2017-2018 Salary Cap To Drop To $99M

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2017-2018 Salary Cap To Drop To $99M

Post by bobheckler on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
1 minute ago
Teams have been informed the NBA expects the salary cap to go down from latest projections, per league source. $99 million the new number.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017-2018 Salary Cap To Drop To $99M

Post by fierce on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 am

This means that Jae Crowder must go because the Celts are now short 2m to sign Hayward the max.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 am

fierce wrote:This means that Jae Crowder must go because the Celts are now short 2m to sign Hayward the max.

That`s one way of looking at it. Crowder is a topnotch two way player.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:50 am

99 million is still a workable number for many deals. 

Consider this trade boston recinds all its cap holds and does not pick up the zeller option and the payroll is at 63.9 million predraft.

Boston sends #''s 3, 37, 53 and 56 and d. Jackson/rozier to new York for Anthony and kristaps 

If my sleepy brains math was correct that's still within the 125% percent we'd take back. Making this deal still make resigning Thomas and bradley plateable  for one season till Anthony was off the books.

In the meantime we still have the 8+ million mid level to offer a vet,  don't think k.o. would take a 1 year hometown deal but another vet may like that money and the shot to play for a title that comes with it. Jerebko would also be an option to return with some of that money. 

Still have the ability to sign nader, zizic and yabby.

A lineup could look like this

5- kristaps/  zizic/ horford/
4- horford/ yabby/ anthoney/jordan/ crowder
3- anthoney/crowder/brown/smart/nader
2-bradley/brown/smart
1-thomas/smart
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:31 am

I'm not sure how Jackson (1.4M), Rozier ( 1.99M) amd #3 pick ( $5M) com anywhere CLOSE to matching Melo and Prozingis ( $30M).

must be that new math they keep talking about.
and renouncing ALL cap holds includes Kelly.

nothing changes cap wise as I believe the max contact numbers are based on the Salary cap anyway.

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/nba_informs_teams_of_dip_in_sa.html

NBA releases lower salary cap projection: How are Boston Celtics impacted?

Updated on June 22, 2017 at 2:09 AM Posted on June 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM

Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics will be impacted by the new salary cap projections.
Danny Ainge and the Boston Celtics will be impacted by the new salary cap projections.(AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

BY JAY KING

BOSTON -- The NBA informed teams late Wednesday night that the 2017-18 salary cap is now expected to fall shy of previous projections, according to a league source.

Next season's salary cap is now projected at approximately $99 million, down from $101 million, the source told MassLive.com. If the cap lands where the league now anticipates, the drop-off from previous projections would make it more difficult for teams like the Boston Celtics to manufacture maximum salary space this summer, but would also drive down the price of maximum contracts, which are determined by the cap.  

The Celtics were always going to need to make concessions to clear space for a top free agent like Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin, but would need a little extra roster work to free up that type of money under the new projection, if one of the players decides to relocate to Boston. That could mean renouncing rights to all current free agents, purging young players like Terry Rozier and Demetrius Jackson, and keeping Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele overseas. It could mean trading an established player to make the dollars work. Either way, the Celtics will need to make some tough decisions if they hit a home run on the free-agent market.

In part, they can blame the super teams. While there are other factors, the playoff dominance of the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers contributed to the lowered projection:

Follow
Albert Nahmad @AlbertNahmad
The NBA lost significant revenue from the short playoffs, which had a multiplier impact on the projected salary cap.
8:38 PM - 21 Jun 2017
 115 115 Retweets   105 105 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The Celtics did save more than $1 million in 2017-18 salary by swapping the No. 1 overall pick for the third selection in this draft, which could come in handy while team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge chases additional moves this summer.

bob
MY NOTE: Hmmm. So the short playoffs hurt every team in the league? Wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of blowback against the creation of super teams at league meetings this summer. I don't know how, but losing $3M off the salary cap is the type of thing that will unite most of the owners.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 am

jrleftfoot wrote:
fierce wrote:This means that Jae Crowder must go because the Celts are now short 2m to sign Hayward the max.

If not Crowder then Avery Bradley.

Either Crowder or Bradley must go for the Celts to afford a max contract player like Hayward or Griffin.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am

fierce wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

If not Crowder then Avery Bradley.

Either Crowder or Bradley must go for the Celts to afford a max contract player like Hayward or Griffin.

Hayward is already passing up millions to sign here, what's a few millions more so he can join a stronger, better team? (JK, not likely as it is)

As for Griffin, Danny has to juggle player continuity and team improvement in order to sign a max contract. Someone from the rotation will have to go.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

kdp59 wrote:I'm not sure how Jackson (1.4M), Rozier ( 1.99M) amd #3 pick ( $5M) com anywhere CLOSE to matching Melo and Prozingis ( $30M).

must be that new math they keep talking about.
and renouncing ALL cap holds includes Kelly.

nothing changes cap wise as I believe the max contact numbers are based on the Salary cap anyway.

of course renouncing all cap holds would include Kelly, when i brought him back up i only did so in connection with using the 8+ million mid level exception. this would be the best we could offer him after renouncing him, and i also suggested it only as a one year deal.

So Danny's offer would look like this, Hey Kelly, you see where we are at, we love you, Brad lovs you, you're an important part of this team, but right now there just isn't the money you could get elsewhere on the table to offer you. What we can give you is the full mid level Exception, a the best shot you might have at winning a title unless you go to Ohio where they hate you or Golden state. We understand you need to consider this business side of things but next year we could do a whole lot better for you if you take this deal.

I don't know K.O. personally, but I'm not sure he would risk a 3-4 yr contract with 12-15 million yearly for the deal Danny could offer him. I said as much in my post.

as far as the new math, I'm not sure at which point we go from using the 16/17 salaries to the 17/18 salaries but in my quite sleepy and drug enhanced state last night i looked at things from the 17/18 season.

as this point, Boston has  $71,940,058 on the books, plus cap holds, after the draft i think there would be holds on the first rounders as well. no holds on second rounders until a deal is in place? and of course until july 1 when Yabby, Nader and Zizic can be signed there are no holds on them.

renouncing all cap holds (including Olynyck) leaves us at that 71+ million mark.

for the purpose of discussing the trade i brought up i said we would also have to decline Zellers option as well, in reality Zeller could be declined or put into the trade going back to new York if Phil (I could only wish I was better than Red) Jackson desired him, the end effect is the same regardless.

The effect of either option leaves us with a base salary of $63,940,058.

I added Rozier not to get rid of the guy, but he's going to be pretty da@mn good and ought to be considered worth a very nice draft pick by himself on the market, add in our logjam win the guard dept. and the small cost of his contract and him loss of salary and Jacksons helps the numbers out a bit.

the outgoing salary is $3,373,270 putting us on the hook for $60,566,788

if the New Cap is at exactly 99 million  we would have exactly $38,433,212 dollars to play with.

Anthony's contract is for $26,243,760 Porzingis deal is for $4,503,600

that's a combined amount of  $30,747,360

by virtue of having already been under the cap the Boston Celtics would not be required to match salaries. Matching salaries is only required for teams making deals which put them or already where and would continue to be over the cap, in which case the oncoming contracts could not exceed 125% of what they were returning to the trade partner unless there were trade exceptions (there would not be in Bostons case and no need to complicate this with all that intel)

Boston thus could absorb the deals of Anthony and Porzingis and STILL be under the cap by $7,685,852

Actually my math last night i was doing in my head I just realized was somewhat off,  so i will admit my mistake, which might be a positive one.

I thought we would be just under the cap with this deal, by about a million or less. ( I was tired, in signifigent discomfort and medicated so theres my excuses lol)

So while Zeller would have to be either sent along to New York or have his option declined. Boston would still have enough space to not be forced to renounce a player like Jerebko.

Boston would be about $100,000 away from having had the money to retain Olynycks cap hold as another option, so either packing Jordan Mikey in a deal (The new York one or another) somewhere or cutting the poor b@st@rd would also get us within range of not having to renounce him (Kelly Olynyck) at all.

So while you were right, The incoming contracts from New York would not be anywhere close to matching up, there is no reason for them to have too.

The Math I used, wasn't that new fangled math you've been hearing about ( Bisto Mathmatics i assume?) but rather just following basic addition and subtraction  within the NBA;s trade guidelines.

and for the record, I'm not overly excited about adding Carmelo Anthony to the Celtics, but I believe all the negative aside the addition of Him does help us improve to a degree. Kristaps Porzingis on the other hand, being a part of the deal i think improves our odds better than any rookie we might pick up this season in the draft.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 pm

I do not think we can sign a player for a year, if we renounce him.

also we are at $112.9M with holds and that is without the #3 pick counting yet.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2017/

we gotta drop about $18M to get at the cap (thats renouncing Amir and Young).

after that you still gotta get the cap room to add the Salary you are bringing back ( $30M minus whatever you sent out).

Zeller, Jerebko and Kelly gets you over $25M. But you need to renounce them all to do it.

Much easier to include Crowder or Bradley to get the deal done.

kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm

News dropped in the @tribjazz podcast: Gordon Hayward is torn on if he should stay in Utah or leave in free agency 7 hours ago – via Twitter
Free Agency, Gordon Hayward, Utah Jazz
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 am

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
3 minutes ago
NBA officially sets salary cap at $99.093 million for this season. Tax level is $119.266 million.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top