Drexler corrects lebron

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drexler corrects lebron

Post by Matty on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19734243/clyde-drexler-lebron-james-boston-celtics-not-houston-rockets-were-first-big-three

It's odd how someone who has gone on record praising his  own unique  and amazing basketball IQ rarely seems to be aware the NBA even existed before Michael Jordan.
 Glad Clyde could step up and lend a bit of edjahmahkation to the lad.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Re: Drexler corrects lebron

Post by bobheckler on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Matty wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19734243/clyde-drexler-lebron-james-boston-celtics-not-houston-rockets-were-first-big-three

It's odd how someone who has gone on record praising his  own unique  and amazing basketball IQ rarely seems to be aware the NBA even existed before Michael Jordan.

Matty,

This is the same nitwit with the historical horizon of a junebug who said the league should permanently retire #23 in honor of MJ, and then went to Miami and wore #6.

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 pm

LeBron is very foolish to compare his Heat and these Golden State Warriors 'superteams' to the 90's Rockets while not even mentioning the 80's Celtics and Lakers, who were actually superteams. Get a clue LeBron!

Those Rockets won titles with one star in '94 and two in '95. By the time they had 3 with Barkley they couldn't even get to the finals. They were like the 2010 Celtics, all 33-36 and just past their prime.

1986 Celtics had 5 Hall of Famers. Probably the greatest team of all-time.

People always like to lump Cousy and Havlicek together on the 60's Celtics dynasty but they only played one season together, 1962-63. While you'd think that would be the greatest team of the dynasty, the players along for all (or most) of the ride actually claim the '62 and '64 clubs were the best. Go figure!

Last edited by BleedGreen on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Does anyone edit things for ESPN? That article is full of errors.

Already said how you can't say 'teams' that Cousy and Havlicek were on, since they were only together on one team.

Also the Lakers with Payton and Malone were not the 2002-03 Lakers but the following season and were NOT a superteam since Payton and Malone were well past their prime and barely average starters by then.

Also Barkley didn't join the Rockets until 1997-98, he was still on Phoenix during the 1995-96 season the article twice mentions as the 90's Rockets team LeBron was mentioning. And they get paid for this?

There were many 'superteams' that were built through drafts and trades, including the 2008 Celtics, who stopped being one as soon as KG hurt his knee. But, LeBron started the trend of snowflake millenials not cutting it when trying to win by the club that drafted them, colluding together with other stars while under contract, signing mega free agent deals to play with each other, breaking the hearts of a fan base and still feeling like they "earned" that title.
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

I guess if the C's win a chip in the near future it will be b/c Horford and Hayward signed max deals here.

While neither were top 15 players and they came a year apart so 'collusion' had little to do with it, it will still be a less appealing title team than the 80's clubs and the one in '08. I'll be rooting like crazy for them anyhow!
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm

BleedGreen, I must say that judging by your first 3 posts, you are going to be a great addition to the forum and will fit right in, welcome aboard!
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 pm

willjr wrote:BleedGreen, I must say that judging by your first 3 posts, you are going to be a great addition to the forum and will fit right in, welcome aboard!

Thanks!

From what I've seen the last week this forum looks top-notch and full of intelligent fans. I began looking for places to discuss outside of twitter with the excitement of this draft and free agency being extremely high in anticipation of the team getting even further in the playoffs next year.

Extremely excited for the C's future and glad to be here!
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Matty wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19734243/clyde-drexler-lebron-james-boston-celtics-not-houston-rockets-were-first-big-three

Hi,
It's nice that Clyde-the-Glide knows where/what/who he's "gliding" off.
Unfortunately, some of the current stars don't know what they're talking about:e.g. Lebron and #6....

AK
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

I have been an NBA junkie since I was 7 years old.
I never remember hearing the term Super Team or Big 3 until Boston brought together KG, Ray and Pierce.
Of course, Boston had a super team in the 50's and 60's.
The Lakers and Celtics each had a Big 3 or Big 4 in the 80's.

Super Team and Big 3 or Big 4 seem to be pretty new terms that often mean when players want to come together to make a Super Team. Examples are when LeBron, Wade and Bosh came together in Miami. When Durant wanted to go to GS to make a Super, Super Team. When KG agreed to come to Boston.
The Celtics players in the 50's, 60's, 80's or the Lakers players of the 80's were not brought together because the players decided they wanted to play together to form a Super Team.

Lebron absolutely knows NBA history.
He knows about past super teams.
To get on Lebron over this is opportunistic and an unnecessary jab at him.
Often the Lebron bashing here is out of jealousy.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am

tj,

Bird, Parish and McHale were always called the Big 3. That term is absolutely not new. Pierce, KG and Allen were called the New Big 3 at first by some fans, due to the memory and respect of our real Big 3.

You can claim "jealousy" 100 times (I think you are up to 99 Very Happy ) but no one here buys it. If your claim that Bronny knows NBA history is true, how come he says so many stupid and ignorant things that suggests otherwise?

Lastly, we here will take every opportunity to get on him with absolutely necessary jabs as we see fit.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

gyso wrote:tj,

Bird, Parish and McHale were always called the Big 3.  That term is absolutely not new.  Pierce, KG and Allen were called the New Big 3 at first by some fans, due to the memory and respect of our real Big 3.

You can claim "jealousy" 100 times (I think you are up to 99  Very Happy ) but no one here buys it.  If your claim that Bronny knows NBA history is true, how come he says so many stupid and ignorant things that suggests otherwise?

Lastly, we here will take every opportunity to get on him with absolutely necessary jabs as we see fit.

gyso

In thinking about it, yes Boston's players were called the Big 3. Not sure how DJ wasn't a part of that.
Lebron was specifically responding to the assertion about him starting the first "Superteam".

This is from the ESPN article:
James was responding to Draymond Green's declaration at the Golden State Warriors' victory parade that James had "started the superteam" with the Miami Heat, a few days after James had said he never played on a superteam.

So, what players "started" the first superteam? It wasn't the players from the 50's, 60's or 80's.
It probably was the Celtics teams of KG, Ray and Paul.
Yes, you can continue to bash Lebron as much as you want.
The league and the players respect him tremendously.
I know that some fans of opposing teams don't, and that's their choice.
Even Clyde Drexler showed tremendous respect to Lebron even though he disagreed with him.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 am

I have tremendous respect for LeBron, too. I just disagree with him.

Already anticipating he'll join LAL next year............that's obvious, too
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 am

Much ado about nothing.
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:50 am

tj,

You say . . .

"So, what players "started" the first superteam? It wasn't the players from the 50's, 60's or 80's.
It probably was the Celtics teams of KG, Ray and Paul."

That is absolutely not true.  That team was put together by team management, not by the players.  It is ridiculous to say otherwise.

Likewise, you can continue to bash the Celtics as much as you want.
The league and the players respect them tremendously.

As to "Superteams", that phrase may be new.  GSW 2016-2017 new.  If it was invented to describe teams where the players themselves colluded together in order to get other players to form the teams, it only works for LeBron, Wade and Bosh with the Heat.  Maybe it works for Durant joining the Warriors, but to me that seems like a great free agent signing, nothing more, nothing less.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:05 am

I hated them referring to the KG/Pierce/Ray team as the Big 3. A major part of why the 80s group of Bird/McHale/Parish was the Big 3 was because of their positions and size, 3-4-5. The one from 10 years ago was more like the medium 3, 2-3-4.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:05 am

Leaving a team to go play with your buddies is different than being traded to a team. And it is certainly different than being drafted. Clyde is dead wrong. Russell, Cousy, Hondo and Jones were all drafted. Magic and Worthy were drafted to a team that already had Kareem, although HE was acquired via trade.
The Super teams were started by guys who wanted to play together and chase a ring. Who started it can be open to debate, (I believe Clyde, Malone and Payton are all guilty of this), but to leave your original team and collude to form one really good team is the genesis of the word super team.
Also, both fail to mention that Michael, Larry and Magic would never have done such a thing..............
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am

tjmakz wrote:
Often the Lebron bashing here is out of jealousy.

Not by me, 

What does he have that I would be jealous over?
  His Money? 
My wife and I made a great deal last year more than we needed.
 His real estate?
We are looking to downsize.
His Fame?
Don't want it.  Or the hassle that comes with it
  His amazing basketball IQ?
I'm likely one of the lowest BB IQS on this forum and still think I'm a match for him on NBA history.
 His popularity and all his freinds?
I'm middle class, have freinds in all 50 states and multiple countries, probably more freinds than him now. If a health condition took away his career and suddenly his  finicial cituation changed and ended up on par with mine, I think he'd find himself with significantly less freinds than me.
 His kids?
 Never wanted any.
 His wife?
 Mine is better endowed.

Nope, he ain't got a thing I'm jealous of him over. 

My opinion of him is simply this,  he is an egomaniac who plays basketball for a living,  he is a bit overrated and his talent/physical prowless has allowed him to live a life of self entitlement, and he plays for teams not called the Boston Celtics. Ohh.. and I really don't think he knows his NBA history.
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by swish on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 am

After playing 2nd fiddle to the Celts for so many years - I wonder if there was a chance that Baylor, West, Robertson and Wilt ( among others ) might have jumped ship for more money and perhaps a better chance at a ring - if  free agency had existed back in the 50's-60's.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 am

KyleCleric wrote:I hated them referring to the KG/Pierce/Ray team as the Big 3. A major part of why the 80s group of Bird/McHale/Parish was the Big 3 was because of their positions and size, 3-4-5. The one from 10 years ago was more like the medium 3, 2-3-4.
    Your completely correct kyle, bUT "medium 3" doesn't sound so catchy.

But the talk ever since then has been equelly annoying, with every tom, dick and Harry of NBA teams having its "own big 3"
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 pm

LeBron, I'm sure a well-read man with supreme NBA history, must have read:
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Three-Peter-May/dp/1416552073

But of course he did!
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

gyso wrote:tj,

You say . . .

"So, what players "started" the first superteam? It wasn't the players from the 50's, 60's or 80's.
It probably was the Celtics teams of KG, Ray and Paul."

That is absolutely not true.  That team was put together by team management, not by the players.  It is ridiculous to say otherwise.

Likewise, you can continue to bash the Celtics as much as you want.
The league and the players respect them tremendously.

As to "Superteams", that phrase may be new.  GSW 2016-2017 new.  If it was invented to describe teams where the players themselves colluded together in order to get other players to form the teams, it only works for LeBron, Wade and Bosh with the Heat.  Maybe it works for Durant joining the Warriors, but to me that seems like a great free agent signing, nothing more, nothing less.

gyso

KG agreed to be traded to Boston to play with Pierce and the newly acquired Ray Allen.
KG had a no trade provision in his contract with Minnesota.
He agreed to waive it to form a new "Superteam".
Yes, of course the Management wanted this too.
As did Pat Riley when he signed Bosh and Lebron and GS when they signed Durant.

I do agree with jrleftfoot.
This is much to do about nothing.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Chamberlain agreed to be traded to a team that had West and Baylor...............

Term super team was not invented until LeBron and his mates joined together. I don't recall him objecting to it at the time, but I do recall....." not 3, not 4...." wonder why he said that?
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm

tj,

And now this is much to do about nothing.

Like usual, you've tied yourself into a pretzel with your "logic". It's always good for a laugh.

Thanks,

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Chamberlain agreed to be traded to a team that had West and Baylor...............

Term super team was not invented until LeBron and his mates joined together.  I don't recall him objecting to it at the time, but I do recall....." not 3, not 4...."  wonder why he said that?

We have no idea what Wilt agreed to...
There were not any No Trade Clauses in contracts back then.
Good try though.
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:43 pm

From Dr. Jack Ramsey's book:
I was general manager of that Sixers team and got to know Wilt quite well. When Alex Hannum left the Sixers to coach Oakland in the ABA, I talked with many candidates to replace him. Among them were Frank McGuire, John Kundla, and Earl Lloyd, each of whom could have had the job, but declined it for various reasons. Chamberlain often stopped by the Sixers office to inquire how the coach search was going. When time went by without a selection, he told owner Irv Kosloff and me that he'd be interested in becoming player/coach if I would help him with the Xs and Os. The suggestion took us both by surprise and we said that we'd give it some thought. We agreed to meet again in a week, after Wilt had returned from a trip to the West Coast.

I liked the idea. I thought that Wilt would play with added intensity knowing his name was on the line, and I was confident that I could help with the technical aspects of the job. Koz and I talked it over and agreed that we'd make a deal with Chamberlain to be the team's coach. But when Wilt returned, he said that he had changed his mind, that he was not going to play in Philadelphia again, and he demanded a trade to a West Coast team - to Seattle, Los Angeles, or San Diego. When we indicated that we weren't interested in trading him, he said that he'd jump to the ABA team in Los Angeles. (The ability of NBA players to leave their existing teams began in 1967 when Rick Barry, a free agent at the time, left the San Francisco Warriors of the NBA to join Oakland of the newly formed ABA. Barry was forced by a court order to sit out a year, but then played for Oakland in 1968-69, and played three more years in the ABA for other teams before returning to the NBA with the Golden State Warriors in 1972. With that precedent established, NBA players who were not under contract looked to enhance their bargaining position by threatening to "jump" to the ABA. Chamberlain knew that he was playing with a strong negotiating chip.)

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. I had come to the meeting brimming with enthusiasm, prepared to fill the coaching void, and suddenly found myself, still without a coach and with the prospect of losing the most powerful player in the game. Koz, who was accustomed to Wilt's negotiating ploys (he only did one-year contracts, had no agent, and did all the negotiating himself), tried to push the discussion aside. But Wilt said that he was serious about his decision and that in now way would he play for Philadelphia again. He walked out of the meeting leaving me with my mouth hanging open.

We eventually worked out a deal with the Lakers - the only team Wilt later said he would go to

Nice try? THANKS!!
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top