dboss
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Paul George Thread Empty The Paul George Thread

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Sources are saying that Paul George has told the Pacers he is leaving the team after next year.  Reportedly, he has said he prefers the Lakers. 

Bidding has begun.

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA

Sense from teams talking to IND is that Pacers intend to move fast on a PG deal.
6:26 PM · Jun 18, 2017

The Lakers had been hoping to wait out the year and sign George as a free agent and not have to give up any players.  That might not be an option for them anymore.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 6 hours ago
It should be noted that just because Paul George leaks that he is going to the Lakers doesn’t mean he would pass up on BOS or CLE. twitter.com/celticsblog/st…
reply retweet like

Prefers the Lakers is not the same as "The Lakers, period".

I would assume, Danny and Wyc not being complete idiots, there would be an agreement in place, albeit oral, that he would sign with the new team like KG agreed to do in 2007.

It would take the #3 plus players.  For the Lakers, the #2 plus players.

George makes $18M.  Deng makes $18M, although why they would take him is beyond me, but the $ works.

Here is a question:  should Danny go for George or Butler?  Butler's defense, I think, is better. They both can score at will. Both are still young (PG was 27 in May and JB will be 28 in September) and both are playing at high levels (PG has recovered from the broken leg and JB has no serious injury history).

Opinions?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Paul George Thread Empty Re: The Paul George Thread

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Bob what makes you think Butlers defense is better? PG is 2 inches taller, while Butler is very good defensively, so is George.

So I guess Danny is not as thrilled with Fultz as we all assumed, George and Butler would both help us a lot more short term than Fultz, both are legit wing all stars that play both ends and are at their peak right now.....if we acquire either with the 3rd pick and some players that would take us closer to contending.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

I think I would prefer Paul George

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Cleveland led  by Lebron is going after PG.

Very little chance DA can get him..  Pacers very likely to move him.  Although he has talked about LA they are a rebuilding team.  I can see him agreeing to stay with cavs if LJ stays there.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Bob what makes you think Butlers defense is better? PG is 2 inches taller, while Butler is very good defensively, so is George.

So I guess Danny is not as thrilled with Fultz as we all assumed, George and Butler would both help us a lot more short term than Fultz, both are legit wing all stars that play both ends and are at their peak right now.....if we acquire either with the 3rd pick and some players that would take us closer to contending.

Cow,

Just an opinion. Maybe not.

Rumor is Cleveland will take him without a promise to re-sign.

What would Cleveland have to give up?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:59 am

was wondering what moves Lebron was gonna make? would be so much better with PG taking Loves place, with Lebron and George taking turns playing PF.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:was wondering what moves Lebron was gonna make? would be so much better with PG taking Loves place, with Lebron and George taking turns playing PF.

That's more effective because the Warriors' PF is KD.

Cavs are not effective with Tristan and Love at the 4 and 5 because Draymond and KD are just to fast for Love and Tristan.

Tristan and Lebron at 4 and 5 is more lethal.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 am

fierce wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:was wondering what moves Lebron was gonna make? would be so much better with PG taking Loves place, with Lebron and George taking turns playing PF.

Cavs are not effective with Tristan and Love at the 4 and 5 because Draymond and KD are just to fast for Love and Tristan.

Love sucked in the Finals, had one great game and way too many 1-9 games from field and his defense was pretty non existent.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
fierce wrote:

Love sucked in the Finals, had one great game and way too many 1-9 games from field and his defense was pretty non existent.

That's because he can't keep up with the Warriors' small ball lineup.

This is an opportunity to solve the Celts' rebounding problem.

Love is also cheaper than Horford, only 22m per year.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 am

we don't need Love

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:we don't need Love

If not Love then I'm sure Ainge will be getting another star player besides Gordon Hayward.

Ainge didn't trade down from #1 to #3 just to gamble on Josh Jackson being there.

There's something bigger in the works.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 am

dboss wrote:Cleveland led  by Lebron is going after PG.

Very little chance DA can get him..  Pacers very likely to move him.  Although he has talked about LA they are a rebuilding team.  I can see him agreeing to stay with cavs if LJ stays there.

Dboss
I asked this on another thread so I guess I'll ask you too.  If Cleveland acquires Paul George, what position does he play?  Lebron is a small forward and so is Paul. Who changes position and what position does that player play? Paul George is not a guard, and although he played a little power forward last year, he doesn't like it, and at 220 pounds, is not physically equipped to play that position. Plus, Kevin Love (unless he's traded - and that won't be easy) is Cleveland's power forward. We know he's not a center because of his lack of rim protection and overall lack of defense.  Lebron is not a guard and not a power forward. The Cavs acquiring Paul George makes no sense. It certainly makes sense for the Lakers.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
fierce wrote:

Cow,

Kevin Love averaged 19.0ppg and 11.2 rpg during the season.

In the 13 games against Indy, Toronto and Boston he averaged 17.2ppg and 10.38rpg.

In the 5 games against GSW he averaged 15.8ppg and 11.2rpg.

So his numbers weren't that far off and GSW is GSW. They are this era's super team.

He had his single digit games but he also had his high-20s and 30s games too. There were games where he all but disappeared and there were games where he was the best player on the floor and that's saying something considering who else is on his team.

Overall, I'd take a 16.8ppg, 10.6rpg PF, that's what his entire playoff average was, especially given how badly we need a big-time rebounder.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 am

fierce wrote:

Fierce,

A minor point, but KD is not GSW's PF, Draymond Green is. He's a bigger Marcus Smart (but a better shooter). KD plays 3 and guarded LeBron for most of that series.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 am

Love has 3 years left on his contract. Blake would have 4 if we signed him. Blake would get more $$. Kevin gets $22M a year. Kevin is a better player. I'm starting to see the sense of a Love, Hayward, Brown/Bradley, IT, Horford starting lineup, but is it good enough to win #18+?

worcester
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

bobheckler wrote:
fierce wrote:

Fierce,

A minor point, but KD is not GSW's PF, Draymond Green is.  He's a bigger Marcus Smart (but a better shooter).  KD plays 3 and guarded LeBron for most of that series.

bob

Warriors went with Klay, Steph, KD, Draymond, and Iggy late in the game.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:03 am

fierce wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
fierce wrote:

Fierce,

A minor point, but KD is not GSW's PF, Draymond Green is.  He's a bigger Marcus Smart (but a better shooter).  KD plays 3 and guarded LeBron for most of that series.

bob

Warriors went with Klay, Steph, KD, Draymond, and Iggy late in the game.

Fierce,

Maybe in Game 5, maybe even throughout the series vs Cleveland, but for the 82 games + first two playoff rounds before that KD played 3 most of the time.

He is what Brad calls "a swing", he can play 3 and 4. As a starter, he plays 3 with Green at 4. Deeper into the game it's about matchups, the same way Brad will put Smart on KD and Bradley on Butler.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am

steve3344 wrote:
dboss wrote:Cleveland led  by Lebron is going after PG.

Dboss
I asked this on another thread so I guess I'll ask you too.  If Cleveland acquires Paul George, what position does he play?  Lebron is a small forward and so is Paul. Who changes position and what position does that player play? Paul George is not a guard, and although he played a little power forward last year, he doesn't like it, and at 220 pounds, is not physically equipped to play that position. Plus, Kevin Love (unless he's traded - and that won't be easy) is Cleveland's power forward. We know he's not a center because of his lack of rim protection and overall lack of defense.  Lebron is not a guard and not a power forward. The Cavs acquiring Paul George makes no sense. It certainly makes sense for the Lakers.

Steve3344

Lebron is a multi-positional player.  In today's NBA he can play all 5 positions so it really does not matter who else is in there with him.

If they were to get Paul it would take them to another level.  Paul is also a milti-positional player.  He is a SF but can also play SG and PF.  It would give Cleveland two long and athletics players that can score rebound, shoot on or off the ball and rebound.

There is no downside for Cleveland.  They would have to part with either Love or Irving and it would likely be Love.  It would allow them to play at a faster pace.  Cleveland is in the driver seat.  Indiana now knows that he is going to leave.  To his credit he gave them a full year's notice so they have to move him.  He may have love for LA but they stink.  If he goes there I do not see anything in the horizon that indicates a winning situation.  He would be joining a rebuilding team.

The decision will be up to him.  

dboss

Last edited by dboss on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am

Ramona Shelburne ✔ @ramonashelburne
For those asking about PG, the Lakers have shown no inclination yet of surrendering anything for a player they can get in free agency.
3:56 PM - 18 Jun 2017
496 496 Retweets 1,101 1,101 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:54 am

Again, I hope we keep our #3 and next year's pick from Philly and build long term through the draft. Cheaper, better way to obtain and keep great - not good, but great - players for the long term.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

worcester wrote:Again, I hope we keep our #3 and next year's pick from Philly and build long term through the draft. Cheaper, better way to obtain and keep great - not good, but great - players for the long term.

Worcester

The Philly/LA pick is unlikely to be conveyed next year. It has to fall between 2-5. The Nets' pick was laid by the golden goose. Quality bigs at the top of the board through 4-5 selections.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm

dboss, you think LA won't fall within the 2-5 pick next year? Is that what you're saying?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

The LA pick (via Philly) will be more likely to fall into the Cs hands if Paul George does not play for them next season.

George is a very good player and could easily be responsible for helping the Lakers to win 5 to 7 games which could push them far enough off the bottom where the Cs could lose that pick.

The Nets pick next year is also likely to be a lottery pick, but probably not anywhere near close enough to the bottom of the standings which will prevent the Cs from getting anything in the top five.

Time to move some of these draft picks to better build the 2018 Cs!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:55 pm

If LA doesn't get PG this year, they will suck.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm

worcester wrote:dboss, you think LA won't fall within the 2-5 pick next year? Is that what you're saying?

I think it is unlikely.

LA should be better this year then last year. They will probably still be a lottery team but I think they will be better than 5th worst record. Any pick with protection on it has risk. We only get the pick if LA falls 2,3,4 or 5 from the bottom.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next