Griffin or Love?

Griffin or Love? Vote_lcap80%Griffin or Love? Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 8 ]
Griffin or Love? Vote_lcap20%Griffin or Love? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Griffin or Love? Empty Griffin or Love?

Post by gyso Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:15 am

Could be none of the above, but let's assume it is one of them.

Pick one.  This is for which you want, NOT which one you think Danny will try to get. This is for you to state YOUR preference.

Of course we can get Griffin straight up as a free agent, but we'd have to complete a trade for Love. That makes it more complicated than just Jackson or Tatum.

Make your choice and tell us why.

gyso (aka "The Plagiarizer")

Back to top Go down

Griffin or Love? Empty Re: Griffin or Love?

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 am

Hi,
I selected Love because he's a better 3pt and FT shooter and, he's not injured as often as Blake.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 am

I'd lean toward the free agent, Blake Griffin. That'd still preserve our ability to trade for a wing.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:47 am

KyleCleric wrote:I'd lean toward the free agent, Blake Griffin. That'd still preserve our ability to trade for a wing.

I agree. Love`s lack of foot speed on D is also concerning. Hayward is intruiging, too.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am

Ditto, I'd lean toward the free agent, Blake Griffin. That'd still preserve our ability to trade for a wing.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:51 am

This is too easy. Sort of like a bonus question.

I choose Griffin because I think he is better than Love plus with Love you will have to give up some big time assets. Why do that if you can get a stud through free agency?

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am

I said Griffin.

Proven rebounder and inside scorer, pushes several other buttons we need.  Relatively young, injuries some concern but have not been that major.  A free agent and we can part ways with the contracts needed to make room.  Love is a little slow and not as dominant on the glass, plus we would have to part ways with players, and more likely, picks.  I also would guess that Love won't be available; I expect Cleveland to do everything they can to bolster their roster for another title run.

I'm not at all sold on pursuing Hayward, if, instead, we can secure a big like Griffin, and use the #3 pick to take Tatum or Jackson.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 am

Griffin is the better player right now. No one on our team averaged 8 boards per game. Blake did this WITH Jordan, the league's leading rebounder. He can get 10 boards for us per game, easily. Too much of a gamble on Love, have to trade too much. Get Blake as a FA. Pierce has already sold him on BOS.........hope it happens.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 am

I'm going with Love.  Here are my reasons:

1.  Love is a better 3pt fg% shooter, but Griffin is better in close.  We need someone effective in the paint if/when Amir leaves but there are other ways to deal with that and Brad is all about space-and-pace and Love is the better floor spacer by far.

2.  Over the past 3 years Griffin played 67, 35 and 61 games.  Not good, right?  But Bradley lost more games last year and, while there are some rumblings on this board about that people are generally hesitant about trading him for other than quality because when he is healthy he is very effective.  Same with Griffin.  Let's remember that the reason why Griffin only played 35 games that year is because he broke his hand punching a trainer.  Not good, HOWEVER, that is the type of stupidity one can learn from.  It was not leg or back related, which would be much more serious, but he has had a lot of knee problems, especially his left knee.  Knees don't get younger. Other than having his arm dislocated by bully boy Kelly Olynyk, Kevin Love has been relatively healthy. He only played 60 games last year, so both of them had off seasons health-wise. Love had back spasms and then arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to "remove a loose body in his left knee". Nevertheless, he was healthy for the playoffs, so maybe no big deal with today's medical world. Sounds worse than it is.

3.  Both are good rebounders but Love is a little better/minute.  That is a desperate need of ours.

4.  Neither are great defenders, to put it mildly, but who is more likely to go off for 30 points?  Recent, and painful, history says that it's Love. And that is the final word.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 am

I think the choice should be:

1) Blake Griffen as FA and J. Butler in trade

2) G. Hayward as FA and K. Love in trade

Danny could make either work in the off-season
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 am

I chose Griffin because he is a free agent and he will help with rebounds and points in the paint. Hopefully there will be less blown bunnies with him. Brad just needs to teach him to shoot just one three pointer per game, just to keep the other team honest.

I never really cared for Love anyway due to how he played the pathetic hurt victim after he got tangled up with Kelly. What a drama queen.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am

Blake took 113 3's last year, so he passed you test already.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01.html

when I compare them at that website for last year, Love is much better at making 3's , Free throws and rebounding per 36 min.

Blake is a much better passer and low post scorer.

about even in points, steals and blocks.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 am

kdp59 wrote:Blake took 113 3's last year, so he passed you test already.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01.html

A little over one per game, I can live with that.  He took more last season than practically his entire career, so hopefully his percent made goes up a bit with more familiarity.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 am

Blake just started following IT on twitter.

it's all but over now!!

Cool
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

If what it would cost us to get either guy was going to be equal, I would definitely take Love.

He is far more reliable as far as availability even if he may not be quite as athletic. He also provides more rebounds per game and shoots three pointers much better.

With that said Love is going to be more costly as far as having to put players into a deal to make the salary work. With what we have to offer I believe that a third team will have to be involved which would force us to give up at least one of our top picks either this year or next year. Of course, players would still have to be traded.

I guess that I will pass on both guys at this time.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Clyde,

Danny Can get Blake for only the cap space needed to sign him. Figure he'd need to renounce Amir and Young to get down to the cap. Renounce Kelly and Jerebko and cutting Zeller get us at $25M plus in space.Mickey and the rights to Green or Jackson gets us pretty close.

Love wil cost us traded assets/players along with cap space (minus players traded).

I think there is a rela chance we end up with Blake in FA and J. Jackson from the draft.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 pm

KDP,

Yes, having to disrupt a large portion of our core (to make salaries match) is the reason that I do not think that Love will come to Boston.

The idea of paying max salary to Griffin seems to be way too much money for a guy who is such a health risk.

Both guys could help us on the court, but I will still pass on both of them.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down