Danny Ainge "Nothing is Untouchable"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Danny Ainge "Nothing is Untouchable"

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:33 am

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/23/celtics-danny-ainge-nba-draft-rumors-trades-toucher-and-rich/

Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Nothing Is Untouchable’

June 23, 2017 10:31 AM

BOSTON (CBS) — The dust has settled on a riveting 2017 NBA Draft, and the Boston Celtics can now turn their attention to free agency and the trade market.

Boston added a gifted scorer to their roster with the third overall pick in Duke’s Jayson Tatum, but now the fun really begins. Celtics president of basketball ops. Danny Ainge joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Friday, and though the team did have some talks about trading away that No. 3 pick, he said nothing was close.

“It’s like trading in the stock markets, it’s non-stop on the phone,” Ainge said of the frantic nature of draft day. “In reality, we were never close to trading the No. 3 pick. Of course conversations existed, but we were never close to doing that.”

Ainge said he wasn’t close to trading for Chicago Bulls guard Jimmy Butler, who ended up going to the Minnesota Timberwolves for guards Kris Dunn and Zach LaVine along with the No. 7 pick (used to draft Arizona forward Lauri Markkanen), and all of that Kristaps Porzingis chatter was just a wild rumor.

“I don’t believe that New York was genuinely going to move him and that was pretty evident in a very quick conversation,” said Ainge.

Though no trades came to fruition on Thursday night, it sounds like Ainge is gearing up for a busy summer once again.

“Who knows what is going to happen. We had plans last July that we weren’t able to get, but we were able to get Al Horford. This summer we have a lot of cap space and plans A through C or D. But who knows what will happen. We will be very busy and very active,” he said.

Ainge said the team has some shuffling to do in order to accomplish what they want to in free agency, so expect a trade or two to clear out some cap space off of the roster. And while he wouldn’t give it up in that rumored deal for Porzingis, Ainge said next year’s Brooklyn Nets pick could be included in a swap this summer.

“Nothing is untouchable,” he said.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Re: Danny Ainge "Nothing is Untouchable"

Post by NYCelt on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:35 am

Was listening to ESPN while working out yesterday, and the comment was made about the sheer number of trade rumors that revolve around Ainge and the Celtics.  The commentary went on to say at some point he should stop talking about trades and actually make one.

While I disagree, and can point to a number of swaps, and some very good ones that Ainge has originated, I agree with the sentiment.  Not that we need to make more trades, but that I'm tired of the distraction and the far-fetched nature of so many of the rumors.

There are always trade rumors in any league, but the NBA has taken silly season to a new level.  In my opinion, this is just nonsense and a distraction that takes away from the enjoyment of following a team and the game of basketball.  The more I think about it, it's probably among the many reasons I prefer the college game, and watch few pro games other than the Celtics.  Maybe a 'Save the NBA from Twitter' movement is an idea, or something like that.

...just my unsolicited commentary for the day.  Carry on.
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 am

NYCelt wrote:Was listening to ESPN while working out yesterday, and the comment was made about the sheer number of trade rumors that revolve around Ainge and the Celtics.  The commentary went on to say at some point he should stop talking about trades and actually make one.

While I disagree, and can point to a number of swaps, and some very good ones that Ainge has originated, I agree with the sentiment.  Not that we need to make more trades, but that I'm tired of the distraction and the far-fetched nature of so many of the rumors.

There are always trade rumors in any league, but the NBA has taken silly season to a new level.  In my opinion, this is just nonsense and a distraction that takes away from the enjoyment of following a team and the game of basketball.  The more I think about it, it's probably among the many reasons I prefer the college game, and watch few pro games other than the Celtics.  Maybe a 'Save the NBA from Twitter' movement is an idea, or something like that.

...just my unsolicited commentary for the day.  Carry on.

NYCelt,

Firstly, I agree with you how the NBA has become silly with its non-stop rumor-mongering. However, I cannot think of any trade rumor coming from Danny. Did he answer questions about trade rumors after the deadline? Yeah, but they were pretty much all "nothing was happening". Hadn't talked to Chicago about Butler for a while, which the pundits knocked him for. Didn't think the rumor about Porzingis was well-founded (he said that it only took a very brief phone call with Phil to figure out there was no real interest in trading Porzingis. So, why did that rumor persist? Not because of Danny, it happened because the press believed Phil (or were deliberately obtuse to keep the story alive) and because Danny has put us in a position where we are best positioned to do the deal with Phil).

You don't watch the NBA, other than the Celtics, because of the NBA hoopla. I don't watch college sports because of the talent. I can tune out the hoopla but I can't make the talent better. :-)

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 am

The trade rumor mill does not bother me either way, but I really liked Ainge's comment about "nothing is untouchable" when relating to what he may do.

Ainge is a great guy to try to figure out, and I am still only guessing at every single turn.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 pm

There was a time ,back in the 50's through the 80's, when Providence college and college basketball shared equal billing for me with the Celtics and the NBA -  but league shuffling and free agency dampened my interest in the college game. The "rumor" gossip that dominates the the basketball scene this time of the year is not a problem for me - because I am totally aware of the millions of internet amateurs, like myself, that flood the scene with often times unfounded speculation. I take part in this speculation as an interested fan - but fully understand just how limited I am in basketball knowledge when compared to the pros that run each and every nba club  - a million rumors and a couple of handfuls of done deals is what we get each year.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Bob,

I didn't mean to imply any of the rumors came from Ainge.  It comes more from writers with nothing to write, combining with rabid fans hanging on every word and social media that suffers from a dearth of legitimate sources.

Actually, I watch NCAA basketball because I think it's a better game than the NBA.  I used to watch mostly NBA in the 70's and 80's but got bored with it. The college pace is faster and I find the defense tougher, while the offense is less predictable. It seems that most innovation comes from the college ranks as well. Not all of the guys that play college ball will have the talent to turn pro, but on balance, I think the college game is flat out more exciting to watch.  NBA games are too often nap-inducing in my view.

Regards
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 pm

If you went on the many web sites up and running the days before the draft and the day of the draft, there were so many rumors that it became comical..  All along I felt as though the NY rumors were a joke and that Phil just loved all the attention. He Never had any intention of
Making a trade. Unless he was able to suck someone into taking Melo or Noah off his hands.. Whoever I talked to that day had some new crazy trade they were talking about. Very tiring listening to foolish rumors.  
Sure, Danny has so many "chips" that everyone says it is time to move and trade away some of them.  What if these trades offer no real improvement to our team? Patience is a virtue, I am willing to wait until the right trade comes along or free agent signing. NYCelt, I see where you are coming from. Try living here in Boston and listening day in and day out to all these genius's. They drive you nuts and that is where I think the impatience stems from
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:19 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:If you went on the many web sites up and running the days before the draft and the day of the draft, there were so many rumors that it became comical..  All along I felt as though the NY rumors were a joke and that Phil just loved all the attention. He Never had any intention of
Making a trade. Unless he was able to suck someone into taking Melo or Noah off his hands.. Whoever I talked to that day had some new crazy trade they were talking about. Very tiring listening to foolish rumors.  
Sure, Danny has so many "chips" that everyone says it is time to move and trade away some of them.  What if these trades offer no real improvement to our team? Patience is a virtue, I am willing to wait until the right trade comes along or free agent signing. NYCelt, I see where you are coming from. Try living here in Boston and listening day in and day out to all these genius's. They drive you nuts and that is where I think the impatience stems from

The most ludicrous trade proposal I heard before draft night 2017 is the #1 pick for the #5 and #10 and Willie Cauley-Stein.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm

I guess that we shall see if the 3rd pick turns out to be of more value than the 5th pick, the 10th pick and Cauley-Stein.

Since we have the third pick, I surely hope that Fierce is correct, but the fifth pick could have been the tall, skinny kid from FSU and the tenth pick could have been Giles from Duke. Cauley-Stein would have clearly been in our forward/center rotation last year if he had been on the roster ahead of Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey and perhaps even Olynyk so he does have some value.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:54 pm

wideclyde wrote:I guess that we shall see if the 3rd pick turns out to be of more value than the 5th pick, the 10th pick and Cauley-Stein.

Since we have the third pick, I surely hope that Fierce is correct, but the fifth pick could have been the tall, skinny kid from FSU and the tenth pick could have been Giles from Duke. Cauley-Stein would have clearly been in our forward/center rotation last year if he had been on the roster ahead of Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey and perhaps even Olynyk so he does have some value.

Celtic fans have been waiting forever for the Celtics to end up with the #1 pick.
And since Ainge traded the #1 pick, until now the Boston Celtics still have not had a #1 pick that they ended up keeping.

The morale of the fan base will be at an all-time low if the Celts started the month of June with the #1 pick and ended up just picking #5 and #10.

Danny Ainge will be the laughing stock of NBA execs if he did that.

And I didn't say the #3 pick for the #5 and #10 pick and Cauley-Stein, the proposal was the #1 pick for #5, #10, and Cauley-Stein.
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top