Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback

+5
wideclyde
bobheckler
KyleCleric
kdp59
9 posters

Go down

Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback Empty Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback

Post by 112288 Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback

WEEI

Alex Reimer

The Celtics appear to have a backup plan if they're unable to land free agent forward Gordon Hayward.

The Boston Herald's Mark Murphy reports the team has reached out to Danilo Gallinari, though they haven't scheduled a meeting yet. The Celtics are sitting down with Hayward Sunday, and plan to make a basketball-centric pitch, with Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford flying to Boston to join the proceedings. Thomas also took part in an emoji war Saturday –– words I never thought I would type –– to convince Hayward to join him in Boston. No word on whether the message was received.

With Blake Griffin remaining in Los Angeles and Paul George heading to Oklahoma City, there's pressure on the Celtics to strike a deal with Hayward. Even though Brad Stevens coached Hayward at Butler University, Boston may not be the front-runner for his services. The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor reported Saturday the Heat are emerging as the favorite to land the All-Star.

Gallinari, who's reportedly seeking to earn roughly $20 million per season, would be a fallback option for the Celtics. He can play either forward position and is a career 37 percent shooter from three-point range. His injury history is a problem, however. Gallinari has only played more than 70 games in a season twice during his nine-year NBA career.

The 2008 No. 6 overall pick averaged 18.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game with the Nuggets last season.

Back to top Go down

Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback Empty Re: Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 am

Oh god...this is bad, he is horrible.

but another Denver player could be a good pickup for us.

Mason Plumlee

he is a RFA however and it looks like they kept his rights even with the Millsap deal (which I saw had a team option for the third year, BTW).

I doubt Danny has any interest though, because Plumlee is a big man.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback Empty Re: Celtics reportedly targeting Danilo Gallinari as Gordon Hayward fallback

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:41 am

He'd be able to improve our scoring and shooting, both important elements we needed to improve this offseason. Gallo would be our 2nd best scorer. He could profile to the the 4 but his effectiveness for us there would be projection at this point. Rebounding isn't a strength. He'd definitely improve our chances this year.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 am

It is becoming clear, to me, that Brad and Danny are taking us towards the GSW/Houston model.  High powered offense powered from the perimeter and high-switching defense rather than straight-up man-to-man in the paint defense.

Who are the top teams?  Who were their bigs?

1.  GSW.  Zaza (18.1mpg) and McGee (9.6mpg).  That's only 27.7mpg of true centers.  #1 offense.  #11 defense.  World Champions, and it wasn't even close.

2.  Cleveland.  6'9" Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love, and Love isn't exactly the 2nd coming of Bill Russell.  #4 offense.  #20 defense.  Blew us away with their offense.  

3.  Houston.  Their centers were 6'9" Clint Capela and Septuagenarian Nene.  #2 offense.  #26 defense.

Who were the top defensive teams last year?

1.  Utah - bounced in the 1st round by the #1 offense.
2.  San Antonio Spurs - hard to say with Kawhi out, but they struggled anyway.
3.  Memphis - Lost to the Spurs in the 1st round.
4.  Dallas - Didn't make the playoffs.
5.  Miami - Didn't make the playoffs, despite having a great center.

The Celtics were 7th in offense and 15th in defense, and we made it to the EC Finals. A good, but not great, offense and a mediocre defense.

Whether we like it or not, that's the way the game is going.  The Mike (No) D'Antoni Model.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 am

Bob,

Spot on analysis of Ainge's direction for the Cs. And, not a bad way for us to go because as much as Cleveland kind of old fashioned beat us up in the playoffs, they also got whipped in the finals by the best of the true run and gun teams of this era.

Types of offense and overall team play are kind of like fashion in that they recycle in time, but since Golden State is not about to change their dynamic approach any time soon catching them will require us or someone else to play their system better than they (GS) do.

Slowing a team down in any way is certainly not an option for any team in the NBA if they plan on catching the Warriors any time soon. I certainly could not advocate any approach that would include "waiting" for this current offensive craze to pass quickly.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am

KyleCleric wrote:He'd be able to improve our scoring and shooting, both important elements we needed to improve this offseason. Gallo would be our 2nd best scorer. He could profile to the the 4 but his effectiveness for us there would be projection at this point. Rebounding isn't a strength. He'd definitely improve our chances this year.

when he's not on the trainng table he can score yeah. But is he better than Kelly?

that would be a BIG NO, siorry.

Danny has always supposedly like him, so I am sure he;ll give him $20M per year to sit injured for us.

yes Bob, Danilo does fit with that no defense model for sure!!

Very Happy
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am

Gallo is a much better player than Kelly

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 am

Gallo and Kelly play different positions. He is a HUGE upgrade offensively over Crowder.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Gallinari is not good enough to make a major difference. Would rather be a little worse this year and let the youngins play more.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm not a Danilo fan, but he's way better than Kelly he actually is very fluid and not an adventure/spass every time he drives.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Gallinari is not good enough to make a major difference. Would rather be a little worse this year and let the youngins play more.

I feel the same way about Hayward, plus with another max contract how we gonna sign IT, AB and Smart? We could be better with Hayward, but not good enough to get past Lebron or GS. On another note I was at a barbecue talking to a serious hoops friend who's been following Tatum since he was 14, he swears Tatum is going to be a HoF player. His kids play on the AAU circuit.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I'm not a Danilo fan, but he's way better than Kelly he actually is very fluid and not an adventure/spass every time he drives.

Cow,

That's because he doesn't pass much. He's a black hole.

If you look at their numbers/minute they are fairy close. If you look at their offensive and defensive ratings Gallinari's offensive numbers are much higher than Kelly's, but so are his defensive numbers. In other words, Gallinari is even worse on defense than Kelly.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:Gallinari is not good enough to make a major difference. Would rather be a little worse this year and let the youngins play more.

I feel the same way about Hayward, plus with another max contract how we gonna sign IT, AB and Smart? We could be better with Hayward, but not good enough to get past Lebron or GS. On another note I was at a barbecue talking to a serious hoops friend who's been following Tatum since he was 14, he swears Tatum is going to be a HoF player. His kids play on the AAU circuit.

I agree I dont really think Hayward is worth it either but you gotta pay somebody I guess. I would rather just let the talent we got now play/improve and keep our options open.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 pm

I think overall our defense is good enough. We need scorers. This is why I'm ok with Gallo as a 2nd option after Hayward. Crowder, Brown, Smart, AB and Horford are all fine defenders. Rozier is not bad, and we have Theis, DPY in Germany three years in a row.
Brad can turn him into a decent defender, and his job will be to get 20 PPG.
If Hayward fails, I'm all in for Gallo
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:49 pm

His potential as a scorer and shooter as a small 4 is interesting. We've a major scoring hole behind IT. We lost playoff games because we got bogged down for stretches or IT was limited. With either Gallo or Hayward and development from the prospects, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, possibly Smart, we possibly can have that element solved.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Per 36 Minutes

Player -----------From To ------G-----MP-- FG --FGA--- FG% -3P -3PA -3P%-2P -2PA -2P%- FT- FTA- FT% -ORB- DRB- TRB- AST -STL -BLK -TOV- PF -PTS
Danilo Gallinari- 2009 2017 -460--14322 --5.3 --12.7-- 420 -2.1- 5.7 -.370- 3.2-7.0 -.461--5.0- 5.8 -.863 --0.9- 4.5-- 5.4- 2.3 -0.9 -0.5- 1.5- 2.2 -17.7

Kelly Olynyk --2014 2017----278-- 5756-- 6.2-- 13.1--.477 -1.6 -4.3 -.368 -4.7- 8.8 -530 -2.4 --3.2 -.743--2.4 --5.8-- 8.2- 2.9- 1.2- -0.8- 2.3 --5.1--16.4

WHO is the better player?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:34 pm

I hate 36 MPG projections.

Gallo averaged 34 MPG the last two years.  Kelley has averaged 21 MPG in 4 years.  Gallo's numbers re more credible at 36 MPG and Kelly's are not.

Gallo is the superior player because he is not scared.  Kelly on the other hand is as soft as they come.

Concern with Gallo are the games missed every year.  However I think that if he was playing 27 MPG, his body could be better managed.  Gallo is a starter who led his team in scoring and KO is a rotation player that has little to offer in upside potential.

Gallo is a stretch 4 and would fit our style of play.  I think he is a free agent option if the Hayward courtship goes south.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Kelly and Gallo play two different positions
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down