draft. Many have labeled Carroll as one of the biggest busts in NBA Draft history, giving him the nicknames "Joe Barely Cares" and "Just Barely Carroll" for his perceived indifference to the game.  A great deal of Carroll's negative press, however, can reasonably be attributed to the fact that he often declined interviews and the fact that the Warriors traded Robert Parish and the draft choice used to select Kevin McHale to the Boston Celtics for the first overall pick used to select Carroll.

First, the way the trade stands now, we only get future #1 picks from Philly?   Big whoop!  Second, at #3, Celtics are at risk of not getting Jackson. Besides why give Philly any help in getting better when they play in our own division and Eastern Conference.  That means you may have to play them to get to the finals.

Getting back to the Parish trade, remember, Red traded down to #3 but received a quality defensive center and picked Mc Hale at #3. Not sure Jackson is a Mc Hale nor is the small forward position as meaningful as a power forward position when building out a team from the front court back.  Red always considered the importance of building a team from the center position first.  

Second, we are now becoming overloaded at small forward if we take Jackson.

Third, if we trade with the Lakers and get #2 and Randle, that does not move the needle for me.  Randle had an ok year, but he is entering his 3 rd year as a pro and closer to free agency.  Besides, I believe Fultz will be a huge impact player verses just a good player as Randle is currently. At PG, Fultz will be controlling the offense and will be affecting all his teammates on the floor. PF does not have a broader affect on the overall team as a whole while on the court.

Why not pick Fultz and wait and see what other fish swim by Danny's boat. Remember the trade for Love by Cleveland. Time is on our side.

Just my opinion as there are many other opinions just as valid.

112288
avatar
112288

Posts : 6083
Join date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by fierce on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 pm

I think Ainge will not draft Jackson at #3 if he trades the pick.

Ainge is going to use that pick to get Jimmy Butler or Paul George.
avatar
fierce

Posts : 820
Join date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by NYCelt on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:05 am

IF the rumors have any substance, and they might, it looks like it's all about stocking up on more picks, and getting young wings.  We might not get Jackson, because it looks like Philly wants him too.  It would mean Ainge is OK with any among Fultz, Jackson, Ball or Tatum.  

There don't seem to be any players involved here, just picks, so that could mean several key points;

1. We know we need to get stronger (and more) wings, and we'll start with this draft
2. We're anticipating giving Thomas a sizable contract to keep him, and...
3. We're keeping Bradley, and probably Smart, since we need D from a 2G who can defend multiple positions
4. Our strategy is to keep patiently building, while we wait for James to slow down.

Remember, we're talking about trading picks, not players.  If it was a sure thing Philly wanted, and would take Fultz, the likely scenario would be we keep the #1 pick, and take Fultz for Philly, then trade him for their #3 selection.  If Philly takes Jackson, and LA selects Fultz, we take Ball or Tatum. Fultz could even potentially fall to #3 if LA prefers Ball.

If Philly were to swap us the Lakers unprotected 2018 pick, which is part of the stack of moving pieces rumored, we're sitting pretty again next year.

Wing(SF) - Forward - Bench.  If this is real, it looks like we're working on wings first.

FWD: Horford
FWD: ?
WNG: possibly Jackson or Tatum + Brown or Crowder
WNG: Bradley, Smart...possibly Fultz
PntG: Thomas, Rozier...possibly Ball or Fultz

We have no cap space unless we part ways with Kelly and Johnson, so parting ways with them, Jerebko and Zeller would allow us money to look for another forward.  We would also be well positioned for the 2018 draft, which should be loaded with bigs, and we might find a promising big in this year's round 2.

Lots of moving parts, but it would leave us really strong and perhaps make us serious conference championship material within 2 or 3 years.


Last edited by NYCelt on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 6702
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:35 am

Why would you want Randle, a marginal player at best. What did he average 12 pig? Why would you want to give the LA Lakers Fultz, whose potential is there for the taking.

Here's hoping this one falls through
avatar
RosalieTCeltics

Posts : 14657
Join date : 2009-10-17
Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by KyleCleric on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:49 am

I'm not sure that trading down is the best plan but it certainly looks like we'll have an interesting week.

KyleCleric

Posts : 362
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by Rmbone on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 am

76ers leaning toward Jackson? Stephen A. Smith explains that if the 76ers and Celtics complete their trade, he is hearing that Philadelphia is all in on Josh Jackson over Markelle Fultz.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19658224



Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by dboss on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 am

Adding more picks does not make a lot of sense at this point in the rebuild.  DA said he would not trade the pick unless an elite player is coming back.  Who is the elite player?

Dboss
avatar
dboss

Posts : 6714
Join date : 2009-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by NYCelt on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 am

Rmbone wrote:76ers leaning toward Jackson? Stephen A. Smith explains that if the 76ers and Celtics complete their trade, he is hearing that Philadelphia is all in on Josh Jackson over Markelle Fultz.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19658224



Might be one of the few times I've heard Stephen A. make sense.

If we know Philly wants Jackson so bad they're willing to trade the pick they get from LA next year, we could get that 2018 pick, and still get Fultz, Tatum or Ball. He does under-rate Fultz erroneously, however, based on Washington's record.
avatar
NYCelt

Posts : 6702
Join date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:26 am

NYCelt wrote:
Rmbone wrote:76ers leaning toward Jackson? Stephen A. Smith explains that if the 76ers and Celtics complete their trade, he is hearing that Philadelphia is all in on Josh Jackson over Markelle Fultz.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19658224



Might be one of the few times I've heard Stephen A. make sense.

If we know Philly wants Jackson so bad they're willing to trade the pick they get from LA next year, we could get that 2018 pick, and still get Fultz, Tatum or Ball.  He does under-rate Fultz erroneously, however, based on Washington's record.

Who wouldn't love having 2 lottery picks next year? Oh right swish.

Even if they take Fultz, I'd be thrilled with Jackson, then with the Nets pick and Lakers unprotected in 18 draft would be great!! imagine getting Porter and one of the baby 7 footers?
avatar
cowens/oldschool

Posts : 12062
Join date : 2009-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Let's assume that:

A.  Magic covets Fultz over every other player.  Many do, and he's cooing like a dove over the workout Fultz had in LA.

B.  Philly covets Fultz or Jackson and thinks they will both be gone by the time they pick third.  A distinct possibility, if not probability.

C.  Danny covets an elite veteran, like Butler, over anybody in this draft.

D.  Danny likes someone in this draft, but it isn't Fultz or Jackson.


If Magic wants Fultz:  then trade the #1 to LA for the #2 and, say a future draft pick (or Julius Randle, or Tariq Black.  Both are muscle players, and we could use one of those).  If Danny likes Jackson he can use the #2 to take him.  Cheaper than the #1, he gains value from LA in the trade and still gets his man.


If Philly covets Fultz:  and they offer a better package than the Lakers, then do that trade.  The value coming from Philly for the #1 will be even better than the value for the #2 from the Lakers.

If Philly covets Jackson:  then draft Fultz and trade him to LA for the #2 plus value (examples above) and then use the #2 to draft Jackson and trade him to Philly for the #3 plus either Saric or Philly's 2018 first round pick or the Lakers' 2018 first round pick (which they own) or more, if possible.  If the LA deal doesn't work out, or even exist, then just trade him straight to Philly.  Philly has a lot of picks and might not covet them as much as Danny.  Colangelo has said "The Process" is over, and they want to start winning.  Well, running a perpetual kindergarten because they have too many picks isn't the way to do that.  Danny has veterans and a winning club, he can afford to have picks just for the hell of it.  He can trade a pick forward, knowing that he will still be able to field a winning roster this year anyway.  Colangelo cannot afford to punt even one year.

I would be willing to bet real money that one of Danny's eyes are on what Chicago wants for Butler and, perhaps, what Indy wants for George, because Danny never gives up until the body is cold and in the ground.  If Chicago wants more draft picks, then maybe this year's #2 plus other assets (some of which we've picked up), or this year's #3 and adding the Philly or Laker first round pick for next year (plus players) might do it.  Doing these little rolls add assets that might be included in a trade for one of those guys and they don't come out of our existing core, they are coming from LA and/or Philly's.

If Danny covets Butler:  then adding assets, especially additional quality draft picks like LA and Philly's 2018 first rounders, helps to get him without giving up the Brooklyn 2018 pick.  Or, if the 2018 Brooklyn pick has to be the one that goes, then maybe we keep LA or Philly's for ourselves.  All 3 of those teams should be in the lottery next year, probably in the upper half, and I'm hearing next year's draft is deep in quality bigs.

If Danny likes Tatum or Fox or Smith or Isaac: then he could use the #2 or #3 pick to get them.  He could even roll the deal one deal further forward to Phoenix or Sacto and use their picks to take them (would Phoenix take Tatum if they have Bender?  Would they take Fox or Smith if they have Bledsoe?).  Then they'll be cheaper too, saving cap space by not having to pay #1 or #2 or #3 salaries.

What I'm getting at is it might be possible for Danny to even trade down 2x, picking up value each time, and use that value to get the player he wants, either Jimmy Butler or Jackson or Tatum or Smith or Saric or...To get Butler we'd have to give up players, but he'd be a definite upgrade to our starting 5 unless we're giving up IT or Horford (not so much because of talent but because we haven't much depth behind him, if any, so giving him up would leave a hole you could drive a Peterbilt through).  IT + Butler + Horford is pretty good.  If Bradley and Crowder are gone then Jaylen steps up and plays some 2, like he did when he started in place of Bradley this year, and Rozier gets more minutes guarding the ultra-quick guards.

Danny is, and has been for a couple years now, chasing big game.  Fultz is not big game.  He's Bambi, who might someday grow up to be big game.  Butler is big game.  If he isn't impressed with either Fultz or Jackson (Jackson refused to even work out for us) then Danny might go for the 27 year old All-NBA Third Team, 3x All-Star, 3x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team bird in the hand in Butler.

And if all this falls through, then we're still good.  We still have the #1 pick and get whomever Danny considers the pick of the litter.  If Danny trades down 1x or 2x but that's still not enough to pry Butler/George/etal loose, then we've gained assets and still have the #2 or #3 pick that can be used on Jackson or Tatum or Fox or Smith and that's not bad neither unless you are just head over heels in love with Fultz and you think nobody else even comes close.  Fultz is working out everywhere now, even as far down as Sacto @ #5, and is being emergency diverted to Philly for a workout and Philly is reportedly awaiting his medical results.  All that says something to me.  It doesn't necessarily mean there will be a deal, but it says that Fultz isn't confident he's ending up in Boston, regardless of whether we are the ones who draft him.

It's a win-win-win-win scenario, with ALL of those wins being ours because we are in the catbird seat with #1.


bob


.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 34104
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by red16russ11 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:36 pm

bobheckler wrote:Let's assume that:

A.  Magic covets Fultz over every other player.  Many do, and he's cooing like a dove over the workout Fultz had in LA.

B.  Philly covets Fultz or Jackson and thinks they will both be gone by the time they pick third.  A distinct possibility, if not probability.

C.  Danny covets an elite veteran, like Butler, over anybody in this draft.

D.  Danny likes someone in this draft, but it isn't Fultz or Jackson.


If Magic wants Fultz:  then trade the #1 to LA for the #2 and, say a future draft pick (or Julius Randle, or Tariq Black.  Both are muscle players, and we could use one of those).  If Danny likes Jackson he can use the #2 to take him.  Cheaper than the #1, he gains value from LA in the trade and still gets his man.


If Philly covets Fultz:  and they offer a better package than the Lakers, then do that trade.  The value coming from Philly for the #1 will be even better than the value for the #2 from the Lakers.

If Philly covets Jackson:  then draft Fultz and trade him to LA for the #2 plus value (examples above) and then use the #2 to draft Jackson and trade him to Philly for the #3 plus either Saric or Philly's 2018 first round pick or the Lakers' 2018 first round pick (which they own) or more, if possible.  If the LA deal doesn't work out, or even exist, then just trade him straight to Philly.  Philly has a lot of picks and might not covet them as much as Danny.  Colangelo has said "The Process" is over, and they want to start winning.  Well, running a perpetual kindergarten because they have too many picks isn't the way to do that.  Danny has veterans and a winning club, he can afford to have picks just for the hell of it.  He can trade a pick forward, knowing that he will still be able to field a winning roster this year anyway.  Colangelo cannot afford to punt even one year.

I would be willing to bet real money that one of Danny's eyes are on what Chicago wants for Butler and, perhaps, what Indy wants for George, because Danny never gives up until the body is cold and in the ground.  If Chicago wants more draft picks, then maybe this year's #2 plus other assets (some of which we've picked up), or this year's #3 and adding the Philly or Laker first round pick for next year (plus players) might do it.  Doing these little rolls add assets that might be included in a trade for one of those guys and they don't come out of our existing core, they are coming from LA and/or Philly's.

If Danny covets Butler:  then adding assets, especially additional quality draft picks like LA and Philly's 2018 first rounders, helps to get him without giving up the Brooklyn 2018 pick.  Or, if the 2018 Brooklyn pick has to be the one that goes, then maybe we keep LA or Philly's for ourselves.  All 3 of those teams should be in the lottery next year, probably in the upper half, and I'm hearing next year's draft is deep in quality bigs.

If Danny likes Tatum or Fox or Smith or Isaac: then he could use the #2 or #3 pick to get them.  He could even roll the deal one deal further forward to Phoenix or Sacto and use their picks to take them (would Phoenix take Tatum if they have Bender?  Would they take Fox or Smith if they have Bledsoe?).  Then they'll be cheaper too, saving cap space by not having to pay #1 or #2 or #3 salaries.

What I'm getting at is it might be possible for Danny to even trade down 2x, picking up value each time, and use that value to get the player he wants, either Jimmy Butler or Jackson or Tatum or Smith or Saric or...To get Butler we'd have to give up players, but he'd be a definite upgrade to our starting 5 unless we're giving up IT or Horford (not so much because of talent but because we haven't much depth behind him, if any, so giving him up would leave a hole you could drive a Peterbilt through).  IT + Butler + Horford is pretty good.  If Bradley and Crowder are gone then Jaylen steps up and plays some 2, like he did when he started in place of Bradley this year, and Rozier gets more minutes guarding the ultra-quick guards.

Danny is, and has been for a couple years now, chasing big game.  Fultz is not big game.  He's Bambi, who might someday grow up to be big game.  Butler is big game.  If he isn't impressed with either Fultz or Jackson (Jackson refused to even work out for us) then Danny might go for the 27 year old All-NBA Third Team, 3x All-Star, 3x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team bird in the hand in Butler.

And if all this falls through, then we're still good.  We still have the #1 pick and get whomever Danny considers the pick of the litter.  If Danny trades down 1x or 2x but that's still not enough to pry Butler/George/etal loose, then we've gained assets and still have the #2 or #3 pick that can be used on Jackson or Tatum or Fox or Smith and that's not bad neither unless you are just head over heels in love with Fultz and you think nobody else even comes close.  Fultz is working out everywhere now, even as far down as Sacto @ #5, and is being emergency diverted to Philly for a workout and Philly is reportedly awaiting his medical results.  All that says something to me.  It doesn't necessarily mean there will be a deal, but it says that Fultz isn't confident he's ending up in Boston, regardless of whether we are the ones who draft him.

It's a win-win-win-win scenario, with ALL of those wins being ours because we are in the catbird seat with #1.


bob


.

Well said Bob.

I might add that I would NEVER trade with the Lakers......ever!
We are, as you say, in the drivers' seat. And it IS a win-win-win-win scenario. Very rare, but deserved after getting the #1 pick.
I think we can do better than Randle or Black, anyway, so they are O U T anyway.
I wouldn't go for George, unless he agrees to an extension. Too risky.
Butler is intriguing. I hope he doesn't mortgage the farm for him. Next year, two picks, and some players. NOT this year's pick - too valuable. Can we still then sign a max free agent, after acquiring Butler. He has a 5% trade kicker.
He's going to make 18.6 this year. How would that affect us?
I'm torn, I kind of want to play this out and see who Danny would take. Would trading, say, AB and signing Blake be better?
It would be - I think - IT, AB, Butler, Horford, Zizic, with Rozier, Brown, Crowder
OR - IT, Fultz, Hayward, Blake, Horford..........I don't know.....
This week should be fun, if anything happens at all. It's nice to be in the Driver's seat - reminds me of the old song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCzVEUlqqA
avatar
red16russ11

Posts : 506
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:54 pm

red16russ11 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Let's assume that:

A.  Magic covets Fultz over every other player.  Many do, and he's cooing like a dove over the workout Fultz had in LA.

B.  Philly covets Fultz or Jackson and thinks they will both be gone by the time they pick third.  A distinct possibility, if not probability.

C.  Danny covets an elite veteran, like Butler, over anybody in this draft.

D.  Danny likes someone in this draft, but it isn't Fultz or Jackson.


If Magic wants Fultz:  then trade the #1 to LA for the #2 and, say a future draft pick (or Julius Randle, or Tariq Black.  Both are muscle players, and we could use one of those).  If Danny likes Jackson he can use the #2 to take him.  Cheaper than the #1, he gains value from LA in the trade and still gets his man.


If Philly covets Fultz:  and they offer a better package than the Lakers, then do that trade.  The value coming from Philly for the #1 will be even better than the value for the #2 from the Lakers.

If Philly covets Jackson:  then draft Fultz and trade him to LA for the #2 plus value (examples above) and then use the #2 to draft Jackson and trade him to Philly for the #3 plus either Saric or Philly's 2018 first round pick or the Lakers' 2018 first round pick (which they own) or more, if possible.  If the LA deal doesn't work out, or even exist, then just trade him straight to Philly.  Philly has a lot of picks and might not covet them as much as Danny.  Colangelo has said "The Process" is over, and they want to start winning.  Well, running a perpetual kindergarten because they have too many picks isn't the way to do that.  Danny has veterans and a winning club, he can afford to have picks just for the hell of it.  He can trade a pick forward, knowing that he will still be able to field a winning roster this year anyway.  Colangelo cannot afford to punt even one year.

I would be willing to bet real money that one of Danny's eyes are on what Chicago wants for Butler and, perhaps, what Indy wants for George, because Danny never gives up until the body is cold and in the ground.  If Chicago wants more draft picks, then maybe this year's #2 plus other assets (some of which we've picked up), or this year's #3 and adding the Philly or Laker first round pick for next year (plus players) might do it.  Doing these little rolls add assets that might be included in a trade for one of those guys and they don't come out of our existing core, they are coming from LA and/or Philly's.

If Danny covets Butler:  then adding assets, especially additional quality draft picks like LA and Philly's 2018 first rounders, helps to get him without giving up the Brooklyn 2018 pick.  Or, if the 2018 Brooklyn pick has to be the one that goes, then maybe we keep LA or Philly's for ourselves.  All 3 of those teams should be in the lottery next year, probably in the upper half, and I'm hearing next year's draft is deep in quality bigs.

If Danny likes Tatum or Fox or Smith or Isaac: then he could use the #2 or #3 pick to get them.  He could even roll the deal one deal further forward to Phoenix or Sacto and use their picks to take them (would Phoenix take Tatum if they have Bender?  Would they take Fox or Smith if they have Bledsoe?).  Then they'll be cheaper too, saving cap space by not having to pay #1 or #2 or #3 salaries.

What I'm getting at is it might be possible for Danny to even trade down 2x, picking up value each time, and use that value to get the player he wants, either Jimmy Butler or Jackson or Tatum or Smith or Saric or...To get Butler we'd have to give up players, but he'd be a definite upgrade to our starting 5 unless we're giving up IT or Horford (not so much because of talent but because we haven't much depth behind him, if any, so giving him up would leave a hole you could drive a Peterbilt through).  IT + Butler + Horford is pretty good.  If Bradley and Crowder are gone then Jaylen steps up and plays some 2, like he did when he started in place of Bradley this year, and Rozier gets more minutes guarding the ultra-quick guards.

Danny is, and has been for a couple years now, chasing big game.  Fultz is not big game.  He's Bambi, who might someday grow up to be big game.  Butler is big game.  If he isn't impressed with either Fultz or Jackson (Jackson refused to even work out for us) then Danny might go for the 27 year old All-NBA Third Team, 3x All-Star, 3x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team bird in the hand in Butler.

And if all this falls through, then we're still good.  We still have the #1 pick and get whomever Danny considers the pick of the litter.  If Danny trades down 1x or 2x but that's still not enough to pry Butler/George/etal loose, then we've gained assets and still have the #2 or #3 pick that can be used on Jackson or Tatum or Fox or Smith and that's not bad neither unless you are just head over heels in love with Fultz and you think nobody else even comes close.  Fultz is working out everywhere now, even as far down as Sacto @ #5, and is being emergency diverted to Philly for a workout and Philly is reportedly awaiting his medical results.  All that says something to me.  It doesn't necessarily mean there will be a deal, but it says that Fultz isn't confident he's ending up in Boston, regardless of whether we are the ones who draft him.

It's a win-win-win-win scenario, with ALL of those wins being ours because we are in the catbird seat with #1.


bob


.

Well said Bob.

I might add that I would NEVER trade with the Lakers......ever!
We are, as you say, in the drivers' seat.  And it IS a win-win-win-win scenario.  Very rare, but deserved after getting the #1 pick.
I think we can do better than Randle or Black, anyway, so they are O U T anyway.
I wouldn't go for George, unless he agrees to an extension.  Too risky.
Butler is intriguing.  I hope he doesn't mortgage the farm for him.  Next year, two picks, and some players.  NOT this year's pick - too valuable.  Can we still then sign a max free agent, after acquiring Butler.  He has a 5% trade kicker.  
He's going to make 18.6 this year.  How would that affect us?
I'm torn, I kind of want to play this out and see who Danny would take.  Would trading, say, AB and signing Blake be better?
It would be - I think - IT, AB, Butler, Horford, Zizic, with Rozier, Brown, Crowder
OR - IT, Fultz, Hayward, Blake, Horford..........I don't know.....
This week should be fun, if anything happens at all.  It's nice to be in the Driver's seat - reminds me of the old song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCzVEUlqqA


Russ,

All things being equal, I would trade with the Lakers before I would trade with Philly.  The path to the Finals, for us, goes through the EC Playoffs.  Philly has a lot of young talent and has nowhere to go but up.  LA is in the west and is hell-and-gone from the WC Finals.  Their road to #17 is MUCH longer than ours is to #18.  Two games/year shouldn't worry us.  Our rivalry in the past doesn't have anything to do with doing what it takes to get #18.  If trading with the Lakers gets us past Cleveland, then I say "let's do it".


.


bob

.
avatar
bobheckler

Posts : 34104
Join date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by kdp59 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 pm



Butler is intriguing.  I hope he doesn't mortgage the farm for him.  Next year, two picks, and some players.  NOT this year's pick - too valuable.  Can we still then sign a max free agent, after acquiring Butler.  He has a 5% trade kicker.  
He's going to make 18.6 this year.  How would that affect us?


here ya go


http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

they have all hold except the draft pick for next week ( I assume because it hasn't happened yet). so Figure about $5-6 more.

IF you want a max or near max player AND Butler...you need to dump Crowder and Braldey's salary's in that trade to do it.

I spelled out one way to get it done in this thread the other day

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t12750-pondering-the-blake-rumors-and-a-super-team


most here don't seem to think its a good idea however.

avatar
kdp59

Posts : 3225
Join date : 2014-01-05
Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by red16russ11 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:00 pm

kdp59 wrote:

Butler is intriguing.  I hope he doesn't mortgage the farm for him.  Next year, two picks, and some players.  NOT this year's pick - too valuable.  Can we still then sign a max free agent, after acquiring Butler.  He has a 5% trade kicker.  
He's going to make 18.6 this year.  How would that affect us?


here ya go


http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

they have all hold except the draft pick for next week ( I assume because it hasn't happened yet). so Figure about $5-6 more.

IF you want a max or near max player AND Butler...you need to dump Crowder and Braldey's salary's in that trade to do it.

I spelled  out one way to get it done in this thread the other day

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t12750-pondering-the-blake-rumors-and-a-super-team


most here don't seem to think its a good idea however.


OMG - don't count me as one of them......LOL
avatar
red16russ11

Posts : 506
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by 112288 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Here is the real deal on Danny and the Celtics and all this talk on trading #1 pick.  This is a chess match Danny is playing and not checkers.   It all boils down to the following:

1) Does Danny need a Point Guard?  If yes, a PG will be drafted as their future.  But which point guard?

From an athletic and basketball standpoint, where does the Celtic brain trust and higherarchy rank Fultz and other point guards as opposed to all the NBA/College ranking services and guru's for point guards?        Meaning does Fultz have the highest odds of becoming a dominant player at PG as opposed to another player at PG in the draft?  Are there other point guards ranked high then Fultz by Danny and the Celtics?

Or, does Fultz and other PG's not rank higher then the current Celtics at PG > IT, Smart and Roszier?  

So, if Danny does not need a PG and is satisfied with what they have now, then the #1 pick is traded to LA or Philly, Danny gets Jackson and future #1 pick and or players such as Randle.

OR, if Fultz and other PG's do not rank higher then the current Celtics at PG > IT, Smart and Roszie, then Danny trades the #1 pick to LA or Philly or a third unknown team.

NOW ANOTHER SCENARIO EXISTS EVEN IF DANNY IS THINKING PG

2) Again, from an athletic and basketball standpoint, where does the Celtic brain trust and higherarchy rank Fultz and other point guards as having the highest odds of becoming a dominant player in the NBA as compared to other players at different positions in the draft such as Jackson.  If the Celtics rank Jackson higher in the probability of becoming a dominant player at his position in the NBA as opposed to Fultz and other draft PG's, then Danny trades down and gets gets Jackson and a future #1 pick and or players such as Randle, and Danny waits another day to acquire a PG.

OR,

3) Danny is just testing the waters and trolling to see what bites he gets by throwing out some chum in the form of trading the #1 pick and what value he can obtain. He can then keep this in his back pocket for future trades when needed.

OR

4)  Danny can do some of the thinks mentioned above along with  trading current players on the Celtics and a #1 pick next year for Butler, George or who ever.  I believe Butler and George are both overrated in terms of the compensation currently being asked.  

I also think it is the most difficult and most dangerous of all the scenarios as you need more then Butler or George or Hayward to go for Banner #18.  You need a power forward and center to complete the team and the right players may not come or may be offered better deals by their current clubs so you end up with an incomplete team.

112288
avatar
112288

Posts : 6083
Join date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by red16russ11 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Danny has said that the trade for the #1 pick, which netted 3 future first round picks is his favorite deal of all time. I think he is trying to duplicate that, even if two of them go to CHI
avatar
red16russ11

Posts : 506
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by Rmbone on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:43 pm

In the predictions thread I guessed that if Danny trades down to 3, and Fultz and Jackson are gone, he would take Dennis Smith.

Smith is working out in Boston right now, and not for the first time, but for the second time. Danny saw a potential star in Rozier. I think he sees a potential superstar in Dennis Smith.

I think Danny also realizes we're not anywhere close to the verge of beating GSW or CLE. And IT isn't the guy to get it done, whether in his last year on a great contract or in any years on a huge contract.

Replacing IT4 with Smith might be a later move, but that's what the stockpile of great future picks is for.

It's a 4-5 year plan, and IT4 likely isn't part of it.

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by red16russ11 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Rmbone wrote:In the predictions thread I guessed that if Danny trades down to 3, and Fultz and Jackson are gone, he would take Dennis Smith.

Smith is working out in Boston right now, and not for the first time, but for the  second time. Danny saw a potential star in Rozier. I think he sees a potential superstar in Dennis Smith.

I think Danny also realizes we're not anywhere close to the verge of beating GSW or CLE. And IT isn't the guy to get it done, whether in his last year on a great contract or in any years on a huge contract.

Replacing IT4 with Smith might be a later move, but that's what the stockpile of great future picks is for.

It's a 4-5 year plan, and IT4 likely isn't part of it.

Isaac had been in twice as well.
avatar
red16russ11

Posts : 506
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by Rmbone on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Former University of Washington guard Markelle Fultz is expected to work out for the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday, the team announced.

Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald first reported the news.

ESPN's Marc Stein and Zach Lowe reported Friday that the Sixers and Boston Celtics were in discussions for a trade involving the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft, which is set for Thursday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical reported the two teams were engaged in deep discussions and added that a potential deal would involve Philly sending the No. 3 overall pick and a future first-round pick to Boston for the No. 1 selection this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716211-markelle-fultz-reportedly-working-out-for-philadelphia-76ers

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by Rmbone on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:52 pm

If you study Fultz's facial expressions and body language in both his Celtics and Lakers pictures, he looks discontent in both settings, not just in LA.

Fultz attended 1-2 76ers games this spring, but no Celtics games. Not suggesting Fultz tanked his Celtics workout, but I think he's quite happy to be going to PHI pending workout.



The NBA prospect out of Washington unexpectedly took in the Sixers-Nets game at the Wells Fargo Center and enjoyed the scene.

Fultz, a projected top-five pick -- and possibly No. 1 overall -- for June's NBA draft, walked out of the Wells Fargo Center tunnel and wouldn't mind doing it again.

"Oh, man, I can see it happening," he said in an interview with CSNPhilly's John Clark. "I think it would be a great atmosphere, so it would be cool."

So, what brought him to the Sixers' 141-118 blowout loss?

"Just show some support," he said. "I might have a chance to go here, so I just wanted to come out and see how they play, stuff like that, the atmosphere.

"I think they play well together, they've got good chemistry and they're young."
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-76ers/nba-draft-prospect-markelle-fultz-sixers-i-can-see-it-happening

Rmbone

Posts : 415
Join date : 2017-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by wideclyde on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I am having a really difficult time figuring out where so many of our board members keep mentioning procuring George after he has already said that he is going to go to LA (to 'go home') next summer when his current contract is up.

Yes, he is a good player, his salary is still pretty manageable, and he could (?) sign on for longer, but he is basically a one year rental because none of these guys (except David West) is signing anything until they become free agents. And, no player on a rental is going to get Ainge to give away our (Nets) first round draft pick. Even Durant is not signing anything with the Warriors until free agency starts in July and he IS a lock to sign with his current team.

Am I missing something big on this guy?

wideclyde

Posts : 1272
Join date : 2015-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by red16russ11 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:58 pm

wideclyde wrote:I am having a really difficult time figuring out where so many of our board members keep mentioning procuring George after he has already said that he is going to go to LA (to 'go home') next summer when his current contract is up.

Yes, he is a good player, his salary is still pretty manageable, and he could (?) sign on for longer, but he is basically a one year rental because none of these guys (except David West) is signing anything until they become free agents.  And, no player on a rental is going to get Ainge to give away our (Nets) first round draft pick.  Even Durant is not signing anything with the Warriors until free agency starts in July and he IS a lock to sign with his current team.

Am I missing something big on this guy?
No on George unless he signs an extension.
I am in the minority here, but I think he will get first, second or third team All NBA next year, and stay in IND. It's, like, 100 mill extra for a super max contract........
avatar
red16russ11

Posts : 506
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Trade brewing?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum